Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Else Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Been looking into BJ the chicago kid since I heard him with Kendrick on kush and corinthians, anybody recommend a good place to start with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Been looking into BJ the chicago kid since I heard him with Kendrick on kush and corinthians, anybody recommend a good place to start with him?

I think he might have an EP out. Not sure though. Check out his songs with Thurz and Freddie Gibbs. They're very good. He only does the hook though. Not sure what he's like on a full song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think he might have an EP out. Not sure though. Check out his songs with Thurz and Freddie Gibbs. They're very good. He only does the hook though. Not sure what he's like on a full song.

He has a mixtape: http://www.datpiff.com/BJ-The-Chicago-Kid-The-Life-Of-Loves-Cupid-mixtape.262960.html

Not sure what it's like, but his tracks with Thurzday are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Trait

Did anyone listen to Jarren Benton's new album "My Grandma's Basement"?
    My favourite songs on it so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQsPT4ejEpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZE-N1UqFMk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

shut up dont ask me questions :D... this fella is something else, comical.

got into him when section 80 dropped, i posted about him in the r'n'b forum a few years back and never got a response. Listen to pineapple now laters , few nice ones on it, ft's lamar on one or two tracks aswell.

This is hilarious:
    One half of UGK will soon take his Tumblr to print, allowing families to get throwed with crayons. The templates include Tupac, Drake and Juicy J.

In recent years, Port Arthur, Texas emcee Bun B has done quite a bit outside of music. The Rap-A-Lot Records artist and co-founder of UGK announced in 2011 that he would join the faculty at Rice University as "distinguished lecturer" to teach a Hip Hop and Religion-focused class at the college's school of humanities.

Now the Gangsta Rap veteran is moving into coloring backs. Bun and Houston, Texas-based music critic Shea Serrano have launched a Tumblr page featuring color book designs of Hip Hop artists. PSFK first-reported on the latest venture from the #1 charting artist. Currently printable from online, the pair has formal publication (as Bun B's Rap Coloring And Activity Book) plans for September of this year, according to Amazon.

Bun's publicist confirmed his involvement with HipHopDX. Below are two sample templates, both frequent Bun B collaborators in Drake and Three 6 Mafia's Juicy J:

DrakeColoring.jpg

JuicyJColoring.jpg

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.24309/title.bun-b-shea-serrano-to-publish-rap-coloring-activity-book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Happy Birthday to this man, the start of my hip hop obsession all the way back in primary school, Legend!

Apologies for the two big photos. I think they're necessary and worth it for this though.

Check the elements on the table and match them up to what is under this girls's photo.

o-JESSICA-LEE-YEARBOOK-570.jpg?4

periodic_table_of_elements.jpg

i dont get this jimmy :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

**** Bitches, Get Money!

You should have been listening more during Science in secondary :pac:.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

yeah-science.gif

James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) died of a heart attack earlier today, desperate news, can't think of another man that could have played that roll so brilliantly. I know there's a few fans of the sopranos round here too. He's sleepin with the fishes now!

If it wasn't for sopranos a lot of people wouldn't know this cracker of a tune!

Wow, I loved Gandolfini, if I ever see something with his name attached I would watch it.

new series of wild n out is starting july 9th in the states, use to love it.

You should have been listening more during Science in secondary :pac:.

I should of listened more in school full stop jimmy :D

Fair to say Outkast have at least 5 classics under their belt, what do people here think is their best album, for a proper outkast fan it's very hard to pick a favourite, i'd say Speakerboxxx/the love below has gotten more plays by me but i'd tip toward ATliens being a favourite purely because it was just so ahead of its time and has such a mellow sound.

I'd go something like this:

1) ATliens
    2) speakerboxxx/the love below
    3) southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik
    4) Aquemeni
    5) Stankonia
    6) Idlewild (poor album altogether tbh)

Just interested to see what type of outkast people prefer round here because they varied from being a pair of pimps to being a pair of downright abstract headcases and everything in between :p

Jimmy Fallon's show is brilliant. First he gets The Roots on as his band. Then he does this.

And, my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

I love Jimmy Fallon, He had Ice Cube on last week and done an amazing performance of It Was A Good Day with The Roots.

(it's not on youtube tho)
    http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/ice-cube-it-was-a-good-day/n38203/

Knowing what a big fan of Cube he is, I bet he loved that he changed the lyric to "Jimmy is a Pimp"!

I'm pretty impressed that I gave Action Bronson and un-naturally akward long loving hug before. But I'm pretty jealous that I didnt get clothes-lined or body slammed by him:

Slim Thug attempts to sell Houston as a place where Dwight Howard might want to play his Basketball next season

999336_458043780959274_823768114_n.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Fair to say Outkast have at least 5 classics under their belt, what do people here think is their best album, for a proper outkast fan it's very hard to pick a favourite, i'd say Speakerboxxx/the love below has gotten more plays by me but i'd tip toward ATliens being a favourite purely because it was just so ahead of its time and has such a mellow sound.

I'd go something like this:

1) ATliens
    2) speakerboxxx/the love below
    3) southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik
    4) Aquemeni
    5) Stankonia
    6) Idlewild (poor album altogether tbh)

Just interested to see what type of outkast people prefer round here because they varied from being a pair of pimps to being a pair of downright abstract headcases and everything in between :p

Imo, they've two definite classics, maybe 3...but never 5...all opinion tho.

I'd have it:

Aquemini
    ATLiens
    Southernplaylist....
    Stankonia
    Speakerboxxx/Love Below
    Idlewild

• Registered Users Posts: 13 The cheif stands alone

Anyone heard "Brother Ali - Mourning in America dreaming in colour". Some of the records Rhyme-sayers are putting out scare me they're so good. Aesop Rock - Skelethon blew my fragile little mind early this year.

Anyone heard "Brother Ali - Mourning in America dreaming in colour". Some of the records Rhyme-sayers are putting out scare me they're so good. Aesop Rock - Skelethon blew my fragile little mind early this year.

i'm very disappointed with Mourning in America. i went back to listen to it again recently tyring to be more positive, but the production is lacking and Ali is a bit too militant or uptight in the messge he is putting accross.
    One thing that annoys the pants off me is that he apologises for 'Us' on one of the tracks, whereas Us is a far far far better record.

But, i'm on the same page with Skelethon, it's amazing and gets better and better with each listen.
    If you havent listed to the Hail Mary Mallon album, you should get on that straight away.

FYI - I'm a huge fan of Rhymesayers and have been for 10+ years now. There is another poster on the forum who appears to be a big fan as well, heck, he even has RSE in his username -> Andy_RSE

Yep I'm a Stan for Ali/Rhymesayers and probably the only artists/label I would travel to England on my own to catch a show. I love MIADIC, I was a bit worried when I found out that he wasn't working with Ant on it but turns out I really like Jakes production on it, so much so I bought the instrumental version too. I totally get where Boom Bap is coming from about, I'm all for people evolving and I don't know if he feels a duty to his community and religion but I feel that he does risk alienating the fans that came up with him by being too political and overtly religious in his music. This is something he seemed to take great offence to in a youtube comment on one of his videos even telling the guy he wanted to set up a phone call to debate it with him. ON the other hand it could be that he felt the need to get some stuff off his chest and he done it with this album and normal service will be resumed on the next one. Time will tell.

Skelethon was an amazing album too. I love pretty much everything Rhymesayers put out and love the way they do business(though the iTunes bonus tracks irk me no end and feel like it's a bit of a slap in the face to the people who have supported them for years and buy all physical copies direct from them, but I understand why iTunes sales are important) and the packaging for some of their albums are brilliant like the Freeway "wallet".

To be honest, I've no problem in Brother Ali expressing himself and believes, I quite like it in his prior albums. It's just this time around, I personally didn't like that direction, perhaps because I've been listening to more Champion and Shadows and wanting some of that old flavour back.
    Still love the guy, and glad to have met him briefly on 2 occasions and had a little chat to him. I was even showing my missus the signed copy of US that I have recently and explaining how difficult it was for him to sign it given the lighting, his vision impairments and awkward place we were standing.

The RSE packaging is excellent, up until recently I didnt know that the iTunes version of the recent P.O.S album had bonus tracks and not on the CD. No even promo code to get them with a phyiscal purchase.

But when you order from Fifth Element, I love how they just throw in some bonus extras that they find lying around.

My fridge at home has loads of RSE (and Doomtree) stickers on it, and a lemon sticker from 'When Life Gives you Lemons' album.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I was even showing my missus the signed copy of US that I have recently and explaining how difficult it was for him to sign it given the lighting, his vision impairments and awkward place we were standing.

Yeah, I've probably mentioned on here before how I went to London and straight up to Manchester the next night and his photographer recognised me and made sure I met him, he pulled him aside at the merch table introduced me and I cheekily asked him to sign 2 things, Undisputed Truth and the mixtape he and BK One put out (already had BK sign it in Dublin a few years before) and he signed both for me. I really noticed the trouble he had seeing what he was doing so was even more impressed when he personalised the Undisputed Truth cover "Andy Thank You for the support - Brother Ali" A prized possesion for sure!

And during the show, the photographer had obviously mentioned to him beforehand that I was there and had flew over for 2 shows, during Rain Water (which just happens to be my favourite song by him) he shook my hand and told me he loved me and got the crowd to make some noise for me :D A tad embarrassed I was!

You can tell they definitely appreciate their fans, even Slug and Evidence coming outside to hang out with the crowd, sign and take pics before the Rhymesayers show in London was dope!

• Advertisement

Not a massive listener of RSE but I'm partial to aesop rock, none shall pass is great it was the first album of his I listened to.

Rainwater by brother Ali is one of my favourite songs, listened to it for about 2 weeks straight when a mate of mine died love it to bits!

Advertisement