Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Its mad that so many of us have little ones with cough's! It must be the change in the weather lately alright!

My little fella is on daytime sleep strike..

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

3 months old today:D where has the time gone. i bought a 3-6 month jeans and she looks so grown up! fits her perfect.

congrats on the steps how strange! so cute!

my little one has a bit of a cough too but its the dry/snuffly nose thats awful at night. she sound terrible but it doesnt seem to be bothering her too much. now that shes 3 months ill try the breath easy vapour rub or olbas oil on a cloth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Shane was 2 last Monday - we took him to the zoo and left his sister in the creche as he does not get much time away from her. I am back in work again very soon, not looking foward to it, I met a friend this week and did some artwork for my children. Helen keeps on trying to walk, she will get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Harley.

Belated birthday wishes to your little guy Cathy. The Zoo is such a great place to bring them.

The weather is so messed up right now though. Had planned on taking my little one to Newbridge farm for easter egg hunt this weekend but looks like we'll be stuck home doing some painting instead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

To all the coughy baby mamas!
    Just something I know from experience -
    A cough with congestion is most likely just a cough associated with a cold.
    A persistent dry cough which is worse at night CAN ( sonetimes!) be associated with asthma - ESP during these months when hay fever is beginning!
    Just to hear it in mind if cough lasts longer than 2 weeks - be worth talking to gp about!

• Advertisement

dublinlady wrote: »
    A persistent dry cough which is worse at night CAN ( sonetimes!) be associated with asthma - ESP during these months when hay fever is beginning!
    Just to hear it in mind if cough lasts longer than 2 weeks - be worth talking to gp about!

Thats exactly what mine had last year gp knew staright away said it was mild asthma, she was given an inhaler for while and was perfect after. Probably that again and yet it didnt come into my head till you said it dublinlady :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

my little man had a very bad cough last month, for more then 6 weeks (post-viral according to gp, can go on, etc etc)
    anyway decided to try out the salt therapy place in newbridge and cough gone in 4 days and gone for over 2 weeks, starting to come back now, but i will give that a try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Hi lynski,
    What is the salt therapy place in newbridge? My nephew has asthma (11 months) and a semi-permanent cold ... Would love to know more to pass on to his dad. Thanks

This is just a mOan...
    3 hrs sleep last night. She was sore from wind. Today she can't eat cos she's tired and keeps falling asleep, can't sleep cis her tummy hurts and shes hungry. I haven't eaten anything weird that could be causing it. She won't even sleep in the sling for me. I'm so tired I'm getting annoyed at her. Then I feel guilty and start crying. The dog wants a walk and I can't move from the couch cos of the constant feeding - falling asleep - screaming cycle I'm now stuck in.

I know it's just a bad day - I know they are normal, I had an amazing lovely day yesterday . But its so hard to be there for her when I'm so tired myself. I can't even get lunch cos if I stop attempting to feed her and just put her in sling she becomes hysterical. We are too very cranky ladies. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

posted this in pregnancy thread as well as it seems to cover alot of areas.
    http://www.pregnancyandbabyfair.ie/
    on 15th and 16th april RDS. 21st and 22nd april ,city hall cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Dublinlady I hope your day improved :( The only thing I will say is I found from about 8 weeks on that those particularly tough days do lessen as baby goes longer between feed's. I hope you got a bit of dinner into you and sleep too. Everything tends to seem a lot worse when you're very tired x

Lynski I'd love to know more about the salt clinic too if you have any info please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Oh god. . i'm tired too .. i haD 3 hours sleep last night but not all at the same time and then i got this great idea at half 8 this morning that i'd paint a bedroom . . and then i painted another one. . i'm wrecked. . . but i had a lovely scaldy bath.. both little ones are asleep and i've a lovely bottle glass of wine in my hand. . only downside is i have to work tomorrow. . . but now i'm ready for the big change over though... have to move the 9 year old into the 2 year olds room so i can put the boys in one room. . few more weeks and the baby's out on his own :D CAN'T WAIT :D

Awe DL thinking of you today x hope little A has settled down for you! Those constant crying days are very hard but they don't last! Hope she sleeps tonight for ya & is in better form tomorrow xxx big deep breaths :-)

To all the coughy baby mamas!
    Just something I know from experience -
    A cough with congestion is most likely just a cough associated with a cold.

This is very interesting DL :-) thanks for the share! I've actually been thinking he might have a little hayfever! My OH suffers terrible from it & I always spend the spring with a runny nose lol so I think he was destent to get it :( he's not too bad though & the cough seems better today! Good to keep all this in mind, if the cough is still as ba next week I'm gonna being him to the Doc for a check up just to be sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

oh dl, i'm having your week. good day followed by horrible day.
    the only thing i can do for peace is to bring him to bed with me and feed him and let him sleep.

cant function when i cant even feed myself because i have to feed him...

he roared the place down tuesday and wednesday from 12pm to 12am. feed, sleep, roar, walk the floor, calm down, feed repeat.

last night i went out for a few drinks, other half gave him a bottle of expressed at 9pm, he slept till 12:30am!!!

i stayed in bed with him till 2pm than he fed every hour and was back to the sleep cry routine above.

so tonight i bathed him, he roared the whole time but i fed him after wards and now he's asleep for the last half hour.

10 weeks tomorrow, cant wait until he will feed every 2 hours, i wont know myself.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    oh dl, i'm having your week. good day followed by horrible day.
    the only thing i can do for peace is to bring him to bed with me and feed him and let him sleep.

cant function when i cant even feed myself because i have to feed him...

he roared the place down tuesday and wednesday from 12pm to 12am. feed, sleep, roar, walk the floor, calm down, feed repeat.

last night i went out for a few drinks, other half gave him a bottle of expressed at 9pm, he slept till 12:30am!!!

i stayed in bed with him till 2pm than he fed every hour and was back to the sleep cry routine above.

so tonight i bathed him, he roared the whole time but i fed him after wards and now he's asleep for the last half hour.

10 weeks tomorrow, cant wait until he will feed every 2 hours, i wont know myself.

Will he feed every 2 hrs or more on good days? That's hard going Hun. A will go 2&1/2 hrs most days. Not today obvs..., today it's constant!! I left her with my oh for 3 hrs when he got on from work and have him expressed bottle and went for a sleep. Don't think I would have been able cope with the thought of another night like last night without some sleep.. It's not looking like tonight's gonna be much better as she really is struggling with her tummy. I've started drinking camomile tea tonight to see if it helps at all.
    My friend had a baby - well a girl I know, 5 months ago and she never moans and says she loves it all do much and is so so happy all of the time... I sometimes wonder if she ever has days spent crying on the couch with a screaming baby attached.... Don't get me wrong I love being a mother and adore my little girl more than I can describe - but it's seriously not all pink frilly dresses and walks in the park!
    Today had major wobble and really wanted to give her formula as felt it must be something I'm eating.... Didn't but gonna try the blandest of bland diets over next few days to see if helps! Its porridge and spuds and camomile tea for me!!
    I had a pear today and 3 grapes and apparently that was bad. I can't seem to find any fruit I can eat - or veg. So she'll be fine but I'll be constipated.... Nice !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

It will pass, it will pass.... I promise!
    The first 6 or 8 weeks are a blur of feeding for me. I lost count of how many times I cried.
    Food wise, I worried about it a lot at the start, but as the little ones get a bit bigger it's not as much of an issue either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Ladies I remember those days from hell with the constant feeding and crying and feeding and crying. I was at home with my son all day yesterday and we had such fun. We did the food shopping so he smiled at all the ladies as we passed by (he knows the power of his smiles!); he had his jabs :( and then a monster nap and we spent the afternoon playing games and taking some tentative steps. I'd clap and he'd laugh and try again. Then I bought bubbles and he was so amazed and delighted.

So what I'm trying to say is yes the early stage is difficult but it is a phase and within months you'll find yourself playing games and having fun with your little babas.

Ladies I remember those days from hell with the constant feeding and crying and feeding and crying. I was at home with my son all day yesterday and we had such fun. We did the food shopping so he smiled at all the ladies as we passed by (he knows the power of his smiles!); he had his jabs :( and then a monster nap and we spent the afternoon playing games and taking some tentative steps. I'd clap and he'd laugh and try again. Then I bought bubbles and he was so amazed and delighted.

So what I'm trying to say is yes the early stage is difficult but it is a phase and within months you'll find yourself playing games and having fun with your little babas.

Amazing... Can't wait!! :)

totally agree. i remember about 6 mths suddenly realising i did not have to feed him to sleep anymore, i was sad ;-?, silly i know.
    Cant comment on the broken nights as my 5 yr old only slept through the night at nearly 5 (last oct, when baba was 7mths) so it has been years since i have had regular full nights of sleep. but now baba wont even sleep with us, not enough room for the starfish sleep position, so he cries to go back in the cot ;-(
    It seems only a blink of the eye since i was up with the firstone, 5 yrs ago, never mind this one so try to get as much rest as you can when they do, screw the housework and the rest, it will only be a few weeks and then you wont know yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

O Dublinlady I feel so sorry for u ... Ur not having it easy ... I can't offer any advice only to wish u well and hope things settle soon ... Try not to be too hard on urself ... If u need a break a bottle of formula won't kill ur little one (shhhh don't tell the mastafia I said that!) ... Good luck ... Thinking of u.

Will he feed every 2 hrs or more on good days? That's hard going Hun. A will go 2&1/2 hrs most days. Not today obvs..., today it's constant!! I left her with my oh for 3 hrs when he got on from work and have him expressed bottle and went for a sleep. Don't think I would have been able cope with the thought of another night like last night without some sleep.. It's not looking like tonight's gonna be much better as she really is struggling with her tummy. I've started drinking camomile tea tonight to see if it helps at all.
    !

mmm, my 3 were all like this at this age, it passes, i seriously do not think it is your diet, I found, again that laid-back breastfeeding helped a lot with no3, as well as lying him on his tummy, or using the sling. we were lucky i persevered as it is looking like he has a problem with formula.
    you could try giving the camomile to the baby,
    Kellymom says the following
    Are there any foods that I should avoid while I’m breastfeeding?

There are NO foods that you should avoid simply because you are breastfeeding. It is generally recommended that a nursing mother eat whatever she likes, whenever she likes, in the amounts that she likes and continue to do this unless baby has an obvious reaction to a particular food.
    It’s suggested that everyone, particularly pregnant and nursing mothers, avoid eating certain types of fish that are typically high in mercury.
    It is a good idea to restrict caffeine and alcohol to a certain extent, but it is rarely necessary to eliminate them.
    Some food proteins (such as cow’s milk protein or peanut protein) do pass into mother’s milk. If there is a history of food allergies in your family, you may wish to limit or eliminate the allergens common in your family.
    Any baby might react to a particular food (although this is not very common). If baby has an obvious reaction every time you eat a certain food, it may be helpful to eliminate that food from your diet. For more information, see Dairy and other Food Sensitivities in Breastfed Babies.

Dublin lady, being honest i didnt have this with my first last year, i could stay in bed with her all day and she would feed, sleep, wake, play, sleep. I could bring her anywhere as once i got into the car she'd fall asleep and when i got to my friends she would lie on a blanket for 20mins without a word. This little fella roars in the car, and between 1 and 8pm he feeds every 40mins. I have gripe water coming next week so i hope that helps. He 'gummed' my nipple last night so im in a bit of pain, ill give him teetha later. 10 weeks old today! I took baby 1 up early today and played with her until baby 2 woke up and it made her day!! Looking back over my posts from last year, she was napping every 3hrs at this age so hopefully thats on the cards soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

E can reach the handles and open doors now... nowhere is safe!!!!

Hope everyone has nice easter today with kids. Mine had a very chocolatey brunch :D

Kids of today dont have the same resistance to chocolate, half a bag of white buttons and the 1 year old was sick!!

3 ppl bought A Easter eggs... She's not 8 weeks til tue!! God it's not good for my diet..... But .... A mothers work us never done!!!! Munch munch munch!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My 15 month old got 8 Easter eggs!
    The chocolate turned her nuts today (obviously she didn't eat 8 eggs!).even started biting in temper when we said no to anything, that's the start of it now.

brownies with the leftovers!
    mine were delighted with their mini egg hunt - a little choco bunny each and a little egg with egg cup for me and daddy. then they were allowed to share one egg. but they already had eggs at nanas during the week, they are all delighted with themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

ohhh how time flies. been off work nearly 5 months now and i'm due back on tues. i've been with the twins all this time and it's kinda getting me down that for the next while i wont be around them near as much as i used to :(.
    is it always this bad?

Advertisement