Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Tigeress you don't have to see the phn if you don't want to even for the developmental check-ups. You can go to the gp although you'd have to pay for the visit. However if your phn is so unhelpful and makes you feel so bad then you're better off avoiding her.

Definitely come on here and off load as much as you want. We've all had days and weeks like that and a problem shared is definitely a problem halved.

Also shame on her for brushing off your remarks about feeling down. They're supposed to be trained to pick up in post natal depression so she should've at least have been supportive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I think that you should, as soon as you feel able to, think about making a complaint about the PHN. What a horrible manner! Are there any other PHN's in the practice that you can ask to be transferred to, I know there's a few in mine for each different area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Cap, when are you due?

6 weeks today :) well that's if baby cooperates and comes on time :)

I don't think it's cruel at all having your eldest still in creche, I actually feel cruel that I'll have to stop my little girl going to creche (for a few weeks anyway) as she love's it & has such a fun time there :)
    The problem I have is her creche is close to my workplace, but a good 30min drive from home. So unfortunately a one hour return trip twice a day with a newborn just wouldn't be practical.

I'm hoping to get her a place in a local playgroup, if even for a few hours a day so I can have time with baby, she can have social time with other kids & I can with any luck catch up on some much needed sleep!

Tigeress you poor thing, my heart goes out to you & I am bloody livid on your behalf with that midwife :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: stupid inconsiderate b1tch.

I remember my phn called up to the house the morning after I had decided that I just couldn't continue with breast feeding (in constant agony).
    My mum had warned me that her phn many years ago had been something of a weapon & I was dreading telling this stranger that I had decided to formula feed instead.
    I needn't have got myself so stressed out as I was blessed with a lovely understanding phn & she reassured me not only was it none of her business what way my child was fed (once she was fed that is!) and that the mum's health and wellbeing is equally as important as that of the baby.

At the time my mum (who breastfeed both my sister and I and was/in an advocate of breast feeding) told me similar, that I was no good to my baby or anyone else if I was in pain/miserable.

I felt terrible guilt for not breastfeeding, but if you could see my (not so) little girl now, she is thriving & certainly none the worse off for it!

When I suffered with post natal depression it was my phn I spoke to, but she referred me directly to my gp.
    Best thing ever, the gp was also very understanding and helped me get through it.

Definitely vent through here as much as you want if you find it helps, but if you still feel down then a trip to your GP would definitely be worthwhile.
    Tiredness is definitely a killer though, I'm the same, need at least 6-8 hours a day to stay sane :o

That woman sounds like she is entirely unsuited to her job, she is supposed to offer an advisory/support service to a new mum, not make them feel worse at such a vulnerable time :(
    Could you request an alternative phn from another area local to you instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I think it is in most phn's job remit to have a degree in shíte-talk ... some do their best to undermine you. I was happily breastfeeding number 4 baby and all the phn could do was tell me he wasn't gaining enough weight....even though he was sleeping and mostly content she actively encouraged me to bottle feed :rolleyes: so go figure.. !!
    Infacol is for wind/colic.. reflux is different... its baby indigestion.. gavisgon wil settle it.. i know when we first gave it to baby 3 he turned into a different child.. it was the pharmacist and fellow boardsies who put us right..

http://www.infacol.co.uk/answers-to-common-colic-questions

speak to a qualified pharmacist.. they can be so much more in the know.
    It maybe a case that its pain and not hunger and the stage 2 milks is causing him to be slightly constipated causing more pain.:eek:..this is where weaning gradually onto the stage 2 milk comes in.. or...he's got reflux and it won't matter what milk he's on it'll hurt him after a bottle..:rolleyes: or..the phn is right and we're all bad mothers :D
    Sleep when he sleeps during the day.. leave the housework...look after you with relaxing baths whenever you can.. you're not doing it wrong..its a guessing game full of trial and error.. having a good rant in here does definitely help ;) we'll help as much as we can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Thanks so so much for all your comments ladies :) I feel so much better after having that little rant! My OH is furious with the treatment I got and we're intending on making a complaint.. Because of where I live we'd have to travel a bit to go to another PHN but the Health Centre has 2 other PHN's in it so I plan on going to one of them for his check-up & not the lady I went to last.. My OH said he's coming with me too :)
    I'm really grateful for all your comments, it has cheered me up to know that there is people I can talk to who know what it's like & not pass judgement..
    I knew it'd be hard becoming a new Mum & I do love it & love him more than words can ever say but lack of sleep & constant crying is really alot harder than I thought! But in saying that even just seeing one smile a day completely changes my day :)

• Advertisement

Ah yes... the baby smile... if they could harness the power of it, it could stop wars :D

I've just taken out the bouncer and put youngest baby in it... he LOVES it.. and his big brother thinks it's hilarious to swing him round and round.. won't be able to take my eye off them.. i can see the devilment already storing for the next few years. . god help me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Tigeress wrote: »
    Thanks so so much for all your comments ladies :) I feel so much better after having that little rant! My OH is furious with the treatment I got and we're intending on making a complaint.. Because of where I live we'd have to travel a bit to go to another PHN but the Health Centre has 2 other PHN's in it so I plan on going to one of them for his check-up & not the lady I went to last.. My OH said he's coming with me too :)
    I'm really grateful for all your comments, it has cheered me up to know that there is people I can talk to who know what it's like & not pass judgement..
    I knew it'd be hard becoming a new Mum & I do love it & love him more than words can ever say but lack of sleep & constant crying is really alot harder than I thought! But in saying that even just seeing one smile a day completely changes my day :)

i think u were treated awful. i was feeling pretty similar to you a few weeks ago. my phn was great, said say it to doc if it continues and she said only breastfeed if u are happy cos if ur not happy baby is not happy so its therefore not good for the baby!! def complain!! i felt better just cos she listened and validated my feelings!

i agree its great to be able to share ur feelings here. sometimes just knowin others know its normal and go tru the same helps!! and ppl here have great ideas and are very helpful!!

i got my little one baby gaviscon today cos its heartbreaking to hear her cry when she feeds and burps and watch her poor facial expressions. hoping it works for her cos she def has silent reflux. rang doc and he said just giv it to her mornin and evenin first to see how it goes.

sometimes the crying really does get to me and the lack of sleep is nearly worse!! but then she will smile and ill be thinkin course im able for the cryin/tiredness if she can give me that smile!! course when shes cryin im not thinking that. :rolleyes: i am loving being mammy to my beautiful daughter:D but it is hard and its all a guessing game with the crying etc. :rolleyes::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

The sleepless nights are the worst, they are so tough. I thought I could get my first into my schedule and my timings, not was I wrong! I thought maternity leave was going to be sunny days walking in the park. Pah! It's all a lot easier this time around, but only because the first one broke me in.

I was a bit of a martyr on the first too, thinking I had to be super mum and do everything myself. I'm not being such an eejit this time.

I think aswell people forget how tough the early days are. That's why this thread is so good, everyone is going through the same thing.

i was in great form all day and my little one had lots of naps. then this evenin she roared after her feed then i was tryin to make up the gaviscon and she kept roaring and my husband wasnt around then she roared when i gave it to her. all very stressful.and gaviscon was more watery than a paste! husband home for 10 mins and now gone again!! sometimes i feel im on my own! husband works all day and in some evenings and weekends hes at our house tryin to do things so we can move in. which i really want him to do but sometimes i wish there was 2 of him!! just feelin down now cos im on my own and next week hes on late shift and wont be home til 8.30pm.:(

little woman is asleep now, duno for how long but its a help and shes so cute:)

i was in great form all day and my little one had lots of naps. then this evenin she roared after her feed then i was tryin to make up the gaviscon and she kept roaring and my husband wasnt around then she roared when i gave it to her. all very stressful.and gaviscon was more watery than a paste! husband home for 10 mins and now gone again!! sometimes i feel im on my own! husband works all day and in some evenings and weekends hes at our house tryin to do things so we can move in. which i really want him to do but sometimes i wish there was 2 of him!! just feelin down now cos im on my own and next week hes on late shift and wont be home til 8.30pm.:(

little woman is asleep now, duno for how long but its a help and shes so cute:)

Put the gavisgon into her bottle . . it's so much less messy ;) i did the on a spoon once .. NEVER again :D one sachet per 4 oz . . but if its a 6 oz or more put in 2 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

One hr sleep last night :( and himself working today so no help. Sometimes A goes down and goes to sleep but doesn't fully settle - she doesn't cry , but spends her time gurgling or whimpering or grunting! It went on for 4 hrs last night! I can't fall asleep if there's noise at all and so didn't get a rest at all :( I know I won't get used to it and eventually be able fall asleep with noise as I have a snoring husband and the only way we can sleep together in the same bed after 9 yrs together is if I go to bed an hr before him!
    Couldn't even be mad at A cos she was so good and while didn't fully settle she didn't demand attention at all.

On a more positive note I tried the side lying breast feeding position for first tune this morn and love it! Although it's a bit pointless as you still have to sit up to wind the baby afterwards! And Put the baby back in Moses basket - was terrified I'd fall asleep then as was so tired and thought id suffocate her, so really it doesn't help you rest more!!

dublinlady they take in far less wind when feeding lying down. After about 6 weeks I stopped winding at nighttime so we both got the benefit of him falling asleep while feeding. They're great at farting out their wind.

dublinlady they take in far less wind when feeding lying down. After about 6 weeks I stopped winding at nighttime so we both got the benefit of him falling asleep while feeding. They're great at farting out their wind.

Wow that's so good to hear!!! My little princess farts like a trooper already!! :) she's such a lady ;)
    Never thought I'd survive a day on 1 hr sleep but so far so good! She's not in the humour to let me nap anyway!

Our eldest was a noisy fecker too DL, and I'm such a light sleeper, I couldnt sleep a wink with him. I think he was on his own room shortly after the 6 week check up. I'm not recommending it of course, just saying what worked for us.

Hope you got some rest today red

Oh DL I don't know how you manged a day with 1 hours sleep! You're now my hero lol! N has slept the full night the last 2 nights for us :) from 9pm till 6am but I'm still mr getting proper sleep as I keep checking on him :o I'm constantly listening to his breathing! We're thinking if he keeps the full nights sleeping going we'll move him into his own room soon.. Just thinking though lol I'm not fully convinced yet although my OH is.
    You must be exhausted by now DL! We went the Zoo today :) had a greatday but am wrecked now so I'm off to bed now :o 8pm bedtime at 27 lol feel about 90!!

Oh DL I don't know how you manged a day with 1 hours sleep! You're now my hero lol! N has slept the full night the last 2 nights for us :) from 9pm till 6am but I'm still mr getting proper sleep as I keep checking on him :o I'm constantly listening to his breathing! We're thinking if he keeps the full nights sleeping going we'll move him into his own room soon.. Just thinking though lol I'm not fully convinced yet although my OH is.
    You must be exhausted by now DL! We went the Zoo today :) had a greatday but am wrecked now so I'm off to bed now :o 8pm bedtime at 27 lol feel about 90!!

Oh my!!! That's fantastic! When do they start to stretch to a longer sleep at night? She's only almost 4 weeks and will do one stint of 4-5 hrs which is pretty good I think - cant imagine her sleeping for 8 hrs or more!!

I'm no hero tigeress... My OH came in from work at 5 and I burst into tears , handed her over and went for hr and half kip!!! Plus he's taking her tonight from 11 til 5/6 with an expressed bottle for the middle so that I can sleep!!! Don't know what I'd do without him!!!!

Can't wait for A to be old enough to enjoy the zoo!!!

I'm not sure when they're actually meant to stretch out for sleep but N started 5 hours when he was about 4 weeks a few weeks later it went to 6 then 7 and now 8-9 at 11 weeks :)
    Do you give A a soother?? If so we found that when he woke up in the middle of the night he wasn't overly hungry so we just gave him his soother thinking it'd give us an extra hour but that's how he started stretching to 8 hours! He wasn't hungry just wanted something to suck lol
    If you do give her a soother it's worth trying! It'd take a half an hour or so of him spitting it out & wanting it again but we just stuck to it & it's worked :)
    That's a great idea with the expressed milk! I did the same! Its so hard when you're doing all the feeds on your own! You're doing great to be at the 4 weeks though :) I lasted 3! How are you after the section? Recovering well?

I'm not sure when they're actually meant to stretch out for sleep but N started 5 hours when he was about 4 weeks a few weeks later it went to 6 then 7 and now 8-9 at 11 weeks :)
    Do you give A a soother?? If so we found that when he woke up in the middle of the night he wasn't overly hungry so we just gave him his soother thinking it'd give us an extra hour but that's how he started stretching to 8 hours! He wasn't hungry just wanted something to suck lol
    If you do give her a soother it's worth trying! It'd take a half an hour or so of him spitting it out & wanting it again but we just stuck to it & it's worked :)
    That's a great idea with the expressed milk! I did the same! Its so hard when you're doing all the feeds on your own! You're doing great to be at the 4 weeks though :) I lasted 3! How are you after the section? Recovering well?

Wow that's brilliant! Yeah we do give her a soother ( the worlds best invention!! ) as all she wanted to do was suck and I knew she couldn't be hungry all the time but had to keep her on the breast to calm her , but now she only wants food every 2-3 hrs instead if constantly and if cant settle in between will happily once she has her soother!! We give it to her at night also if she wakes but to be honest I think after her 4 hr stretch she's just hungry at the mo! Maybe another few weeks will see a stretch - we'll keep offering the soother anyway!! I think it's mad they go from waking every 3 hrs to sleeping 12 hrs straight in some cases!!!! Roll on long sleeps!! :)

I'm really good after the section - the only but that's still a bit tender is where a dissolvable stitch came out and the g.p had to cut off part of it but had to leave the edges as she didn't want to pull at it - so now I have two tiny plastic type bits sticking out of my skin which is stopping it from healing fully - I have to wait for them to fall off and no idea how long that will take!! But it's only sore or delicate when I sneeze or cough now , if I go for a walk longer than 20-30 mins the sore side starts to get tight but it's really not bad! Def better than I expected!!

Yeah expressing milk is the business! No way I could do every feed myself... It's hard enough doing all but one! But have to say , after I got over the first couple weeks of bleeding nipples etc, all my pains went away - I literally don't find it any way uncomfortable now and kinds think its less hassle than making up bottles and cleaning them etc for this period where I'm with her all the time anyway! Essentially I'm just lazy and it's convenient!!!! ;)

dublinlady wrote: »
    /Quote]

Wow that's brilliant! Yeah we do give her a soother ( the worlds best invention!! ) as all she wanted to do was suck and I knew she couldn't be hungry all the time but had to keep her on the breast to calm her , but now she only wants food every 2-3 hrs instead if constantly and if cant settle in between will happily once she has her soother!! We give it to her at night also if she wakes but to be honest I think after her 4 hr stretch she's just hungry at the mo! Maybe another few weeks will see a stretch - we'll keep offering the soother anyway!! I think it's mad they go from waking every 3 hrs to sleeping 12 hrs straight in some cases!!!! Roll on long sleeps!! :)

I'm really good after the section - the only but that's still a bit tender is where a dissolvable stitch came out and the g.p had to cut off part of it but had to leave the edges as she didn't want to pull at it - so now I have two tiny plastic type bits sticking out of my skin which is stopping it from healing fully - I have to wait for them to fall off and no idea how long that will take!! But it's only sore or delicate when I sneeze or cough now , if I go for a walk longer than 20-30 mins the sore side starts to get tight but it's really not bad! Def better than I expected!!

Yeah expressing milk is the business! No way I could do every feed myself... It's hard enough doing all but one! But have to say , after I got over the first couple weeks of bleeding nipples etc, all my pains went away - I literally don't find it any way uncomfortable now and kinds think its less hassle than making up bottles and cleaning them etc for this period where I'm with her all the time anyway! Essentially I'm just lazy and it's convenient!!!! ;)

That's amazing thy you're doing so well after the section :) the pains from sneezing and coughing do pass :) I had something similar with the dissolvable stitches! I had incredible pain on my right side that just would let up & I said it to the Doc in the Hospital on my 6 week check up after the section & she told me part of one of the stitches didn't dissolve so she pulled it out there (didn't feel a thing) and no pain since in my right! Hopefully your stitches either dissolve soon or they can take them out for ya :)
    It's really odd. I though after the section pain and infections and all else that I couldn't go through it again but now im ready :) we're gonna wait at least a year to try again though :)

N has all of a sudden taken a liking to music :) he loves playing on his mat and I put on a CD or a music channel lol (I don't let him watch the TV but he an still hear it) he just chills out to it lol all music except anything with heavy drums hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Hey All,

Baby is 19 days old, I suppose I've graduated from the pregancy thread to this forum! :)

Quick question: I'm breastfeeding, it was very sore at the start. Now, my left breast has no pain in the nipples at all. However, my right nipple is very sore still (not infected, but cracked). I'm using Lansinoh, and i have used mother's mate pads (don't really notice any difference).

I know everyone says that pain is due to poor positioning of the baby, but I position him exactly the same on the right as I do on the left!

Have any of you still had cracked nipples after 19 days? Does the pain do away? I do enjoy breastfeeding but dread feeding from the left breast, and I don't want to give up.

• Advertisement

Hey All,

Baby is 19 days old, I suppose I've graduated from the pregancy thread to this forum! :)

Quick question: I'm breastfeeding, it was very sore at the start. Now, my left breast has no pain in the nipples at all. However, my right nipple is very sore still (not infected, but cracked). I'm using Lansinoh, and i have used mother's mate pads (don't really notice any difference).

I know everyone says that pain is due to poor positioning of the baby, but I position him exactly the same on the right as I do on the left!

Have any of you still had cracked nipples after 19 days? Does the pain do away? I do enjoy breastfeeding but dread feeding from the left breast, and I don't want to give up.

Welcome ivy!!! Just like the pregnancy ( and TTC thread for that matter!) this thread is extremely helpful!!! :)
    I had really really bad nipples for first 2 weeks - I was passing blood clots and any milk I expressed was pink ! Yuck! I said it to my doctor and she prescribed an ointment which the pharmacy had to make up - it was called APNO oint ( all purpose nipple oint) and contained 50% steroid and 50% antibiotic - I didn't think they were infected - just raw and cracked - but this stuff sorted both nipples out within 36 hrs and I haven't had to use it since and have stopped bleeding and making strawberry milk.... Euuggh! I had to use it after feeds to minimise A's contact with it and could use lansinoh half hr after used it if needs be. It's prescription only tho- but literally has made all the difference to me and I now really enjoy breast feeding!

Hey All,

it does get better!!! i never got the cracked nipples but i did have one side that was sore. i would nearly cry, actually did cry when i had to feed her from that side. i started feeding her from a different direction. say instead of across my body i turned her body around out to the side so her legs were on a pillow kind of. it didnt hurt this way and after a few days i could feed whatever way i wanted. e is 9 weeks now and no pain!! its all trial and error but ya will get there. ur nearly at 3 weeks now!!

dublinlady wrote: »

im the same. i think it would be such hard work to bottle feed!!! tho im sure id get used to all the sterilising and making up feeds if i did it for a while.:rolleyes: not doin it yet anyway! i think since im with her all day and would hav to make up feeds anyway i may as well just breastfeed cos its so handy! granted she could feed for ages sometimes where as if she had a bottle she would be done in no length. i love bein able to express and head off for an hour and know shes grand and theres food if shes hungry!!

e is just over 9 weeks now and has been sleeping from nout 11ish til 7ish which is great. i dont think i could get her down earlier cos she feeds alot between 9 and 10.30. i might try start getting her down a bit earlier shortly even half an hour. but i dont want her waking earlier. its all trial and error. its crazy!

she fed every 2 hours yesterday and its shaping up to be much the same today. and im so tired yesterday and today. thinking mayb its cos of this!! shes lying on her mat now loving it!! so cute :D

cbyrd wrote: »
    Put the gavisgon into her bottle . . it's so much less messy ;) i did the on a spoon once .. NEVER again :D one sachet per 4 oz . . but if its a 6 oz or more put in 2 ;)

i expressed milk and did this and she cried during the feed!:( wont do this again. im using a syringe but when ya mix it up it end up bein 3 syringes!! im lucky if i get half of 1 syringe into her. she hates it and sometimes cries and gags!! i figure if i get a bit into her its better than none. i hate it tho. i do think its helpin tho... maybe:rolleyes:

Woohoo!!! Welcome Ivy! Congratulations....what did you have? How are you both doing? :D

IvyTheTerrible first off congrats on your little one. For the cracked nipples the only thing that will stop it is getting the latch right. You can go to see a lactation consultant in your hospital or get in touch with a local la Leche league or Cuidiu group. Both associations have highly trained counsellors who could have a look at how the baby is positioned when feeding. They can also check for things like tongue tie which can affect latching.

In the meantime air your breasts as much as possible so go without a bra when you're at home and rub some breastmilk on your nipples after feeding. The APNO is supposed to be amazing but you need a prescription so perhaps go to your gp. However breastmilk is a fantastic healing ointment for mother and baby so start with that.

Cracked nipples and pain while breastfeeding aren't normal but most of us have been through it at the start. I think most babies have a favourite side where it's easier to feed from; it could also be because one side of your body is stronger than the other so you hold the baby differently without even knowing it. A good lactation consultant will help you with this and once you sort it out you'll find it great.

Also try laid back breastfeeding as it puts less pressure on the breast as the baby isn't hanging out of it. I think they're are some links on the breastfeeding support thread and look it up on you tube.

I had awful bleeding nipples in the first few days but when the LC corrected the latch they cleared up with a day or so and we never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

welcome Ivy, and congrats! ;-)

can't believe the amounts your kids are sleeping - at 15 weeks, we're lucky if we get 6 hours out of Mr. E at a stretch :o Mostly we're feeding every 4 - 5 hours though. It's not bad, but it could be better...

Started teething as well - the joys! :rolleyes:

galah wrote: »
    welcome Ivy, and congrats! ;-)

can't believe the amounts your kids are sleeping - at 15 weeks, we're lucky if we get 6 hours out of Mr. E at a stretch :o Mostly we're feeding every 4 - 5 hours though. It's not bad, but it could be better...

Started teething as well - the joys! :rolleyes:

Galah don't say that.... I'd rather believe the 8 hr ppl..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I wish I was back at the no sleep/ tiny baby stage :o It's hard to remember being able to leave her in on her play mat for a couple of minutes and nip to the the loo and know she'd still be there when you got back! :p

We were very lucky though, E slept through 8-8 from about 11/12 weeks old. She continued on like that for the most part except for the odd growth spurt :) Up at 6.30 is an early morning for us now, usually between 7-8am, it could be a lot worse!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Hey All,

I know for me my right breast was the more sore and took longer to heal. I had cracked nipples but bleed very little. I don't think I did anything different in my holding position - she wouldn't feed in any other position - but at 3 weeks I was in such a state I turned to the bottle for a little break. I'm still breastfeeding but that weekend where it was mostly bottle really helped me to regain a healthy mindset and let me sleep, as well as letting my nipples heal a bit quicker.

I went back to the breast properly after that, apart from one feed in the evening. I wasn't able to express (and possibly don't have the patience for it) so it gives himself a chance to feed her. And it's the only break I get sometimes. But do talk to your PHN about the latch. My (mental) problem was that everyone was telling me I was so great and so good at it and all I felt was pain. I felt like I couldn't complain when everyone thought I was doing so well. When I eventually broke down and told himself that I wanted to give her one or two bottles, I felt like the worst sort of person ever - and made him late for work cos I decided to do it in the morning after a terrible night (and had a nosebleed over my pillow). Word from the wise: Don't let it get to this!

As for herself, she's growing like mad. She's grown out of the 0-3 mths suits from Pennys, and is looking like she'll grow out of the 3-6 mths suits from MnS soon. Weighed her yesterday in one of the chemists - 14 pounds. Which is big enough... at 11 weeks anyway!

From about 5-6 weeks she was going down at 12 and waking at 6 which was a good stretch. She's always been calm and fairly placid - though I won't say she's not able to scream and roar when she wants to! Himself was wanting to go on a ski holiday (he goes every year for a few weeks - or at least he did until this year!) so I said yes, since she was so good. And I have to say it was a pretty good decision. She was with a nanny during the day from 9-2, who gave a written report on when she ate, slept and pooped and it really gave me a proper idea on her own schedule (I don't think I would have noticed other wise) which I've tried to keep her on since we've been home.

And I don't know was it the mountain air or the extra stimulation (between the nanny and the other guests in the chalet all coming over for a cuddle) but she started going down at 11, then half 10 and since coming home it's jumped to 7.30/8 and at the latest 9. We've been giving her a bath every second night and on those nights it's definatly 8. We feel so blessed!

Though at the moment I don't think so since I've had a cold for the last week, he's had a tummy bug, so I'm tired dispite it all. Most days she doesn't go down for either or her two naps and she's getting tired and fussy and I can't do anything cos she won't sit in her bouncy chair or anything. I think part of it is that she had outgrown the lie flat pram we've been using. She won't go down into that during the day anymore. I took her for a walk just
    now in her buggy (the older baby easy folding type) and she has stayed asleep in that for nearly an hour now - easily longer than the ten minutes she'd stick it out in the other one during the day.

And it might seem like we have it easy so I'll simply mention the 15 yr old stepson who's currently in counsilling, had to move in with his granny for a few weeks and who should be moving back in at the weekend. Secretly I think that's the reason for the tummy bug himself had - stress. Oh, and the 13 yr old stepson who might be moving in by the summertime.

It's all good. :o

Advertisement