Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Saab Ed wrote: »
    One word. Sludge.

I know. It's true on everything pre 04 isn't it? What I am seeing today is meant to have service history till last year anyway.

Unfortunately a service history doesn't even guaranty a sludge free engine. Unless there's a receipt in the glovebox for the sump being off and cleaned in the last 12 months then allow yourself a bill to have it done. Take the chance if you want but there's very little warning of imminent death. Intact by the time any warning comes its most likely too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Unfortunately a service history doesn't even guaranty a sludge free engine. Unless there's a receipt in the glovebox for the sump being off and cleaned in the last 12 months then allow yourself a bill to have it done. Take the chance if you want but there's very little warning of imminent death. Intact by the time any warning comes its most likely too late.

How are you not taking a chance in any 11 year old car? I am factoring in a full service and a sump drop with my Indy to the price. Once I can see regular oil changes and no pressure or engine warning lights, that's about as much as I can ask for.

What you mean sludge? Are saabs 2.0 turbo engines are bad? I am looking at saabs myself, because I wil want to scrap my bangornomics ford this year.

Yeah, both engines are vulnerable unless you are rich and can afford post 04, which I am not and can not :D

Okay, here's the quick guide to buying a 9-5.

Firstly saab (read GM ) accountants set service intervals at 12k when it should have been 6k. Two reasons; A) 12k service intervals make for lower running costs which equals easier to sell to fleet companies but B) nobody told the engineers who made the holes in the oil pick up strainer in the sump even smaller and finer. Result being that if fully synthetic oil isn't changed every 6k then the strainer gets blocked and the motor goes bang.

Secondly rear suspensions are its weak link. That said they'll get squeaky and noisy long before it becomes an NCT issue. If you're handy with the tools then most of the work can be done yourself in your drive way.

Third; listen out for noisy A/C pumps. The air con comes on automatically when the car starts so it works hard. Pressing the econ button on the dash turns it off and gets rid if the noise if there's one there.

Last check the SID display screen on the dash, €150 to replace, make sure the boot and fuel cap release buttons work on the drivers door have a good look inside the tyres cause 17 inch tyres are 120 a corner for a decent brand.

Hope that helps. By the way I'm on my 4th saab and they're bloody great cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So the 04++ 9-3 and 9-5 with 1.8t and 2.0t are fixed versions?

• Advertisement

@saab ed or others in the know, how much is it normally for a sump drop and clean? I am waiting for my mechanic to get back and Ivan looking at this car in an hour!
    I might end up doing it myself mind.

@saab ed or others in the know, how much is it normally for a sump drop and clean? I am waiting for my mechanic to get back and Ivan looking at this car in an hour!
    I might end up doing it myself mind.

100 to 150 quid with my guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

just tried my insurance co. there and a saab 2.0t aero is the only car so far over 200bhp i can get insured on :D

100 to 150 quid with my guy.

That's about what I thought. Cheers ed.

just tried my insurance co. there and a saab 2.0t aero is the only car so far over 200bhp i can get insured on :D

It's only 30€ extra a year for me for a 2.0 turbo Saab from a 1.4 megane. Crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

the line up of engines seems to be very complicated or is it just me? theres a normal 1.8 turbo, then theres a 2.0 turbo but its badged as a 1.8 and then theres a 2.0 turbo thats badged as that but has less power than the aero 2.0 turbo? and then theres a 2.3 at the top?

One word. Sludge.

I do hate the way folks mention the sludge issue with Saabs so often, feck sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

So the 04++ 9-3 and 9-5 with 1.8t and 2.0t are fixed versions?

The 9-3 new model (the non hatchback models) that came out in 03 was fixed, 9-5 from 04+

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

RoverJames wrote: »
    I do hate the way folks mention the sludge issue with Saabs so often, feck sake.

I've never heard of this or had a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

RoverJames wrote: »

I see what you did there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,130 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Okay, here's the quick guide to buying a 9-5

Nice post :)

Hit a speed bump too hard while on holiday in Wexford a few days ago and my Saab 9-5 failed the NCT yesterday on the front tracking (15m/km where 14m/km is the max it passes on)

Everything else was very good though, emissions were as good as a new car. Not bad for a 11 year old €1k car. Nice luxobangernomics :D

Also got 40MPG on open road driving (at the speed limits) with a very full car with 5 people in it. Not bad (but expect about 20-25MPG in Dublin city short trip driving)

BTW the boot in the 9-5 is about the biggest you can get in a saloon. It is bigger than in a BMW 7-series...

unkel wrote: »
    BTW the boot in the 9-5 is about the biggest you can get in a saloon. It is bigger than in a BMW 7-series...

I know, I miss mine already. Its not gone too far though, I sold it to my next door neighbour :D. See how I get on with the 9-3 now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

panama wrote: »
    I've never heard of this or had a problem with it.

Do a bit of research so :)

I'm in the gang....

• Advertisement

I'm in the gang....

What ya buy

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Stink on the inside

I'm in the gang....

What ya buy

+1

Do tell.

Do you know we should have a bangernomics get together.

+1

Do tell.

Reckon my next car is gonna be over the budget :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Do a bit of research so :)

I would if I needed to. :)

Sorry lads, I posted it in the off topic thread.

Linky

Great idea. Possibly have it near a mechanics, just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

we need a thread: "bangornomics club! " :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Okay, here's the quick guide to buying a 9-5.

Firstly saab (read GM ) ............................Result being that if fully synthetic oil isn't changed every 6k then the strainer gets blocked and the motor goes bang.

Last check the SID display screen on the dash, €150 to replace, make sure the boot and fuel cap release buttons work on the drivers door have a good look inside the tyres cause 17 inch tyres are 120 a corner for a decent brand.

Hope that helps. By the way I'm on my 4th saab and they're bloody great cars.

Ok. I'm looking at getting rid of a van and going back to a car, have been driving German luxobarges up to now but always fancied a Volvo/Saab.

I've heard of the sludge thing and the sump needs to be taken off and cleaned. Is this a simple job like on an older Merc or am I missing something?

A few nuts and screws, off with her, clean her out, new sump gasket and on again or is there something else that needs to be replaced. What oil doe they take and how much?

Don't know the 9-5 so I presume a broken SID thing is something you can live without or does it give vital info meaning it's necessary to have it?:confused:

Cheers in advance for any replies.;)

Great idea. Possibly have it near a mechanics, just in case!

How about up in that DIY garage in Tallaght? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

unkel wrote: »
    Nice post :)

Hit a speed bump too hard while on holiday in Wexford a few days ago and my Saab 9-5 failed the NCT yesterday on the front tracking (15m/km where 14m/km is the max it passes on)

Everything else was very good though, emissions were as good as a new car. Not bad for a 11 year old €1k car. Nice luxobangernomics :D

Also got 40MPG on open road driving (at the speed limits) with a very full car with 5 people in it. Not bad (but expect about 20-25MPG in Dublin city short trip driving)

but im having an awful hard time finding a clean one let alone one for the right price...

sure it might be tidy but i want to invest in one as prestine as possible... as its a buyers market :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement