Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baltimore Ravens Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Offensive tackle and wide receiver in the first two rounds in whatever order please.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Mlb is a need,

Daryl Smith played a stormer this year imo, so he'll be the starter for a few years. That being said we need a reliable no.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Daryl Smith played a stormer this year imo, so he'll be the starter for a few years. That being said we need a reliable no.2.

Absolutely, but can we keep him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The team can't afford all their vets and decisions will have to be made.

Smith played so well he'll get himself a payday.

McClain has been starter but he's not the same after his injury and cutting him would save cap space. He wasn't even that good before his injury

They have a no 2 in Arthur Brown but he hardly got on the field all season as they persisted with Josh Bynes who is little more then a special teamer imo

Ravens aren't a team known for starting rookies immediately and Brown didn't get much of a chance

http://russellstreetreport.com/ravens-2014-free-agency-preview/

Super read here on the state of the salary cap as we approach free agency

Jameel McClain, Sam Koch and Vonta Leach looking very vulnerable to get the axe

• Advertisement

Wilbert Montgomery the running backs coach was sacked today

I'd be looking further up the franchise such as our offensive line coach and our run game coordinator if blame is to be handed out. Even the offensive coordinator

Maybe more sackings to follow, we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Just a heads up for any of yous in the mood for misty eyed reminiscing: Sky Sports 1 are showing Americas Game: The 2012 Ravens at 4.30 tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Does anyone know where I could find the latest America's game online?

Some notes from the annual end of season press conference with Biscotti, Newsome, Harbaugh and Cass:

- Newsome when asked about Suggs returning basically said straight up that he's let good players walk before and would do it again.

- Want to upgrade the size and athleticism of our O-line.

- They've already identified the type of receiver they will hope to bring in. A possession receiver who can ''convert on 3rd and 7 or 8 and gain good yards after the catch.'' They said this receiver may come in the draft, through a trade, or as a free agent.

- Going after a proper free safety as we were virtually playing with two strongs there all year. They want a playmaker at the position who can ''come away with the ball when it's tipped in the air''

- Want the defense to get better at getting off the field on 3rd down but pointed out that there was often 6 new players out there at the same time. They didn't have enough confidence or understanding to get off the field at crucial times which cost us ''three or four games''

- Reiterated a couple of times that an offensive playmaker is the #1 priority this offseason.

Interesting enough that Ozzie was so open on Suggs as he's usually not at all revealing on those issues. I suspect Suggs will be given a 'take it or leave it' offer, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him gone.

On the offensive playmaker, Boldin, Decker, Nicks and James Jones could be options or if we go the draft route then Lee, Evans, Matthews or Benjamin will likely be high on our draft boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ravens aren't a team known for starting rookies immediately and Brown didn't get much of a chance

Brown saw more time towards the end of the season and there were definite signs of improvement. I think the is going to turn into a very, very good player for the Ravens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Paully D wrote: »

- They've already identified the type of receiver they will hope to bring in. A possession receiver who can ''convert on 3rd and 7 or 8 and gain good yards after the catch.'' They said this receiver may come in the draft, through a trade, or as a free agent.

Could have sworn they let just such a receiver go for a 6th round pick last off season.

Lee, Evans,

I thought for a second you were posting about Lee Evans :eek:

Nobody wants to remmbemr the drop/strip in the AFC Championship game

adrian522 wrote: »
    Could have sworn they let just such a receiver go for a 6th round pick last off season.

A massive mistake which everyone concerned has acknowledged.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A massive mistake which everyone concerned has acknowledged.

Saved our season anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I don't think Nicks goes to Baltimore. He'll cost too much and is constantly carrying injuries. He'll go somewhere next year for big money and will probably disappoint!

Well, the Lions hiring of Jim Caldwell has saved Harbaugh from getting his hands dirty and firing him, so who do you all want as our next offensive coordinator?

I seen Ian Rapoport is reporting that we've interviewed Kyle Shanahan (please God no).

Other names mentioned are:

Gary Kubiak - he would likely put us in the best position to get the run game going again.

Rob Chudzinki - can't say I'm a fan, a few Panthers have had nothing but bad things to say about him also

Jim Hostler - in-house candidate and we usually go in-house for these hires.

Norv Turner - I think Turner would be a very good hire. He had the Browns offense ranked mid-way among teams despite basically having no QB. Problem is he's still under contract and the Browns might not let him go depending on what their new head coach wants to do.

For me I'd have Turner as my first choice and Kubiak as my second choice. I wouldn't be a fan at all of Shanahan, Chudzinki or promoting Hostler.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You can have Munch :)

Kubiak please!

I knew releasing Suggs would free up a nice bit of cap space, but I didn't realise just how much. $7.8m! I'd be very surprised if he's back.

Kyle Shanahan & Jim Hostler the only candidates left who have completed interviews for the OC job

Meh, I don't like either choice :/

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Kyle Shanahan & Jim Hostler the only candidates left who have completed interviews for the OC job

Meh, I don't like either choice :/

Both complete rubbish in all honesty. I sense another frustrating year on the offensive side of the ball if that's the quality of offensive coordinator candidate.

Kirby Wilson was the best choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Gary Kubiak is the new OC

Gary Kubiak is the new OC

Delighted with that. Great choice compared to Shanahan and Hostler anyway.

A thumbs up to this news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Very good appointment in my opinion. Might see the Raven's running game back on track next season. Not sure what Kubiak will do for Flacco's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭youngco87

Tristram wrote: »
    Very good appointment in my opinion. Might see the Raven's running game back on track next season. Not sure what Kubiak will do for Flacco's game.

Kubiak turned a few QBs with less talent than Flacco into top QBs based on stats. If he gets the run game back working then Flacco will have a top year with a lot of success coming from play action!

End of season performance grades from Pro Football Focus:

BfkP18hCIAAPIzG.png

Hopefully we can get Monroe tied up.

Thomas Hammock of the Wisconsin Badgers is the new running backs coach. Looks to be an interesting hire. I'm liking the steps the team are taking to improve the running game:

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/6662/impressive-resume-for-new-rb-coach
    The Baltimore Ravens officially announced the hiring of Wisconsin's Thomas Hammock as their running backs coach Thursday.

"Take a look at Thomas’ college résumé," coach John Harbaugh said. "It’s impressive, and it’s clear he can teach, coach and help players become better."

This is the track record that Hammock brings to a Ravens running game that averaged 3.1 yards per carry, the lowest output for any team since the 2007 Chicago Bears:

During Hammock's three seasons as Wisconsin's running backs coach, the Badgers ranked third nationally in rushing yards per attempt (5.7), fourth in rushing touchdowns (121) and seventh overall in rushing yards per game (251.1). Wisconsin led the Big Ten in each of these categories during Hammock's time there.

Badger running backs eclipsed the 100-yard mark 40 times in Hammock's three years, producing the most 100-yard games of any team in the country since 2011.

Hammock has coached the country’s leading rusher twice during his career: Wisconsin's Montee Ball (2011) and Northern Illinois' Garrett Wolfe (2006). Ball, who is in his second season with the Denver Broncos, tied Barry Sanders' NCAA single-season touchdowns record (39) that season.

Last season, Wisconsin set a single-season school record with 3,689 rushing yards and ranked eighth nationally after averaging 283.8 rushing yards per game. Melvin Gordon (1,609) and James White (1,444) set the all-time NCAA record for rushing yards by a pair of teammates in a season, combining for 3,053 yards. The tandem made Wisconsin the nation's only team to produce multiple running backs that averaged more than 100 yards per game.

Hammock replaces Wilbert Montgomery, who coached the Ravens' running backs for the past six seasons. This is Hammock's first job in the NFL.

He reportedly chose the Ravens over the Green Bay Packers and an AFC North team, presumably the Cleveland Browns.

“The opportunity to coach at the highest level -- and that’s what the NFL is -- excites me,” Hammock said. “To come to an organization that is committed to winning and has a coaching staff that is so respected is a tremendous opportunity, and I’m looking forward to getting started. Working with Coach Harbaugh, learning the offense and working with Coach [Gary] Kubiak, and then coaching these outstanding Ravens players, is special."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Looks like the Ravens are targeting a wide receiver and tight end in the draft.
    Eric Ebron from North Carolina a tight end and Marquise Lee a wide receiver from USC options it seems

Advertisement