Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Prospects and Discussion (January + Early Feb 2012)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

blackius wrote: »
    Matt like Evelyn loves exciting weather and obviously cold weather and are constantly on the look out for it in winter.
    Looking for it doesn't make it come though as we have learned yet again right through january.
    If we have a similar fruitless february,then the cold can fcek off

It can feck off, unless we get a massive snow storm similar to the one in April 1933. The snow won't last long, but i'd personally love to experience something like that. I'm not too sure about Evelyn liking cold weather, she is always saying things like "but, thankfully it'll be milder.., though maybe she is concealing her true wishes for the benefit of the viewers:D?

Anyway after viewing the countrytracks, Simon Keeling's forecast, which someone posted a few days ago, looks to be a very plausible outcome now. I haven't followed his forecasts over the winter, but i think the same poster said his forecasts have been fairly accurate so far this winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

12z GFS is an improvement on recent runs. Less energy through the GIN corridor means better posistioning in terms of height increases to our North and better westward propagation of very cold surface air from the near continent as well as the Artic airmass entrenched in Eastern Europe. A step in the right direction.

Rtavn1621.png

Rtavn1802.png

Typical dramatic surface temperature effect at night.

Rtavn18617.png

At 192 here comes the attempted Atlantic undercut - incoming!

Rtavn1921.png

Rtavn2042.png

And that folks is how we get a proper Easterly in place. Note the cold pool over Europe.
    Rtavn2162.png

Keep calm! :D

12z UKMO shows Atlantic conditions returning next Friday.

Will the ecm back the ukmo? we really don't want to see the gfs out on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

cant see the cold winning out myself its had a load of chances this winter but the atlantic wins out every time, think the westerlys are just too strong this winter,maybe next winter:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Met Eireann actually use up to 5 models, not just the ECMWF. They use the UKMO, DWD, Hirlam and Harmonie too, so it's not just a simple case of they are reading the ECMWF model output and that's that.

I myself reckon we'll see around a week-long easterly in around 2 weeks' time, but back to Atlantic dominance after that. The current building of the high to the east is encouraging but is only a remote response to the changes in the minor strat warming over the past two weeks, which has been nothing of note. With nothing spectacular looking like happening in the strat any time soon, I think the PV may just about hold its own and begin to restrengthen over the next couple of weeks. By then though the cold to the east will be well in place and should have a big say for a while. I think it will push west enough for some normal February easterlies, which may or may not deliver snow depending on specifics, but after that it will push further east and stay east.

Interesting times though, we'll see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

@ howlinwolf I disagree, the cold is only getting a chance now.
    The Polar Vortex has been far too strong to allow any proper easterly cold to develop.We're getting this chance now because it has weaken immensely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

redsunset wrote: »
    @ howlinwolf I disagree, the cold is only getting a chance now.
    The Polar Vortex has been far too strong to allow any proper easterly cold to develop.We're getting this chance now because it has weaken immensely.

I was thinking there is a massive warming ongoing or forecast to come and its nearly technically a SSW event :confused:

I was thinking there is a massive warming ongoing or forecast to come and its nearly technically a SSW event :confused:

according to the lads over on netweather it hasn't been as good as it could have been, the ep flux went towards the equators ran than polewards, which prevented an actual ssw event happening.
    this meant the polar vortex in the upper stratosphere was not as weakened as it could have been. which i think means once the warming is over, the polar vortex at lower levels will be able to reestablish itself quicker.

or am i mistaken? i may well be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

according to the lads over on netweather it hasn't been as good as it could have been, the ep flux went towards the equators ran than polewards, which prevented an actual ssw event happening.
    this meant the polar vortex in the upper stratosphere was not as weakened as it could have been. which i think means once the warming is over, the polar vortex at lower levels will be able to reestablish itself quicker.

That's what I reckon will happen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

Su Campu wrote: »

That's what I reckon will happen anyway.
    What does that mean ? Lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

This was one of the lines the last update:

We are now at a situation where currently we are seeing a warming into the core of the vortex far closer to the troposphere than encountered so far this winter - at the 30 hPa level.

The upper warnings so far have had the net effect of dragging the mean zonal negative winds equator wards which has somewhat inhibited the effect felt in northern latitudes tropospherically with the stratospheric polar vortex reducing but still present.

What do you think RED ? Your the resident SSW expert ?

So we can compare the forecast for the mean zonal winds and look to see that the polar vortex has reduced dramatically in intensity as we are not too far away from a technical SSW.

only one wrote: »
    What does that mean ? Lol

Its all in here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056438481

Get yourself a cup of tea and park off a few hours !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

This was one of the lines the last update:

We are now at a situation where currently we are seeing a warming into the core of the vortex far closer to the troposphere than encountered so far this winter - at the 30 hPa level.

What do you think RED ? Your the resident SSW expert ?

So we can compare the forecast for the mean zonal winds and look to see that the polar vortex has reduced dramatically in intensity as we are not too far away from a technical SSW.

well i did actually ask chino' about all this over on netweather, he seems to think the warming at the 30 hpa level is a significant event. so who am I to disagree!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

It can feck off, unless we get a massive snow storm similar to the one in April 1933.

It's possible, if it's cold enough, to get good snow weather (sub-zero for 20hrs/day) till mid-March. :)

In 2001 on the last day of February we had this.....

IMG_0145.jpg

And despite cloudless skies and a March sun, five days later it still looked like this.....

IMG_0163.jpg

Excuse quality; digital was less pixeled in them days.

(And so far as I can remember, winter 2000/2001 was snowless till then - was it one of those occasional years when March was the coldest "winter" month?)

Europe in the freezer on the ECM at 168hrs

Recm1682.gif

Might take a holiday to Greece

Recm2162.gif

Serious stuff in the East of the continent by day 10

Recm2402.gif

Good news is it is not that far away from the GFS at 144hrs. A little less energy and a bit more amplification into the North arm of the jet and they would be virtually the same. Small differences though make big differences further down the line.

At least it is not the UKMO tonight which is yuk. Still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=530&q=clutching+at+straws&gbv=2&oq=clutching+at+straws&aq=0&aqi=g1g-m2g-S7&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=1191l4715l0l6308l19l18l0l1l1l0l497l3749l1.7.4.3.1l16l0I dunno guys :(

This winter has been right up there with finding out there was no Santa !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=530&q=clutching+at+straws&gbv=2&oq=clutching+at+straws&aq=0&aqi=g1g-m2g-S7&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=1191l4715l0l6308l19l18l0l1l1l0l497l3749l1.7.4.3.1l16l0I dunno guys :(

This winter has been right up there with finding out there was no Santa !!!

What do you mean - no Santa ?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Stay on topic please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭jirafa

Consistency in forecasting cold weather 22/1/2012

Video Link .................. http://youtu.be/oEup9llw2qw

The latest ecm charts seems to put energy from the northern arm of the jet a little too far south, which then prevents the russian high from moving far enough westwards.

it really will be interesting to see the ecm 32 day update tomorrow. if it's positive, will the ukmo then perhaps change their 6-15 outlook to back an easterly developing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭jirafa

viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20120122;time=12;ext=84;file=prectypeuktopo;sess=cb03ef0a3cd5e3f050bd965897ddf4ce;

viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20120122;time=12;ext=87;file=prectypeuktopo;sess=cb03ef0a3cd5e3f050bd965897ddf4ce;

viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20120122;time=12;ext=90;file=prectypeuktopo;sess=cb03ef0a3cd5e3f050bd965897ddf4ce;

viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20120122;time=12;ext=102;file=prectypeuktopo;sess=cb03ef0a3cd5e3f050bd965897ddf4ce;

:D:D:D:D Just a tease,cant see that happening somehow ...:o:o:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

South Westerly for next week. GFS looking best for some cold weather. But will enough cold have built up on the continent to give us a freeze?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

The latest ecm charts seems to put energy from the northern arm of the jet a little too far south, which then prevents the russian high from moving far enough westwards.

it really will be interesting to see the ecm 32 day update tomorrow. if it's positive, will the ukmo then perhaps change their 6-15 outlook to back an easterly developing?
    Doubt it.
    This has all the hallmarks of an academic meaningless mathematical soiree in Fi by the models inventing hypothetical outcomes disconnected from reality with barely two hopes (one of which is Bob) of ever happening before mid February now by the looks of things.
    Something dramatic has to change and it doesn't seem to want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Doubt it.
    This has all the hallmarks of an academic meaningless mathematical soiree in Fi by the models inventing hypothetical outcomes disconnected from reality with barely two hopes (one of which is Bob) of ever happening before mid February now by the looks of things.

So now the feb cold snap is off too, oh the horrors:(I'm going to go cry now....:pac: Jk not really but sort of:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Flying Fish

Me thinks ... Topflight Ski last minute deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Doubt it.

So now the feb cold snap is off too, oh the horrors:(I'm going to go cry now....:pac: Jk not really but sort of:P
    Just had a quick look at the latest GFS run and the easterly is gone from the last run, it's time to call this as a non event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

And now the GFS falls in line with the ECM, game over folks!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

The last time it was the ECM that was pushing cold while GFS was showing milder runs. Now we have just had vice versa.

It was always FI tho. Hey it might pick up again. No doubt it will be for mid Feb tho, we'll watch the models for a week and see it all drop of in one run of the models....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement