Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PiP Implants support thread - Irish petition in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭kyra123

neadybaby wrote: »
    Has anyone had an appointment with <snip>? I had surgery done in <snip> (since closed down) have appointment with <snip> on the 16th of Feb - has anyone had PIP done with these? want to have a clue on what to say when I go in - going to contact that solicitor tmrw morning. Can believe this!!!

Neady baby

There are girls who also were in <snip> on this forum before maybe have a quick look through the previous pages and see what they said. Sorry there are so many clinics involved I can't remember what each one is offering (if anything) Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jeano8

kyra123 wrote: »
    Thanks Jean <snip>, I was in <snip>. God I hope to god the women I spoke with just did nt have her facts right. They are unreal ruptured or not they should be removed and replaced (if wanted) for all of us, I hope nobody goes with them again for surgery in this country after what they have put us all through. Worse for them is I always found them brill before this and would have happily recommended them to others

I found out through an e mail and then a letter for them. I ve asked for full conformation and my medical files countless times. I rang the mailed the english number for a call back and the girl told me if i got a letter saying 'likely' then I have them as that is the implant that was being used in the clinic at the time.

Same here i was also in <snip> i really hope so im gonna check their website now but u are completly rigjt they shud be removing ajd replacing for anyone with pips im tue smae i actually recommended them to a friend bit never again tjey have really shot themselves in the foot here in ireland i hav been contaced by ireland am and the afternoon show to see if i will do an interview so will talk it over with my husband tonight but im still veru concerned what if i go for a scan and hav a rupture i mean healthwise and also if i dont hav a rupture will hav to try pull money from thin air to fund surgery? Also if you search pip implants on facebook a girl posted an interesting thing about ruptures and symptoms in saline and silicone implants

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Poppygal

jeano8 wrote: »
    Hi everyonr just to let u all know i did an interview with the irish independant and it in there today so hav a look if u can they are also looking for me to do an interview in radio bit nervous dont know what to do im also a victim of hmg!!!!!

Well done to you Jean for speaking out, such a personal issue, it took great courage, you are very brave.

Best of luck to you, I really hope everything works out for you and everybody else

Well done on the article Jean08 and thank you for bringing it to light. It is so wrong that the only way to get an answer out of <snip> is to go to the media.

Do you mind if I keep up to date with you, you seem to be the only other girl as well as myself from <snip> operated on in <snip>.
    I've an appointment with Avril in Lavelle Coleman Solicitors, she seems to be very informative with all this.

Chip
    That is a great idea of the bullet points on your clinic.

The Harley Medical Group
    have just put up a statement on their english web site

http://www.harleymedical.ie/breast-enlargement-pip-implant-patient-advice/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Marguerite1

chip1234 wrote: »
    Hi Girls, (Pixiejane/Maurgerite1

As the three of us appear to have got OPs in <snip>, heres the deal:

1 Free Scan,
    2 If Rptured, Free removal/Replacement
    3 Removal Only €1300
    4 Removal and Replacement €1800

I rang today and following results, scheduled OP should take place within 2 weeks..
    At least there appears to be a plan!!
    What ye think?

Hi Chip1234.
    It's really good of you to have gotten the information directly, I just can't face talking to them until after my MRI next Thursday pm. What do I think?.. It's obviously so much cheaper than the original operation, but why should we have to pay at all? I really do think <snip> should pay if we want them out and replaced. I think if you want them replaced they should do it for you and be grateful if nothing sinister has happened regarding your health since they put them in.
    What do you think yourself? You sound relieved....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Pixiejane

Poppygal wrote: »
    I have just come accross an article written by a surgeon 2008 and discussing ruptures and different brands of implants. I am horrified to see so many implant brands listed as the considered cheaper option: Quote: "the Sebbin, Eurosilicone , Allergan CUI, Nagor and PIP implants are some of the cheapest type of implants you can get for a breast enlargement."

I have eurosilicone, from <snip> :( And am worried now as they don't use these anymore...why I wonder!!! None of the above are FDA approved

Further down the page he advises to look for FDA approved implants (Mentor or Allergan McGhan), just because they have been tested in more controlled studies and they come with a much better guarantee from the manufacturer.

The link for the article if anyone is interested: Wortha read and look around at some other articles there, especially if getting PIPs replaced http://harleystreetsecrets.com/ws/2008/12/06/ruptured-breast-implants/

Poppygal thanks for the link, makes for interesting reading alright. Ladies you should take a look especially for anyone considering removal/replacement at their own cost. <snip> are using Eurosilicone Poppygal, and apparently they come with a lifetime guarantee as per their website. I was told at my consultation that the implants I was getting were FDA approved and my husband was with me, blatant lies were told to me if that's the case. Who can we trust indeed?

Hi Pixiejane,

I rang <snip> today. I have an appointment next week after a scan , to discuss removal/replacement.
    Now . im afraid. Is there any safe implant ? or are we now scarred too? At least <snip> are
    providing some bit of support and solutions.. What will you do. do u think?

Hi Chip,
    Is there any safe, high quality implant indeed? Have a look at Poppygal's post earlier today, she has a link to a blog site about implants, makes for interesting reading by a surgeon apparently but he doesn't give him real identity, but seems to have plenty of knowledge. Can we really trust that surgeon again? Apparently surgeons were made aware of the potential problems with PIPS a few years ago, so why was nothing done back then, would have saved us all a lot of heartbreak and anxiety. <snip> are providing some support and some solutions, and so they should. It's their duty and the duty of the surgeon. However to charge us again just adds insult to injury, what do you do if you haven't got the money for that. And hello the cheapest implant on the market that were used on us, I think none of us paid a cheap price to have them done.
    Good luck next week with your scan and your consultation too. Bring someone with you Chip, partner husband, for support, you'll need it. Be firm and positive about what you want, and how defective product never meant for the human body was put into you and you're not happy about it. Furthermore no letter was ever sent out by <snip> to inform us all of the recall of these implants or to inform us of the closure of the French manufacturer. As a supplier/distributor of PIP implants, <snip> and the surgeon should own up to their responsibilities and correct their wrong. I'm sorry for waffling on here, but I'm so adamant that we should not have to fork out for their incompetency. We are human beings and need to be treated accordingly.

Hi Chip1234.
    It's really good of you to have gotten the information directly, I just can't face talking to them until after my MRI next Thursday pm. What do I think?.. It's obviously so much cheaper than the original operation, but why should we have to pay at all? I really do think <snip> should pay if we want them out and replaced. I think if you want them replaced they should do it for you and be grateful if nothing sinister has happened regarding your health since they put them in.

Great you have the information to share, see my latest comment on what I think. I'm in agreement with Marguerite. We shouldn't have to pay. By the way he'll be offering Eurosilicone implants as that's what his company <snip> are currently using, so check out Eurosilicone website for info on their implants and see what you think. I think that they're obviously getting nervous as us ladies seem to be on their backs, and we have to keep it up to get results. Good work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SHELLBABE10

Hi Girls,

I also got my implants done in <snip>.Im waiting on my scan before deciding what to do.Is the mri scan safe to get done when pregnant do any of u's know, just my just almost 6 months pregnant. <snip> said i can safely have it done but can i really take his word for it??? my babys safety comes first

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

neadybaby wrote: »
    Hi, I also had implants done through the hospital group in 2009 - I finally got an appointment for the 16th of Feb (I had the operation done in <snip> closed down now) - has anyone heard anymore info about what is being done?? I'm worried that I have PPI and want to be aware of what I should say to surgeon on the 16th - any ideas???
    Thanks

Hi i also got mine done in <snip> was it <snip> as thats where i got mine done ? i got a call from the irish medical board monday she told me that <snip> only used pip from 2007 i got mine done in 2005 so she said ill have to check my medical records which i dont have im going in to my solisters in the morning she will get them for me as the hospital is closed down i cant remember the name of my surgen as they have closed down do u no if he is practicing in another clinic ?as i dont have a clue what to do i went to my doc monday he said ive what feels like air bubbles in both breasts and he dose not no what it is so im panicing thinking mine are rupshured im also waiting on an ultra sound any information u have would be brill xx

• Advertisement

Hi Chip1234.

wait can i ask are <snip> doing this for all women with bad implants or pip or just for the women that went to <snip> im confused ? xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 coh123

Well done on the article Jean08 and thank you for bringing it to light. It is so wrong that the only way to get an answer out of the <snip> is to go to the media.

Do you mind if I keep up to date with you, you seem to be the only other girl as well as myself from <snip> operated on in <snip>.
    I've an appointment with Avril in Lavelle Coleman Solicitors, she seems to be very informative with all this.

Chip
    That is a great idea of the bullet points on your clinic.

The Harley Medical Group
    have just put up a statement on their english web site

http://www.harleymedical.ie/breast-enlargement-pip-implant-patient-advice/index.php

Hi kyra I also got my done in mulling at so maybe we should keep each other up to date! I only received my letter yesterday to say that I may have the pip implants! I have requested confirmation but by the posts I think I will need to get through on the phone before I can get anywhere! I'm going to go tomorrow to get referral for scan as I need piece of mind! <snip> are charging 145eur for scan! If this is any help! Please keep me informed of ur progress!

<snip>
    Yes definitely we will try to stick together let me know how u get on today with ur solicitor and i think i will ring mine again il let u kbow how it goes

coh123 wrote: »
    Hi kyra I also got my done in mulling at so maybe we should keep each other up to date! I only received my letter yesterday to say that I may have the pip implants! I have requested confirmation but by the posts I think I will need to get through on the phone before I can get anywhere! I'm going to go tomorrow to get referral for scan as I need piece of mind! Blackrock clinic are charging 145eur for scan! If this is any help! Please keep me informed of ur progress!

Hi Ladies,

Did you all see the statement on the Harley Medical Group web site last night? Did any one tell Saulite? Jumped up out of bed this morning when i remembered her saying she was with <snip> also, bloody internet has been down so only on now.

Am also off for a scan (in <snip>) tonight, Also have an appointment with <snip> to have consultation with their surgeon about my options (ie having them out and now replaced/ having them out and replaced) Also want to see what implants they use.

I will give you all an update later.

Well done to all the PIP girls out there, god know this isnt easy. And from me A huge thank you to the very brave english and irish ladies who have gone public and made us hear. You are all very brave.

Has any one been in contact with Saulite? Can anyone contact her?

Saulite,

I don;t know if you have seen this but last night The Harley Medical Group has this statement up.

They are removing and replacing pip ruptured implants six years or less old for FREE.

If your implants are over six years old they will still remove them for free.

I remeber you saying in a post that you are also HMG. I don't know if you have just had enough of them and don t want them near you but I just did want to think that the only way of this was a huge bill. The web site has a phone number and they are trying to get women in asap.

I m so sorry not contacting you earlier it only can out late last night. I have been thinking of you all night got up this morning and my internet has been down. I hope you get this before you have to pay for your surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Pippy12

Hi girls,
    Does anybody know of a clinic outside of Dublin that are doing ultrasounds? I have contacted private clinics in Limerick and in Cork and neither perform these checks on breasts?

Saulite,

I don;t know if you have seen this but last night The Harley Medical Group has this statement up.

They are removing and replacing pip ruptured implants six years or less old for FREE.

I remeber you saying in a post that you are also HMG. I don't know if you have just had enough of them and don t want them near you but I just did want to think that the only way of this was a huge bill. The web site has a phone number and they are trying to get women in asap.

I m so sorry not contacting you earlier it only can out late last night. I have been thinking of you all night got up this morning and my internet has been down. I hope you get this before you have to pay for your surgery
    Kyra finally got confirmation today that i have the pip implants spoke to a lovely girl in hmg dublin called linda i also asked her about tje scans in <snip> and she said she hadnt heard bak yet but wud let me know when they fin out hav u been to the solicitor yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭saulite

Saulite,

Hi , thankyou so much for thinking of me , I already confirmed my surgery with <snip> . I don't want <snip> to go near me, I don't trust them, I only had my implants since may 2007 !!!
    I met Avril from Lavelle Coleman this morning and I will sue <snip> . She is really lovely and I trust her 100% that she will fight for us till the end ! Thanks again for thinking of me !! We all have to stay strong and have some patience even if its so hard !!

Hi Girls,

I also got my implants done in <snip>. Im waiting on my scan before deciding what to do.Is the mri scan safe to get done when pregnant do any of u's know, just my just almost 6 months pregnant. <snip> said i can safely have it done but can i really take his word for it??? my babys safety comes first

Hi Shellbabe, sorry for not replying sooner, you must be up the wall. Try not to panic though, he's given you his word that you'll be safe and your baby too. After making a promise like that to you, he'd be put in prison for lieing so I'm trusting he's genuine.
    Generally you must inform the radiographer that you're pregnant first of all. For your own peace of mind, ring <snip> and ask for radiology. Explain you've been referred by <snip> and somebody there will answer all your questions for you. They were very nice in that clinic and no messing/waiting around for results, they'll tell you there and then after your scan. Then it's decision time for you then, if you've no ruptures and chances are you haven't if he's examined you, I'm sure like most of us you'll want answers and solutions that won't cost you anything. When is your scan in <snip>, please let us know how you get on. Try focus on looking after yourself now and your family, and indeed your little one, I feel good can only come out of a bad situation for us all. ;)

Saulite,

Good news for Harley patients then, glad to see they're finally stepping up and taking responsibility. In fairnesss they should replace any over 6 years old also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 trickyvicky

Hi Girls, Looks like you have all been doing great homework. I have not logged on in quite a while so am way behind this. I got my implants in <snip> who went bust years ago. I do know my implants were from Eurosilicone in France but that is all I know. Anyone else have their implants done by <snip> and if so how did you go about finding out if we are safe with these particular implants?? Would really appreciate any info you might have or what steps to take from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sue103

coh123 wrote: »
    Hi kyra I also got my done in mulling at so maybe we should keep each other up to date! I only received my letter yesterday to say that I may have the pip implants! I have requested confirmation but by the posts I think I will need to get through on the phone before I can get anywhere! I'm going to go tomorrow to get referral for scan as I need piece of mind! <snip> are charging 145eur for scan! If this is any help! Please keep me informed of ur progress!

Hi Kyra, I got mine done in <snip> in 2006 as well, I have seen my GP and she thinks that they aren't ruptured but I have an appointment tomorrow in <snip> for an Ultrasound, then I'm going from there to <snip> for a consultation about getting these out and replaced I can't wait any longer. I have 4 small children and can't take the risk. I will let you know how I get on at both, I also contact Lavelle Coleman Solicitors who are going to get my medical records from <snip> and <snip> so hopefully they can do something.

Hi Chip1234.

Hi There,

I do feel releived..and i absolutely agree with you on the Payment issue.
    But Marguerite after a month of worry, stress and not knowing what will happen, i feel the solution is there if we want it.

This doesnt mean letting the clinic off the hook, but it does give you, me and the other "<snip>" girls a choice on next steps....

It is our decision on what happens next..the <snip> girls or <snip>, dont have those choices open to them...

Our health and well being is the most important thing here, and our working and family lives have been disrupted enuf...

Compensation/ recompense can be dealt with at a later stage, by the professionals...

I hope your ok, dont worry too much about scan.. keep in touch xx

Pixiejane wrote: »
    Hi Chip,
    Is there any safe, high quality implant indeed? Have a look at Poppygal's post earlier today, she has a link to a blog site about implants, makes for interesting reading by a surgeon apparently but he doesn't give him real identity, but seems to have plenty of knowledge. Can we really trust that surgeon again? Apparently surgeons were made aware of the potential problems with PIPS a few years ago, so why was nothing done back then, would have saved us all a lot of heartbreak and anxiety. <snip> are providing some support and some solutions, and so they should. It's their duty and the duty of the surgeon. However to charge us again just adds insult to injury, what do you do if you haven't got the money for that. And hello the cheapest implant on the market that were used on us, I think none of us paid a cheap price to have them done.
    Good luck next week with your scan and your consultation too. Bring someone with you Chip, partner husband, for support, you'll need it. Be firm and positive about what you want, and how defective product never meant for the human body was put into you and you're not happy about it. Furthermore no letter was ever sent out by <snip> to inform us all of the recall of these implants or to inform us of the closure of the French manufacturer. As a supplier/distributor of PIP implants, <snip> and the surgeon should own up to their responsibilities and correct their wrong. I'm sorry for waffling on here, but I'm so adamant that we should not have to fork out for their incompetency. We are human beings and need to be treated accordingly.

Hi thanks for taking the time to reply... your not waffling at all but you do sound very like my husband!!!!!
    Of course your right, but what can we do? Its going to take months for any legal proceedings, and we cant have this hanging over us..
    The legal advice i received was , to get them done if possible but that my case wold still be included in any case brought.

I just think we are a bit "luckier" than some of the other poor girls..no support or backup..
    The difficulty now is what the feck do we replace them with??
    That article Poppygal sent frightened the life out of me!!!!

What you think???

Hi Girls,

I also got my implants done in <snip>. Im waiting on my scan before deciding what to do.Is the mri scan safe to get done when pregnant do any of u's know, just my just almost 6 months pregnant. <snip> said i can safely have it done but can i really take his word for it??? my babys safety comes first

Dear Shellbabe

Congrats on your baby news!! Please dont worry, the scan is an ultrasound and not harmfull for baby..
    I think the doctor would have to be 100% honest with you...Have the ultrasound, if all is ok with implants, just forget about it till after baby is born...

Thats would be my advice, for what its worth. x

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lillzo

Hi Girls, Looks like you have all been doing great homework. I have not logged on in quite a while so am way behind this. I got my implants in <snip> who went bust years ago. I do know my implants were from Eurosilicone in France but that is all I know. Anyone else have their implants done by <snip> and if so how did you go about finding out if we are safe with these particular implants?? Would really appreciate any info you might have or what steps to take from here.

hi i had mine done in <snip> in 2005, i have eurosilicone to. as far as i know we should be ok. pip are in the news as they were made from industrial grade silicone and passed off as medical grade, making them easier to split or rupture. check out eurosilicones website u should get all the info u need on it. we were just very lucky <snip> werent using pip and we werent put through the mill like most of the women here. did u get ur medical records from the liquaditors? im waiting for mine i sent the letter off a couple of days ago. found what implants i have from implant suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kiwi_real

Hi,
    I was contacted today by <snip> to inform me I have Poly Implant Prosthese (PIP) implants. I had been under the impression that all clients affected by PIP implants had already been contacted by now. <snip> informed me that they are only contacting patients now. I then asked had a letter being sent to my home address and they stated they did not. My home address and telephone number has not changed from the details that the currently posses. From their website, they claim all patients affected were contacted and scanned in March 2010; however this is not the case.
    I am booked for an appointment next week with the surgeon who performed the procedure, however I will need a referral for a scan from the surgeon and all scans are being conducted in <snip>.
    Has anyone who had their surgery in <snip> had their scan done yet?? Has anyone had any ruptures? Its impossible to get info off Irish websites.
    Notice!
    River Medical purchased the Clane Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in July 2011, prior to our purchase a small number of Clane Cosmetic Surgery patients received PIP implants. Once the implants were recalled in March 2010 all patients that received PIP implants were contacted and scanned.If you have any concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.

Hi there Kiwi,
    <snip> sent out a letter in Nov 2010 advising those with PIP's that those particular implants were susceptible to ruptures. They forgot to mention any problems the company P.I.P. were having at the time, or indeed that there had been a global recall of those implants in March 2010. Fairly important information to leave out of the letter don't you think?:mad: I did receive the letter, and they also mentioned if a person wasn't having any problems with their implants, they shouldn't worry. At the time, I wasn't having any problems and so put it to the back of my mind. So they're not only informing patients now! Incompetency on their behalf only getting in touch with you now. All patients were not scanned either.
    I've had my scan, no ruptures but still remain very unhappy and anxious about the whole thing.

Hi thanks for taking the time to reply... your not waffling at all but you do sound very like my husband!!!!!
    Of course your right, but what can we do? Its going to take months for any legal proceedings, and we cant have this hanging over us..
    The legal advice i received was , to get them done if possible but that my case wold still be included in any case brought.

I just think we are a bit "luckier" than some of the other poor girls..no support or backup..
    The difficulty now is what the feck do we replace them with??
    That article Poppygal sent frightened the life out of me!!!!

What you think???

No problem Chip, haha so I sound like your hubby then:rolleyes:well he sounds like a straight talking man who is just looking out for your best interests and safety I'm sure. I really understand where you're coming from and most definitely agree with everything you're saying, but as days and weeks have gone on since the breaking news on 20th December 2011, I think slowly there is progress being made. I know we have some support from <snip>, and you know what, I wouldn't expect anything less, but we have been much more fortunate that most women out there. We've had consultations and ultrasounds with no problems and no cost to ourselves. But look at the <snip> situation now, offering to remove/replace anyone with ruptures (is that right <snip> girls?) which is what <snip> are offering, but the real problem is even those women with no ruptures still don't feel safe in their own bodies.
    The legal advice you got, was it to go back to your original clinic or go somewhere else and then reclaim the cost further down the line? I agree with you that the legal thing may take a considerable amount of time alright, and in the meantime we all just want to return to normal life with our families and put this nightmare behind us. In principal, we should not have to cough up any more money, sure who has that kind of money in their piggy bank anymore?
    With regard to replacements, the surgeon in <snip> is currently using Eurosilicone implants as is <snip> where he also practices. I also read the article Poppygal mentioned as well and am more confused than ever also. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 021tanya

Hey ladies,
    I would just like to say thanks a million for sharing all info,as it seems this is all we have!! As I have said in earlier pages I had implants 2005 in <snip> who have since closed their doors... I have been nearly obsessed with 'boards' the last week but at the same time ignoring the fact that it might be me but yesterday I have finally started the process of finding out... I rang lavelle Coleman and she advised to be gettin them out ASAP, while on the phone to her I missed a call from imb and when I returned the call I was told that they are pretty sure <snip> were not using pip until after 2007( relief)... Then picked up echo( local paper ) and u can imagine my shock when I read a headline about a ladie who had implants 2006 in <snip> and they have recently ruptured... Jesus I wish we could get some straight answers... I so angry that imb are giving out wrong info!!!! I have delivered a letter requesting my files, to <snip> today, seemingly they still collect their post, and it will take about 3 weeks before I find out, 3WEEKS, what a joke...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement