Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Christmas sale 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Rar, the X3 pack was 75% off, have wanted this for a good long while. Also picked up Batman Arkam Asylum for a fiver based on how much friends rave about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you won't be dissapointed. one of the finest games of the generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Was just coming on here to ask about X3, are they worth playing?

I know they're some sort of space sim but not much aside from that. I played EVE for a while and thought it was fairly enjoyable if that's relevant at all, just stopped because I didn't have the time to make it worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I enjoyed x2 and x3. Haven't played them in years though so not sure if there's more to x3 now.
    If it gives any perspective, I got into EVE because I wanted more space sim after finishing x3 two or three times. :D

danthefan wrote: »
    Was just coming on here to ask about X3, are they worth playing?

I know they're some sort of space sim but not much aside from that. I played EVE for a while and thought it was fairly enjoyable if that's relevant at all, just stopped because I didn't have the time to make it worth while.

If you liked the PvE/Trading aspect of EvE the X games are worth a look. They can be a bit hard to get into but they're the closest thing to single player EvE that I've found tbh.

• Advertisement

Went for Terran Conflict + Albion Prelude.

If I don't like them, meh, it was €5.

danthefan wrote: »
    If I don't like them, meh, it was €5.

Yeah, hard to go wrong at that price to be honest. I'd advise reading up a bit online about strategies in the game, back many years ago when I played X2 I found the community advice essential to getting the most out of the game. Similar to a MMO in that respect really.

nesf wrote: »
    Yeah, hard to go wrong at that price to be honest. I'd advise reading up a bit online about strategies in the game, back many years ago when I played X2 I found the community advice essential to getting the most out of the game. Similar to a MMO in that respect really.

Will do, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,721 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nevore wrote: »
    I enjoyed x2 and x3. Haven't played them in years though so not sure if there's more to x3 now.
    If it gives any perspective, I got into EVE because I wanted more space sim after finishing x3 two or three times. :D
    What you expect EVE to be:

EVE_ONLINE_02.jpg

But it's actually:

eve-online-interface.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Overheal wrote: »
    What you expect EVE to be:

[IMG]http://www.dap But it's actually:[/img][IMG]http://mmg[/IM][/img]

Psh. Buy 20 Rifters. Go find some gudfites. Come back and tell me that you still didn't enjoy it, and maybe I'll believe you gave it enough of a chance. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Can i play X3 with an xbox controller ?

I loved eve and freelancer but they were completely playable without a joystick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

LOL Was able to get a guy on Reddit to trade me 3 pieces of coal for Borderlands GOTY edition.... SCORE! Felt bad doing the trade but I really wanted the game :P

Also got a guy to trade me Football manager 2012 he got as a gift for 7 coal. He was american id say. Love it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is sword of the stars 2 worth 26 euro or is it still buggy as hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Prize farming has gotten this fella a lot of goods:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/76561198012901611/inventory/

Lucky fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I looked at a few profiles of people in the trading forum and they told similar stories. I can only assume that they must have multiple accounts to be racking up that many prizes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Lucky fecker.
    What did he do? Use multiple accounts and then trade the prizes over to that account? Not worth the effort, look at the pages and pages of worthless coupons he has. Its quite sad tbh.

Also above there, I meant to say I traded 3 coal FOR borderlands GOTY, not the other way around :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Some of the gifts are quite good, I've seen someone with valve complete pack but a heck of a lot more people with coupons. I agree, not really worth the effort but I suppose it is a game in itself...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

Has anyone seen one of those fabled gold coupons you can use during the sale?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Lucky fecker.
    It's not from prize farming of one guy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

X Superbox any good? Is it a space sim game like Freelancer/I-War 2/Freespace? Might pick it up if it's worth it

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    It's not from prize farming of one guy...

???

I assume its from his many other accounts? Its easy to make an account, Activate a product from one of many indie bundles out there bought for $0.01
    and then get the 3 free easy prizes, 4 if you include the trading one.

Hence the name "Prize farming".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

steam store seems to be down for me when trying to buy something. Anyone else?

???

I assume its from his many other accounts? Its easy to make an account, Activate a product from one of many indie bundles out there bought for $0.01
    and then get the 3 free easy prizes, 4 if you include the trading one.

Hence the name "Prize farming".

You need to wait 30 days of your account being "in good standing" to trade games.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    You need to wait 30 days of your account being "in good standing" to trade games.

From reading the many complaint threads on steam forums, It still seems coal and vouchers can be traded so im assuming he has traded himself 100s of coal(Judging from all the vouchers he has).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Having finally gotten a decent PC for gaming, I've finally got steam for the first time in my life.

Can't wait to get into it properly. I'm downloading Amnesia now from gamersgate and can't wait to catch up on all the great games I've missed.

Having finally gotten a decent PC for gaming, I've finally got steam for the first time in my life.

Can't wait to get into it properly. I'm downloading Amnesia now from gamersgate and can't wait to catch up on all the great games I've missed.

Can't you hear your bank account crying already?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Can't you hear your bank account crying already?:o

Yes :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you probably missed the STALKER games

get them! get them now!

From reading the many complaint threads on steam forums, It still seems coal and vouchers can be traded so im assuming he has traded himself 100s of coal(Judging from all the vouchers he has).
    Good point.
    I'm doing that myself.
    I've had two accounts for years. One for a dedicated server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Slim pickings today.

Advertisement