Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: IEC 2012 Now Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Nolan14

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Nolan14 wrote: »
    would a mini statement just do then like cos i might not get the full statement within in the 1 week limit like they ask for also i dont see the harm in bringing cash i mean i am gonna keep it well safe with me like i am just pissed off over it i really dont see the point in it and they should give u more then a week to get it!

Just ring or talk to the ones in your bank about how you will need a bank statement during this certain week before you fly out. They can have it all prepared for ya I'd say. It's not that big a deal and it's NOT a good idea to carry around that much cash. The amount of eyes that will be on you when you hand over that wad of cash for them to count.....something could easily happen to it after you get through customs!

Yea I understand its not a good idea to carry cash I was told by my cousin who lives over there to bring cash also they brought cash when they went and had no problems what so ever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Yea I understand its not a good idea to carry cash I was told by my cousin who lives over there to bring cash also they brought cash when they went and had no problems what so ever

Well yeah I've brought big amounts of cash with me too into certain countries but it's not worth the hassle. You are constantly stressed and worried sick about it possibly being taken, just too much aggro. That's good it worked for them and there's every chance it could work for you too. But there's also every chance that you will be the exception and get robbed and not even realise it :p

Depending on which flight you get(most seem to stop off in London before going straight to Canada) and where you live in the country this is probably gonna be your journey:

-Car/Bus run to airport
    -Hanging about airport for at least an hour before getting through security
    -Hanging about waiting to board flight
    -Flight over to London
    -Hanging about another few hours for your connecting flight to Canada
    -Flight to Canada
    -Getting luggage and heading to customs

There's gonna be a lot of shuffling and bustling about being surrounded and hurried along by thousands of folks. Loads of opportunities to rob ya :p

Naaaa think I'll definitely stick with only $100 on me to be safe, keep the rest in the bank! :D

Well yeah I've brought big amounts of cash with me too into certain countries but it's not worth the hassle. You are constantly stressed and worried sick about it possibly being taken, just too much aggro. That's good it worked for them and there's every chance it could work for you too. But there's also every chance that you will be the exception and get robbed and not even realise it :p

Depending on which flight you get(most seem to stop off in London before going straight to Canada) and where you live in the country this is probably gonna be your journey:

-Car/Bus run to airport
    -Hanging about airport for at least an hour before getting through security
    -Hanging about waiting to board flight
    -Flight over to London
    -Hanging about another few hours for your connecting flight to Canada
    -Flight to Canada
    -Getting luggage and heading to customs

There's gonna be a lot of shuffling and bustling about being surrounded and hurried along by thousands of folks. Loads of opportunities to rob ya :p

Naaaa think I'll definitely stick with only $100 on me to be safe, keep the rest in the bank! :D

That's what you call an answer ha ha cheers pal :D Ahm yea my flight is from Dublin were I live to chicago then to Canada I will be wearing jeans with my wallet in a button up pocket in front of my jeans and you can't get 3grand taken off you the maximum you can take before it starts to get suspicious is 20 grand!!! Apart from the risk of getting robbed etc would I be just fine bringing the cash???

That's what you call an answer ha ha cheers pal :D Ahm yea my flight is from Dublin were I live to chicago then to Canada I will be wearing jeans with my wallet in a button up pocket in front of my jeans and you can't get 3grand taken off you the maximum you can take before it starts to get suspicious is 20 grand!!! Apart from the risk of getting robbed etc would I be just fine bringing the cash???

That was me being good and not going into too much detail ha :pac:

Well actually you can being in large amounts of cash to either the USA or Canada but if it's over $10,000 you HAVE to declare it on those forms you fill out on the plane. If you didn't and they found out they can easily confiscate the whole lot :eek:

You are one determined feicer :D To answer your question about the cash part I honestly don't know as it only makes reference to having the funds in your bank account and having a statement that verifies that. From the FAQ on the canadainternational website it states this:

" Applicants must now confirm on the IEC Application & Declarations Form by ticking the appropriate box on the Declaration form that you will have sufficient funds (at least C$2,500) in your bank account to support yourself financially upon your arrival in Canada.On your arrival in Canada, you must have a statement from your bank account that must have been issued no more than one (1) week before your departure for Canada. It must clearly demonstrate you have sufficient funds in your account to support yourself financially for the first three months of your stay in Canada (C$2,500)."

If you think of it like this the idea of the bank statement connects you to the cash as you are named in the statement. See there's nothing to say that the bundle of cash you have on you is yours and for all they know could easily belong to some mates at the back of the queue who lent it to ya, to help you get into the country. I'd be a very suspicious customs officer :pac:

That was me being good and not going into too much detail ha :pac:

Well actually you can being in large amounts of cash to either the USA or Canada but if it's over $10,000 you HAVE to declare it on those forms you fill out on the plane. If you didn't and they found out they can easily confiscate the whole lot :eek:

You are one determined feicer :D To answer your question about the cash part I honestly don't know as it only makes reference to having the funds in your bank account and having a statement that verifies that. From the FAQ on the canadainternational website it states this:

" Applicants must now confirm on the IEC Application & Declarations Form by ticking the appropriate box on the Declaration form that you will have sufficient funds (at least C$2,500) in your bank account to support yourself financially upon your arrival in Canada.On your arrival in Canada, you must have a statement from your bank account that must have been issued no more than one (1) week before your departure for Canada. It must clearly demonstrate you have sufficient funds in your account to support yourself financially for the first three months of your stay in Canada (C$2,500)."

If you think of it like this the idea of the bank statement connects you to the cash as you are named in the statement. See there's nothing to say that the bundle of cash you have on you is yours and for all they know could easily belong to some mates at the back of the queue who lent it to ya, to help you get into the country. I'd be a very suspicious customs officer :pac:

hahah i clearly never taught of that look i am 100% pissed off about this i personally dont wanna leave it here at home in the bank then have to go over with no cash and have to transfer it over like and wait god no's how many days for it to come threw then have to get it changed into candian dollers

• Advertisement

hahah i clearly never taught of that look i am 100% pissed off about this i personally dont wanna leave it here at home in the bank then have to go over with no cash and have to transfer it over like and wait god no's how many days for it to come threw then have to get it changed into candian dollers

How would you be leaving it at home though? You won't have to get it converted it will do that once it's in the Canada bank.

You will have your Irish card with you which should allow you to take money out of the ATMs over there, they nearly all do now. Have some cash on you though so you won't be stuck for food like! :pac:

You will have to talk to your bank anyway to let them know you will be wiring the money to a Canadian account within the next while. Or can't you do it all online yourself moving money betweens accounts? Might have to ask them that next time you in. Would cut out having to deal with them if you can do it yourself.

All you have to do then is set up a Canadian bank account(which you have to do anyway) when you get over. Quick call to your bank at home/you do it yourself and BOOM money handy converted into dollars in yer shiny new Canadaland bank :D:pac:

How would you be leaving it at home though? You won't have to get it converted it will do that once it's in the Canada bank.

You will have your Irish card with you which should allow you to take money out of the ATMs over there, they nearly all do now. Have some cash on you though so you won't be stuck for food like! :pac:

You will have to talk to your bank anyway to let them know you will be wiring the money to a Canadian account within the next while. Or can't you do it all online yourself moving money betweens accounts? Might have to ask them that next time you in. Would cut out having to deal with them if you can do it yourself.

All you have to do then is set up a Canadian bank account(which you have to do anyway) when you get over. Quick call to your bank at home/you do it yourself and BOOM money handy converted into dollars in yer shiny new Canadaland bank :D:pac:

Just been talking to my cousins fiancee there he said get ur statement and on the monday if you have it by then send him all my money online to his account online and then that'll be all in dollers for when i arrive in canda i have my statement stating my fiances and then he had my money in his account all i got to do is take it out in town next day and put it in my account thats it :D is that ok to do??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Just been talking to my cousins fiancee there he said get ur statement and on the monday if you have it by then send him all my money online to his account online and then that'll be all in dollers for when i arrive in canda i have my statement stating my fiances and then he had my money in his account all i got to do is take it out in town next day and put it in my account thats it :D is that ok to do??

Dunno depends on how well you get on with this cousin.
    but the theory is sound

red menace wrote: »
    Dunno depends on how well you get on with this cousin.
    but the theory is sound

Ha ha we get on well but he said if you do not get the statement on time just take your cash out and show it at immergration simple as that there is nothing you can do if you dont get it on time you have your money like!!

So what it all comes down to is what are my chances of getting threw with cash and no bank statement??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

this is ridiculous, do whatever you want, of course they'll let you through with cash

NoelAPM wrote: »
    this is ridiculous, do whatever you want, of course they'll let you through with cash

Alright man calm down no need to get bitchy about it reason I'm so cautious about this is this is 1st time going working abroad alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

Alright man calm down no need to get bitchy about it reason I'm so cautious about this is this is 1st time going working abroad alone.

Screen shot your online banking current account a day or two before you go and bring cash just in case.

At least then if the statement doesn't arrive they have some sort of proof of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

they don't ask for either cash or a bank statement anyway at immigration, but jesus christ, what's the big issue with walking into the bank and telling them you need a statement printed. they'll do it there and then

you can print it off your online banking whenever you like too. why are you making such an incredibly big deal about this

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moranorla

Apparently bank staff aren't supposed to print off bank statements in branches anymore but sometimes they do anyway... depends on the bank and the person who serves you. But I know with aib if u order a bank statement the balance shown will be as per your account balance on the day u order the statement and tgen u'll receive the actual statement in the post 3 days later.....then u can withdraw cash if u want

Please god no more posts about bank statements !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 skbehan

I had extra work too so included a second IMM1295 form with just extra work filled out and explained why in the email. Wanted to send exactly the same details electronically. Not sure if I should have but its what I done.

Also since I done that I got a email saying I was eligible and sent to CIC so hopefully it was ok!

Thanks for the advice :D I ended up sending 3 extra forms to cover my experience! Just got my phase 2 email today so fingers crossed! Have you heard anything since?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sillisome fiend

skbehan wrote: »
    I had extra work too so included a second IMM1295 form with just extra work filled out and explained why in the email. Wanted to send exactly the same details electronically. Not sure if I should have but its what I done.

Also since I done that I got a email saying I was eligible and sent to CIC so hopefully it was ok!

Thanks for the advice :D I ended up sending 3 extra forms to cover my experience! Just got my phase 2 email today so fingers crossed! Have you heard anything since?

Nothing since phase 2 email but going on other peoples timelines I would expect to be waiting another few weeks! I'll post when I hear anything :)

Nothing since phase 2 email but going on other peoples timelines I would expect to be waiting another few weeks! I'll post when I hear anything :)

The waiting is the worst part! Best of luck with it anyway! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sillisome fiend

skbehan wrote: »

The waiting is the worst part! Best of luck with it anyway! ;)

Got my visa at 7am!! So my timeline was only about 5-6weeks in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sduff05

Got my LOI at 8.10 this morning.
    My Timeline:
    Posted : 9 - May
    Notice of receipt : 17 - May
    Payment requested : 12 - June
    Payment Confirmation : 14 - June
    Second Phase : 15 - June
    LOI : 28 - June

Now just to get cheap flights and insurance :D

I worked out the average time people have been waiting on their LOI after being sent to the second stage is on average 16 days. Hope this helps some people.

• Advertisement

Got my visa at 7am!! So my timeline was only about 5-6weeks in total.

That's fantastic congrats!! :D Great to hear people are still getting visas!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mmmchoccy

Sent Visa on 21 May
    Recieved on 29 May
    Payment Request 14 June
    econd Phase 19 June
    LOI 27 June!!

Whole thing only took about 4 weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭snoopmadra

i wonder are they looking at the CVs attached and fast tracking more desirable ones?my buddy took 8 weeks,i took 9 and the missus took 4.5 weeks
    the missus is most skilled,buddy second most and myself the least skilled!!
    conspiracy theorist i am:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pollynat

Hi, wonder if anyone can help. Just received LOI for 2nd Year, happy days.. but, the pdf letter, is just a generic letter that states, you have been accepted to work or study in Canada, and to bring it to immigration etc, however, none of my personal details are on it.. my name, WTN, nothing... anyone else get same thing? Is it because I will already be on system? Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

pollynat wrote: »
    Hi, wonder if anyone can help. Just received LOI for 2nd Year, happy days.. but, the pdf letter, is just a generic letter that states, you have been accepted to work or study in Canada, and to bring it to immigration etc, however, none of my personal details are on it.. my name, WTN, nothing... anyone else get same thing? Is it because I will already be on system? Thanks in advance

Try opening it on a PC. It doesn't open properly on iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pollynat

Try opening it on a PC. It doesn't open properly on iPhone.

Thank you so much !! Simple as that :) looks good now, cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

Woohoo just got my LOI
    Sent Application: May 15th
    Arrived: May 18th
    Received Confirmation: May 23rd
    Payment Request: June 12th
    Paid & emailed application: June 13th
    Phase 2: June 15th
    LOI: June 29th

Delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Gigi_Glee

anyone else a bit nervous about the ulsterbank thing? havent been paid and cant get a statement...so a little bit snookered if they dont sort it by next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moranorla

Yay i got my LOI at 1.08am!!

My Timeline:
    Posted (in regular post): 8 - May
    Notice of receipt : 16 - May
    Payment requested : 11 - June
    Payment Confirmation : 13 - June
    Second Phase : 15 - June
    LOI : 29 - June

Wish I could go right now but have to save some money now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 sduff05

For anyone who is still to send off your electronic copy of the IMM1295 and has extra work experience pages.
    When I posted off all my forms I send one extra with work experience. When it came to the electronic version I only sent the one form because it said in the email not to send any supporting documentation so I took this to mean they only wanted the one page.
    This worked for me, I received my LOI this week, everyone else on here though seems to have sent off the extra forms . . . . SOOooooo I guess what i'm saying is there is no need to worry either way. Its all good.

Advertisement