Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forbidden Fruit 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

david_etc wrote: »
    An hour and a half is pretty much the standard amount of time for a headline act at a festival. That link pretty much confirms it.

Wilco are usually pretty good at picking their setlists for the right occasion though. They'll throw in enough crowd pleasers (Misunderstood, Jesus Etc, Impossible Germany) to balance with a couple of the new ones.

The new stuff is great live. They're frontloading the set with it. Heres the setlist from the last Wilco gig I saw. IF we get anything close to this it'll be a cracking gig.

Wilco Concert Setlist at Tempodrom, Berlin, Germany on November 12, 2011

One Sunday Morning (Song for Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)
    Poor Places
    Art Of Almost
    I Might
    Black Moon
    Company In My Back
    I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
    One Wing
    Bull Black Nova
    She's A Jar
    Kamera
    Impossible Germany
    Born Alone
    Hummingbird
    Whole Love
    Handshake Drugs
    Dawned On Me
    A Shot in the Arm

Encore:

Via Chicago
    War On War
    I'm the Man Who Loves You
    Misunderstood
    Heavy Metal Drummer
    The Late Greats
    I'm A Wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭david_etc

That's a great set list. Love to see Shot in the Arm on there! I'd be expecting about half that at FF tbh. Interesting they opened with One Sunday Morning. Since Wilco (The Album) they've almost always opened with Wilco (The Song).

• Registered Users Posts: 85,627 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Not a bad line up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Got my Monday ticket sorted, woop!

Tweeted them for info and got 2 tweets back... One sounded like a pr1ck whoever wrote back not very customer friendly. The other was more helpful. Jus'sayin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I think Trinity Orchestra might be playing at it again this year. They did Daft Punk last year but Im guessing they'll do Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon album this year if they're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Never really a fan of Wilco, always found them a bit boring but listenting to this kicking television live album and they're growing on me; sound really good live as well. Still can't believe Pitchfork gave Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a perfect 10 though.

Does anyone else do 'homework' on bands they don't know before festivals as well?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Does anyone else do 'homework' on bands they don't know before festivals as well?!

Definitely!!!!

I bought a ticket for Sunday. It seems alright that for 45 euros I will see New Order and Austra - and if I am lucky something else good will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tupelopenny

Wilco - gig number 13 for me.

very impressive,
    this will be 11 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I think I'll go Monday to see Wilco.

I'm not keen on the other acts playing at the festival. I know most of them but I'll check out the bands I don't know and maybe something will interest me. There was a lot of stuff I liked last year so I'm pretty underwhelmed by this line-up.

Will the Irish-acts stage make a return this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

http://www.facebook.com/forbiddenfruitfestival/posts/370928799591747
    So! All Forbidden Fruit Festival early bird tickets have been snapped up! General tickets are now on sale priced at €49.50/€89.50/€115 (Including booking fee) from Ticketmaster Ireland and usual outlets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Saturday and Monday of zero interest to me but defo going Sunday for New Order, DIV, Modeselektor and Austra, will have a butchers at Rarely Seen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHateMondays

We got the tickets can't wait!!! Beruit on the Monday will be my highlight. Was at FF last year and they didn't have enough bars and it took an hour and a half... This year though, I'd say their on track and this won't happen again. Yep, very strict, bars close just after 10 and out by 10.45. Great atmosphere up there...

I don't understand why anyone spend an hour and a half at a bar when there are some amazing artits performing? Cut your loses and enjoy the music. You'ld be better just going to the pub and sticking on the jukebox at that rate!

I don't understand why anyone spend an hour and a half at a bar when there are some amazing artits performing? Cut your loses and enjoy the music. You'ld be better just going to the pub and sticking on the jukebox at that rate!

It's all part of the music experience.. I like a drink at these music gatherings, in my opinion they go hand in hand. I've no probs with saying that it would make for a less enjoyable experience if I couldn't have drinks at gigs... They had a booze free music weekend festival somewhere in Ireland last summer, very low numbers and it bombed without trace... In the better drinking emporiums I think us music lovers much prefer to be at the mercy of DJ's and bands. Hard pushed to find jukeboxes in the more decent ones... :-)

It's all part of the music experience.. I like a drink at these music gatherings, in my opinion they go hand in hand. I've no probs with saying that it would make for a less enjoyable experience if I couldn't have drinks at gigs... They had a booze free music weekend festival somewhere in Ireland last summer, very low numbers and it bombed without trace... In the better drinking emporiums I think us music lovers much prefer to be at the mercy of DJ's and bands. Hard pushed to find jukeboxes in the more decent ones... :-)

Its not part of the music experience, its part of the festival experience. What does that even mean? Do you hear the music differently? Do you appreciate it more? I actually think it worsk in reverese; I enjoy the ****e songs more when I'm on the booze. I'm not saying don't drink sure I've partook in many a drinking session at Oxegen, EP, Slane etc but the fact that this is a one day rolling festival and the queue's where 90mins; thats a whole set from an artist, while your standing in line to help you try improve your musical experience, by in effect, missing out on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Its not part of the music experience, its part of the festival experience. What does that even mean? Do you hear the music differently? Do you appreciate it more? I actually think it worsk in reverese; I enjoy the ****e songs more when I'm on the booze. I'm not saying don't drink sure I've partook in many a drinking session at Oxegen, EP, Slane etc but the fact that this is a one day rolling festival and the queue's where 90mins; thats a whole set from an artist, while your standing in line to help you try improve your musical experience, by in effect, missing out on it?

Get a grip, people like a drink and having the craic at the festival aswell as enjoying the music. Especially as a casual fan of 90% of the bands at Forbidden Fruit, if I couldnt drink at it at all I probably wouldn't go.

And obviously its not the same as "just go to the pub". I'm there for the bands but I want a good day out too, so actually I'm there for both, that's why I'll buy the ticket.

nm wrote: »
    Get a grip, people like a drink and having the craic at the festival aswell as enjoying the music. Especially as a casual fan of 90% of the bands at Forbidden Fruit, if I couldnt drink at it at all I probably wouldn't go.

And obviously its not the same as "just go to the pub". I'm there for the bands but I want a good day out too, so actually I'm there for both, that's why I'll buy the ticket.

Standing in a queue for 90mins sounds like great craic. If there was a choice between listening to a live band/see an act or standing 90mins for couple of beers; I know what most music fans would choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Standing in a queue for 90mins sounds like great craic. If there was a choice between listening to a live band/see an act or standing 90mins for couple of beers; I know what most music fans would choose.

Funnily enough I don't think it was anyone's intention to queue for anything for 90 minutes, all they wanted was a drink.

You're looking at it from a puritans point of view, whereas I'd wager that most music fans (and they ARE music fans, but were there for a day out aswell and casual fans or just checking out lot of the line-up) there at the festival that day share my view, hence the size of the queue on the day and the complaints that followed about it.

Hey there, I don't think you get it... I didn't know all the bands up in Forbidden Fruit (I don't mind admitting that) so on the ones that weren't my cup of tea (pint of beer) I used this time to go and buy some drink. I like to drink. But the organisers of FF got it a bit wrong last year (and they will admit this themselves..) and only had 2 bars open which were swamped. We did have to wait ages and it annoyed a lot of people, but it wasn't the publics fault that a huge drinks companies like Bulmers couldn't work out how many bars were needed from their ticket sales. Of from their past experience in running similar events. After we secured our drinks I did hear that they ran out of beer on night one. But, and here's the best bit, I love music so much that I'm willing to give this music (and drinking...Bulmers anyone?!) festival a go again. We all make errors. But yep, I'd find it very hard to support them again if they make the same mistake this year.
    Enjoy it if you go :-)

P.S my above comment is directed at the comments from me-skywalker. On the same wave lengh nm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Do I like a drink at festivals? Yes.
    Could I enjoy my day without a drink? Yes.
    Would I enjoy my day even more with a few drinks? Yes.
    So much more that it would be worth standing in a queue for over a hour? No.

i went to the bar in between acts i wanted to see.
    could still hear the music from the mainstage during that time anyway.
    had a laugh with friends in the queue, just as i would if i was standing around waiting for acts to come on.
    didn't really affect my enjoyment of the day.
    Sunday was absolutely fine.

there'll be minimal queues this year presumably, so all of this is really a moot point.

http://entertainment.ie/music/news/Friendly-Fires-lead-Forbidden-Fruit-additions/114801.htm
    Friendly Fires, Hypnotic Brass Ensemble and Mmoths have been added to the Forbidden Fruit line-up. The trio will play the Kilmainham festival over the course of the June Bank Holiday weekend (2nd - 4th), joining the already announced Leftfield, New Order, Wilco, Death Cab For Cutie, Beirut, Death In Vegas and more.

Friendly Fires will be making their return to Dublin following a sold out (and incredibly well-received) show in The Olympia and their disco funk sound will be a welcome addition to the festival's stable of performers.

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble are a band getting more and more accustomed to the big time. Forbidden Fruit will be a walk in the park (figuratively and literally?) for the group who have already supported the mighty Prince in Malahide Castle.

Mmoths won't have too far to travel as Newbridge based Jack Colleran takes to the stage on Saturday June 2nd. Tipped to be one of the biggest stars of 2012 Mmoths went global in less than a month of the first two Soundcloud uploads. Putting his Leaving Cert studies to the wayside Jack was quickly picked up and signed.

Tickets are still available for the Festival and will cost you €49.50 for a day ticket, €89.50 for two day tix, while €115 will gain you entry for the whole weekend.

all playing on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Looks like Trinity Orchestra will be playing on the Sunday. Most likely first act on the main stage.

They played Daft Punk at it last year but it looks like they will play Pink Floyd and/or Stevie Wonder at it this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

real estate will be playing as well, as confirmed on EP forum

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Forbidden Fruit announces it's Comedy lineup next week and in preparation, we've got a competition! We want YOU to name our Comedy Tent at the festival, joining the Original Stage, The Undergrowth, The Lighthouse and The Pear-Shaped stages at Forbidden Fruit 2012. The winner will receive a pair of weekend passes to Forbidden Fruit Festival plus some lovely band merch! Take part in our Forbidden Fruit ‘Name Our Comedy Tent Competition’ by giving us your suggestions below or via Twitter using #forbiddenfruitcomedytent. The winner will be selected by one of the comedians we'll be announcing next week! You have until April 15th and our winner will be announced on Monday April 16th. You must be over 18 to enter!

So, what can you come up with? We wanna hear your ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭lc180

Forbidden Fruit announces it's Comedy lineup next week

Bernard O'Shea from Republic of Telly self-confirmed himself for FF last week on his twitter page.

It'll be interesting to see the caliber of comedians they will get for such a small festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

lc180 wrote: »
    Bernard O'Shea from Republic of Telly self-confirmed himself for FF last week on his twitter page.

It'll be interesting to see the caliber of comedians they will get for such a small festival.

Well considering the Cat Laughs is on the same weekend they might well get some decent comedians to travel up for a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭electronic

Forbidden Fruit announces it's Comedy lineup next week and in preparation, we've got a competition! We want YOU to name our Comedy Tent at the festival, joining the Original Stage, The Undergrowth, The Lighthouse and The Pear-Shaped stages at Forbidden Fruit 2012. The winner will receive a pair of weekend passes to Forbidden Fruit Festival plus some lovely band merch! Take part in our Forbidden Fruit ‘Name Our Comedy Tent Competition’ by giving us your suggestions below or via Twitter using #forbiddenfruitcomedytent. The winner will be selected by one of the comedians we'll be announcing next week! You have until April 15th and our winner will be announced on Monday April 16th. You must be over 18 to enter!

So, what can you come up with? We wanna hear your ideas!

The sh*ts and giggles stage

• Advertisement

Sunday additions:

Peaking Lights
    The Cast of Cheers
    Lower Dens
    The Magician
    Daithí

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement