Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Indo supporting animal cruelty

Options
  • 28-12-2011 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭

What a shameful article in the Indo supporting vile people terrorising an innocent animal.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/stephens-day-hunts-get-bang-for-their-bark-on-perfect-day-2973455.html
    Stephen's Day hunts get bang for their bark on perfect day

By Louise Roseingrave and Eimear Ni Bhraonain

Tuesday December 27 2011

BALMY weather provided the perfect conditions for St Stephen's day hunting.

In Abbeyleix, there was the largest participation in the annual hunt with around 120 riders.

David Lalor, who took part with his 21-year-old daughter, Jessica, described it as a "beautiful day".

"There was lots of jumping," he said.

The hunt started in the square in Abbeyleix before moving in the Carlow direction through lands at Ballymullen.

Thousands turned up to see the riders and horses as they set off -- and followed their journey along the way.

A ceremonial stirrup cup marked the start point of the St Stephen's Day South Union Hunt Meet at Carrigaline in Cork, where the ground was soft.

Riders supped the traditional hot toddy before moving off towards Castlelands and Riverstick, seeking to draw the fox out.

Some 25 hounds accompanied the spectacle but catching the fox is an exceptional outcome, as huntmaster Pat Maher pointed out.

"The fox is incredibly elusive, you don't always catch him, he has the knack of getting away," he said.

Mr Maher led up to 100 riders on the hunt that boasts a 200-year history, following in the tradition set by avid rider Thomas Knowles, who hunted "seven days a week", according to Mr Maher.

Horses were transported from up to 60 miles away to take part in yesterday's event.

- Louise Roseingrave and Eimear Ni Bhraonain

Not much about how the fox experiences this bit of "craic" or what happened to him/her in the end.

And what sort of scum come out to cheer these animal haters on? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

It was a great day out but was a shame the little blighter got away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm sure they treat their horses well...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

We should follow Englands lead and ban fox hunting with hounds. It's really quite a barbaric 'sport'.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What a shameful article in the Indo supporting vile people terrorising an innocent animal.

Not much about how the fox experiences this bit of "craic" or what happened to him/her in the end.

And what sort of scum come out to cheer these animal haters on? :confused:

I heard the fox was a mean drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

As Oscar Wilde aptly put it, fox hunting is "The unspeakable in hot pursuit of the uneatable".:):)

The worst kind of scumbags putting on snobby airs.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

we kill millions of cows, sheep & pigs every year

What's 1 fox ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Stiffler2 wrote: »

What's 1 fox ?

Foxes are vermin and would probably be killed anyway. At least this way he gets a chance of getting away and getting some bragging rights for when he's looking for mrs fox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

The Indo is a rag but i don;t see your issue with them here.

They simply reported on a hunt. They give no opinion of it either way. This is a pretty neutral report on a quiet news day.

I don't see how stating that something happened makes them a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd love to go and support a hunt.

I believe they're great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ah but sure its tradition, ya cant mess with tradition...its tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

shir its only one fox - fluck it shir why dont we up the game and have it hobo hunting - shir its only 1 hobo .

its cruel it barbaric and it is a throw back to times when people had no clue .

i hoped we as a species would eventually outgrow this kind of crap but barbarism wins out.

foxes are vermin - then what the hell are we ? we kill for fun - (dont give the crap about protecting the farmers and their chickens) .

sick sport ,sick people.

said it from the start if you are the kind of person that can sadistically hurt an animal (and lets be fair this is as sadistic as you can get) then you have serious issues and are a potential psycho . should get that checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The Indo is a rag but i don;t see your issue with them here.

They simply reported on a hunt. They give no opinion of it either way. This is a pretty neutral report on a quiet news day.

I don't see how stating that something happened makes them a disgrace.

If you think that is neutral reporting, you must be judging it by the standards of Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Foxes are not vermin and were never classed as such. I don't know where people get that from. Foxes control vermin like rabbits and rats.

I don't think the reporter is supporting anything. He is just reporting what happened on the day.

I don't agree with hunting with hounds but if it stopped tomorrow then all of those hounds would be PTS. There wouldn't be a hope of re homing them. Our shelters are packed to capacity as it is.

Its a lose lose situation really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you think that is neutral reporting, you must be judging it by the standards of Fox.

All it says is the weather conditions, roughly how many participated and implied a large amount of spectators, with some comments from people who were there.

That's fairly neutral. Unless it's got some under tones to it, which I'm completely missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Stiffler2 wrote: »

What's 1 fox ?

We eat them. When have you had fox?

I don't know why they don't use human quarry for these hunts. It'd be much more fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I find it surprising that that article took two people to write.

All in all, not surprising from the Irish Independent, a tabloid masquerading as a broadsheet if I ever saw one.

Misleading title..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

If you think this can be compared to Fox then you have never watched Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Irishchick wrote: »
    Foxes are not vermin and were never classed as such. I don't know where people get that from. Foxes control vermin like rabbits and rats.

I don't think the reporter is supporting anything. He is just reporting what happened on the day.

I don't agree with hunting with hounds but if it stopped tomorrow then all of those hounds would be PTS. There wouldn't be a hope of re homing them. Our shelters are packed to capacity as it is.

Its a lose lose situation really.

They also control the rooster and a few hens when they feel the need. Cute hoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

It doesn't matter what they aren't or are classed as. Being chased and torn apart by a bunch of angry blood hounds is not a fitting end for any animal.

Sure we kill cows and pigs etc but in a humane manner and the animal is dead before it knows it. Put yourself in the foxes position and ask would you like it ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    As Oscar Wilde aptly put it, fox hunting is "The unspeakable in hot pursuit of the uneatable".:):)

The worst kind of scumbags putting on snobby airs.:rolleyes:

The majority of people that follow the hunt are a pack of stuffed shirt knobs.

I've no time for their argument in relation to pest control either, its a load of bollocks. Unneccessary cruelty IMHO.

Drag hunting should be introduced or some more animal friendly version. Its a bit of an industry in the west where i am from and it would be a shame to see it totally wiped out. There are some people who make their livelihood from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Irishchick wrote: »
    Foxes are not vermin and were never classed as such.

ANd who told ya that one..?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Did the Indo organise the hunt, or merely report on the event?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

galwayrush wrote: »
    Did the Indo organise the hunt, or merely report on the event?:rolleyes:

My sources tell me that they organised the whole event with their faces smeared with the blood of fox cubs while ritualistically masturbating on the corpses of decomposing baby seals.

True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

My sources tell me that they organised the whole event with their faces smeared with the blood of fox cubs while ritualistically masturbating on the corpses of decomposing baby seals.

True story.

Tha bastards....:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I thought this was about Leopardstown. 3 horses dead in 2 days. Jumps racing should be done away with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SisterAnn

Dear right-on, vegetarian, liberal lefty Citydwellers,

If we country folk ever become absolutely clueless and need to resort to someone else to tell us what to do and how to live our lives, we promise to to give you first option. Until then, we'll thank you to leave us be.

Kind regards,
    Your country cousins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

we will leave you be when you stop terrorising foxes and leave them be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SisterAnn

Did God grant you this right or something? I'm genuinely curious where the source of all this patronising is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Pherekydes wrote: »
    We eat them.

Hah, I love the irony.

Advertisement