Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baltimore Ravens Thread

Options
  • 31-12-2011 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I might as well set up a thread for us Ravens fans as there's a few of us on here and it would be handy to have a place for discussion about the team in a dedicated forum.

Has the season gone in line with your off season expectations?

Massive game coming up this weekend in which a win would seal the division and a loss would almost guarantee the Steelers taking it as they should beat the Browns.

Have any of you been to the M&T Bank Stadium for a Ravens game? I'd love to go sometime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I declare this the official Joe Flacco discussion thread. That ought to generate discussion. I prefer this year Joe to last year Joe, that is, Joe who plays poorly often but is clutch, especially against the Steelers and other good defenses. One thing I'm concerned about though is his deep pass, which has really regressed this year despite having some new deep targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Haven't watched a whole heap of the Ravens last year - what's the story with Tandon Doss? I know he's quite low on the depth chart, but he hasn't been active for a few games. Haven't followed him as much as I would have liked, as I was a big fan of his at Indiana. Funny he ended up at Baltimore, as Anquan Boldin is the player he's most like in the NFL imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Haven't watched a whole heap of the Ravens last year - what's the story with Tandon Doss? I know he's quite low on the depth chart, but he hasn't been active for a few games. Haven't followed him as much as I would have liked, as I was a big fan of his at Indiana. Funny he ended up at Baltimore, as Anquan Boldin is the player he's most like in the NFL imo.

I haven't heard much about him but apparently Joe liked him in the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Paully D wrote: »
    Have any of you been to the M&T Bank Stadium for a Ravens game? I'd love to go sometime.

My wife has relations in Maryland who are season ticket holders & we were supposed to go over for the Cardinals game this season. As luck would have it I broke my leg playing football the night before we were due to fly so we had to cancel, :( I was absolutely sickened!!! Made me all the more determined to get there in 2012 though. Seems like theres a great atmosphere for all their home games...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Boldin, Lee Evans, Torrey Smith are all ahead of him

David Reed was the returner and gunner on special teams so he got activated on gameday. Done now for the season with an ACL

LaQuan Williams, an undrafted rookie beat out Doss for special teams and he also has gotton a few snaps and catches this year

Doss is a bit of a clone of Boldin, lets hope he turns out as good

Doss was superb in pre-season, possibly the best rookie drafted.
    Torrey Smith was atrocious but look at the season he's had.

Coming into the season everyone thought Doss would be on the team. Strong, great hands and could be a redzone target.
    Hasn't happened though and since they're not using him for special teams he's been beaten out by a undrafted rookie
    Doss has been inactive most weeks

Boldin out at the moment so Doss got one target last week but failed to catch it.
    Doss will play this week also but Cam Cameron rarely goes beyond three recievers, he may see just a handful of snaps

Ravens are going with two TE's instead. A bit like the Patriots only not as prolific :(

• Advertisement

Did anyone see the Fan Cam earlier this year? :)

They use a high definition camera and scroll around the stadium.
    It's so clear you can zoom in and see the faces of all the fans and all the areas of the stadium.

You would not get to see the stadiums in this details from broadcast TV

Sponsored by Bud so just put in any date of birth, only takes a second

http://www.gigapixelfancam.com/fancams/football/ravens/20111124/?ref=nf

All the icons are fans finding themselves and putting in their name.

They do other games too, here is a rugby game
    http://www.gigapixelfancam.com/

Yes it's a repost

But if you're in this thread you're here for a reason

Never gets old :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Loving the video and the Budweiser camera, thanks for posting Mike.

Here's another couple of good videos:

Ray Lewis talking about his high school, college and early NFL days:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/media_library/Shows/2011/Ravens_Report/Episode_14_at_CIN/2011_Ravens_Report_Episode_14_Segment_1.aspx?id=bb618832c2aa473f973a375c0eebf8f6&i=134af1df6224483aa838d527aa27a1ba

And another good one:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Good to have a thread where I can hear what fellow Ravens fans think, might become a bit more active on this forum now :)

How does everyone think we'll against the Bengals? I have to say I'm a bit worried, don't think Lewis is still fully fit so our run defense has suffered in that regard. With Jerome Simpson playing (he missed the home game), we could be in trouble. Saying that, Suggs pass rush seems to be unstoppable this year and if we can hit Dalton early we might be able to force some turnovers. Hope Joe has a good game and, as always, if Rice gets the ball enough times we should do allright on Offense.

Cory Redding is very underrated and was missed against the Browns. Cleveland had a lot of success with Hillis just running straight up the middle.
    Redding should be back

Suggs is having a great season but he's quiet the odd game and the Bengals have two good tackles in Whitworth and Smith. Whitworth is top five in the AFC and Smith had a slow start to his career but is coming on. Jermaine Gresham the TE also so Bengals may double team Suggs like the Chargers did to great effect. Suggs won't be racking up the sacks this week.

I expect a huge game from Ngata and McPhee, power up the middle :cool:

Marvin Lewis and Mike Zimmer have always done well against the Ravens with their Cover Two scheme and I see Flacco throwing one interception
    The run game will depend a lot if Marshal Yanda at right guard plays. It's not confirmed yet

Won't be an easy game at all and if Ravens want that bye week they're going to have to earn it

Webb will shut down AJ Green but Jimmy Smith is incredibly raw and full of rookie mistakes and is getting picked on. Simpson may have a big game

Prediction:
    Ravens 24
    Bengals 14
    Going to a nervous, tight affair despite the scoreline

TD's for Rice, Ricky Williams and one for Denis Pitta the Tight End

Pitta is fast becoming a fan favourite :)

• Advertisement

Have any of you read the book 'Next Man Up'? I got it for Christmas and have to say it's excellent.

The author spent a year inside the Ravens and reports in detail on numerous things that go on during the season (2004). It also gives an insight on how Biscotti got ownership of the Ravens, Ozzie Newsomes role as General Manager, Brian Billick's role as manager, Ray and Jamal Lewis' troubled times with the law, etc.

Really, really interesting. I have to say the part I enjoyed most was when the author was describing how the draft went and the discussions between all involved including trying to trade up/down with other clubs, etc. Newsome is a class act when it comes to draft time.

It's available for a few euro second hand on Amazon, or new in hardback for around €20:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_10/279-3936970-5807113?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=next+man+up&x=0&y=0&sprefix=next+man+u

Have any of you read the book 'Next Man Up'? I got it for Christmas and have to say it's excellent.

Reason I became a Ravens fan ;)

First game I ever watched was Steelers and Cardinals superbowl
    Ordered a load of books of Amazon to learn more

I liked the book and there it began :)

You should read his other books
    One is called Civil War and about Navy and Army football. Way offtopic but he has an excellent book called Tales from Q School: Inside Golf's Fifth Major, the parts of golf nobody ever sees

Living on the Black: Two Pitchers, Two Teams, One Season to Remember, is another great book though I don't realy understand baseball

An author worth following

Not to turn this into a book thread but follow our fomer coach
    The Coaches show podcast on itunes
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-coaches-show/id464911682
    or read his book
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Than-Game-Glorious-Uncertain/dp/1439109184/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325372253&sr=1-1

Billick is a class act and welcome back to Baltimore anyday

Rex Ryan? Not so much, he's appreciated but not wanted back

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Reason I became a Ravens fan ;)

First game I ever watched was Steelers and Cardinals superbowl
    Ordered a load of books of Amazon to learn more

I liked the book and there it began :)

You should read his other books
    One is called Civil War and about Navy and Army football. Way offtopic but he has an excellent book called Tales from Q School: Inside Golf's Fifth Major, the parts of golf nobody ever sees

Living on the Black: Two Pitchers, Two Teams, One Season to Remember, is another great book though I don't realy understand baseball

An author worth following

Not to turn this into a book thread but follow our fomer coach
    The Coaches show podcast on itunes
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-coaches-show/id464911682
    or read his book
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Than-Game-Glorious-Uncertain/dp/1439109184/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325372253&sr=1-1

Billick is a class act and welcome back to Baltimore anyday

Rex Ryan? Not so much, he's appreciated but not wanted back

Nice one. I can see how the book would attract people to the club.

I'll definitely check out some of those books, Mike. The golf one has got a lot of great reviews. He does seem to be a very good and respected author. There's not many who'd be trusted with the access he's been given in numerous sports.

Billick does seem to be a class act. The way he went about his work as described in the book was great to read. I've read that he and Biscotti remain good friends to this day. Biscotti calls the decision to fire Billick as ''the toughest one he has ever had to make'', which says a lot considering how successful he has been in business. The amount of coaches that have previously worked for Billick that became head coaches in the NFL speaks for itself. Has there ever been much speculation about Billick getting back into the game or does he seem happy enough with his punditry work? Surely he still has a lot to offer some organisation.

He's still getting paid by the Ravens as far as I know. Or at least was up to recently
    He was sacked one year into a five year deal

Plus all his media work, it's not like he needs the money

Rumour is he'll be trying for the Miami job.
    Billick is as good as any other candidate out there, he'll be interviewing for it anyway

When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in — you carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose
    – Brian Billick, Superbowl winning coach XXXV :cool:

Just been watching the 2001 series of Hard Knocks. It's available to watch on Hulu if you download an American proxy such as Hot Spot Shield (which is very good, one click and it's on/off).

Tony Siragusa comes across as such a twat, IMO. While other veterans give the rookies a bit of stick etc from the other Hard Knocks I've seen, Siragusa just takes it to another level and has them feeling uncomfortable. I understand he was coming to the end of his career and really wasn't bothered at that stage, but compared to someone like Shannon Sharpe who couldn't do enough to help Heap, he didn't come across well ata ll.

Todd Heap was excellent during the training camp and was the talk of all the coaches and reporters there. His missus was nice too :pac:

I wonder what the players who were cut, the likes of Ortege Jenkins and Dwanye Missouri are up to these days?

Just been watching the 2001 series of Hard Knocks. It's available to watch on Hulu if you download an American proxy such as Hot Spot Shield (which is very good, one click and it's on/off).

Tony Siragusa comes across as such a twat, IMO. While other veterans give the rookies a bit of stick etc from the other Hard Knocks I've seen, Siragusa just takes it to another level and has them feeling uncomfortable. I understand he was coming to the end of his career and really wasn't bothered at that stage, but compared to someone like Shannon Sharpe who couldn't do enough to help Heap, he didn't come across well ata ll.

Todd Heap was excellent during the training camp and was the talk of all the coaches and reporters there. His missus was nice too :pac:

I wonder what the players who were cut, the likes of Ortege Jenkins and Dwanye Missouri are up to these days?

Thanks for that Pauly, I've seen a few of the Hard Knocks series but never the Ravens one... I'll make a start on it this afternoon, not a bad way to spend New Years Day! :)

Bills could be about to do the Ravens a huge favour in New England, 21-0 up at the moment!!

Anyone got a stream for the game? All the potential ones I've found seem to be waiting on Green Bay V Detroit to finish first :(

EDIT - Found one that's very jumpy but it will do for now:

http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/25265/1/nfl:baltimore-ravens-vs-cincinnati-bengals-live-stream-online.html

Superb 70 yard TD run from Rice, great start!

17-3 to the Ravens at the half, delighted so far despite my initial concerns about how this would go.

Great 70 yard run from Rice and a lovely throw and catch from Flacco to Pitta for the TD right at the end of the 2nd.

Crowd on their Bengals back now booing. Hopefully we keep this up.

Pitta is fast becoming a fan favourite :)

He sure is :)

• Advertisement

A very good night for us sealing the division which gives us a first round bye and home field advantage (very important when you compare our home and road record).

Judging by the players reaction they're delighted and the spirit within the camp seems great.

The playoff game will be at home on 15th of January against either Houston, Denver, or Pittsburgh. Houston would be the lowest remaining seed if they win so it would be great to get them rather than Pittsburgh.

Bring it on!

487088583.jpg?Expires=1325471866&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=oUwP4xFkdjuJU9JMStT1EYDElIk8Y0G~6Xc-PNaNcuWB1QW9X~aHCaZdmFXA9amPif3OjK6cPjoh9toyFNNdA2j9m1Mo2L-tgD-yznp4row0BpMfKbyjKbcrL3Lytq44hj1LXOM6rrFN12P2o47GuBS2sp2ZexuwMaUZVV8mQNk_

cc4a04b234de11e19896123138142014_7.jpg

Bad news for us, with 3 teams requesting permission to interview Eric DeCosta:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/05/three-teams-request-permission-to-interview-decosta/

Hopefully he'll decide to stay as he'll be taking over from Ozzie Newsome when he decides to go, with lots of talk that he'll take the AD spot at Alabama in the future.

DeCosta is going nowhere

His wife is from Maryland and he is settled with his young family. He is being paid like a GM too, Steve Bisciotti wants him locked up

He stated before the only team he would leave for was New England. He is originally from the area and it's his hometown team so it would be a dream for him.
    But unless Belichick retires there is no point going there now.

He'll take over from Newsome some day
    However that Alabama rumour has been going around for years. They were talking about it nearly a decade ago.
    And Ozzie never confirmed it

Maybe there is a hint of truth to it but it won't happen while Nick Saban is there and even still Ozzie is still young at fifty five, he could be around for years and years

Every offseason the journalists bring up Alabama and the Ravens organization just ignore it

We can add pics

Just posting as I like it

Hardworking staff clearing the stands

DeCosta is going nowhere

Thankfully, you were right. Newsome has come out and said DeCosta is staying, great news.

As for pictures, here's some I like:

Billick getting soaked at the end of the Super Bowl game

Todd Heap diving for the endzone

Ray Lewis

If any of you are interested, there's a season review to date on the Ravens website at the minute, here's the link:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/media_library/Videos/2012/01/How_The_Ravens_Got_Here_Playoff_Edition.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Good to see a Ravens thread. Just wondering how you all became Ravens fans? I went out with a girl from just outside Baltimore for two years, I am from Wexford but went over several times. Never got to see a game though! But have a couple of jerseys. Hoping to watch the Ravens in the Woolshed on Super bowl day!

Good to see a Ravens thread. Just wondering how you all became Ravens fans? I went out with a girl from just outside Baltimore for two years, I am from Wexford but went over several times. Never got to see a game though! But have a couple of jerseys. Hoping to watch the Ravens in the Woolshed on Super bowl day!

Basically, it's my first season watching the NFL so they were the team I picked.

I had a massive interest in the city of Baltimore from the TV series The Wire, and obviously then knew the Ravens were based there. I read a lot about their style, the organisation, players, and they interested me just like the city of Baltimore so I knew then that they were the team for me. Due to my big interest in Baltimore it's a place I had intended on visiting (and still do, haven't got around to it yet unfortunately) so would get to see them play etc. For all those reasons the Ravens were the team for me.

Was the girlfriend decent? :P

Hopefully we can get to the Super Bowl and win the thing, but I fear we'll be beaten by the Patriots in the Championship game after beating the Texans next weekend. Fingers crossed I'm wrong though!

Ozzie Newsome will be a happy man tonight with Alabama winning the national championship!

Derrick Mason is finished after 15 NFL seasons.

The wide receiver had a rough 2011 season, bouncing from the Jets to the Texans without making much impact in either place and finishing with just 19 catches for 170 yards. He was released by the Texans near the end of the season and Mason told Aaron Wilson of Scout.com that he isn’t going to try to extend his career as a player any further.

“I’m done,” Mason said. “I won’t be playing football. I only knew one play to play football, going all-out and having fun out there.”

Mason would like to move into broadcasting. Mason, who made two Pro Bowls, finishes with career totals of 943 catches, 12,061 yards and 66 touchdowns.

derrick-mason-pic-reuters-509467789.jpg

He'll be a superb broadcaster. He did a day with NFL Network last month and has done work with ESPN
    Not every ex-player is cut out for broadcasting but Mason is someone who can do it

As of right now the best WR the Ravens ever had.
    In time Boldin may take that title or even Torrey Smith but both have a way to go yet

Think I added this in another thread but this is the team thread, we'll add it again

What a fooking warrior :eek:
    Dislocate his shoulder three times and keep playing to end up leading receiver on the team

Yet more toughness

• Advertisement

Cheers for that post Mike, very good read and the videos are a great watch. What a beast Mason was, I don't know he kept going after dislocating his shoulder that many times. All the best to him in the future.

How do you all see the playoff game against the Texans going?

Advertisement