Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: IEC 2012 Now Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Hitch11 wrote: »
    Hi there , just wondering could somebody clarify something for me.
    A few months ago i received an email from the IEC titled 'Welcome - Bienvenue' and attached was a letter in PDF format stating that 'You have received your Letter of Introduction from the Citizenship and Immegration Canada....'. However it never actually says that this is the LOI itself?
    Does anyone what the deal is here, is it the LOI of should i have been sent an additional email/letter? This is for the 2012 IEC.

Thanks for any help!

Fascinating!! LOI stands for letter of introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hitch11

NoelAPM wrote: »
    Hi there , just wondering could somebody clarify something for me.
    A few months ago i received an email from the IEC titled 'Welcome - Bienvenue' and attached was a letter in PDF format stating that 'You have received your Letter of Introduction from the Citizenship and Immegration Canada....'. However it never actually says that this is the LOI itself?
    Does anyone what the deal is here, is it the LOI of should i have been sent an additional email/letter? This is for the 2012 IEC.

Thanks for any help!

Fascinating!! LOI stands for letter of introduction.

So what are u Gettin at?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

So what are u Gettin at?

That email you got was indeed your LOI. So you print it out and take it with you for going through customs. When you heading over?

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    So what are u Gettin at?

That email you got was indeed your LOI. So you print it out and take it with you for going through customs. When you heading over?

Brilliant thanks! Heading to Vancouver next week

Nice one! I'm heading there end of September. Booking flights this weekend but they bloody went up again, was gonna get them for €490 one way but now looking like €657 :/

I'll keep searching over the next2 days though might get lucky!

• Advertisement

Nice one! I'm heading there end of September. Booking flights this weekend but they bloody went up again, was gonna get them for €490 one way but now looking like €657 :/

I'll keep searching over the next2 days though might get lucky!

Yeah we ended up paying about 600 for the flights one way. There were cheaper options but the stop over times were insane , like 10 -15 hours!

What field of work are you hoping to get into over there?

Yeah we ended up paying about 600 for the flights one way. There were cheaper options but the stop over times were insane , like 10 -15 hours!

What field of work are you hoping to get into over there?

Yeah I don't want to have long stop over times as I'm bringing a pet with me but seems aer lingus only does a certain flight to Vancouver that has a long stop over time :/

Oh I'll only be working in hospitality but there is a pilot visa scheme which could see me get a permanent residency out of it. I'll be finding the nearest immigration place once I land and figuring things out with them about every possible option.

Gonna print out a few copies of the LOI and have one in handbag, hand luggage, checked luggage and give one to my mate just to be sure I don't lose it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dunphyh

actually that email which 'Hitch 11' quoted is NOT your 'Letter of Introduction' - it's just a welcome email from IEC ! You should have received another email prior to this from CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) - there's a sample of this earlier in this thread. see post #1442 from JD83 back on page 97.

Oh actually you are right just re-read my emails. But that email you got definitely means you have your LOI so check your emails again. My LOI was sent on the 21st and the Welcome email on the 24th so it should only be a few days difference when you look back. Should say this in it

"Your application to study or work in Canada has been approved.
    Your study or work permit will be issued to you upon arrival in Canada, subject to your compliance with the
    requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its Regulations. It will allow you to study or
    work in Canada for a temporary period only. Read the terms and conditions carefully. blah blah personal details blah blah

To facilitate your arrival in Canada, inform the officer of the reason for your visit (study or work) and present this
    letter with your passport. blah blah"

Blah is not their official wording of course :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭RootsCanada

Hi there,
    I'm currently in Canada on my first IEC Visa.
    I have a work contract for 3 years so I'll need to renew my visa for next year.

My questions are, if anyone knows:

1. Do I definitely have to go home to submit my application?
    2. Can I stay and work on my existing visa until July next year and hope by then, my new one will have come through?
    3. I'm 35, has anyone here, applied for it at the age of 35, before turning 36? Any trouble/advice etc?

Many thanks,

RootsCanada!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Hi there,
    I'm currently in Canada on my first IEC Visa.
    I have a work contract for 3 years so I'll need to renew my visa for next year.

My questions are, if anyone knows:

1. Do I definitely have to go home to submit my application?
    No, you can send your application from Canada. A lot cheaper too :D

2. Can I stay and work on my existing visa until July next year and hope by then, my new one will have come through?
    If your visa runs until July next year then you can stay til then? Visas should be available in December/January so if you apply immediately then you should have no problem (I'd try and get a Garda Cert now if that's the case)

I'm pretty sure that if, in the very unlikely scenario, you don't have your new visa approved within 6-7 months you can stay on the basis that your visa is being processed. You just need to clear it with your local immigration office.

3. I'm 35, has anyone here, applied for it at the age of 35, before turning 36? Any trouble/advice etc?
    As long as you've sent your application before you're 36 then you should be fine, hopefully you're not 36 in December/January because that could complicate things!

Many thanks,

RootsCanada!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭RootsCanada

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your reply.
    I'm turning 36 in March, so I'm hopeful that I'll be in on time.

Now I'm working with a guy who is going home next week as he has to reapply from home soil, so that's a bit curious. He swears that we have to go home.

He also said that once it's a continuation, you don't need a second police report.
    I'm wondering then, would you get a canadian one seeing at that is the place you've recently resided?

Sorry, I'm more questions than answers, but this entire process is so open to misinformation, it's a nuisance really.

Cheers again,

RootsCanada!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your reply.
    I'm turning 36 in March, so I'm hopeful that I'll be in on time.
    Should be fine

Now I'm working with a guy who is going home next week as he has to reapply from home soil, so that's a bit curious. He swears that we have to go home.
    Is this guy Irish? You definitely do not need to go home! You can send the application from Canada, I'm not sure as to any reason you'd need to go home? You have to leave the country and come back to activate the visa but that is as simple as crossing the border into the USA and turning around again? You can even put your Canadian address as your residential/mailing address

He also said that once it's a continuation, you don't need a second police report.
    It is not a continuation, you are applying for a brand new visa. The IEC does not allow you to extend your IEC visa under any circumstances, you must apply for a second.

I'm wondering then, would you get a canadian one seeing at that is the place you've recently resided?
    Not sure on this but you will definitely need a Garda Cert, I think if you've been in Canada for more than 6 months you will need a Canadian police cert but maybe someone else can confirm this? (Just checked this and you do not need a cert for Canada, just Ireland, unless you lived somewhere else for 6 months in which case you'll have to get a police cert from them again)

Sorry, I'm more questions than answers, but this entire process is so open to misinformation, it's a nuisance really.
    Tell me about it!

Cheers again,

RootsCanada!

The FAQ on the IEC website answered a lot of questions for me

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx?view=d#Repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 16 noodle24

Hi, I am off to Vancouver in December and currently pricing flights. Is it ok to book a one way flight or do we have to show a return flight to immigration?

noodle24 wrote: »
    Hi, I am off to Vancouver in December and currently pricing flights. Is it ok to book a one way flight or do we have to show a return flight to immigration?

You can buy a one way flight but you have to have the price of a flight home on top of your set money in the bank. Makes them happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

Hi guys,

So due to an oversight from me not noticing it earlier, I seem to have not received my LOI. I have a 'IEC Eligible' email followed by a 'Welcome' email with nothing in between.

I leave in a couple of days.

Any suggestions?

EDIT:

I just read the page before this, where someone else has the same issue. If the welcome letter is indeed the LOI, it is quite different to the 2011 letter I received.

EDIT #2: Aaaaaand problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nicola2805

Hi. I am intending to apply for the IEC 2013 programme, which I understand won't open until Dec 2012/Jan 2012. I want to get out there sooner and have a friend in Vancouver I can stay with who has offered for me to go out in October. My question is:

Has anyone applied for the IEC as a 'visitor' in Canada? It says on the form if you are not applying from your country of residence then you have to show proof of your status in the country you are applying from. How do you show proof of visitor status in canada since you do not need any kind of visa to be a visitor their if you are british? I just want to make sure that if I apply from Canada as a visitor that it won't cause any issues with my application!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jj22uk

Hi guys,

Quick question...

My IEC visa is set to run out in a couple of weeks. I have a flight booked in the states (to LA from Buffalo), and then a flight from LA back home to the UK.

The question is... How is it looked upon if I were to overstay my working IEC visa by a few days? Is it advisable to "flagpole" between the Canadian/US border and return to Canada on a "visitors visa" (so to speak)? I have stopped working weeks ago, and am currently just wrapping things up (bank accounts, credit cards, packing etc..) before I return back home to the UK.

I should also note that I now I have a new passport, that no longer has my IEC visa attached. I've since been in and out of Canada on this new passport, and been stamped.

Can someone give me any guidance as on what action to take? Should there be any trouble when entering the US? Can US borders see when I officially entered Canada on my working visa? It is literally the difference of a couple days..

I'm a little stressed out about the whole situation.

Hope someone can help!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭orgaz

Hey Toni

I was starting to freak out completley untill I came accross your post!

I am passed the 6 weeks waiting time and I emailed IEC and they sent me that exact mail you got, THANK GOD!! Coz I was panicing and I thought there was a problem or an issue with my application :(

Im going to submit my query now, hopefully I get visa like you did or a response at least. This whole thing is a completle nightmare and im currently in Canada waiting on visa to come through so I can do a boarder run to Niagra...

Thank you, hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel :)

Don't worry that's EXACTLY what happened with me :)

I got the same response and went onto the CIC link thingy. Submit the query but be nice and professional about it ;) In the space to put your number there isn't enough room for the whole thing so just include the last 10 figures leave out dashes. In the box where you ask yer question type your application number in full along with asking about the current status of your application.

The response will be an automated one saying they may or may not reply to you within 28 depending on your application timeline. The recommended timeline for applications is 8 weeks so if you passed that time(I was at 10 weeks) then they will respond at some point. You can only submit that inquiry ONCE. You can't keep messaging them about it as they will not respond and probably not like ya :pac:

After sending mine two days later I got my email saying I'd been granted the visa. Just be nice and courteous in your question about your status and ye be grand! :D

Oz is a completely different country can't really compare the two...plus they let in anyone with no criminal background checks which is basically a bit silly of them :pac: They tightening up now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Hey folks ,

From reading the thread the next batch of visas become available in December / January .

Does this mean the process only begins in December / January , meaning a wait until around February or March before you actually have the visa , or the process beginning around October , with the visa being ISSUED in December/Jan??

Apologies if this sounds retarded but I'm looking to head to States first on a 3 month holiday visa , and wish to plan accordingly.

Also, If I were to go the States first , can the whole application process be done from there??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

The process will OPEN around December, meaning your looking at March ish earliest before your visa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

hdowney wrote: »
    The process will OPEN around December, meaning your looking at March ish earliest before your visa

Cheers thanks :)

orgaz wrote: »
    Hey Toni

I was starting to freak out completley untill I came accross your post!

I am passed the 6 weeks waiting time and I emailed IEC and they sent me that exact mail you got, THANK GOD!! Coz I was panicing and I thought there was a problem or an issue with my application :(

Im going to submit my query now, hopefully I get visa like you did or a response at least. This whole thing is a completle nightmare and im currently in Canada waiting on visa to come through so I can do a boarder run to Niagra...

Thank you, hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel :)

Glad I gave you some peace of mind! Hopefully you hear back from them or they get to your application. Didn't realise folks were still waiting!

How has your time in Canada been so far? What part are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭orgaz

Glad I gave you some peace of mind! Hopefully you hear back from them or they get to your application. Didn't realise folks were still waiting!

How has your time in Canada been so far? What part are you in?

Hey Toni

Sorry I only seen this post now. Im currently in Toronto, this is my second year applying for IEC i just made it under the 18months rule, applied right at the end just before cut off IEC processed my application fine, paid my fee etc and its in Stage 2 now nearly 7 weeks :/ sucks! Last year was soo much faster, I have emailed CIC last week and in the automated response they said Id hear back in 28 days, its a week now, BUT staying positive and hopefully I hear soon, or im screwed lol

So far so good here, Love it and hope to stay as long as I can, just need this visa so I can apply for other options then. What part are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shellyennis

Can anyone who is on their second year visa give me some advice. Im currently on my 1st year iec visa and i want to apply for my second year when it opens, Im from ireland and on the iec website the only form that it showed from last year are for applying for a work permit within ireland. is there different forms to apply with from within canada. I know im ahead of myself just want to have my ducks in line for when it does open in dec/jan so i dont send off the wrong forms and mess up my chances of second year visa!! any help/advice would be great thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

Also, hows everyone going about getting their Garda certs?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JCJames

Can anyone who is on their second year visa give me some advice. Im currently on my 1st year iec visa and i want to apply for my second year when it opens, Im from ireland and on the iec website the only form that it showed from last year are for applying for a work permit within ireland. is there different forms to apply with from within canada. I know im ahead of myself just want to have my ducks in line for when it does open in dec/jan so i dont send off the wrong forms and mess up my chances of second year visa!! any help/advice would be great thanks :-)

Hey there! Like you I am on my 1st year visa, IEC 2012 from the UK. I started in July this year so still have a while to go before I need to get my 2nd year sorted.

Anyways, don't take this as gospel but so far from my understanding, to do a 2nd year IEC, you have to apply entirely from scratch. That's to say, you just have to pretend you've never been to Canada and fill in exactly the same application package.

As you may remember, there is a part in the application package where you can state you're already in Canada, and I'd also probably note down somewhere you are on IEC 2012.

Also as for applying, you will have to send your application over to where you did last time. I'm fairly sure of this as for this year's visa, I was already in Canada as a tourist. I filled in my application and posted it back over to the Canada offices in London, and received my LoA via email.

I'm still looking into alternative ways of getting a 2nd year. I found an application for 'extended stay in Canada' that requires you to have a job offer from someone. But through word of mouth this seems like a paperwork heavy process, and you also have to get your boss to show they absolutely need you, no one else in the area can do the job, and that the job was advertised publicly.

All a bit of a crazy mission at the moment but I'm still researching. Keep us in the know if you find anything! But hope this helps a little :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shellyennis

JCJames wrote: »

Hey there! Like you I am on my 1st year visa, IEC 2012 from the UK. I started in July this year so still have a while to go before I need to get my 2nd year sorted.

Anyways, don't take this as gospel but so far from my understanding, to do a 2nd year IEC, you have to apply entirely from scratch. That's to say, you just have to pretend you've never been to Canada and fill in exactly the same application package.

As you may remember, there is a part in the application package where you can state you're already in Canada, and I'd also probably note down somewhere you are on IEC 2012.

Also as for applying, you will have to send your application over to where you did last time. I'm fairly sure of this as for this year's visa, I was already in Canada as a tourist. I filled in my application and posted it back over to the Canada offices in London, and received my LoA via email.

I'm still looking into alternative ways of getting a 2nd year. I found an application for 'extended stay in Canada' that requires you to have a job offer from someone. But through word of mouth this seems like a paperwork heavy process, and you also have to get your boss to show they absolutely need you, no one else in the area can do the job, and that the job was advertised publicly.

All a bit of a crazy mission at the moment but I'm still researching. Keep us in the know if you find anything! But hope this helps a little :)

Thanks very much James, ill be home at Christmas must look at what I filled out last year and go from there. The other option is a LMO but Jesus they are hard to come by with employers here. If I find out anything ill post it on here :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

What province are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 JCJames

A question for anyone who:

- Has done 2 years of the IEC program
    - Was required to do fingerprint background Police checks for their IEC Application

So I am currently on my first year, IEC 2012. I had to obtain 3 background police checks during my application due to the process rule that you must do so if you've lived in any country (for more than 6 months) in the last 10 years.

For me this was the UK (my homeland), Australia and the US.

Q. Now that I'm gonig to be applying for my 2nd year IEC, do I have to re-apply for these checks all over again? I ask this because it was such a hassle in getting these, not to mention the cost, and furthermore I've been in Canada the whole year!

Any help, much appreciated. :)

Advertisement