Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Indo supporting animal cruelty

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

John_Rambo wrote: »
    So Farmers Against Fox hunting learn about animals from Disney films?

Are you that confident in your low opinions of other people that simply don't agree with you that you know how they learnt about animals? You can say for definite that everyone here that disagrees with you gained all their knowledge through watching Disney movies?

Or, are you just using emotive language to get a rise out of people?

Best not to feed the trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SisterAnn

Discodog wrote: »
    I wondered when the "V" word would appear :rolleyes:

Yet more arrogant belittling of anyone who disagrees with hunting. I have lived in the Countryside all my life & worked on farms. The nature of the Fox is to feed itself. The nature of man is to leave tempting food that is easily accessible. I have kept Ducks, Geese & Chickens & I have never lost one to a Fox.

Fox Hunting is going against nature. The Fox has no natural predator so man has decided to become an animal & predate on Foxes. But unlike in nature we are killing for pleasure & not out of a necessity for food.

Yes the V word as you put it has been there for a while now but it is a long thread I suppose.

The above wasn't an effort to convince anybody that the fox is not vermin was it? Though taking you at your word, I'm happy for your particular experience with raising fowl. I can assure you it is not most people's sadly. If it was only that easy.

I'm not in the business of belittling people, but if in refuting misplaced opinions about country ways I come across as arrogant, then I might have to conclude that I'm on a 'hiding to nothing' in trying to take the sly fox down from its cute pedestal.
    So you could enjoy a drag hunt just as much !

I have this bizarre image of a Nun riding with the Hunt !

Yes drag hunting has the buzz but then foxes have to be kept in check. A canine-headed John Travolta with a cuddly vermin protest placard is equally funny - but hey this is Boards.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    So Farmers Against Fox hunting learn about animals from Disney films?

Are you that confident in your low opinions of other people that simply don't agree with you that you know how they learnt about animals? You can say for definite that everyone here that disagrees with you gained all their knowledge through watching Disney movies?

Or, are you just using emotive language to get a rise out of people?

What I know is that people on here are naively claiming that all animals are due the same treatment regardless of their relationship with peoples' livelhoods in the countryside. I am simply offering elucidation on this.
    I want to debate on facts not emotion.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Best not to feed the trolls.

A troll is not a person debating the opposite of your take on an issue. Want to instead put forward a decent reason for not hunting vermin on the land?

SisterAnn wrote: »
    What I know is that people on here are naively claiming that all animals are due the same treatment regardless of their relationship with peoples' livelhoods in the countryside. I am simply offering elucidation on this.

I don't think you know what facts are

I don't think you know what facts are

OK. Go on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

KTRIC wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what they aren't or are classed as. Being chased and torn apart by a bunch of angry blood hounds is not a fitting end for any animal.

Sure we kill cows and pigs etc but in a humane manner and the animal is dead before it knows it. Put yourself in the foxes position and ask would you like it ??

I was watching National Geographic the other night and this bunch of lousy Lions attacked an innocent Zebra and ripped it apart. It's not right. It shouldn't happen to an animal.

Have you ever seen a slaughter house? Have you seen battery farms for chickens? They are not humane.

OK. Go on.

What do you mean go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    we kill millions of cows, sheep & pigs every year

What's 1 fox ?

We eat those animals.

These people hunt down a single fox in large packs, with groups of dogs that will rip the animal to shreds if they catch it.

Very civilized aren't they.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    We eat those animals.

These people hunt down a single fox in large packs, with groups of dogs that will rip the animal to shreds if they catch it.

Whilst I agree with the general gist of your post, I don't see what's exactly civilized about eating animals

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Whilst I agree with the general gist of your post, I don't see what's exactly civilized about eating animals

It's our nature. Humans eat meat, and have done so for hundreds of thousands of years. Our teeth have even changed to deal with it over time.

We also use the wool of the sheep, milk from the cows and so on. They provide an actual use to human beings when they are killed.

Fox hunting is done for the sake of barbarity and 'sport'.

• Advertisement

What do you mean go on?
    Go on and tell me exactly why you think I don't know the facts. Flying in and out to chide someone for not knowing the facts without any explanation may appear to some as trolling, ironically one of your earlier accusations.

It's our nature. Humans eat meat, and have done so for hundreds of thousands of years. Our teeth have even changed to deal with it over time.

We also use the wool of the sheep, milk from the cows and so on. They provide an actual use to human beings when they are killed.

Fair point, whilst I disagree with and do don't practice either I can see where you are coming from

Go on and tell me exactly why you think I don't know the facts. Flying in and out to chide someone for not knowing the facts without any explanation may appear to some as trolling, ironically one of your earlier accusations.

Well earlier on you claimed that those who disagreed with you learned all their knowledge about animals from Disney movies

No quotes needed - it is sport. Not for city people maybe but I don't care what football or basketball they play.

It has the added benefit of helping to control vermin on the land. The British legislators made a mistake, but I am happy to see no threat to our tradition here in Ireland. The only electoral threat was sent buried six feet under when the Green Party vote imploded. Good riddance to those types. Hunting of foxes will be done winter after winter across this land for many's a year yet. If some aren't cool with that I can only advise that they accept the things they cannot change.

No quotes needed - it is sport. Not for city people maybe but I don't care what football or basketball they play.

It has the added benefit of helping to control vermin on the land. The British legislators made a mistake, but I am happy to see no threat to our tradition here in Ireland. The only electoral threat was sent buried six feet under when the Green Party vote imploded. Good riddance to those types. Hunting of foxes will be done winter after winter across this land for many's a year yet. If some aren't cool with that I can only advise that they accept the things they cannot change.

I firmly believe that only the mentally ill could consider the brutal slaughter of innocent animals to be sport. Again, you insist on dragging this thread into a countryside vs urban debate, which you apparently cannot seem to understand is not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

We eat those animals.

you forget the fact that they trespass on farmers land never tend to close gates and generally cause a pain in the are to farmers they claim to be helping :rolleyes:. From years of working on farms I've seen that the best way to deal with foxes is to do what discodog said and give them an easier source of food. if a fox gets problematic its usually killed by the farmer not left for a month or two for the aristocrats to "deal" with the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Exactly. I have no problem with a farmed protecting his livestock but claiming that a load of fat inbreds on horses is a form of pest control is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Why are you using emotive and provocative language, accusing people of learning about nature through Disney films? Are you doing this to gain support for the anti-hunt movement by being purposefully annoying?

Are you a troll?

Are you just a bad representative?

Are you an anti-hunt person pretending to be an obnoxious, I'll informed hunt supporter?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭joela

[/LIST]
    So you say the Hunt rarely kills foxes & the Hunts say that they are essential to control fox numbers :rolleyes:

By the way there are plenty of examples of hunt members & supporters being violent towards protesters. It isn't a one way street.

I never claimed that hunting was "essential" to control fox numbers but it is a method of controlling the fox population. I actually think it is a lazy arguement to claim the primary reason for hunting is that it is essential for controlling the fox population.

I also never said that all hunt members were exemplary human beings but my point was that hunt members certainly don't claim to be peaceful and non-violent while scaring small children and maiming other animals.

What I think is hilarious is I have close friends who have worked in Compassion in World Farming, have been Hunt Sabs, are dedicated vegans and activists and yet we are all still friends. They disagree with my stance and I with theirs but we agree to disagree and respect the others right to their opinions. It is like politics or religion really you pick your moments to discuss these subjects. Everyone has opinions that others don't agree with but that doesn't mean you label them as barbaric, of low intelligence, townies, snobs, crazies etc. You cannot force people to believe as you do and let it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Exactly. I have no problem with a farmed protecting his livestock but claiming that a load of fat inbreds on horses is a form of pest control is laughable.
    Hunting foxes can be hard, what if they don't have the means? Would they be able to hire some people that have experience with hunting foxes and would have the necessary supplies to do the job? Maybe a few horses and dogs?

• Advertisement

I firmly believe that only the mentally ill could consider the brutal slaughter of innocent animals to be sport. Again, you insist on dragging this thread into a countryside vs urban debate, which you apparently cannot seem to understand is not the case.

God almighty what kind of a comment is that, people suffering mental illness would not thank you for such a trite and ignorant comment.

Brutal slaughter, tiny bit ott perhaps? Raping, maiming and murdering women in Somalia is slaughter, mass genocide is brutal slaughter, wars are brutal slaughter, violent murders on our streets is brutal slaughter but fox hunting no, fox hunting I can accept may appear cruel to you but brutal slaughter no.

NTMK wrote: »
    you forget the fact that they trespass on farmers land never tend to close gates and generally cause a pain in the are to farmers they claim to be helping :rolleyes:. From years of working on farms I've seen that the best way to deal with foxes is to do what discodog said and give them an easier source of food. if a fox gets problematic its usually killed by the farmer not left for a month or two for the aristocrats to "deal" with the problem.

Then that hunt in question is behaving very badly but the majority of hunts look after the landowners very well and I have seen this firsthand as my father spent a lot of time out meeting landowners and getting permission to cross land. Also they had crews to go back and mend or put up new fences and if they upset someone inadvertantly they would also spend time trying to put it right. These were 2 separate hunts in Cork, and hunts in the Midlands and also Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What about angling?

Generalisation much? My family are farmers for generations, we are neither fat nor inbred and the same can be said for many of the farmers children who I grew up hunting and going to pony club with. I do not have a plummy accent and was certainly not privileged unless you consider milking cows and shovelling sh1t as privileged?

I no longer hunt because I cannot afford it, I live in a city and I don't want to but I still believe others should have the choice if they so wish as I do not think the chase or killing as cruel. Hard for you to understand perhaps but please refrain from assuming people who do not agree with you are all ignorant and barbaric, we just have different views on the subject.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    What about angling?

Wow, nice can of worms you opened up there :P

What about angling?

Yep that too

joela wrote: »
    God almighty what kind of a comment is that, people suffering mental illness would not thank you for such a trite and ignorant comment.

Brutal slaughter, tiny bit ott perhaps? Raping, maiming and murdering women in Somalia is slaughter, mass genocide is brutal slaughter, wars are brutal slaughter, violent murders on our streets is brutal slaughter but fox hunting no, fox hunting I can accept may appear cruel to you but brutal slaughter no.

Fox hunting is brutal slaughter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Yep that too

Just a quick check of figures, 6.1 million people in England are mentally ill in that case.

Just a quick check of figures, 6.1 million people in England are mentally ill in that case.

I've been saying it all along!:p

• Advertisement

Fox hunting is brutal slaughter

No it is NOT and you make light of the abuses and brutalities in the world by comparing it to a brutal slaughter.

Advertisement