Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2012 & training log links

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I don't update on Sundays. And my mileage should begin to rack up more from now on all going well. Top ten is my carrot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Bally8 wrote: »
    You've been lucky! Haven't been to a pool in two weeks! Wait until this weekend! :D

Woohoohoo! Challenge accepted:D

Okay, so my planned mega session of 2k Saturday, 2k Sunday didn't materialise! Swam once on Saturday, had to convince myself to keep going after 600m (soft or what?!). Got to 1000m. Decided I could hit 11k (for the year!) if I did another 300m. Haven't swam in two weeks. Hoping to get three swims in this week.

60% of the run green... kentuckypete (for once not RC... oooh) :)

Boom! Into first place! RC didn't know what hit her.

Interesting battle between Gohard and Nerraw111. Gohard a few spots ahead but will his higher run mileage trump Nerraw's time in the saddle when it comes to race time? Remains to be seen

I'm playing the long game! Nerraw was streets ahead of me in the Annagh Hill mountain race. I'm talking 48 minutes versus 52. Miles ahead! Just trying to build my aerobic base! Trying to pick my 7 Wednesday Night races now. Hopefully my higher mileage will reap dividends in the summer.

Still 3 hoochies in the top 10 with Oryx not far off. Good on ya ladies, keep up the pressure. I have to get back on the bike and hold Shell to Run off

Top two runners were ladies until kentuckeypete updated which is darn impressive. Serious training being clocked up!
    Thankfully after approx 18 missed sessions this stupid illness seems to be, fingers crossed, lifting and I will be back to action this week :(

The biggest movers last week were DeePop and Zico10 both up 5 spots, great stuff lads.

Whatever you had you had it bad! Make sure it's properly gone before you hit the hard sessions.

@Donothoponpop - fair play, with your colds and hacking coughs you still managed to soar through the rankings. God help us when you're in good health!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

The biggest movers last week were DeePop and Zico10 both up 5 spots, great stuff lads.

Happy training folks :)

I also killed a snake on my last cycle. Bad Ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

zico10 wrote: »
    I also killed a snake on my last cycle. Bad Ass!

I caused a cattle stampede on mine. There's a pattern here Zico!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I killed a squirrel on Sundays run, well i hoped into the ditch to avoid a car which seemed to startle the poor bugger as he legged it out under both wheels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Aim this week is to complete my planned sessions, get back to the running and eat better. (and move up 1-2 places too :))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Had a great long run on Sunday. Ran over the sand dunes on Bull Island. Serious burn in the legs after.

Plan is for 5 runs this week, one to include hills and hopefully another off-road run.

I'm also going to make an effort to post here each time I update the spreadsheet, I couldn't remember when I last updated it and had to go through my MapMyRun log for the year again to make sure I wasn't missing or double counting anything.

1 position up from last week, time to start clawing my way out of the relegation zone.

[Edit]Would it be a good idea to include a "Last Updated" Column on the spreadsheet? like in the ART Weight Loss challenge[/Edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Congrats on the first green Fazz!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Week 9 will undoubtedly see the first green target and who know maybe even the second too.. both Fazz probably :rolleyes:

Word. :D

Green 1 in the Swim has been achieved...
    And with a 3.8k straight main set too. Not race pace thankfully but still happy with 1:03:20 for a first attempt.
    No I don't have any ironman planned for quite some time, just a useful gauger!

My plan doesn't have enough biking for Green 2 this week, Izoard may be closer depending on his taper km's leading up to Saturday's 200km! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Impressive work Fazz. Green inside (just) 2 months. Nice.

Rolling out a prediction, and touch wood staying healthy, I should hit a green by Paddys Day. I have a feeling there will be many that make it there before me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Shotgun could you put a link to last years challenge in the opening post, would be interesting to see how i am doing versus last year. I cant find it in the archives

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

catweazle wrote: »
    Shotgun could you put a link to last years challenge in the opening post, would be interesting to see how i am doing versus last year. I cant find it in the archives

Done! Links to both 2011 and 2010 Challenege Threads aded to the OP.

Happy Nerding :)

Well done to Fazz on the first Green.. Nice one Kid, and with a 73 minute 3.8 pool swim too :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Happy Nerding :)

Yikes I am sorry I asked - down on both biking and running versus this time last year, slightly up on swimming, so much for a bigger aerobic base this year :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

catweazle wrote: »
    Yikes I am sorry I asked - down on both biking and running versus this time last year, slightly up on swimming, so much for a bigger aerobic base this year :o

Saw an interesting item recently - IIRC, PNF when she was chatting with Mirinda Carfrae. She was basically saying that looking at previous years log books and comparing is a waste of time and can be counterproductive.

Congrats on the first green Fazz. Nice swim time too for the 3.8k :cool:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Saw an interesting item recently - IIRC, PNF when she was chatting with Mirinda Carfrae. She was basically saying that looking at previous years log books and comparing is a waste of time and can be counterproductive.

Doing it for comparison purposes yes, counterproductive. To learn from your mistakes and/or success, the contrary. Maintaining a log is key for learning IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Doing it for comparison purposes yes, counterproductive. To learn from your mistakes and/or success, the contrary. Maintaining a log is key for learning IMO

Very valid point Mike. I'm sure that for you and many others, that review is done before the next season starts and lessons learned are clearly identified in the off season. I agree maintaining a log is key for learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭griffin100

Yay - broke 500km for the run :D

Now if only I could break 10km for the bike......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Congratulations on the first green Fazz. You've swam further than I've ran :rolleyes:

Not that it will affect us peons at the bottom of the table, but a system will need to be worked out to keep the green and golds at the top now..

Congratulations on the first green Fazz. You've swam further than I've ran :rolleyes:

Not that it will affect us peons at the bottom of the table, but a system will need to be worked out to keep the green and golds at the top now..

I've added column X - Greens.

Sort by SBR points first (column I), then sort by column X.
    This will sort by SBR points first, then sorting by the Green targets achieved will bring Fazz up to first position.

I've added column X - Greens.

Sort by SBR points first (column I), then sort by column X.
    This will sort by SBR points first, then sorting by the Green targets achieved will bring Fazz up to first position.

I haven't seen this yet but off the top of my head if you sort by SBR points first, then green as you propose above.. Izoard will be #1 and Fazz #2

Unless you are doing independent sorts. At whch point when Golds are introduced it will involve 3 individual sorts which is cumbersome

• Advertisement

I haven't seen this yet but off the top of my head if you sort by SBR points first, then green as you propose above.. Izoard will be #1 and Fazz #2

Unless you are doing independent sorts. At whch point when Golds are introduced it will involve 3 individual sorts which is cumbersome

The Googledocs sort doesn't work the same way as Excel sort does (where you can specify sort by A, then B, then C).

To get the same effect you sort by SBR points and Izoard is first with 10 points, Fazz is second with 14, BetterThanHoyt is third with 17. Subsequently sorting by Greens brings Fazz to the top (with 1 green) and everybody else remains in their SBR-sorted positions. So Fazz is first with one green and 14 points. Izoard is second with zero greens and 10 points. etc.

Gold will mess things up. But this works for the moment.

BetterThanHoyt is third with 17

:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I'm ko'd with illness at the moment. Was afraid to look at the spreadsheet to see the damage until today, :eek:

My February stats:
    Swim: 1.5km - Poor
    Cycle: 141.6km - Getting Better
    Run: 103.15 - Slow start to the month but the last three weeks have gone well. Running is my focus at the moment before Connemara Half Marathon.

I signed up for the Humbert Challenge Half Ironman today, this will be my first attempt at the distance.

The Googledocs sort doesn't work the same way as Excel sort does (where you can specify sort by A, then B, then C).

To get the same effect you sort by SBR points and Izoard is first with 10 points, Fazz is second with 14, BetterThanHoyt is third with 17. Subsequently sorting by Greens brings Fazz to the top (with 1 green) and everybody else remains in their SBR-sorted positions. So Fazz is first with one green and 14 points. Izoard is second with zero greens and 10 points. etc.

Gold will mess things up. But this works for the moment.

I had a good think about this and reckon I have the solution. Google docs actually does sort by a sequence of columns as in excel

GoHard your method can work if you assign specific values to green and gold. For it to work effectively with a 2 sequence single sort green must be valued at 3 and gold at 4. Why does this work? Well...

12 points = 3 gold
    11 points = 2 gold + 1 green
    10 points = 1 gold + 2 greens
    9 points = 3 green
    8 points = 2 gold
    7 points = 1 gold + 1 green
    6 points = 2 green
    4 points = 1 gold
    3 points = 1 green

So, when sorting you sort first by 'target points' in 'A-Z' ascending order, then add another sort by 'SBR Points' in 'Z-A' descending order.

Solved :)

This thread really confirms the term "Tri-Geek"

Good man mcos! I was thinking there had to be a way. During a run I was trying to use 10 for green and 5 for gold but I have the mental agility of a parsnip while running and never got around to working it out.

3 and 4. Who'd have thunk!

BetterThanHoyt is third with 17.
    :D:D:D:D

You're fourth now! Get a move on.
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I'm ko'd with illness at the moment. Was afraid to look at the spreadsheet to see the damage until today, :eek:

Me too! Haven't done anything in a few days. Will ease back into it this weekend.

You're fourth now! Get a move on.

Does my 160k spin yesterday improve that? If not then hopefully the 120 tomorrow does! Can't update as I only have phone access for the weekend.

• Advertisement

Had a great brick session on Saturday. 18.5K spin over Howth, 5K trail run up the cliff walk and then another 28.5K back over the steep side of the hill and out to Portmarnock.

I'm only managing one spin a week at the moment but have noticed that the increased running is having a beneficial effect on my cycling.

Advertisement