Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2012 & training log links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Just the regular posters/loggers I follow...

Abhainn
    Tunney
    King Quez

any others?

Welcome to the Challenge MichaelDuffy :)

Handangeo... another one I'd like to keep tabs on.

So, whats teh low down on Michael Duffy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Michael Duffy, if you're out there, PM me....I have a few questions for you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Hi Bryan, to be honest I'm a bit of an impostor on the SBR challenge. I'm training for the IMRA mountain running season mostly. 2010 was a good year, 2011 I slipped a bit. I do a few of the multi-sport races like WAR Glendalough and Gaelforce and my cycling has always let me down. Aiming to improve a bit on the bike. I've done a handful of tris in the last few years but my swimming has always been pants and cycling not much better meaning that I arrived at the run in bits as I pushed too hard on the bike. Hoping to do a couple of tris over the summer.

Ah very good. Knew there had to be a simple explanation. Mountain running. Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

So, whats teh low down on Michael Duffy?

Don't let the zeros fool you I'd say MD is there to keep us all on our toes.

Is he really at zero? or does he have a 'green' stashed away already in the SBR bag?

Such is the enigma that is ......MichaelDuffy :D

Week 7 Ranking up now Folks

Izoard Leads and well done to both himself and our ultra SBR hoochie RC on great results at the Donadea 50k :)

The first Green is less than 2 weeks away
    Swim 82% to green - Fazz
    Bike 71% to green - Fazz again
    Run 53% to green - RacoonQueen

Well done all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Think that swim included this mornings effort also but no biggie.
    Recovery week done, and this week is a relatively big one for me.

Goal - stay injury free by doing more of what's working for me.

Cheers for update Mike, hope you're better soon and back on the hard work train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Goals for this week:

Maintain 5th position in Run (bloody RQ and her 50k Saturday run!)
    Jump to 32nd (from 37th) in Bike (100k should do it!) and cycle at least as many kilometres as Warren has run!
    Get to 29th in Swim (from 31st).

If I do that I'll have 66 SBR points which on today's figures would bring me up to 20th position which which would be a jump of 3.

I'm dreading a running update from MDFC of 100k scuppering all my plans!

Right this week like Shell I'll lay down my weekly objectives

1. Try to hold sub 4 minute pace off the bike at the 4.5k/20k/4.5kLimerick Duathlon. I won't hold back on the bike either to hit this, just want to check leg speed after roasting them on the bike (assuming I don't fall off)
    2. Get back to Yoga and spend at least an hour stretching/rolling
    3. Horse into the chocolate and biscuits ahead of Lent

Summary: Duathlon not done. Yoga not done. Feic all done actually. I did horse into the chocolate and biscuits tough :rolleyes:

Plan for this week.
    1. Get healthy and register some form of training.
    2. If I can do that, have a go at the Adare 10k at the weekend
    3. Get over the fact that Fazz will hit the swim green first :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Plan for this week:

Make up for missed sessions last week.

Get at least 3 swims done.
    Turbo and mid week spin as Sunday may not happen due to Kilconerien 5 miler
    Keep my running consistent with another decent week of ground covered.

See my NMT guy for repairs & maintenance for this old body of mine & try update my blog at some stage.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My ambitions this week are like mcos. To stay well and get my energy fully back. And yay! Thanks to a very kind friend who did my entry, I'm doing joey hannan in April :) My years schedule is complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

The small margins at the top of this challenge are gone. There was a time when a 5k run could bump you up three places. How I've just updated almost 6 hours of training from the weekend, and not only has my overall position remained unchanged, I haven't moved one place in any of the three disciplines. What a waste of 6 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Summary: Duathlon not done. Yoga not done. Feic all done actually. I did horse into the chocolate and biscuits tough :rolleyes:

Plan for this week.
    1. Get healthy and register some form of training.
    2. If I can do that, have a go at the Adare 10k at the weekend
    3. Get over the fact that Fazz will hit the swim green first :cool:

I might be able to fix 3 for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

pgibbo wrote: »
    Quite simple training wise for me this week:

1. Not miss any sessions
    2. Learn to suffer on the turbo - this means at over 100% of FTP
    3. Enjoy training which I do most weeks :D

1 & 3 check. Not quite happy with number 2

Wrinse and repeat! ;)

interested wrote: »

Who do I send my stewards enquiry form to???

:D was wondering when the fish would turn up.
    Just put him straight to Gold already, secret swimming in the background waiting to pounce :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Ok this challenge really screws with your head- I know I'm not even mid table but it's still making me want to train when I probably should be doing other life things.

Take for example today- I should be taking my students to the gym but now I have to go to a staff meeting so cant sneak in a quick 5k so that got me in bad form straight away this morning. Then I hear 3 of my neighbours houses were broken into last night so the guards want me to check out my house and boundary to see any signs of people being in but I really want to go for my swim because if I do and Gohardorgohome doesnt then I pass him out in the challenge:eek:

Oh phew just checked it out there- I'm already ahead of him, just about

Fazz wrote: »
    Who do I send my stewards enquiry form to???

:D was wondering when the fish would turn up.
    Just put him straight to Gold already, secret swimming in the background waiting to pounce :)

;) no secret swimming but just joined the party about 4 weeks late this year.
    You guys will be flying come the start of the season with all the work done to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Three goals this week:
    1. Swim 4k +
    2. Hard hill session – run and bike (separate days)
    2. Sports massage

Eventful training week, lots of running and swimming and such is the life of a ‘triathlete’ something suffers and this week it was cycling. Group cycle at the weekend and I decided to take the soft option and took short route home– 32miles instead of 60miles. Was sorry afterwards for going so easy on myself.
    Objectives all meet this week except for massage. Unfortunately that will have to wait until next week. Got savage group hill run in this week - which I thoroughly enjoy and dread all at the same time!
    Objectives this week:
    1. Long cycle
    2. 10 mile tempo run in preparation for Connemara half
    3. Lent – give up chocolate:(
    Just wondering how much training a girl has to do? This week for me it was 6 runs, 2 cycles, 2 turbo, 5 swims and 2 classes (yoga and combat) and still I drop one place in SBR challenge :eek:

So much for my sneaky plan of secret swimming to catch Fazz then! Although I think Fazz is on circa 4k per session so probably more in your league on this column...

Now I'm really rooting for Dory Dory's pool to open ASAP! :D

Interested, if you can do 100k in the pool between now and next Friday then fair play to you! I'll email you the green star myself :)

@shotgun, yes unfortunately I'm not a natural fish so I need to do 8-10k a week to at least maintain some sort of non sinkedness :D So I've been doing 12k+ to try improve.

Its possible I could hit green 1 by Wednesday next week, depends on swim sets coming up.

In the mean time, I'm off to the pool for swim 2 today :) (just a once off!)

;) no secret swimming but just joined the party about 4 weeks late this year.

All I'm going to say is.....welcome. ;)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    All I'm going to say is.....welcome. ;)

I *was* only kidding since Id never any intention of logging distances on boards this year. For all you guys still thinking you're not 'fish' or 'natural fish' - if you're now swimming 12k+ a week you're at least amphibian ;) Good luck with the season !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

My weekly objectives

1) Get my 6000 word college project started! Due 29/02!
    2) Get my other 6000 word college project started! Due 04/03
    3) Pass the above

And training wise:
    1) Dont miss any sessions!
    2) Stay dry on my 4hour bike over the Wicklow mountains this Thursday nailing some good climbs
    3) Clean up and lose some weight, again!

I *was* only kidding since Id never any intention of logging distances on boards this year. For all you guys still thinking you're not 'fish' or 'natural fish' - if you're now swimming 12k+ a week you're at least amphibian ;) Good luck with the season !

What??? Not joining in? Serious disappointment from me as I was already plotting my mileage for the months my pool will be open. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Guys, back logging kms after a few weeks break.

Looks like my totals are all messed up. Any idea how/why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Bally8 wrote: »
    Ok this challenge really screws with your head- I know I'm not even mid table but it's still making me want to train when I probably should be doing other life things.

Take for example today- I should be taking my students to the gym but now I have to go to a staff meeting so cant sneak in a quick 5k so that got me in bad form straight away this morning. Then I hear 3 of my neighbours houses were broken into last night so the guards want me to check out my house and boundary to see any signs of people being in but I really want to go for my swim because if I do and Gohardorgohome doesnt then I pass him out in the challenge:eek:

Oh phew just checked it out there- I'm already ahead of him, just about

You've been lucky! Haven't been to a pool in two weeks! Wait until this weekend! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

You've been lucky! Haven't been to a pool in two weeks! Wait until this weekend! :D

Woohoohoo! Challenge accepted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Guys, back logging kms after a few weeks break.

Looks like my totals are all messed up. Any idea how/why?

Havent seen or heard from you since the new package arrived. Congrats all round. No idea what happened your numbers, some newbie probably! No doubt you have your own record kept anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Back on the wagon - yippee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Objectives this week:
    1. Long cycle
    2. 10 mile tempo run in preparation for Connemara half
    3. Lent – give up chocolate:(

Reasonably happy with this week’s training considering I had a nasty head cold for two days which meant I got no training done for two days. Aired on the side of caution and did a more purposeful 18 mile cycle on TT bike rather than long cycle. Quality over quantity!!
    Run went very well and feel more reassured about Connemara Half. 10 mile group run in 1:17 and felt comfortable throughout AV HR 146.
    Now the Lenten resolution is another matter and I can decisively conclude that chocolate withdrawal results in Flu symptoms!!! Will soldier on though....
    Objectives for the week:
    1. Complete speed work track session
    2. Swim a minimum of 4k
    3. First race of the year – duathlon on Saturday – so hopefully will see if all the training is worthwhile:rolleyes:.

Have a good week all.

• Advertisement

Week 8 ranking done folks and there has been some moving and shaking.

Week 9 will undoubtedly see the first green target and who know maybe even the second too.. both Fazz probably :rolleyes:

91% of the swim green .. Fazz
    83% of bike green.. Fazz again!
    60% of the run green... kentuckypete (for once not RC... oooh) :)

Interesting battle between Gohard and Nerraw111. Gohard a few spots ahead but will his higher run mileage trump Nerraw's time in the saddle when it comes to race time? Remains to be seen

Still 3 hoochies in the top 10 with Oryx not far off. Good on ya ladies, keep up the pressure. I have to get back on the bike and hold Shell to Run off

Thankfully after approx 18 missed sessions this stupid illness seems to be, fingers crossed, lifting and I will be back to action this week :(

The biggest movers last week were DeePop and Zico10 both up 5 spots, great stuff lads.

Happy training folks :)

Advertisement