Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mick ah wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4494071

Jag s-type 03 for a grand

Has to be too good to be true.
    Must be something up, otherwise it'd have a fresh NCT.

Well its not 03 for a start.

I have one for less than that. Can't be bothered to nct it for selling. Wouldn't make it worth that much more.

Tax on that is worth a good bit. (€829 for 6 months)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Mick ah wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4494071

Jag s-type 03 for a grand

Has to be too good to be true.
    Must be something up, otherwise it'd have a fresh NCT.

Full-17141749.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mick ah

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Well its not 03 for a start.

whoops, I was reading the add title not the license plate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

One for RJ
    View2-17095296.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4461461
    01 1.4 Rover 45.
    NCT to Jan 14
    It says belt done and taxed but no dates.
    €950

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

A Mazda 323 with extreamly low milage

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4500301

Full-17172941.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Full-17172941.jpeg

Jese, only 24K! thats worth the money in my opinion without doubt, even a collector's item, top original condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Backfire wrote: »
    Jese, only 24K!
    That may not necessary be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It may not, but its survived this long and gotten through lots of tests and seems to have been really well looked after.

Seweryn wrote: »
    That may not necessary be a good thing.
    If it's rust free underneath and it's running well it would be grand and would have still a good few years left in it. They are one of the most reliable cars out there imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

BillJ wrote: »
    I really like this, minus the boot spoiler.
    Looks fairly well taken care of and has a years NCT.
    Tan leather:cool:
    Timing belt done <10k ago
    Does have high enough mileage but could be worth the risk
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4498180
    Wl6QA4s.jpg

Would I be mad to think about upgrading the missus to this from her '99 Micra? It looks in great order and has a long NCT but is it liable to be unreliable? That's the thing that would get me the most nagging!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Keep your sanity/Micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Keep your sanity/Micra.

Thought so..... thanks........ sigh, the search goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 g7sxb

Scortho wrote: »
    Love tan seats on an alfa! Might see how much extra it is to insure this. What's the 1.6 engine in this (currently 1.2 polo that's driving me insane!) or is it to small for the car? Car looks to be in Unreal condition and with 13 months nct might be worth it!:)

Wouldn't touch a 1.6 156 with a barge pole especially one with astronaut miles. Minimum engine in a 156 would be the 1.8 and even then that isn't overly exciting unless you thrash it. If you want smile on your face go for the 2.0 but then you'll frown at the tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Thought so..... thanks........ sigh, the search goes on.

You're doing far to much thinking on the go, that'll always lead to a bad decession.

You've gotta commit. Either decide on a luxonomics car from the start and follow through or admit your mechanical limitations, buy safe and by happy with your purchase.

Buying a complicated situation will only lead to tears. Spur of the moment, heart over head decessions often go very wrong, even for some of us who think they know what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

g7sxb wrote: »
    Wouldn't touch a 1.6 156 with a barge pole especially one with astronaut miles. Minimum engine in a 156 would be the 1.8 and even then that isn't overly exciting unless you thrash it. If you want smile on your face go for the 2.0 but then you'll frown at the tax.

Ah pack it in like, the 2.0 has 30bhp more but is also heavier. The 1.6 is very nippy for its engine size. One of the more powerful 1.6 N/A petrol engines iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

166man wrote: »
    Ah pack it in like, the 2.0 has 30bhp more but is also heavier. The 1.6 is very nippy for its engine size. One of the more powerful 1.6 N/A petrol engines iirc.

+1

There's surprisingly little between the 3. If you want a smile on your face, g7sxb, you need the Busso V6 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I think yous are being well harsh with that Alfa :P, in fairness any Alfa that lasts over the 150kmiles mark has most certainly not being neglected, that one in particular has had all the main service parts done, T-belt etc recently, and a new NCT to boot, so you know that the suspension isn't about to fall off it. I'd snap up that Alfa far quicker than I'd touch many others which might be much "cleaner"/lower miles, but probably need a shed load of work done!

Keep your sanity/Micra.

For someone looking for a cheap car, off the beaten track, and doesn't mind the bit of headache that comes with them, its a grand car, but I'll agree with this, last thing you want to buy your wife is something that will probably result in arguments when it strands her on the side of the M50 etc etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

g7sxb wrote: »

Tax? Im a 21 lad. Its insurance thats my problem and id put on hold the idea of getting one for a few more years but the 1.6 would be an alternative. If i could get insurance on a 166 v6 Id be all over it in a minute.
    In reality any alfa is going to put a smile on your face, until it breaks down:D, but that alfa looks in great condition. Might wait until summer though and see if another one pops up in as good of a condition. Cheers anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Full-17172941.jpeg

Bullet proof car, mine has 10 times the mileage on it

The only problem is no immobiliser. it's a big target for Joy Riders now that the pool of easily taken cars is so small. It's just too easy to take.

And it's probably not worth the money to have one fitted.

If i could get insurance on a 166 v6 Id be all over it in a minute.

You haven't a hope of finding any decent quote at that age I'm afraid. Classed as a performance car, wait till you're 25. That's what I'm doing with mine

I must see if I can get a quote on my E34 again, despite the same engine size I was able to get reasonable quotes on it :)

• Advertisement

The only problem is no immobiliser. it's a big target for Joy Riders now that the pool of easily taken cars is so small. It's just too easy to take.

Stoplock pro on the steering wheel :)

I had a Celica and a prelude bothwithout alarm or immobiliser and was happy enough to use the stoplock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

dgt wrote: »

You haven't a hope of finding any decent quote at that age I'm afraid. Classed as a performance car, wait till you're 25. That's what I'm doing with mine

I must see if I can get a quote on my E34 again, despite the same engine size I was able to get reasonable quotes on it :)

It's such a pain. Surely an E34 is more of a performance car than a 166. And even at that its not your typical high risk boy racer car. Hopefully by the time im 25 ill be able to afford to import a Montreal!:)

It's such a pain. Surely an E34 is more of a performance car than a 166. And even at that its not your typical high risk boy racer car. Hopefully by the time im 25 ill be able to afford to import a Montreal!:)

My E34 has 22bhp less than the 166 from the same size engine. My first quote on it at 20 was nearly 6 grand. At 21, it had significantly dropped to 1519 :confused:

No matter where I went, no one would quote me on the 166. Only I went into Axa and asked why I found out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

RoverJames wrote: »

I had a Celica and a prelude bothwithout alarm or immobiliser and was happy enough to use the stoplock.

Fine idea in theory. Had similar one.

But all they ended up doing is cutting the steering wheel on me, so I now have a broken ignition, broken door lock and a broken steering wheel.

:pac:

maybe one of these would do the job, bit pricey though

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_216879_langId_-1_categoryId_212404

Fine idea in theory. Had similar one.

But all they ended up doing is cutting the steering wheel on me, so I now have a broken ignition, broken door lock and a broken steering wheel............

Stoplock Pro requires the wheel to be cut in two places, they'll need to bring a spare steering will with them, admittedly, like many devices it's simply a deterrent, a good one though imo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

99, Est 626
    €800
    'great service history'

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4385068

Full-16613201.jpeg

I agree about them being bullet proof.

On the immobiliser issue What year is yours, Many cars had immobilisers fitted by 1997, not sure about these though. Even if it hasn't id still take the chance and I wouldnt bother going to the trouble of getting one fitted.

RoverJames wrote: »

Or you could just do a Mr bean on it and take the whole steering wheel with you:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Kill switch...

Won't stop the snacks having a go I suppose. Better than them getting any enjoyment out of it though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

99, Est 626
    €800
    'great service history'

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4385068

Full-16613201.jpeg
    "3 mths left on NCT" - why TF won't the seller just put it through the test and both (i) hugely increase the chances of a quick sale and (ii) allow them to ask a higher price?

Btw, I'm expecting a reply shortly to say it's sold already! :)

Point still stands though... I think it's either because people don't know they can do the test 3 months early, or that the car is not insured or taxed or whatever so can't be driven to the centre.

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement