Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

I just can't help inspecting his littlefingers and toes hehe :) they're too cute!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I'm hormonal and tired... Bad combo - every time A cries I cry too.. We just sit and cry together...!! Hormones eh! What's her excuse?? Hehe!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh no dl, dont cry with them, its the most helpless thing in the world to do and we've all done it. Even if you do an evil laugh at a, at least 1 of you will feel better. Before you cry next time, count to ten slowly. Right i have to remember this tomorrow when im on my own with the two of them for 14 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Ah dl, it's definitely your hormones. I cried more than my son at one stage. Getting out everyday helped me most because hormones and cabin fever are a bad combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

awww Ivy....don't the first smiles just melt your heart :D

Tigress, If he's going through the night and just looking for his soother I wouldn't start just yet with the weaning. 3-4 hours during the day is fantastic! If he wakes through the night and screams the place down no matter what you do, then I'd give the solids a crack.

Aww Nicowa I'm so glad he made it up to you. I know some people hate these 'hallmark' days, but I think it's nice to do something small on mother's day and father's day from your spouse to say a little thanks. :D

DL *hugs* you'll have days like that. Are you managing to catch up on your sleep at all?

• Advertisement

Definitely the hormones - woke up delighted with myself today feeling like mother nature!! Taking it all in my stride today! Lol! Honestly - sleep is the solution - had a good night last night.
    Evil laugh... That's def coming out next time!!
    Going to go for a long walk today - that will hopefully help clear the cobwebs!!

My little fella just had his 3 month check up :) as if we didn't already know.. He's perfect hehe! 2 foot long and 6.65kg said his head holding was brilliant & it shows we do loads of tummy time :) had a lovely long walk with him to the centre & back home too so I feel great! He's knocked out in his pram now so I think I'll take a nap too hehe

Tigeress wrote: »
    My little fella just had his 3 month check up :) as if we didn't already know.. He's perfect hehe! 2 foot long and 6.65kg said his head holding was brilliant & it shows we do loads of tummy time :) had a lovely long walk with him to the centre & back home too so I feel great! He's knocked out in his pram now so I think I'll take a nap too hehe

Aww that's brill tigeress!! I keep forgetting to do tummy time...! Doh!

Tiger in a tree hold.... Well if I need to use it again I'm gonna have to get new carpet...!! She gets up her wind alright... But doesn't leave it at that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Speaking of tummy time, how much tummy time should we be doing every day? When I put my little fella on his tummy, he doesn't like it much (except to sleep!)

Speaking of tummy time, how much tummy time should we be doing every day? When I put my little fella on his tummy, he doesn't like it much (except to sleep!)

I think your meant to build up to 20mins a day?

• Advertisement

The PHN told me I have to put him on his tummy 20 times a day for 5 mins.. I put him on his tummy for 10 mins a few times a day :)

DL I couldn't help but giggle at your post :p sounds like the tiger hold is good fun for your carpet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'd think 12 weeks very early for solids as well... Until they're trying to grab your food and able to sit up I don't think it's advisable. Hse recommend 17 weeks earliest for formula fed babies.
    I was awful for remembering to do tummy time! R was lucky to get it two or three times a week! He hated it anyway. We used to hold him over our heads like he was flying instead! Haha. The physio gave us a good leaflet... Anything that makes them hold their head up counts... Putting baby tummy to tummy when you're lying down counts to! :)

My little man just did his 1st ever chuckle :D it was amazing & both me & my OH were there for it! We're just beaming now hehe! Turns out that Mammy spinning in circles is hilarious hehe

Thanks for all your advise on the solid feeding ladies :) I'm gonna hold off for at least another 2 weeks but preferably longer.. He's so interested in our food it's scary! He dives at you & when he's in his bouncer playing & see's you eating he cries! On the plus side I'm loosing a little weight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I was desperate for doing tummy time :eek: all my kids were very strong and holding up their heads from day one..so when they were up on my shoulder and lifted head and shoulders the phn and the gp commented how strong they were. i have photo's of my 13 year old on her tummy looking straight into the camera at 2 months..she was walking at 10.5 months, 2nd girl was walking at 11.5 months and the same with the 3rd..

Number 4 is rolling over since he just shy of 4 months and about 2 weeks later started rolling back again so tummy time would be on his back in no time :D I know i have 4.. and this will sound lame...but what is tummy time for?? is it just to strengthen neck and back? or is there something else??:o (please don't ridicule me :D )

Cybrd sounds like your little baba is doing great! I didn't think they rolled till 5-6 months?! I don't like reading and find it terrible hard to read book after book so I jut use the what to expect and so it month by month hehe.. The PHN told me yest that tummy time is to strengthen their spines & tummy muscles, it's also to give them an insentive to crawl too.. She told me to start putting his toys out of reach to try get him moving! I said no to her face that he's only 3 months & that's awful (she wasn't very impressed with me) she told me to that I'm not to use a walker?! She said it stops them crawling?! My mum used them on all of us & it did no harm so did my OH mum & all of the kids crawled..

grrrr my lazy sod still isn't rolling....he'll roll onto his side alright, but maybe once or twice has rolled onto his tummy/back:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Thanks for all the advice re tummy time! He is already holding his head pretty well for a 1 month old.

Went to see the pediatrician for his first month appointment this morning, and I asked her about tummy time. She said he needs to be getting tummy time as early as possible. Otherwise he won't like it and it will be impossible to get him to do it (this happened to our nephew!). She said, to start, we can put him on his tummy for a minute or two on the changing mat every time we change him.

Otherwise she says he is very healthy, his growth curve is great, he's very alert and well muscled. Only thing we have to watch out for is that one side of his head is getting flat, from favouring that side to sleep on, so we will have to start alternating which way we put him in his bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

e has been holding her own head since day 1. doc and phn very impressed with her strong neck! i put her down for tummy time when i can remember but shes not too fond of it. likes it sometimes but when she does like it and has her head held so high she looks so grown up!!!

the little woman is 11 weeks today. i put 3-6 month babygro on her and she is the length of them! had to say i felt a little sad cos she looked so big and not like a little baby!!!:rolleyes:

Ok - I hereby resolve to do more tummy time!!

Question - how do u get a taxi with a baby...? I rang my local taxi company and asked them if they can provide a car seat and they said no....
    I have no alternative means of transport for this one trip! Can't bus it or get a lift with oh.
    I'm mithered! I was sure they'd have some cars that have car seats!
    Pain in the bum..!!

Had A weighed today a d she's now 8lbs which is great - up 6oz from last week :)
    Feeding around the clock at the mo _ hopefully a growth spurt !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

How do you manage tummy time on a child with reflux? He is 15 week almost and doing his very best to sit up and well able to hold his head... Because he has been so sick we havent pushed tummy time... do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

dublinlady wrote: »

Question - how do u get a taxi with a baby...? I rang my local taxi company and asked them if they can provide a car seat and they said no....
    I have no alternative means of transport for this one trip! Can't bus it or get a lift with oh.
    Pain in the bum..!!

Had A weighed today a d she's now 8lbs which is great - up 6oz from last week :)

http://childfriendlytaxi.ie/

This guy is fantastic.

January wrote: »

Pain in the bum..!!

http://childfriendlytaxi.ie/

This guy is fantastic.

That's so great - thanks a mil, I'll def phone him tomorrow! A great number to have!

Do any of your babies get the hiccups and vomit when they laugh? Is that normal? Or should I just stop being so funny? :p:D

Gestational diabetes was the best thing that ever happened to me! I started back on the diet a few weeks ago and I feel great!:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Do any of your babies get the hiccups and vomit when they laugh? Is that normal? Or should I just stop being so funny? :p:D

Yes- apparently its not unusual. Baby Helen sometimes has hiccups for hours on end and the odd time for a day or two- and find them hilarious, but she also often vomits a little too (sometimes significant quantities)- from all the hiccups and laughing.
    Gestational diabetes was the best thing that ever happened to me! I started back on the diet a few weeks ago and I feel great!:D

Well done- us daddies need to be on diets too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Pain in the bum..!!

i know its funny but i don't think the car seat regulations apply to taxi's, silly i know as they are still in a car, but im sure you are allowed put them on your lap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

hoodwinked wrote: »

Pain in the bum..!!

i know its funny but i don't think the car seat regulations apply to taxi's, silly i know as they are still in a car, but im sure you are allowed put them on your lap.

would you still think that when the taxi had a crash?
    I still get amazed at how parents are willing to sacrifice their children.

Uh oh...little guy dirtied his vest today in my parents house and only available replacement was his older cousins pink one....I forgot to warn my hubby and all I can hear from the changing room is...'is your vest pink?!' *snigger*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I would have thought the car seat regulations do apply to taxi's, but the onus is on the parent/guardian to provide the seat rather than the taxi company :confused:

It would be a bizarre law otherwise that would knowingly allow parents to transport a child in a vehicle unrestrained.

Though I suppose it doesn't apply on public transport like bus/train so maybe.
    Wow that is really backward if the law doesn't apply there, I'm curious now, off to google it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I think because taxi's cant be expected to have one of every size car seat in stock they do not have to provide one and are therefore exempt. And what do they do with your car seats when you have gotten to your destination? Do you haul them around for the day?
    Also think about it, you are out with your little one and you need to get home fast, you hail a taxi rather then wait for the bus, you cant be expected to have a car seat every time.
    all public transport is exempt, as buses and trains are the same. when you think about it it does make sense.

Advertisement