Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PiP Implants support thread - Irish petition in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kiwi_real

Thanks for replying. Has anyone had them removed?? I read on an earlier thread that <snip> were removing & replacing them for the following costs:

1 Free Scan,
    2 If Ruptured, Free removal/Replacement
    3 Removal Only €1300
    4 Removal and Replacement €1800

I just want them out regardless of whether they are ruptured but what do you replace them with?? I was assured as to the safety of silicone at the time and was recommended silicone over saline. I had no idea that <snip> would use such an inferior product as they had such and still do have a great reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Pixiejane

U.S. FDA Approved Implants

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/ImplantsandProsthetics/BreastImplants/ucm063871.htm

Ladies check this website out for anyone considering replacements.

kiwi_real wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. Has anyone had them removed?? I read on an earlier thread that <snip> were removing & replacing them for the following costs:

1 Free Scan,
    3 Removal Only €1300

I just want them out regardless of whether they are ruptured but what do you replace them with?? I was assured as to the safety of silicone at the time and was recommended silicone over saline. I had no idea that <snip> would use such an inferior product as they had such and still do have a great reputation.

Hi Kiwi,
    Don't think any <snip> patients have gone down that route yet, I know one girl Saulite (<snip>) is getting hers removed and replaced this weekend by <snip> at a cost of 3500. Disgraceful that she has to pay but totally understand her reasons to have herself sorted, and I hope she gets her costs back when she sues <snip>. Ah yes like me you were told they were safe and approved etc etc, but look where we find ourselves now. I think we're all absolutely disgusted and disappointed with <snip> as they had such a great reputation alright, think it's on its way to being well and truly tarnished now though. They need to resolve this situation for their patients and not by asking for more money either.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Pixiejane wrote: »
    No problem Chip, haha so I sound like your hubby then:rolleyes:well he sounds like a straight talking man who is just looking out for your best interests and safety I'm sure. I really understand where you're coming from and most definitely agree with everything you're saying, but as days and weeks have gone on since the breaking news on 20th December 2011, I think slowly there is progress being made. I know we have some support from <snip>, and you know what, I wouldn't expect anything less, but we have been much more fortunate that most women out there. We've had consultations and ultrasounds with no problems and no cost to ourselves. But look at the <snip> situation now, offering to remove/replace anyone with ruptures (is that right <snip> girls?) which is what <snip> are offering, but the real problem is even those women with no ruptures still don't feel safe in their own bodies.
    The legal advice you got, was it to go back to your original clinic or go somewhere else and then reclaim the cost further down the line? I agree with you that the legal thing may take a considerable amount of time alright, and in the meantime we all just want to return to normal life with our families and put this nightmare behind us. In principal, we should not have to cough up any more money, sure who has that kind of money in their piggy bank anymore?
    With regard to replacements, the surgeon in <snip> is currently using Eurosilicone implants as is <snip> where he also practices. I also read the article Poppygal mentioned as well and am more confused than ever also. :confused:

Your a marelous woman... I have been following your comments all the through... you have been hughely supportive of everyone and their situations..
    Now you just need to think of you and whats best.. I am having a consultation nxt week with a view to discussing ALL options... The money is an issue but maybe we can negotiate payment plans??
    i feel much more knowledgeable and in control... if the scan is good , then ill be grateful for that too..
    Keep in touch and let me know what u decide

021tanya wrote: »
    Hey ladies,
    I would just like to say thanks a million for sharing all info,as it seems this is all we have!! As I have said in earlier pages I had implants 2005 in <snip> who have since closed their doors... I have been nearly obsessed with 'boards' the last week but at the same time ignoring the fact that it might be me but yesterday I have finally started the process of finding out... I rang lavelle Coleman and she advised to be gettin them out ASAP, while on the phone to her I missed a call from imb and when I returned the call I was told that they are pretty sure <snip> were not using pip until after 2007( relief)... Then picked up echo( local paper ) and u can imagine my shock when I read a headline about a ladie who had implants 2006 in <snip> and they have recently ruptured... Jesus I wish we could get some straight answers... I so angry that imb are giving out wrong info!!!! I have delivered a letter requesting my files, to <snip> today, seemingly they still collect their post, and it will take about 3 weeks before I find out, 3WEEKS, what a joke...

Hi i 2 went to <snip> and i got mine done in 2005 aswell the irish medical board called me monday morning and said the same thing as far as they were aware that the pips were only used from after 2007 that many types of implants were used before that but i think mine are rupshured as ive what feels like air bubbles tine i tought i had 1 but the doc said i have to in both breasts other than that my breasts look great ive never had any trubble with them but im terrified mine have rupshured as its not normal to have what feels like air bubbles im waiting on my ultra sound and i feel like crying all the time im a mess, my solister said that that the court case will take till about next xmas to all get sorted out so im thinking if mine have rupshured what am i going to do i dont money im unemployed and terrified and becouse <snip> have closed down what do us women do and who is going to sort out this mess im waiting on my medical records im sick with worry

• Advertisement

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WILL CLAIN PUT THEM IN FOR 1800 OR IS THAT ONLY FOR THERE CLIENTS THAT USED THEM FOR THE SURGERY AS I GOT MINE DONE IN <snip> IF IT IS THE CASE IM THINKING OF GETTING THE MONEY TO PAY FOR THEM SOME WHERE AS I DONT NO WHERE THE HELL IM GOING TO FIND THE MONEY ? CAN ANYONE HELP WITH INFO ?

Pixiejane wrote: »
    U.S. FDA Approved Implants

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/ImplantsandProsthetics/BreastImplants/ucm063871.htm

Ladies check this website out for anyone considering replacements.

Bloody hell just read your attachment... if i had read this 6 years ago, i might not have got them done!!!

Looks like we will have to get them done every 10 yrs...what will we be like when we re 60/70 ??
    Our boobs are an ongoing cost................

Maybe you would be able to get the funds for the scan off the HSE? If you are on unemployment benefit, you can apply for a one off payment for out of the oridinary expenses which could go towards the cost of the MRI. Anything for peace of mind.

Is there an online petition anywhere urging the Irish goverment to make a decision on the matter? If they are being removed in the Uk & France, they should be removed here. Thanks for everyones post, it has given me alot of comfort as I only found out this afternoon and I have been shaking ever since.

1 Free Scan,
    3 Removal Only €1300

Hi Kiwi in exactly the same predicament.... FDA approved is a start but we better research the best possible product and insist on it..
    Its a minefirld . but maybe we are more knowledgeable about it now? Im attending <snip> too so will keep you posted... im hoping to have this all behind in by the end of the month!!!
    At least this time, there might be saftey in numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Saranna

Hi Im in <snip> tomorrow,I have already visted my own gp,I had alot of tenderness in one side she has confirmed a mass(not a lump type thank God)
    But from reading the hundreds of pieces on this it has been said the scans dont show leakage ,so confused and fed up with all this.
    I like most people arent in the position to pay for this again even at 1,800.

We are being ripped off by a very reputable clinic:(

I am booked for an appointment next week with the surgeon who performed the procedure, however I will need a referral for a scan from the surgeon and all scans are being conducted in the <snip>

Did anyone have their scans yet? Have there been many problems? It is impossible to get info from Irish websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Hi girls.

Great thread. Just to repeat another question by another posted that has not been answered yet (I think)

The clinic I had mine done is now closed. From the imb I've been told they didn't use pip but to put my mind at ease I would like a scan to be sure it's not ruptured. I'm nearly 11 years so really need to think about getting them replaced in anyway. Dread I as the older I get the more fear I have!

Who can do these scans in Dublin?

Thanks

<snip> are offering free consulations, independent advice off seperate clinics may help in the decision of what to replace them with.

I also wrote to the IMB today to complain about the fact that <snip> has only contacted me now, even though on their website they have stated that all patients have been contacted on scanned. Hopefully with more focus on the issue, they will have to take a firm stance point on the matter.

Good luck to all those with appointments. I have mine next Wednesday, I will post details of what info I receive.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WILL <snip> PUT THEM IN FOR 1800 OR IS THAT ONLY FOR THERE CLIENTS THAT USED THEM FOR THE SURGERY AS I GOT MINE DONE IN <snip> IF IT IS THE CASE IM THINKING OF GETTING THE MONEY TO PAY FOR THEM SOME WHERE AS I DONT NO WHERE THE HELL IM GOING TO FIND THE MONEY ? CAN ANYONE HELP WITH INFO ?

Hi Concerned PIP,
    <snip> are only offering that to their clients I think. Removal and replacement for 1800. Have you spoken to any legal people yet for advice? You should as they'll be able to guide you along the right path. What stage are you at, have you had scan yet or visited GP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭kyra123

Hi Girls,

Hope your all doing ok today. Thanks to all for the information that is up I know I have found it really helpful.

So here s my update for today.

Went to see a surgeon today, He has found rippling in both breast and a slight tightening in one breast. He said this is due to the product (implants) not being very good. He suggested a scan to check for leaks and ruptures. The implants he is offering has a life time guarantee. He was very helpful and answered all my questions and concerns.

Went for an ultrasound scan straight after. The women who did it was very nice but warned me that an Ultrasound is not 100% accurate for these checks and after today she will not be booking any other girls in.

She could not see any major leaks or rupture but warned me that she was not happy with the scan and she felt she could have missed some so she is recommending me for an MRI. She did find rippling also on both implants.
    She told me to pass on to you all to get an MRI rather than an ultrasound as they are more accurite.

On my letter from the Harley Medical Group it says to call is you have any pain and rippling which I do so I will call them tommorow and will see the solicitor on Friday.
    So still in the same boat for me, still have no anser and need a scan again.
    So tired today has been exhausting.

021tanya wrote: »
    Hey ladies,
    I would just like to say thanks a million for sharing all info,as it seems this is all we have!! As I have said in earlier pages I had implants 2005 in <snip> who have since closed their doors... I have been nearly obsessed with 'boards' the last week but at the same time ignoring the fact that it might be me but yesterday I have finally started the process of finding out... I rang lavelle Coleman and she advised to be gettin them out ASAP, while on the phone to her I missed a call from imb and when I returned the call I was told that they are pretty sure <snip> were not using pip until after 2007( relief)... Then picked up echo( local paper ) and u can imagine my shock when I read a headline about a ladie who had implants 2006 in <snip> and they have recently ruptured... Jesus I wish we could get some straight answers... I so angry that imb are giving out wrong info!!!! I have delivered a letter requesting my files, to <snip> today, seemingly they still collect their post, and it will take about 3 weeks before I find out, 3WEEKS, what a joke...

Oh Tanya that is so unfair for you. Try to call the IMB again, i know I spoke to a women called Ann in there and she seemed to be helpful. Jesus you have enough to be worring about without having to worry if the information your getting is correct, Have a look back through the post I'm sure their are other girls from that clinic I remember seeing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dawntrek

Hi Girls

I had mine done in <snip> 2006 and they are no longer in business so it seems I will have to pay for everything myself:(

My mum has said she will lend me the money which I feel awful about and want to make sure I make the right decision this time.

I had a consultation with <snip> and they said they would remove and replace for 3,500.

I am now really confused as if you check them out on google it seems that one of their surgeons was struck off and there are a lot of unhappy girls with their aftercare.

I plan to call them tomorrow to ask them about this and will let you know.

I am now really confused as I dont want to make the same mistake again.

I am going to get another view but dont know where - any advise PLEASE!

I spent since Christmas day worried about this and I cant sleep properly.

chip1234 wrote: »
    Your a marelous woman... I have been following your comments all the through... you have been hughely supportive of everyone and their situations..
    Now you just need to think of you and whats best.. I am having a consultation nxt week with a view to discussing ALL options... The money is an issue but maybe we can negotiate payment plans??
    i feel much more knowledgeable and in control... if the scan is good , then ill be grateful for that too..
    Keep in touch and let me know what u decide

Ahww thanks for saying that, that's given me a welcome boost:Dthis forum has given me inspiration and support as well as all you ladies out there. We all need to stick together. Brave women like Jean getting in touch with the papers and doing that interview will only create much needed awareness, and the ladies who spoke on Joe Duffy etc. The glamour model on the Late Late did us no favours though in fairness!
    I'm only getting my head around all this now and so focused on what I want, so am hoping to hear from <snip> soon, otherwise I'll be on to them and will go back for another meeting with the surgeon to discuss everything. Payment plans a good idea alright, but I'm hoping and praying they'll come up trumps in the end. I still have faith small as it may be these days. More importantly we need to be more knowledgeable about the next set of replacements. A list of questions one should ask one's surgeon also available on that FDA website, so a handy one to print off and bring with you next week ;)
    Glad you're feeling more confident and knowledgeable and ready for them next week, keep the faith:)

If you get a referral from your GP you can get an MRI in any of the Euromedics clinics. If you have health insurance, the cost of the MRI may be paid directly by them.

Is there an online petition anywhere urging the Irish goverment to make a decision on the matter? If they are being removed in the Uk & France, they should be removed here. Thanks for everyones post, it has given me alot of comfort as I only found out this afternoon and I have been shaking ever since.

Kiwi have you got a medical card? I know you can get some money off some scans with it.
    I was with <snip> today the surgeon spoke with me answered all my questions and did a examination of me. the consultation was free and really good. Maybe try to get an appointment with him also.

• Advertisement

Auralia are offering free consulations, independent advice off seperate clinics may help in the decision of what to replace them with.

I also wrote to the IMB today to complain about the fact that <snip> has only contacted me now, even though on their website they have stated that all patients have been contacted on scanned. Hopefully with more focus on the issue, they will have to take a firm stance point on the matter.

Good luck to all those with appointments. I have mine next Wednesday, I will post details of what info I receive.

Good on you for letting the IMB know. Be wary of other clinics jumping on the band wagon so to speak and giving the speech on their surgeons and their implants. Good to get other advice and opinions though. Good luck next week.

Saranna wrote: »
    Hi Im in <snip> tomorrow,I have already visted my own gp,I had alot of tenderness in one side she has confirmed a mass(not a lump type thank God)
    But from reading the hundreds of pieces on this it has been said the scans dont show leakage ,so confused and fed up with all this.

I am booked for an appointment next week with the surgeon who performed the procedure, however I will need a referral for a scan from the surgeon and all scans are being conducted in the <snip>.
    could you GP give you a referral instead to <snip>??
    Might just get you into a scan a bit quicker?

If you get a referral from your GP you can get an MRI in any of the Euromedics clinics. If you have health insurance, the cost of the MRI may be paid directly by them.

Thanks for that Kiwi think i'm still on my folks health insurance so will call them tomorrow

dawntrek wrote: »
    Hi Girls

I had mine done in <snip> 2006 and they are no longer in business so it seems I will have to pay for everything myself:(

My mum has said she will lend me the money which I feel awful about and want to make sure I make the right decision this time.

I had a consultation with <snip> and they said they would remove and replace for 3,500.

I am now really confused as if you check them out on google it seems that one of their surgeons was struck off and there are a lot of unhappy girls with their aftercare.

Oh Dawn you poor thing.............so I take it you have PIPs then? Have you been examined by a doctor/surgeon yet? If not this is your first step, then go for an MRI and they'll be able to tell you if you have any ruptures or not. Most importantly, try not to panic, you'll make yourself worse. You've got the support of your Mam which is great, and you've already been for a consultation with another crowd, so good on you. Ring them tomorrow and ask any more questions you need to. Shop around as well. Most importantly don't be panicked into any quick decisions by anyone. Gather up your info and make the decision yourself, along with advice from family. My suggestion to you now is go get yourself a nice big mug of tea, and take the time to read all the posts on here, you'll find it comforting and informative. Get a pad and a pen as well as you'll find some helpful telephone numbers and contacts that'll help you along the way.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Marguerite1

Hi Kiwi Real, and everyone else.
    I just got my kids to bed so I'm late logging on and trying to catch up.
    I think that's great that you reported <snip> to the IMB. I didn't want to do it until I found out if more people hadn't been contacted (like me!), so I'm now going to do the same thing. It's a bit rich that other clinics are being chastised by the IMB, but <snip> aren't when they were also guilty of not contacting patients, or advising them of the serious issues with PIPs.
    I agree with the other <snip> ladies that at least we have had our MRIs arranged for free etc... My heart goes out to the ladies who went to <snip> and <snip>. The IMB need a serious petition about this. This is not just about us, it's about our families/children/partners etc... There are more than just us effected. I wonder if the Minister for Health has made any statement on the matter. I must check that out...

frogstar wrote: »
    Hi girls.

Great thread. Just to repeat another question by another posted that has not been answered yet (I think)

The clinic I had mine done is now closed. From the imb I've been told they didn't use pip but to put my mind at ease I would like a scan to be sure it's not ruptured. I'm nearly 11 years so really need to think about getting them replaced in anyway. Dread I as the older I get the more fear I have!

Who can do these scans in Dublin?

Thanks

Hi there,
    Check out one of mosts from earlier today, I advised Shellbabe to ring <snip> and I stuck a telephone number on there as well. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lillzo

dawntrek wrote: »
    Hi Girls

cant believe u have pip u poor think i heard <snip> never used theese

I got an full body MRI there two years ago as I was having problems with my back and had just been diagnosed with epilepsy so I am hoping that my neurologist would have spotted something amiss. Depending on how long referral takes, might also get one from GP.

I want to speak with original surgeon and see what he has to say on matter, I still cant fathom why they used such low grade products.

Good luck with other appointments, think will also make an appointment to go see <snip> to arm myself with more information. The HSE should set up a helpline and provide independent advice on the matter.

Saranna wrote: »
    [Hi Im in <snip> tomorrow,I have already visted my own gp,I had alot of tenderness in one side she has confirmed a mass(not a lump type thank God)

Hi Saranna,
    Sorry, I'm just catching up with the posts. You had your operation in <snip> and you're going there for a check up? Correct?
    As one of the other ladies suggested, please do bring someone with you. The day I went there was a lady who went in with her husband and another lady who went in with her friend. They were both in with <snip> for about 4 times longer than I was. I went in on my own. I felt a bit bamboozeled and didn't ask everything I needed/wanted to ask. If you bring someone, let them be your support. It will give you strength. I hope you get on well and all is ok.

• Advertisement

chip1234 wrote: »
    Hi There,

I do feel releived..and i absolutely agree with you on the Payment issue.
    But Marguerite after a month of worry, stress and not knowing what will happen, i feel the solution is there if we want it.

This doesnt mean letting the clinic off the hook, but it does give you, me and the other "<snip>" girls a choice on next steps....

It is our decision on what happens next..the <snip> girls or <snip>, dont have those choices open to them...

Our health and well being is the most important thing here, and our working and family lives have been disrupted enuf...

Compensation/ recompense can be dealt with at a later stage, by the professionals...

I hope your ok, dont worry too much about scan.. keep in touch xx

Hi Chip1234,
    I totally agree with what you're saying on all aspects above. I will keep in touch and keep the posts up to date. I feel that everyone's support on this blog is giving me some strength. Thanks to everyone. As I said in an earlier post, I'm going to check out the stance of the Minister for Health.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement