Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Prospects and Discussion (January + Early Feb 2012)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

gfs+348.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Maybe in the next 10-11 days but as I said if we cant get that vortex displaced from the west of Greenland it will be a struggle, Its a wait and see situation.

I agree! The PV has not shifted from the Greenland region this winter and its not looking good I'm afraid especially if people are looking for easterly set up. I really don't hold much hope for any prolonged cold spell his winter.

The best we are looking at the moment is from the NW or N and saying that only short lived. Sorry guys put thats my two cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

MTs thoughts from NW :)

I think we may see improvements or trends closer to current outlier GFS pert 13, in large part because the low developing in eastern North America may not be as fast to develop or move northeast after 72h. There is already a weakening trend in the Greenland PV and a stronger vortex near Baffin Island. It would not take much from the current starting point to throw the balance back towards blocking and Scandinavian high building. Watch for this trend to appear in the next 24-36h of model runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

I would love to know what you's think will happen..
    Honestly though and no favouring towards what you want!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Answer is nobody really knows 100%

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Wild Bill, do your local crows as well so we can get to quasi mesocscale on the crows as soon as. :D

My locals are all rooks....

800px-Corvus_frugilegus.jpg

The ole Corvus frugilegus (L) ...and frankly they are not a patch on the hooded crow when it comes to forecasting; but their hindsight is 20/20/20/20 - which is even better than some of the punters on these weather threads :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Folks,

I am not sure where all this talk of a possible cold spell is coming from!

Look at the North Atlantic pressure chart (link below) - I have found this to be very accurate even when pushed out by up to a week into the future. This shows High Pressure over the UK & Ireland for this coming weekend.

This will be followed by Atlantic rain belts on Sunday and into Monday as the Atlantic takes the reins again. The flow is west to east. Not what we want!

This January so far must rank up there with the mild muck of 2002 - 2008 :mad: The window for decent winter weather just seems to be closing in on us...................

D

http://magicseaweed.com/msw-surf-charts2.php?chart=2&res=500&type=pressure&starttime=1326142800

derekon wrote: »
    This January so far must rank up there with the mild muck of 2002 - 2008 :mad: The window for decent winter weather just seems to be closing in on us...................

Just what the local rooks are indicating by their flight patterns and other secret signs.

But that's good!

They are hopeless at telling weather going forward.

Snow on 20th January - remember where you heard it first - and it wasn't in the damn rookery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Folks,

I am not sure where all this talk of a possible cold spell is coming from!

Look at the North Atlantic pressure chart (link below) - I have found this to be very accurate even when pushed out by up to a week into the future. This shows High Pressure over the UK & Ireland for this coming weekend.

This will be followed by Atlantic rain belts on Sunday and into Monday as the Atlantic takes the reins again. The flow is west to east. Not what we want!

D

http://magicseaweed.com/msw-surf-charts2.php?chart=2&res=500&type=pressure&starttime=1326142800

The best we have expected would be frost over the weekend. I have not seen anything suggesting snow was planned this weekend. I think the 21st we might seen some more indication of colder conditions. I see from the weather the winds are from the south east over the weekend.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Just what the local rooks are indicating by their flight patterns and other secret signs.

But that's good!

They are hopeless at telling weather going forward.

Snow on 20th January - remember where you heard it first - and it wasn't in the damn rookery :D

Ok Wild Bill, I am going to hold you to that so! Snow boots out on the 20th January!! :D:D

D

• Advertisement

Lucreto wrote: »
    The best we have expected would be frost over the weekend. I have not seen anything suggesting snow was planned this weekend. I think the 21st we might seen some more indication of colder conditions. I see from the weather the winds are from the south east over the weekend.

Hi Lucreto, predicting any decent cold spell is like the proverbial donkey and carrot. We never seem to get the carrot (snow) as its always just out of reach (ie the following weekend etc...). Oh why do we torture ourselves with these weather charts?!! :D:D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

dsmythy wrote: »
    Answer is nobody really knows 100%
    :D:D
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOKD2Vzjk-k-btq-RkCDBcHC8DXtltTTPqvB8kt_sLx0GCOLb3

Hi Lucreto, predicting any decent cold spell is like the proverbial donkey and carrot. We never seem to get the carrot (snow) as its always just out of reach (ie the following weekend etc...). Oh why do we torture ourselves with these weather charts?!! :D:D

D

True but like Wild Bill said next week might be more likely for wintery conditions. That is where I am placing my flag and if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen and I will be writing off the winter at that point.

I skimmed through the previous pages and I have not seen many serious posts on cold this weekend. Most people see this weekend a starting point for cold conditions and according to the weather on 9.30 there will be frost this weekend.

Lucreto wrote: »
    True but like Wild Bill said next week might be more likely for wintery conditions. That is where I am placing my flag and if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen and I will be writing off the winter at that point.

I skimmed through the previous pages and I have not seen many serious posts on cold this weekend. Most people see this weekend a starting point for cold conditions and according to the weather on 9.30 there will be frost this weekend.

Thats a fair point. The ECMWF (which I tend to trust the most) is indicating a cool down from the middle of next week. However, this could change. Like you, If I don't see the models changing by the end of next week I think it could be time to write off winter 2011/2012

D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

You put quite a detailed forecast up the other day, Presumably your own, What do you think will happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Thats a fair point. The ECMWF (which I tend to trust the most) is indicating a cool down from the middle of next week. However, this could change. Like you, If I don't see the models changing by the end of next week I think it could be time to write off winter 2011/2012

D

I think it could be time to write off winter 2011/2012

ohhhh , that sounds so depressing !!!:(

come on models , show us something decent..!!

NIALL D wrote: »
    I think it could be time to write off winter 2011/2012

ohhhh , that sounds so depressing !!!:(

come on models , show us something decent..!!

I declare a challenge to the models.

Show us that it can snow in huge quantities after this mild winter but I doubt it has the stones to do it.

PROVE ... ME... WRONG :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Think everyone missed the memo that charts will flip flop before settling into a pattern , its obvious to see that there still all over the place ,

Il follow what MT has said and wont throw the toys out just yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

18z is a bit better, Atlantic slower coming in and PV further away to the west.

FI interesting again, Arctic high stronger. Dates of interest for me are 20th - 23rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Calm down people, 10th of January, well over a month left for potential of a decent cold spell :rolleyes:

Still little confidence after next weekend so not much point in discussing it much really, a return to cooler westerlies but big changes still on every run so anything after 120h could see big changes.

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    Calm down people, 10th of January, well over a month left for potential of a decent cold spell :rolleyes:

We're 2-0 down and running out of time! Time to panic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I called it during the last cold weather thread and nothing has changed since

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Times like this I miss Su Campu!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭eyesquirm

At least I can go out cycling in peace. Rest of you can piss off.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

eyesquirm wrote: »
    At least I can go out cycling in peace. Rest of you can piss off. :D
    sure how would cold stop you doing that? bloody fairweather cyclists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Times like this, Su Campu knows why he left

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

BRTky.jpg

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

BBC weather forecast said some parts of the UK would experience its first frosts of the winter this weekend, remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuDWDHsmSi0e9v3X3UZUpy2jLAoJQIokZQPn4U2CtZcEqhWFq8PA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I think we have missed the chance of that easterly occuring inside the next 10 days- I know FI is +96hrs at the moment but given all the model output and the fact that we need certain things to happen inside this timeframe I am 90% sure we have missed the boat. (the first one anyway ;) )

**There are still a few ens members that give us the undercutting low inside +120hrs and deliver an easterly soon after-The chance of this happening is about 5% I reckon**

BUT I am sure we will get another chance at a pattern change at around day 10- as the PV moves out of greenland ala 18z GFS-and it also shows the Jet heading much further south than the 12z, I suppose that just proves how volatile model output is at the moment. But the Jet has to move south eventually so why not now? (or in 10 days) Also the Aleutian high will start rebuilding accross the pole from about day 10, giving us another chance at High pressure linking up accross the arctic and keeping the PV somewhat split/building heights around svalbard. :)

Overall I expected things to happen quicker than they appear to be happening, it seems its going to be a slow process but I am sure we will atleast get another few chances of a pattern change to colder weather before its too late. Someone mentioned this winter being over- Maybe you are right but who's to say february wont be a repeat of last december? Or even feb 1933/47/56/63/mid-80's/1991 or 2009??

I think that we are more likely to experience a Feb of that vintage rather than a record mild Feb-Given repeated minor stratosphere warmings/-AO/Southerly tracking jet And the fact thet the last 3 winters have brought memorable cold spell's to our shores.

Thats it from me tonight- Models to continue to chop and change until this time next week, then they will settle on a pattern change to the mother of all Blocks to our North. :D

Dan :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement