Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: IEC 2012 Now Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JCJames

Hey All,

So here goes. Yesterday I guess I did what is known as 'Flagpoling': Walking from Canada over to the USA and back again (near Vancouver) in order to activate my IEC 2012 visa. The reason being I've been here on a tourist visa for almost 6 months already.

Anyways, whilst checking my actual visa papers I noticed something quite upsetting. Amongst not being permitted to work in Hospitals, or teach Primary/Secondary school children, it says NO AGRICULTURAL OCCUPATIONS.

I'd really like to get some work on a vineyard so I'm currently trying to look into this more. On this page it says if you've been in any of the listed countries 1 year prior to coming to Canada, you need a medical examination, and it turns out I don't.

But that still doesn't help with the fact that there's no info on why I can't work in Agriculture. I've done a good bit of googling and searching the main website to no avail. Next step is to email them...

but I thought I'd just ask on here too :)

anyone shed any light?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Never noticed anything about the agricultural jobs not being allowed? And what all comes under that heading exactly? You might get to do some form of outdoors work yet if you fish about for some more info.

My visa has been approved!!!!!!

:D

Congrats Toni!

I've sent an email query to the Visa office back in London so I'll give them another few days to reply.

It's just weird though no? Agricultural work should be way up there for backpacker/traveller type job. It is at least in a lot of other countries.

I've also heard a lot of things about tree planting in Canada. Anyone done this or going to do it? From what I know you have to apply around Christmas time in order to get a job for next year. The money is good but the work is tough. You always have to enjoy sleeping in a tent for quite a while. Sounds awesome to me :D

What you planning to do on your visa Toni?

JCJames wrote: »
    Congrats Toni!

I've sent an email query to the Visa office back in London so I'll give them another few days to reply.

It's just weird though no? Agricultural work should be way up there for backpacker/traveller type job. It is at least in a lot of other countries.

I've also heard a lot of things about tree planting in Canada. Anyone done this or going to do it? From what I know you have to apply around Christmas time in order to get a job for next year. The money is good but the work is tough. You always have to enjoy sleeping in a tent for quite a while. Sounds awesome to me :D

What you planning to do on your visa Toni?

Just thinking about it on Fair City two of the characters are heading off to Canada to do tree planting! Though of course being a soap they make it look easy and just plan to leave straight away no mention of waiting times and visas :pac:

Is it possible if you do a medical examination that will then allow you to do this work cause I know you can get a medical over there done no idea of costs though. Can understand them want a medical for working near kids or elderly...but how exactly could you infect a feicin tree :confused:

If the tree thing doesn't work then how about working at a ski lodge? You would be just as isolated and make great money as all yer bills(rent/food etc) all taken care of. Might be worth looking into.

I'm looking to the future and going to be applying for permanent residency as soon as I'm able too. As well as my second year visa as the permanent one takes about a year to process. Can only do either bar work or waitressing as that's all I'm able for under the conditions to get the permanent thing. Just focusing on that and if I manage by some luck to get it then I'll branch out and be able to try other types of work...like the ski lodge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Just thinking about it on Fair City two of the characters are heading off to Canada to do tree planting! Though of course being a soap they make it look easy and just plan to leave straight away no mention of waiting times and visas :pac:

Is it possible if you do a medical examination that will then allow you to do this work cause I know you can get a medical over there done no idea of costs though. Can understand them want a medical for working near kids or elderly...but how exactly could you infect a feicin tree :confused:

If the tree thing doesn't work then how about working at a ski lodge? You would be just as isolated and make great money as all yer bills(rent/food etc) all taken care of. Might be worth looking into.

I'm looking to the future and going to be applying for permanent residency as soon as I'm able too. As well as my second year visa as the permanent one takes about a year to process. Can only do either bar work or waitressing as that's all I'm able for under the conditions to get the permanent thing. Just focusing on that and if I manage by some luck to get it then I'll branch out and be able to try other types of work...like the ski lodge :D

Hey Tuds. Why can you only do bar/waitressing work? Also do you got a link to the info on the permanent visa yokimabob!

• Advertisement

hdowney wrote: »
    Hey Tuds. Why can you only do bar/waitressing work? Also do you got a link to the info on the permanent visa yokimabob!

All the reading you need is here---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
    Read all links and see what applies to you. There's various different types of visas depending on your educational level.

As I told ye before just keep googling everything that ye trying to find out and read all links I've already given you and you will be sorted!

All the reading you need is here---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
    Read all links and see what applies to you. There's various different types of visas depending on your educational level.

As I told ye before just keep googling everything that ye trying to find out and read all links I've already given you and you will be sorted!

Thank ya hun. I shall go lookieloo for the perm residency infos. :D Still trying to pick where to go :D

Oh aye, sounds like you've got a plan! good luck with it all. And I'll keep the ski lodge in mind too, thanks :)

It's crazy huh, took me 3 months officially, and 6 months unofficially to get my visa sorted out. And now I'm thinking about applying for year 2 already! Only just got that load off my mind... ahhhhhh.

JCJames wrote: »
    Oh aye, sounds like you've got a plan! good luck with it all. And I'll keep the ski lodge in mind too, thanks :)

It's crazy huh, took me 3 months officially, and 6 months unofficially to get my visa sorted out. And now I'm thinking about applying for year 2 already! Only just got that load off my mind... ahhhhhh.

It's best to think long term. :)

Doubt I'll settle in Canada but what's the point of doing 2 years and then coming home to go back on the dole(doubt Ireland will be fixed in 2 years:pac:). That's why I'm sorting all possible options now while I'm waiting to go over, they recommend you do that anyway as you have to have legal status the whole time during the processing of the permanent residency application. Even if my processing time runs passed the end of my 2 years there I'll transfer my status to tourist and get 6 months extra in the country.

Even if you don't go for the second year just get everything ready and sorted in time worth it if you change your mind.

Think permanent residency gives you 4 years and then you update it or something...know it gives you few years anyway. Even if I don't use them all it would be good to be able to have the option of staying on working sorted :)

Good luck with it all yourself :D If we get the Canada forum and I sort a beers night out for Vancouver Boardsies ya better drag yer arse along! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Well, apparently the "IEC Team" can't tell me the status of my application even though they told me in the letter to contact their email if I hadn't heard anything within 6 weeks of being passed onto the second phase??

It's been 7 weeks now and they've fobbed me off to the "Citizenship and Immigration Canada website at the address below for more information and to locate a section where you can submit a formal inquiry to the Visa Section directly"

This is getting beyond a joke! Friend of mine applied for his Oz visa last Tuesday and has it already!

At least the weather here has gotten a bit better!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

leggit wrote: »
    Well, apparently the "IEC Team" can't tell me the status of my application even though they told me in the letter to contact their email if I hadn't heard anything within 6 weeks of being passed onto the second phase??

It's been 7 weeks now and they've fobbed me off to the "Citizenship and Immigration Canada website at the address below for more information and to locate a section where you can submit a formal inquiry to the Visa Section directly"

This is getting beyond a joke! Friend of mine applied for his Oz visa last Tuesday and has it already!

IEC determine eligibility
    The CIC actually grants you the visa so that why you were sent to the CIC

Don't worry that's EXACTLY what happened with me :)

I got the same response and went onto the CIC link thingy. Submit the query but be nice and professional about it ;) In the space to put your number there isn't enough room for the whole thing so just include the last 10 figures leave out dashes. In the box where you ask yer question type your application number in full along with asking about the current status of your application.

The response will be an automated one saying they may or may not reply to you within 28 depending on your application timeline. The recommended timeline for applications is 8 weeks so if you passed that time(I was at 10 weeks) then they will respond at some point. You can only submit that inquiry ONCE. You can't keep messaging them about it as they will not respond and probably not like ya :pac:

After sending mine two days later I got my email saying I'd been granted the visa. Just be nice and courteous in your question about your status and ye be grand! :D

Oz is a completely different country can't really compare the two...plus they let in anyone with no criminal background checks which is basically a bit silly of them :pac: They tightening up now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Can only do either bar work or waitressing as that's all I'm able for under the conditions to get the permanent thing. Just focusing on that and if I manage by some luck to get it then I'll branch out and be able to try other types of work...like the ski lodge :D

you won't get permanent residency on the back of bar work

Even if my processing time runs passed the end of my 2 years there I'll transfer my status to tourist and get 6 months extra in the country.

you have to have been in canada for 2 years to apply for PR via the canadian experience class. otherwise you're applying to immigrate via one of their national schemes, where you have to fit into a certain group of workers. as i said above, you mentioned bar work is all you'll be doing, so you won't get PR

id advise giving the government a bell when you get over here to speak to them, that way you'll be able to save yourself the grand-odd it'll cost you to get refused PR

red menace wrote: »
    IEC determine eligibility
    The CIC actually grants you the visa so that why you were sent to the CIC

Yeah but they specifically told me to email them????

Applied on May 4th so closing in on 3 months now anyway!

Helix wrote: »
    you won't get permanent residency on the back of bar work
    you have to have been in canada for 2 years to apply for PR via the canadian experience class. otherwise you're applying to immigrate via one of their national schemes, where you have to fit into a certain group of workers. as i said above, you mentioned bar work is all you'll be doing, so you won't get PR

id advise giving the government a bell when you get over here to speak to them, that way you'll be able to save yourself the grand-odd it'll cost you to get refused PR

Yes I will get permanent residency(if I meet all requirements) on the back of bar work or waitressing :) Or even truck driving if I knew how to drive :p Due to the entry level/semi skilled occupation section.

Step by step info:

1) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/apply-who.asp

2) http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigration/come/work/about/index.page

3) http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigration/come/work/about/strategic_occupations/index.page?

4) http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigration/come/work/about/strategic_occupations/entry_level/who.page?

5) http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigration/come/work/about/strategic_occupations/entry_level/tourism.page?

It's a pilot project that goes on until March 2014. So good timing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Interesting. So basically anyone going over on the IEC from this month until 2014 can apply?

Guess so! That's why when searching for a job you need to make sure to ask the employer questions in relation to this as the employer needs to meet certain conditions as well as you to be eligible. Think they would be happy enough as it would show you are serious about staying with their establishment and in the country for longer than a year or two.

But yeah it's great! Ordinary folks get a shot and not just the smart folks with the degrees and papers stuff :D

Yeah... You let us know how that works out lol

Yeah... You let us know how that works out lol

Yeah no problem and you can let us know when you stop being negative and cheer up a bit :pac::p

• Advertisement

Applied - May 4th
    Receipt of Application - May 15th
    Payment requested - May 28th
    Passed onto CIC - June 7th

12 weeks tomorrow :(
    Want to book my flights!!!

Applied - May 4th
    Receipt of Application - May 15th
    Payment requested - May 28th
    Passed onto CIC - June 7th

12 weeks tomorrow :(
    Want to book my flights!!!

Just got approved there......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Well I've the ticket booked, going it on me own to Vancouver towards the end of September. Nervous and excited!

Panthro wrote: »
    Well I've the ticket booked, going it on me own to Vancouver towards the end of September. Nervous and excited!

Good man yerself. This time next year (well end of September next year, so bout a year after yourself) that'l be me. Going it on my own. Not 100% where too yet, still trying to suss out where I think would suit me (certainly for starting out). I am sort of tossing Vanc, Toronto and Calgary around at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bops2042

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    You don't need a letter from your bank

A statement will more than suffice

I'm going onto my third year visa in August and I've never been asked to produce anything when activating the visa except for the LoI

When you say you are going on your third year visa - does that mean you can apply for the IEC 3 years in a row?

bops2042 wrote: »
    When you say you are going on your third year visa - does that mean you can apply for the IEC 3 years in a row?

old usit scheme + 2 years iec

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

I applied a few days before the IEC closed 2 or 3 months ago, they got the forms and sent them back to me because they couldn't read the barcodes that I printed out. I'll apply again when/ if they open in December (Hopefully they open again before that)

Just a quick question; Does anyone know if I should resend the forms I got sent back to me or start again from scratch, I don't mind doing it either way. Also, where should I get the forms printed? I don't trust my printer anymore, it obviously can't do the job it's supposed to.

I want to be out of here before next SUMMER! :D

Any other folks heading over soon?

WasterEx wrote: »
    I applied a few days before the IEC closed 2 or 3 months ago, they got the forms and sent them back to me because they couldn't read the barcodes that I printed out. I'll apply again when/ if they open in December (Hopefully they open again before that)

Just a quick question; Does anyone know if I should resend the forms I got sent back to me or start again from scratch, I don't mind doing it either way. Also, where should I get the forms printed? I don't trust my printer anymore, it obviously can't do the job it's supposed to.

I want to be out of here before next SUMMER! :D

Any other folks heading over soon?

Same thing happened to me but luckily I had the time to print them out again before it closed! Out of here in 3 weeks :)

I'd fill out the forms again when they come out just in case they're different or they've changed the barcode format or something stupid like that (honestly wouldn't be surprised knowing them)

Garda Certificate and passport photocopies and all that stuff you already have will be fine to use again

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Same thing happened to me but luckily I had the time to print them out again before it closed! Out of here in 3 weeks :)

I'd fill out the forms again when they come out just in case they're different or they've changed the barcode format or something stupid like that (honestly wouldn't be surprised knowing them)

Garda Certificate and passport photocopies and all that stuff you already have will be fine to use again

Sweet! Cheers for that. Haha, yeah that's true, I'll restart the whole process again I guess, just incase something like that does happen. Have fun in Canada! :D...wish I was going sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Hitch11

Hi there , just wondering could somebody clarify something for me.
    A few months ago i received an email from the IEC titled 'Welcome - Bienvenue' and attached was a letter in PDF format stating that 'You have received your Letter of Introduction from the Citizenship and Immegration Canada....'. However it never actually says that this is the LOI itself?
    Does anyone what the deal is here, is it the LOI of should i have been sent an additional email/letter? This is for the 2012 IEC.

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement