Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forbidden Fruit 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The Comedy Line-Up has been announced for Forbidden Fruit, and a stellar one it is too. Making sure those rock ‘n’ roll-types don’t have it all their own way in Kilmainham from June 2 to 4 are:

Saturday – MC Danny Dowling, Colm McDonnell, Michael Downey, Carol Tobin, Tom O Mahony, Willa White, Aidan Bishop, John Colleary, Patrick McDonnell & Late Night Gimp Fight

Sunday – MC Gerry Mallon, Brendan Burke, Tomie James, James Goldsbury, Damon Blake, Paddy Cullivan, Kevin Gildea, Bernard O’Shea, Joe Rooney & Ardal O’Hanlon

Monday – MC Steve Cummins, Eleanor Tiernan, Gerry McBride, Tommy Nicolson, Trevor Browne, Sue Collins, Jarlath Regan, Foil, Arms and Hog & Dead Cat Bounce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Hey there, I don't think you get it... I didn't know all the bands up in Forbidden Fruit (I don't mind admitting that) so on the ones that weren't my cup of tea (pint of beer) I used this time to go and buy some drink. I like to drink. But the organisers of FF got it a bit wrong last year (and they will admit this themselves..) and only had 2 bars open which were swamped. We did have to wait ages and it annoyed a lot of people, but it wasn't the publics fault that a huge drinks companies like Bulmers couldn't work out how many bars were needed from their ticket sales. Of from their past experience in running similar events. After we secured our drinks I did hear that they ran out of beer on night one. But, and here's the best bit, I love music so much that I'm willing to give this music (and drinking...Bulmers anyone?!) festival a go again. We all make errors. But yep, I'd find it very hard to support them again if they make the same mistake this year.
    Enjoy it if you go :-)

The number and size of bars is set out in the event licence application which is lodged in advance (think it's three for this one). The only variable would be staff and the promoter should be able to advise the concessions as to expected attendance.

From what I read the problems at last years festival were down to some sort of technical fault with the supply chain on the day (refrigeration?). Drinks brands will not serve their product unless it's exactly the right temperature. This is a product sampling opportunity for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Hey there, I don't think you get it... I didn't know all the bands up in Forbidden Fruit (I don't mind admitting that) so on the ones that weren't my cup of tea (pint of beer) I used this time to go and buy some drink. I like to drink. But the organisers of FF got it a bit wrong last year (and they will admit this themselves..) and only had 2 bars open which were swamped. We did have to wait ages and it annoyed a lot of people, but it wasn't the publics fault that a huge drinks companies like Bulmers couldn't work out how many bars were needed from their ticket sales. Of from their past experience in running similar events. After we secured our drinks I did hear that they ran out of beer on night one. But, and here's the best bit, I love music so much that I'm willing to give this music (and drinking...Bulmers anyone?!) festival a go again. We all make errors. But yep, I'd find it very hard to support them again if they make the same mistake this year.
    Enjoy it if you go :-)

The queues at the bar on the Saturday last year were caused by the Beer Dispenser thingie breaking. It was sorted on Sunday.

I doubt they'll make the same mistake this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

The queues at the bar on the Saturday last year were caused by the Beer Dispenser thingie breaking. It was sorted on Sunday.

I doubt they'll make the same mistake this year.

Fingers crossed...

What drinks were available last year apart from bulmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

I think the beer was Becks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Was there Paulaner beer also?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Toast wrote: »
    I think the beer was Becks.
    Jaysus...
    Was there Paulaner beer also?
    Now that I'd be into

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Bulmers (Original and Berry), Becks, and Wine was all there was from what i remember.

BrianD wrote: »
    The number and size of bars is set out in the event licence application which is lodged in advance (think it's three for this one). The only variable would be staff and the promoter should be able to advise the concessions as to expected attendance.

From what I read the problems at last years festival were down to some sort of technical fault with the supply chain on the day (refrigeration?). Drinks brands will not serve their product unless it's exactly the right temperature. This is a product sampling opportunity for them.

while that may generally be true, last year on the Sunday there were a few extra "bars" compared to the previous day handing out fairly luke-warm cans of Bulmers. i remember being handed 2 cans straight out of the tray which hadn't been refrigerated at all.

Obviously they'll want to serve it at the right temp etc. if possible, but they didn't seem to care too much on the Sunday last year, even with the bars running properly again....

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

BrianD wrote: »
    Drinks brands will not serve their product unless it's exactly the right temperature. This is a product sampling opportunity for them.

I bought cans of Bulmers from the back of a van that was reveresed up to the fencing on the left hand side of the main stage.. The cans wern't cold but they did have plastic pints full of ice which I've never seen at a festival before. The Bulmers Promo defo worked on me considering i hated Cider before i went to there, now could drink it all day, no problem!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I bought cans of Bulmers from the back of a van that was reveresed up to the fencing on the left hand side of the main stage.. The cans wern't cold but they did have plastic pints full of ice which I've never seen at a festival before. The Bulmers Promo defo worked on me considering i hated Cider before i went to there, now could drink it all day, no problem!

Jeez... I suppose needs must. Anytime I've ever done a drinks promo the brewery insisted in delivering the product 24 hours in advance into the venue cellar. Even doing OBs down at festivals you'd get some crates of beer for guests and the arrival of a fridge that would barely fit through the door.

I suppose last year with FF it was a case of needs must.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHateMondays

while that may generally be true, last year on the Sunday there were a few extra "bars" compared to the previous day handing out fairly luke-warm cans of Bulmers. i remember being handed 2 cans straight out of the tray which hadn't been refrigerated at all.

Obviously they'll want to serve it at the right temp etc. if possible, but they didn't seem to care too much on the Sunday last year, even with the bars running properly again....

They ran out of all alcohol drinks last year on the saturday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

They ran out of all alcohol drinks last year on the saturday..

Did they? I just remember the queues being ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Did they? I just remember the queues being ridiculous.

They didnt run out of booze,they suffered a breakdown in the bar equipment on the Saturday. They sold cans on the Sunday to ease the pressure on the bars and also to cover for any more breakdowns.Queues on the Sunday were very short. This year there should be no problems for us getting our alcohol:)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Ya, there was hardly any que's on Sunday, except for the toilets.. Lot of women moanin about it. It was a bit crazy tho, they que'd for at least a half hour.. That will all be sorted this year hopefully.. Lookin forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

:eek:

this is shaping up to be the premier 'indie', or whatever you want to call it, summer festival.

http://www.facebook.com/Nialler9Blog/posts/373308592714981
    Sweet. Purity Ring are playing Forbidden Fruit on June 3rd - and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Deadly.

I see Trinity Orchestra are playing the Sunday too. Looks like they're playing dark side of the moon and some arcade fire. nice.
    http://trinityorchestra.com/?cat=5
    Sunday 3rd JuneTrinity Orchestra plays at Forbidden Fruit Festival 2012TBCGrounds of Royal Hospital, Kilmainham

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

(Recently re-formed) Mazzy Star playing at this IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

The line-up for this is just getting better and better all the time...

What next? They announce that Radiohead have been added to Saturday?!

I assume stage times will only come out the week of the festival? I'm starting to get worried about stage clashes as it'll be difficult to get all of the acts I want to see playing on the Sunday onto the main stage between 2 and 10.45....

There's no word about who plays what stage yet, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I assume stage times will only come out the week of the festival? I'm starting to get worried about stage clashes as it'll be difficult to get all of the acts I want to see playing on the Sunday onto the main stage between 2 and 10.45....

There's no word about who plays what stage yet, right?

Thats the thing about festivals mate, you just have to do the eeny, meany, miney, more, choose what you want to see and hope you have made the right decision.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2012/04/30/the-pointyheaded-post-about-this-years-festivals-before-the-season-begins/
    POD have Body & Soul, Forbidden Fruit (more names for the bill to be announced early this week),

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Purity Ring's label, 4AD, have them down to play Forbidden Fruit on 3rd June:

http://4ad.com/live/8922

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Why would that be a good thing?

So we can watch some moany arsehole bobbing his head around for 90 minutes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Nal wrote: »
    Why would that be a good thing?

So we can watch some moany arsehole bobbing his head around for 90 minutes?

Ah diddums. Does somebody not like Radiohead? :(

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Ah diddums. Does somebody not like Radiohead? :(

I do. Just think they're comically overrated .

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2012/05/01/forbidden-fruit-books-some-more-acts/
    More acts heading to Dublin 8 over the June bank holiday weekend for this year’s Forbidden Fruit festival.

Saturday

Holy Fu*k
    Republic of Loose
    Actress
    (new album “R.I.P” is stunning)
    Reid
    White Collar Boy

Sunday

Purity Ring
    Cloud Nothings
    We Cut Corners
    To Kill A King

Monday

Chairlift
    Autumn Owls
    (looking forward to hearing if the rest of their new material is as intriguing as “Acrobatics of A Patchwork Heart”)

Tickets are €49.50 (day ticket), €89.50 (two day tickets – any two days) and €115 (weekend tickets) plus those dastardly Ticketmaster charges.

Actress (new album “R.I.P” is stunning)

It sounds like someone pouring boiling water over an Atari 2600.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

The Nal wrote: »
    It sounds like someone pouring boiling water over an Atari 2600.
    In a good or a bad way?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement