Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

RoverJames wrote: »
    I do indeed, I've mentioned it more than a few time too ;) Easy to spot on a testdrive for even the biggest of gnomes though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64544398

It's very good of you to bring up all those posts, must be a busy Friday for you. It also shows me how much crap you spout about Alfa's.

The above post though really says it all though. Why is it again that a €1500 Alfa wouldn't be a good move for someone who wants something that looks good and drives well on a budget?

bladespin wrote: »
    TBH as an Alfa lover I wouldn't be too worried about the belts as long as it was running fine at the point of sale, I'd be planning on changing them myself (for obvious reasons) anyway, I'd also factor that into the sale.

But if they were done 6 months ago you wouldn't have to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

But if they were done 6 months ago you wouldn't have to :)

Hmm, taking someone's word for it, etc, etc, etc. I'd still be planning on a set sooner rather than later.

166man wrote: »
    It's very good of you to bring up all those posts, must be a busy Friday for you. It also shows me how much crap you spout about Alfa's........

The search function takes about 10 secs to use.
    Lol at the crap, your motoring views are based on your ole lad's and aunties car history :pac:

this is what I said btw....

............So buying one for €1200 that's due a belt is not really savage value for a 2001 ish car with 100K miles on it :)...........

not........
    The above post though really says it all though. Why is it again that a €1500 Alfa wouldn't be a good move for someone who wants something that looks good and drives well on a budget?

The search function takes about 10 secs to use.
    Lol at the crap, your motoring views are based on your ole lad's and aunties car history :pac:

this is what I said btw....

not........

I never said all your motoring views RJ. I said the crap you spout about Alfa's. It's funny you say that but I have been driving as soon as I could age wise and currently own an Alfa 156 therefore think I'm more than qualified to comment, unlike yourself whose previous ''bosses'' have owned and driven them.

And actually this is what you said

'' Realistically a €1500 Alfa won't be wise move.''

Care to elaborate as to why seeing as you have so much experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Girls girls girls, kiss and make up?

Owen wrote: »
    Girls girls girls, kiss and make up?

If only, this seems to come up very often here. Kind of tired of it at this stage. :rolleyes:

Apologies lads, I'll find plenty of bangers for ya's in return!

I never said all your motoring views RJ. I said the crap you spout about Alfa's. It's funny you say that but I have been driving as soon as I could age wise and currently own an Alfa 156 therefore think I'm more than qualified to comment, unlike yourself whose previous ''bosses'' have owned and driven them.

And actually this is what you said

'' Realistically a €1500 Alfa won't be wise move.''

Care to elaborate as to why seeing as you have so much experience?

Owning a 156 does not qualify you to regard my posts about Alfas as spouting crap. What point are you making about my comment about a lad I worked for owning one ? Do you reckon to have an informed opinion about a car you must have owned one or something? Actully l o fecking l at you reckoning I am not qualified to talk about an Alfa.

An Alfa owner (who is quite well informed about cars from what I have seen over the years on here) agreed with my €1500 comment so too another very well informed poster...
    Anan1 wrote: »
    I fully agree, but Alfas don't like abuse. If the OP isn't the kind of person who maintains their car on time and on the button then an Alfa isn't for them, IMO.
    I'd agree with the €1500 alfa to an extent. It'll prob need TLC.............

.........so I don't see the need to defend it to you, see my earlier links in this thread for why :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I hope this thing doesn't get any cheaper or otherwise I'm gonna be forced into making another purchase :D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3086561

View2-10355388.jpeg

Do you reckon to have an informed opinion about a car you must have owned one or something?

An Alfa owner (who is quite well informed about cars from what I have seen over the years on here) agreed with my €1500 comment so too another very well informed poster...

.........so I don't see the need to defend it to you, see my earlier links in this thread for why :)

How ever I could ask you the same question about having to own a car to have an informed opinion on it.

I would think that owning one and knowing every inch of it's service history for the last 11 years would qualify me yes. :)

It would be nice if you would elaborate why a €1500 Alfa isn't a wise move instead of quoting other posters comments, after all you don't seem too busy this Friday night. However it's probably pointless asking you to elaborate anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How ever I could ask you the same question about having to own a car to have an informed opinion on it.

I would think that owning one and knowing every inch of it's service history for the last 11 years would qualify me yes. :)

It would be nice if you would elaborate why a €1500 Alfa isn't a wise move instead of quoting other posters comments, after all you don't seem too busy this Friday night. However it's probably pointless asking you to elaborate anyway...

STOP!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

HAMMERTIME.png

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3212934
    95 civic auto, whats the auto on these like, drove a accord auto and wasn't to bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You're right it is a decent point to make, it's just you make it at least once a week at this stage... Doesn't need to be made every time an Alfa comes up for sale. At the amount I drive and others too 36k miles is quite a bit you know...

Age is a problem too, you need to change them every 3 years.

Not obvious enough for you? You seem to mention it every time an Alfa comes up in Bangernomics... Did you know that the front suspension is a known weak point in most Alfas?

Suspension problems are rarely terminal.

tuborg_man wrote: »
    95 civic auto, whats the auto on these like, drove a accord auto and wasn't to bad.

They're a 4 speed, I has a 4 speed prelude auto and it was surprisingly ok, the Civic one is a different autobox obviously but it wouldn't be desperate.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Age is a problem too, you need to change them every 3 years.

You're right there. I always wondered why three years was important though. Regardless best to follow Alfa's guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

An Alfa owner and a Rover owner arguing over reliability. The mind boggles

BX 19 wrote: »
    An Alfa owner and a Rover owner arguing over reliability. The mind boggles

Do you have a point to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I hope this thing doesn't get any cheaper or otherwise I'm gonna be forced into making another purchase :D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3086561

View2-10355388.jpeg

Thats beautiful. Kerry is so damn far away though. Ive been to Dundalk, kildare village and clongriffin over the last week looking at cars that were meant to be "mint". Going through some whack of petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Do you have a point to make?

Yeah. They're both piles of sh!te ....

Runs for the door >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :p

• Advertisement

Suspension problems are rarely terminal.

I never said they were terminal? It is RJ who likes to mention that it's made of ''chocolate'' as he put it.

An hour or so ago you were questioning was I aware of the suspension issues at all, now you are somehow alluding to me suggesting it's a terminal issue :rolleyes:

I never said they were terminal? It is RJ who likes to mention that it's made of ''chocolate'' as he put it.

In bangernomics land if a top wishbone is creaking you can turn up the radio for six months with little consequence. You put off a belt like that and you have a paper weight. You made a point of marking it down as a concern to rival the belts.

An hour or so ago you were questioning was I aware of the suspension issues at all, now you are somehow alluding to me suggesting it's a terminal issue :rolleyes:

It's just getting ridiculous at this stage. How was I alluding to you saying it was a terminal problem? I just said I never said it was terminal but that it was you who reckons they made the suspension out of chocolate. Seriously man, read the post first..:pac:

View2?id=10962120
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3213085

97 s40. Only 112k miles. NCT till July. €350.

It's just getting ridiculous at this stage. How was I alluding to you saying it was a terminal problem? I just said I never said it was terminal but that it was you who reckons they made the suspension out of chocolate. Seriously man, read the post first..:pac:

...........You made a point of marking it down as a concern to rival the belts.

Anyway, still in Alfa land, not the prettiest example but low miles, cheap enough to chance a diy belt change and long nct

Full?id=10958688

Another one out wesht, cheaper again, some tax, long test, claims belt done 10k ago

Full?id=10957286

Another one out wesht, cheaper again, some tax, long test, claims belt done 10k ago

Those cheapo homemade-looking dashes on the 156 make me puke. The facelift makes such a difference.
    Full?id=10957292

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Those cheapo homemade-looking dashes on the 156 make me puke. The facelift makes such a difference.
    Full?id=10957292

Whatever floats your boat. I spent nearly 3 years looking at one and found it quite a pleasant place to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement