Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rebel music

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

In my experience rebel music is mainly listened to by armchair republicans who'd jump out of their skin at the sound of a starling's fart.

Popular music that we hear on our tax paid stations like 2fm are listened to by fannies in my opinion. What's your point?

chin_grin wrote: »
    I think it's the "you needed to be there" factor. Especially with this genre. It doesn't do anything for me as I dislike Irish music. But sure I don't really judge anyone who likes it...............despite my sarcasm.

I've no problem with you or anyone disliking it. I just get the impression that it's fashionable to dislike the rebel music. It seems any sort of republicanism is frowned upon in Ireland, even music looking back to where we got our freedom. Tbh I find it a little bit odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Some great songs. Nothing beats a night in the pub with some trad and the locals singing along.

My favourite:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Irish rebel songs are uniquely ours. Just because some people might find the recent republican campaigns distasteful it doesn't mean the whole genre should be written off. Most of the songs centre around the campaigns of 1798 and 1916, so are not just about events in the North.

The likes of the Wolfe Tones have some good trad stuff mixed in there as well. Give me them over the bland americanised rubbish we hear on 2FM or Today FM anyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Irish rebel songs are uniquely ours. Just because some people might find the recent republican campaigns distasteful it doesn't mean the whole genre should be written off. Most of the songs centre around the campaigns of 1798 and 1916, so are not just about events in the North.

The likes of the Wolfe Tones have some good trad stuff mixed in there as well. Give me them over the bland americanised rubbish we hear on 2FM or Today FM anyday

This use of inclusive language irks me for events you had nothing to do with. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Moving Hearts had some good stuff. ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Stiff Little Fingers is as far as I'ld go and that was back in my punk rocker days...

I'ld second to that stuff being fairly awful...

This use of inclusive language irks me for events you had nothing to do with. :pac:

The songs are about the history of Ireland. Doesn't matter if I fought in the GPO or not. We all live in this present state because of what happened then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The songs are about the history of Ireland. Doesn't matter if I fought in the GPO or not. We all live in this present state because of what happened then

No. They're one sided stories of the history of Ireland. :p

So these songs don't really apply to me now. Yeah, that sounds a bit cold but feck it.

No. They're one sided stories of the history of Ireland. :p

So these songs don't really apply to me now. Yeah, that sounds a bit cold but feck it.

Yes, they are one-sided. But most non-colonialists in Ireland won't have a problem with that.

Fair enough you might not identify with the songs but you cannot deny they are relevant to Irish history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

"The Queen of Tara, she was me bitch,
    I rode her back and sideways.
    Up the bum and in the gab
    and up the Glenamaddy.

Yada dum dum dum
    dee da da da
    da dum dum dum
    ya da da

Yada dum dum dum
    de de de dee
    ya dum dum
    de de da da"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

nothing like rebel music but of course its not musch loved by the jackeens who if it was left to them we would still be under british rule and that is a simple fact.

and up the Glenamaddy.

Yada dum dum dum
    dee da da da
    da dum dum dum
    ya da da

Yada dum dum dum
    de de de dee
    ya dum dum
    de de da da"

Poor attempt tbh.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Poor attempt tbh.

Well at least I made an attempt....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Well at least I made an attempt....
    I liked it. Killer pigeon for eurovision

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Hard to beat 'the boys of the old brigade' being belted out.
    Especially in Bairds in Glasgow. Or several more pubs there.
    Suppose we will give it a lash in Poland in June!

finbarrk wrote: »
    Hard to beat 'the boys of the old brigade' being belted out.
    Especially in Bairds in Glasgow. Or several more pubs there.
    Suppose we will give it a lash in Poland in June!

What patriotic tune does this verse ring too sir?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

and up the Glenamaddy.

Yada dum dum dum
    dee da da da
    da dum dum dum
    ya da da

Yada dum dum dum
    de de de dee
    ya dum dum
    de de da da"

There is so many things wrong with this post.

There is so many things wrong with this post.

Well if there's something wrong with it, improve it!!!!

Well if there's something wrong with it, improve it!!!!

Well I suck at music and poetry and the history behind it is just all too far wrong to be improved.

Medb, who I presume you meant by queen of tara would have been nobodys bitch quite the opposite you (ye/anyone) would have been hers. She may have been the godess medb too, but either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 lowlife

I was born in London of Irish parents. I now live in Sligo and have lived on and off in Ireland for years.

I play traditional music but, it seems, my accent isn't right with some people. I have been called a 'Black and Tan', 'Plastic Paddy', 'Blow-in' etc. A few weeks ago, after I had been playing Trad. music non-stop for 2 hours, a guy came up to me and said 'This country is all ours now you know'. I have also been targetted by the Gardai once or twice. I don't need an education in Irish history. FFS it didn't all happen last week did it?

PS. All the people I mentioned were drunk at the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I love folk music, but I just can't get behind any Irish rebel music because the sentiment in it always pisses me off.

There's something really arrogant and vainglorious about the Wolfe Tones and that whole brand of twee, incendiary style of music that renders it unattractive, despite whatever musical or lyrical merit it might have in itself.

The only exception is music which can be self deprecating, or real in a sense that it doesn't idealize the Irish despite its deservedly low opinion of the English.

A great example is Monto, which is mocking of the English as well as presenting an image of Dublin and of Ireland which is neither particularly complimentary or idealistic

Fantastic song, but I hope you do not think that is "rebel" music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Well that's debatable.

It strikes a nationalist tone with:

The dirty Duke of Gloucester,
    The dirty old impostor

and expands on this with historical reference to the final visit of Queen Victoria to Ireland and the controversial 'Patriotic Children's Treat'. Cynicism is also expressed at the British interest in Irish canon fodder.

You see the Dublin Fusiliers,
    The dirty old bamboozlers,
    They went and got the childer, one, two, three.
    Marching from the Linen Hall
    There's one for every cannonball,
    And Vicky's going to send them all o'er the sea.

The song ends with the Lord Mayor of Dublin asking the Queen, through Irish, to kiss his ass.

The line between rebel music and protest music is a reasonably thin one, and the terms are often used interchangeably in an Irish context. Monto is a rebel song not only in that context, but also in terms of its disaffection for British traits and for British authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

later10 wrote: »
    Well that's debatable.

It strikes a nationalist tone with:

The dirty Duke of Gloucester,
    The dirty old impostor

and expands on this with historical reference to the final visit of Queen Victoria to Ireland and the controversial 'Patriotic Children's Treat'. Cynicism is also expressed at the British interest in Irish canon fodder.

You see the Dublin Fusiliers,
    The dirty old bamboozlers,
    They went and got the childer, one, two, three.
    Marching from the Linen Hall
    There's one for every cannonball,
    And Vicky's going to send them all o'er the sea.

The song ends with the Lord Mayor of Dublin asking the Queen, through Irish, to kiss his ass.

The line between rebel music and protest music is a reasonably thin one, and the terms are often used interchangeably in an Irish context. Monto is a rebel song not only in that context, but also in terms of its disaffection for British traits and for British authority.
    you seem like an educated chap may i add. but weren't you the one insuling redheads a while back?
    do you feel as though those who made this country a nation deserve respect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

FearDark wrote: »
    In fairness. Its awful shíte.
    A lot of it is. But it has some decent tunes. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

First time I heard this I were in tears laughing, Its like something you would hear in the jungle, Some song though absolutely class.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Love an oul' rebel song, can't stand all these celtic supporter cabaret bands though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Some great songs. Nothing beats a night in the pub with some trad and the locals singing along.

My favourite:

Probably my most hated because of that retarded twisted chant.

Advertisement