Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Else Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The closest Aesop Rock record to None Shall Pass would probably be the Fast Cars EP, so if you want to get into a bit more Aesop Rock, czech that out.
    And if you can get your hands on the limited edition version with the lyrics book, do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I wish I was this talented.

The DJ scratch at the start is amazing.

This guy is incredible. He lays a verse and then ****ing remixes it himself. This is outrageous.

I find it both depressing and inspiring that he is out there making videos like this on a train while there are guys with 1/100th of his talent making millions in studios all across America.

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Slim Thug attempts to sell Houston as a place where Dwight Howard might want to play his Basketball next season

It wasn't the most conventional recruiting in the world but it worked. Slim will be delighted with himself.

Having pretty much never tweeted in the 5 years he has had an account Jay-Z has finally decided to reply to fans. He has been at it for a few hours now.

This was one of my favourite replies.

a09677986dff16c4bed98a365959c3cc.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 The cheif stands alone

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Yeah, I've probably mentioned on here before how I went to London and straight up to Manchester the next night and his photographer recognised me and made sure I met him, he pulled him aside at the merch table introduced me and I cheekily asked him to sign 2 things, Undisputed Truth and the mixtape he and BK One put out (already had BK sign it in Dublin a few years before) and he signed both for me. I really noticed the trouble he had seeing what he was doing so was even more impressed when he personalised the Undisputed Truth cover "Andy Thank You for the support - Brother Ali" A prized possesion for sure!

And during the show, the photographer had obviously mentioned to him beforehand that I was there and had flew over for 2 shows, during Rain Water (which just happens to be my favourite song by him) he shook my hand and told me he loved me and got the crowd to make some noise for me :D A tad embarrassed I was!

You can tell they definitely appreciate their fans, even Slug and Evidence coming outside to hang out with the crowd, sign and take pics before the Rhymesayers show in London was dope!

That's so good to hear, Slug looks like a sound bloke, I'd love to see them come here. Did the show sell well in London? Like ya worry when Nas plays Tripod or Public Enemy & Immortal Technique both played Whelans. They all should have far more fans than those venues. It's no wonder we get skipped in their tours.

I.T is only in that list because I find his fans everywhere. I have a really bad complex with I.T because I hate his fans. I hold nothing against the guy and applaud his success, I just find his fans really irritating. Its like Tupac, Great Great Great performer/writer/rapper just his over enthusiastic fans are a little too loyal. Making them a standard that everything should be held against.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Slug has been here a few times before. I have a funny story about the first time I met him from a good few years back now.
    I was walking into Crawdaddy and met Slug and DJ Flip on the way out. And me at that stage of my life was a much more arrogant pr*ck than I am now ( :pac: ) and stopped to chat to Flip but completely ignored Sluggo on purpose. Flip was saying they were going for something to eat and gave an invite, and I was like, "Na, just eaten" and grumbled something like "good look with the show later" to Slug and walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

So now he thinks the place is full of pricks and doesn't bother coming over, cheers for that Boom Bap, all your fault!

And to answer the question above, I'm pretty sure the entire rhymesayers euro tour completely sold out. Think the venue in London held around a thousand.

He's been back since, and we've talked, and i was less pricky.
    I'll only take partial responsibility :)

The shows here have always been at capacity or very close to it.
    It's just not economical for independant artists to come here anymore. Irish Ferries needs to do some sort of package van/transport/sea fare package for starving rappers.

• Advertisement

Ha it's amazing how everyone (at least who I know) loath slug and atmosphere because he gets this rep as the emo kids rapper, I know its not fair because loads of rappers get adopted by rock fans. Do you Rap @Boom_Bap? Yeah I was at all the shows I listed there and they were jammed But low capacity all the same.

Tour packages for concerts are a great idea considering the demand for the Footy packages! I would have loved to go see golf wang over in London last year. I like WG just for their fans ironically! I went to see Tyler and it was wall to wall fine birds I was just like REALLY!?... really... REALLY!???

No idea how they have so many 18-23 year old girl fans! Like you'd expect Papoose or Childish Gambino or those rappers to be swarmed with girls but WG really brought them out!

Do you Rap @Boom_Bap?
    Hells no, tried it out for a while and my voice sounded absolutely ridiculous when recorded. You know that strong U sound that Dubs have when saying 'pub' or 'bus'...that's pretty much what you could hear over a whole verse UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    At the time, I also found it difficult to write as I had no idea what I wanted to say, so it always ended up being battle raps, which is what I didnt want to do.

I actually must dig out the cassettes again to check it out.......actually, nobody knows this, but the members of the group I was in were The Expert from MJEX, and Nick Fury from the Spectrum Drum n Bass crew.
    Me and The Expert also handled production duties which was a 4 bar loop of any Pete Rock remix we could find :)
    I always tell The Expert that if it wasnt for me he wouldnt be producing now as I made him buy a mixer with a sampler built in. That's what started it all off.

You should keep your eye out for some of the Euro tours that people you like do. Sometimes you can get dirt cheap flights to some cities and cheap hostel, it would end up cheaper than a taxi and booze for a gig in Dublin. I was close to going to Antwerp to see Brother Ali and Grieves and Budo once, all in about €60 or €70 for a weekend.

I've also been close to getting to the Splash festival in Germany a few times, it's actually on this weekend and you can catch it on

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/kanaluebersicht/aktuellste/1321386#/kanaluebersicht/1321386

Or on the ZDF Kultur channel if you have a satellite dish. I'll be tuning in this weekend.

Here's Big KRITS performance from last year:
    http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/kanaluebersicht/aktuellste/1321386#/beitrag/video/1678666/Murkage,-Big-KR.I.T.-beim-splash!-2012

That's so slick KRITS is the man, at least you tried man! I wrote some stuff and it read like a dr Suess poem hahaha decided I'd better not try this, There's nothing wrong with a bit of scumlin in your voice...

I wrote this rap and I was smoking a lot and listening to loads of souls of mischief, tribe, people under the stairs and all that smooth slow old slick ****. Recorded my voice and was like wow I need a lot of work, writing, rapping and delivery... Ah the cringe of the track.... I sound like a dis functioning pre-pubescent robot slurring in a high pitched mono tone voice! Oh the unending shame of it all. Ha

Does anyone know of any DJ's or Irish promtions that do those mash up mixtapes. Really wanna go to one of those shows

DJ Flip would be the mash-up man, plays regular nights in Dublin, but you'd have to catch him when he's in a hip hop mood.
    DJ Mayhem also does the odd mix, but havent seen one in a while.
    Choice Cuts would try to release a mix as well on the run up to a gig they are promoting.

The only time that I rap is when I'm out and there's a karaoke in the pub/house. In the past few months I've tried my hand at Lose Yourself and, most recently, Ms. Jackson. I butchered both songs.

The only redeeming feature of either was the hook for Ms. Jackson. I nailed it.

"I'm sorry Ms. Jackson, I am for reeeeeeeeeeeal."

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭countbezukov

That K.R.I.T performance is brilliant. I've wanted to see him for ages, and I don't see him coming here anytime soon. I've thought about flying to London/Paris to see him alright.

Some footage of Splash from this weekend in Berlin:

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/kanaluebersicht/aktuellste/1321386#/beitrag/video/1941880/splash!-2013---die-ganze-Sendung

Flatbush Zombies 1 min -> 30 mins

28 minutes in, crowd goes a bit mental

Die Orsons (German) 38 minutes - > 45 mins

Tyler, The Creator 45min -> 107 mins

Genetikk (German) 113mins -> 122mins

A$AP Rocky - 123mins -> 180mins

Some German Dude 189mins -> 210mins

Casper (German) 210mins -> 289mins

I remember putting the capital 'S' in when loading one or two Nas albums onto my iTunes years ago.
    Noah Callahan-Bever ‏@N_C_B 12m
    NaS has officially finally un-capped the 'S' in his name. Copy editors pls note: 'Nas' K, thx.

There's even more distressing upheaval in the grammatical world of hip-hop. How will we cope.
    Hyphen Mark, a punctuation mark who spent decades separating the word "Jay" and letter "Z," died on July 17 in a 134 character tweet that did not contain Hyphen. He was 19.

Although he went missing in the credits of "Watch The Throne," Mr. Mark was soon found, and managed to survive for over two more years, with the help of various unadvised magazines and newspapers. He was taken off life support at 9:25 p.m. Wednesday evening.

Less than a centimeter long, Hyphen closely resembled, but was not to be confused with either Dash or Minus Sign. Most recently, Mr. Mark is remembered fondly for his role in the "Magna Carta Holy Grail" album reviews. In addition to working with the rapper, Mr. Mark played a brief, but influential role in his work with Bread Jay-Z.

Hyphen Mark was born on the posse cut "Show & Prove." He worked diligently as a crucial player in written discussions of then Jay-Z's rap battles with LL Cool J.

One of the most joyous moments of Mr. Mark's life was his prominent placement on Jay-Z's marriage certificate to Ms. Beyonce Knowles. He was also a loyal friend through Jay's multiple retirements and continued his support of the rapper on numerous criminal records.

Style guides have expressed an outpouring of grief. One copy editor noted that "line-wrapping will be incredibly difficult without him."

Hyphen Mark is survived by Single Space.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/18/jay-z-hyphen_n_3618217.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

And the offending tweet:
    Joe Levy
    @RealJoeLevy
    Breaking: Jay Z has dropped the hyphen from his name, according to his label. I am not kidding. (Wish I was.) Copy editors: take note.

1943b35d2ae10e3b8d2f96d3de0dc95e.png

• Advertisement

Peter Rosenberg constantly impresses me with his knowledge of Hip Hop. I had no idea that he was so close to Oddisee and pretty much has followed his career.

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/07/oddisee-process-with-peter-rosenberg

I would love to site down with either Rosenberg or Oddisee and shoot the sh*t with them.

Action Bronson performing jam of the year Strictly 4 My Jeeps in a retirement home.

One of the greatest things ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

What a hero!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Nelly brought one of the victims of those horrific Ohio kidnappings on stage with him the other day.

Small gesture but fair play to him, great to see the poor thing smiling and having a great time after enduring such a horrific ordeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

If only Nelly was kidnapped instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Nelly brings back a few memories, country grammar was actually the first album I ever bought when I was a kid.

Is Rosenberg the hot 97 dj who spazzed out on young money at summer jam last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I have country grammar as well I haven't a clue where I got it, horrible album

Is Rosenberg the hot 97 dj who spazzed out on young money at summer jam last year?
    I wouldnt say 'spazzed out', he commented that he only wanted to hear real hip hop music and not Pop Starships music.
    Minaj didnt even know about it, she just knew she was pulled from the event.
    Minaj has actually sat down with him on the show and talked it out. Without going into the full detail:
    Pete cleared the air, said that he wanted to hear her doing proper rap music again.
    She agreed and said she wants to focus more on rap, but her fanbase would be more focused on her current imalgimation of pop/rap.
    She also threw a few jabs saying that Rosenberg was a nobody, and a nobody shouldn't critise her music.
    He agreed with it.

So it was massively blown out of proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Does anybody know anything about Shadez Of Brooklyn? I listen to anything I can find by them, change and paradise are 2 of my favourites songs but I know literally nothing about them I can't find anything online, from reading the vinyl covers on youtube videos I've gathered that beatminers and evil dee produced for them but I can't seem to find anything about the group themselves, anybody know anything? I'm looking at you boom_bap you've never let me down before :p

Advertisement