Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going a bit mad trying to pick an e-cigarette

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

video here showingn a dude filling a cartomiser

it's not difficult, although I guess the first few times can be confusing. It's a good idea to keep the cartomisers wet too, not flooded but damp. so after you've been vaping for a while, drop in a little juice. you'll get the feel for when it needs it quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tranceboy 2k

I think the banana are new stock, defo worth a try though. Funny though if I'm seen using it. Yeah sure I'll just pic something up in a shop so if I need it.
    And yeah free mints aint bad arite :D I'll be in Amsterdam in a couple of weeks, there's bound to be some cointainers over there lol.
    So are they normally clean and safe enough in a pocket, without bursting all over the place or leaking? yeah I'll get the 3tips just to pic and choose.
    And the fast delivery is great, especially since I'm dying to get these now :p thanks for the code too :)

Nice video too, I had a look at some of his others there. I'll defo subscribe to his channel anyway.

I just ordered them now anwyay. I'll let ye know when they come :)

pbusardo, igetcha69 and grimgreen are 3 of the best ecig reviewers on youtube. if you're curious about trying something new and want to get opinions chances are one of them has tried it.. failing that there's about five thousand other people with webcams who put videos up regularly enough too :)

cartomisers are pretty much leak proof in the pocket. they might leak a tiny bit just after filling if you've overfilled them, but all you have to do is wipe the battery end down with something and it wont leak again. the filler material soaks the juice up well.

the battery you're getting should ahve 5 click protection. so you click the power button down 5 times and it shuts itself off, so it wont power on if pressed down then 5 clicks again to turn it back on. can be handy if you're leaving it in your pocket or throwing it into a bag, although i've never bothered. I just left mine in my pocket and never caught on fire.

pbusardo, igetcha69 and grimgreen are 3 of the best ecig reviewers on youtube. if you're curious about trying something new and want to get opinions chances are one of them has tried it.. failing that there's about five thousand other people with webcams who put videos up regularly enough too :)

cartomisers are pretty much leak proof in the pocket. they might leak a tiny bit just after filling if you've overfilled them, but all you have to do is wipe the battery end down with something and it wont leak again. the filler material soaks the juice up well.

the battery you're getting should ahve 5 click protection. so you click the power button down 5 times and it shuts itself off, so it wont power on if pressed down then 5 clicks again to turn it back on. can be handy if you're leaving it in your pocket or throwing it into a bag, although i've never bothered. I just left mine in my pocket and never caught on fire.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at them :) yeah it seems to be pretty popular, I still can't understand how everyone I've asked say they never came across e-cigs??? They seem like the greatest thing ever like.

Oh right yeah cool and yeah the 5 click thing is very handy. Must get annoying at times though, I guess it's still easier than getting out a lighter every time :p what about using these in public, would ya feel out of place? Like in a smoking room, I bet there'd be some amount asking what's that??? I'm not gonna let it stop me though. Just think it will be a bit strange :p

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at them :) yeah it seems to be pretty popular, I still can't understand how everyone I've asked say they never came across e-cigs??? They seem like the greatest thing ever like.

Oh right yeah cool and yeah the 5 click thing is very handy. Must get annoying at times though, I guess it's still easier than getting out a lighter every time :p what about using these in public, would ya feel out of place? Like in a smoking room, I bet there'd be some amount asking what's that??? I'm not gonna let it stop me though. Just think it will be a bit strange :p

Cheers.

I do still get a few looks and questions when I am out and about vaping. I am sure some of my friends think I am just "odd". (Although they may have always thought that!)

Although, I had a new experience at the weekend.

Had my Riva out on a table when I was eating and the waiter was looking at it and asked what it was. I was just starting into my usual story of how it was an electronic cigarette, that produced vapour and delivered nicotine instead of through smoke and....

He just stopped me and said "I know that just wondering what brand it was" he then pulled out his own mini Jasper & Jasper ecig.

They are definitely starting to become more common but there is still a long way to go.

• Advertisement

I had a few chats with drunken people on paddys day while i was outside the pub vaping on a ego/boge 2ohm.
    I do remember when I first got my ecig i was very hesitant about vaping in public, I'd stick it in the sleeve of my jumper and try to sneakily vape in the smoking area or I'd stand away from other people while I was having a vape but after a while you just think **** it. I still cant bring myself to vape in the supermarket though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I had a few chats with drunken people on paddys day while i was outside the pub vaping on a ego/boge 2ohm.
    I do remember when I first got my ecig i was very hesitant about vaping in public, I'd stick it in the sleeve of my jumper and try to sneakily vape in the smoking area or I'd stand away from other people while I was having a vape but after a while you just think **** it. I still cant bring myself to vape in the supermarket though :)

I wouldnt vape in a supermarket but I vape in coffee shops and pubs, if someone, i.e. management, object then I'll never darken their door again, no I'l just stop.
    As they say easier to get forgiven than to get permission ;)

Still haven't worked up the courage openly vape in a pub or restaurant.
    Although I have started to discretely vape by double inhaling and slowly exhaling.

oh actually I forgot
    i was at a wedding in a four seasons in dublin ( a doctor and an architect getting married, where else) and towards the end of the night i was so drunk I just whipped out my ego and started vaping away during the desert course

not a word was said by anyone except people at my table ooh'ing and aah'ing over it. I think in general we're more paranoid than we oughta be, so long as we don't act like dicks like that idiot that got an airplane turned around on its way to america recently we should be fine.

@Tom123 yeah that was probably unexpected arite. Yeah it's defo a long way off before it's the thing. But maybe it come to a stage where people will be saying... Pst. Those guys over there actually smoke those REAL cigarettes :eek: :D

Yeah Digby I'm looking forward to that feeling all over again :p gonna feel pure awkward at the start, but I bet it's just one of those things that when you finally let go, your're like, Yeah why was this so hard??? But I think I'll be the same for the supermarket and even in the regular part of a pub, I'm sure it would attract a lot of attention and some serious misunderstandings :pac:

Yeah Tommy I guess it's worth a try, but defo not worth the hassle. I don't want to get toooo comfortable anyway and be vaping every breath I take :p Is it bad or what? I mean I can imagine vaping vaping and vaping and next thing, bang no vape :eek: Fags fags fags :(

Lol yeah a wedding was a dodgy place for that I'd say, but yeah I defo don't wanna be running around pubs like HAHA LOOK AT ME. I'M SMOKING :p The police station, now that would be too cheeky altogether.

• Advertisement

Got them now, so easy to set up :) I was a bit confused at the start though, I was trying to take a pull but nothing was happening. Got it now though, I just press the button and take a drag.

OK but do I start taking a drag the instant I press the button or should I wait a second or so for it to fill up a bit? I know it's all about personal choice and experience. But what do you guys do? lol I know it's a crazy question.

I started with the Winsten/Wensten. First drag I took tasted awful, I nearly got sick :o But I'm getting used to it and it's getting quite nice now. I know it doesn't taste exactly like the real thing, but I must say it seems to be a bit close. Later on after a good few smokes I'm probably going to taste one of my last ever 3 cigs :cool: just to compare. Hopefully it will be horrible :p

What about changing juice. I'm pretty sure if I want to start with a new taste I should get a brand new cartomizer and start with that rather than adding a different flavour like banana to my dried out Winsten?
    If I decide to leave this Winsten filled cart here and open a new one for banana or whatever, will the Winsten have dried out and become unusable on it's own? So basically is it perfectly OK to simply have 5 prefilled/labelled carto's ready for use at any time?

Oh and does the light turn green or something once it's charged, I'm using one right now and I think it's over 50% but I put the other in to charge and the light on the charger is red. Should I have used this straight out of the box? I was very impatient lol

Cheers.

Good to hear your off to a good start.
    If you want to change flavor or just have another one with you just put the plastic condom things back on the carto and store for later, do fill before storing tho, they dont benifit from being left dry.
    Light will turn green when fully charged, about 4 hours from empty.
    Give the vaping a day and see how the fags taste. Give it a month and you wonder how you put up with the smoke in your tobacco.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Got them now, so easy to set up :) I was a bit confused at the start though, I was trying to take a pull but nothing was happening. Got it now though, I just press the button and take a drag.

OK but do I start taking a drag the instant I press the button or should I wait a second or so for it to fill up a bit?
    I know it's all about personal choice and experience. But what do you guys do? lol I know it's a crazy question.
    I do both, to be honest I haven't really noticed much difference either way. If I've overfilled the carto slightly (when you get that gurgling when you take a drag), I find holding the button for a second or two before taking a drag helps clear it slightly, but there's not much difference either way.
    Later on after a good few smokes I'm probably going to taste one of my last ever 3 cigs :cool: just to compare. Hopefully it will be horrible :p
    I tried one over the weekend out of curiosity, it was disgusting and I've no interest in having them any more :)
    What about changing juice. I'm pretty sure if I want to start with a new taste I should get a brand new cartomizer and start with that rather than adding a different flavour like banana to my dried out Winsten?
    If I decide to leave this Winsten filled cart here and open a new one for banana or whatever, will the Winsten have dried out and become unusable on it's own? So basically is it perfectly OK to simply have 5 prefilled/labelled carto's ready for use at any time?
    That's what I did for a while and it seemed fine to me. The only problem is that it's easy to loose track of what juice is in what carto, but if you're disciplined and label them it should work fine. I tend to hang on to rubber condoms from them so if I'm putting one aside for a while I'll put those back on to stop them drying out, I don't know if that does anything useful or not though.

A better option than using up cartos to try flavours though would be to get an atomiser for dripping. This will let you drip in a few drops of a flavour at a time. They're not great when you're out and about because you have to keep topping them up every few drags, but they're great for trying different flavours at home.
    Oh and does the light turn green or something once it's charged, I'm using one right now and I think it's over 50% but I put the other in to charge and the light on the charger is red. Should I have used this straight out of the box? I was very impatient lol
    The eGo batteries come part charged I think, and they're fine to use out of the box. And yes the light should go solid green when it's fully charged.

I must be the only person who just used the 1 carto for every juice :)

from TBS - liqua berry mix/citrus mix/cigar/french pipe 10ml's

irishvapers - cliodhna/culann/setanta white label

alba vapours - swedish fish/raspberrymallow/gummybears (juice and some flavouring)/black cherry 10ml's

vulcan vape - 20ml each bobas bounty and gorilla juice.

Going by our last order you will have quite a cocktail in a few weeks time :)

No your not ;) I used to suck em near dry and then fill again with another flavor, after a few drags the new one kicks in. Not menthol, that has a half life of years.

I did that once or twice, but I tend to top up cartos so often that whenever I wanted a new flavour they'd all be pretty full so I'd have to go with a new one. Dripping attys have been a godsend in that regard.

Oh, and I've vaped in a hotel at a family do, everyone was very interested and many (even non-smokers) gave it a go, and at a work do in a pub, and again everyone wanted a go, which must look really dodgy having a group of people pass it around for a few drags each :) I get the occasional stare if I'm vaping walking down the street, it's funny when people cop what you are doing as they walk past and their head swivels for a good stare, one guy walked into a lamppost :)

lol

id be half tempted to take the lavatube out into town to see what kinda reactions that would get

Thanks Tommy yeah it's defo a grand start, and it's tasting pretty much as I expected too so that's cool :) OK yeah that's what I'm doing now anyway. The banana
    and vanilla are tasting fantastic... Can't make out what's better though, I think I'm going to be better off with the flavours that are not trying to replicate
    the real thing. Yeah I can believe that anyway, I'm not even really in the mood for a fag, I'd say it will be horrible arite after a while. And yeah both batteries
    are charged now.

Steve does that gurgling sound always come? Is it the burning kind of sound your're refering to? It's pretty straight forward now anyway, even a 2 second drag from
    the second I press it is working out pretty nice. A nice small amount is nicer anyway, no need to go mad with it. yeah I labelled them, but it's only cheap sticky
    paper, I'll have to pick up something a little better. yeah I'll probably get an atomizer at some stage for that, but if I get something that ain't too nice I'll
    still use it up, it can't be that bad anyway.

I think I'll give a cocktail a try some time, why not like. And there are some nice looking flavours there. And a lavatube, I'll have to have a look at that too.

How do I know when I should be topping them up a bit? Do I wait until I simply get bad drags or is that too late? Should I just top it up every 2 days? And how do
    they die completely anyway, does the tissue kinda stuff inside just start breaking apart or contract or something? I think one of you said it simply gets too
    messy, is that just it yeah?

(EDIT) Sorry about the mess, wrote this out in notepad and pasted it, probably a bunch of spelling mistakes too :p

• Advertisement

Oh and do I fill the Dual Coils the exact same way as the 510 XL LR's? Condom method.

if it's gurgling a bit youve probably put too much juice in, it's supposed to kinda sizzle when you press the button.. if it doesn't or if the sizzle is really quiet, it might be a dud carto

you should always try to keep the carto kinda wet. you can just vape it until it's dry, but that's not good for the life of the carto so a couple of drops every couple of hours is probably best.. just enough to keep it damp

over time the performance and flavour can just degrade so youll know it's time to bin it. if it doesnt bother you, then don't bin it and keep using it until it either stops working completely or you start getting a kind of burnt taste in the background.

Oh and do I fill the Dual Coils the exact same way as the 510 XL LR's? Condom method.

yep although dual coils will probabky take a minimum of 2 fills using the condom, since they hold so much more juice

There's two similar but slightly different noises, if you overfill it slightly it will gurgle when you draw on it, it's just the noise made by the air you are sucking bubbling through the liquid, you should be able to feel as well as hear it when it happens. Then like Sir Digby says there's sizzling and popping, which is just the atomiser vapourising the liquid, you'll be able to hear this when you press the firing button whether you are drawing on it or not.

Oh no that's fine, it's just a sizzle and it's defo pretty strong. Oh right yeah no probs, I'll keep topping it up so. Yeah sure I guess it wont be a hard thing to get used to, but as you said before, it's only 2 euro a piece, so there's not much need to be scraping every last bit of life out of it. Cool yeah they are a lotbigger arite. Only problem so far is, the Derlin tip wont fit on, not easily anyway. But I ain't gonna worry about it, all is good :)

If it's just sizzle and no popping you might not have quite enough juice in it, I think that they pop more when they're really soaked, and that's when I find that they vape best too. But then again I always overfill the things trying to keep them as wet as possible, so that's a downside too :)

Yeah Steve I am getting some pops when I do it, I just filled the first Dual Coil now a bit too much, and there was even a puddle on the burner lol and I got nothing from it, I blew into it to clear some out, is that the best or even the only way yeah? I got the second 1 a bit better. Just need to get used to the amount, I think about two 3/4 of the small condoms should be enough the next time round.
    I got the smaller 510's perfect, and there's a whole load of vape from them. Do some juices give off more vape? Or is it all luck, based on how it's filled?

Another question about duds. What would make it a dud? I mean, what would be missing, since it's just that tissue inside? Oh and the most important of all, is this perfectly healthy? I know people say nicotine is bad as it'a addictive and changes your mood or whatever, but is there any physical health issues with them? Is it OK to just vape on whenever and how long you feel like? For the last 25 mins I've been at it every 2-3 mins, only about 2-3 puffs at a time. Just need to make sure I don't over do anything :D

I'm also caring less and less about that test smoke later on :p These are really doing the trick :)

a dud carto will either just not work at all, or it will give sub-par performance.. either too hard to draw on, sod all vapour/flavour.. it doesnt have much to do with the filler

yeah some juices produce more vapour than others, some have more throat hit, some are more flavourful than others.. some juices are perfect for one person while another thinks they're absolutely vile.

no one knows if it's healthy, it just has to be healthier than cigarettes :) youll know when you've overdone it as you'll get jittery, maybe a headache.. just general symptoms of too much nicotine. dont vape for a while and youll feel better.

• Advertisement

a dud carto will either just not work at all, or it will give sub-par performance.. either too hard to draw on, sod all vapour/flavour.. it doesnt have much to do with the filler

yeah some juices produce more vapour than others, some have more throat hit, some are more flavourful than others.. some juices are perfect for one person while another thinks they're absolutely vile.

no one knows if it's healthy, it just has to be healthier than cigarettes :) youll know when you've overdone it as you'll get jittery, maybe a headache.. just general symptoms of too much nicotine. dont vape for a while and youll feel better.

Oh right yeah maybe I did get 1 dud so, because I was getting F all out of the 1 that I filled too much, maybe I just didn't clear it out enough.

Oh right yeah cool.

Yeah I did a bit of reading there myself and they said there are some toxic chemicals, but even if it is some bit bad, I doubt it's got even half of the s***** the real ones have. Yeah I did get a little jittery arite there. I'm sure I'll ease of after a few days anyway.

Thanks for all the help anyway, probably the best forum I ever go to. And the fact that it's an Irish forum makes it even better. What better place for info like...

Advertisement