Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

How and where does County Councils get their money from till now??

So does it now mean that every county council and road sweeper in the country will be shut down and pulled off the road from Monday mornning?????

Come on people and wake up here.

This is all a heap of lies and bullsh!t dreamed up by Kenny,Gilmore and Hogan.

Sure Hogan doesnt even know how much of this CLAIMED household charge will actually go to local services.

The answer is 0%,as anyone with half a brain can see through all the blatant lies and falsifications that they have all dreamed up over this fiasco.

Endas policy is......."We,ll tax ourselves out of the recession".

No country in the history of the civil world has ever taxed its way out of a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So it looks like there's going to be ~1,000,000 household not paid up on time. I reckon that with travel allowances, overtime pay and compulsory union breaks; that they'll be able to collect the outstanding €100 charges at a cost of no less than €250 per household.

A roaring success, and no mistake about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I see Marian Finucan is doing her best to get people to pay. I thought these shows were supposed to be impartial? The guy responsible for collecting this has been given so much time on the media yet he cannot say which local authorities will be open or not to take payment. This is the government your sending your €100 too. The permanent civil servants in this country are a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

paddy147 wrote: »
    How and where does County Councils get their money from till now??

So does it now mean that every county council and road sweeper in the country will be shut down and pulled off the road from Monday mornning?????

Come on people and wake up here.

This is all a heap of lies and bullsh!t dreamed up by Kenny,Gilmore and Hogan.

Sure Hiogan doesnt even know how much of this CLAIMED household charge will actually go to local services.

The answer is 0%,as anyone withj half a brain can see through all the blatant lies and falsifications that they have all dreamed up over this fiasco.

Endas policy is......."We,ll tax ourselves out of the recession".

No country in the histroy of the civil world has ever taxed its way out of a recession.

Come on don't be so hard on him after all he is only a school teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Non payment of tax should result in cancelation of welfare.

Lets see how brave people are then, when the handouts stop.

And we should cancel paying our PS workers too, and the bondholders, and the bankers, and the politicians etc etc.

You really don't have a clue, do you?

• Advertisement

Cork24 wrote: »
    Today is the day !!

So who paid and who didn't ?

I didn't pay any way.. A lot of old people who bullied into paying

And after or fine minister tell us get a life well that's just icing On the cake

Not paying (said from day 1) and wont either.

Id rather go to jail for 1 month ( if Mr Shatter has the balls to do it) than pay this 100 euro pocket liner for FG and the banks.

BRING IT ON Alan Shatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

TURRICAN wrote: »
    So scaremongering does kinda work.

I reckon theres a bunch of people out there making a "point" ...I.e. waiting till the last minute...which is fair enough....there's another bunch who can't afford to pay....then there's a bunch who won't pay.....within the next week, we'll know the statistic of the "last minute" payers...don't think we'll ever know the breakdown statistics of can't pay/won't pay bunch...

TURRICAN wrote: »
    Come on don't be so hard on him after all he is only a school teacher

Oh yeah,I forgot 2 nice big pensions so.

And stepping accross the line to personally oversee several 37K salary increases for various FG ministerial advisors too.Oh and a bank directors salary cap being broken by him too.

Ah god love him so.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

How are you on SF borrowing printer cartriges 50K's worth from the taxpayer mr sf supporter?

How brave, Im not paying my tax because I dont want to.

Sure ff would giggle at that expense.And good on you doing what you feel like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I still dont for one second believe the numbers we are being told paid. Its a sad day when you think your government is actually trying to deceive you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Its a sad day when you think your government is actually trying to deceive you.

Government actually has a solid track record of deception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Some can, some cant. This type of claim is made as if this would be a single €2 a week extra that people have to pay.

The “I can’t afford to pay argument” simply does not stand up, as has been pointed out repeatedly on thread. If the household charge is abandoned the government will simply raise taxes or make cuts to the tune of €160 M in lieu. Only if you can predict where there cuts will be made and hence know that you will not be effected can you credibly make the “can’t afford it” argument. Of course if you had the talent to do that, you would be flush with money. :)

It seems some want to continue with the delusion that if you cannot identify the charge as a single payment that you make then you are not actually paying it!!!
    robbie7730 wrote: »
    Because its a property tax people already paid on their house. It does not matter if people protested or not, they still paid this property tax. They are still paying back the money they borrowed to pay it.
    gerryo777 wrote: »
    With stamp duty, if you needed to buy, there wasn't any choice!
    BTW if anyone bought a standard 3 bed semi in or around 2006, the stamp duty would have been around €20-€25k or the same as 200-250 years worth of this property tax.
    Money that is tied up in an average mortgage, averaged over 25 years, costing around €1,500 per year.
    There's your property tax, now **** off, Phil!

Another false argument. In the first place the money collected in stamp duty WAS given back to the people in one form or another (lower taxes, higher welfare rates etc.)

But more importantly the current mode of funding does not address this inequity (if you think there is one).
    So you are repaying large amounts of money in stamp duty + interest ….. but this is going to the banks and is most certainly not being used at all to fund local services. Therefore currently, as well as repaying stamp duty, you are paying general tax, a portion of which is being used to fund local services!!!

Thus if paying the house hold charge counts as double taxation given that you have paid stamp duty then so too does the current mode of payment. Or perhaps you can explain why it doesn’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

All that for €160 million a year? What a bargain!
    Now, if we could just get the rest of the PS for another €160 million, we'd be laughing.
    What a foolish post!

You forgot to add, (about Mrmatisse) what a foolish post, by a foolish, immature, trolling internet warrior.

This is supposed to be a discussion on who is, or who are not are paying this charge and discussion and debating why?

Its not for childish trolls, by someone that comes across as a "Phil Hogan" type character ;)

psychward wrote: »
    Government actually has a solid track record of deception.

Hogan now says the council workers and revenue officials will be calling to peoples doors.

I wonder how many of them can speak the Irish language,or actually know the constitution and the law then??

God help them when they get to my doorstep so.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Yep llike two major wars in ten years.

Hardly a troll.

You comply with the law. I dont like my taxes going on the section of society that has lived on welfare their whole life and dont care, but I dont object to pay over it as its the law.

Bailing out Anglo is economic treason says An Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore
    http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/bailing-out-anglo-is-economic-treason-says-an-tanaiste-eamon-gilmore/

The law ? The law for who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Hogan now says the council workers and revenue officials will be calling to peoples doors.

I wonder how many of them can speak the Irish language,or actually know the constitution and the law then??

How is he going to force workers to go calling door to door collecting money or advising people they have not paid?
    There will be a strike if he is not careful.

Jeez,auld Enda and the FG party must be paying all you lads very well to be on here desperalely pushing for it,at the last minute.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Whats the next desperate ploy then???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

If Irish people did not bother to pay their tax in the U.S. and break U.S. law they would know all about it.

People come on here and moan about the government. Most of the freeloaders who wont pay this pay fu*k all tax anyway.

Hopefully the continuing recession kicks them out of the country but since they wouldnt get lots of handouts elsewhere they will probably stay here
    Its the law, you cant whinge your way out of complying with the law.

Less that 2 quid a week FFS.
    Non payment of tax should result in cancelation of welfare.

Lets see how brave people are then, when the handouts stop.
    Em no Obama care isnt.

If the IRS brought in a 120 dollar tax charge, there would be no riots.

lol, hypocrisy of some trolls is unbelievable.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75816431&postcount=43

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I see Marian Finucan is doing her best to get people to pay. I thought these shows were supposed to be impartial? The guy responsible for collecting this has been given so much time on the media yet he cannot say which local authorities will be open or not to take payment. This is the government your sending your €100 too. The permanent civil servants in this country are a disaster.

ah the medias been a fecking joke on this since day one.

were the only country talking about the take up rate, everywhere else covering this knows the story is the 1 MILLION people not doing so.

not surprised about marion though. establishment to the core and with the cuts in RTE coming down the line she knows the gov must be looking at the money coming in from the liscence fee as a possible pot to plunder themselves.

how can she earn 600k a year for two days work a week in THAT enviorment ?

:D

seeing as were at D day ill fess up as to why i picked 30% as a compliance rate for this, which seems to be pretty much bang on.

its two fold.

The richest people in this country, the vested interests and "civic society" professional class types make up 20% of the country.

they were ALWAYS going to pay this as they either have an interest in getting the moola OR its such a piddliy triviality to them it wasnt worth their while making an issue out of it (it could also be something they get questioned on in the media, so social embarrassment comes into play).

the charge could be 10x this and theyd STILL pay as its a pittance to them they'd never miss.

and

10% of the country is made up of a combination of gobshytes who'd sign up to anything no matter how stupid immoral or irrational it is "coz me betters told me" and people easilly fooled/terrified without the spine god gave a mollusc.

seems i misgudged that sector by 5 or 8%

voila 30%.

Can't wait for one of those to call to my door. I'll video it and stick it up here in a post...
    In fact, I'd encourage everyone to video it and post it here!
    Let's see what their union reps think of that........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

hondasam wrote: »
    Yes people who work have all these things to pay for as well including doctor, school fees etc.

There are plenty of people who can't afford to see the doctor as it is! This includes both people who work and are unemployed. If they can't afford to see a doctor how in the name of god are they going to afford 2 euro to pay for a job done by too many people.

lugha wrote: »
    The “I can’t afford to pay argument” simply does not stand up, as has been pointed out repeatedly on thread. If the household charge is abandoned the government will simply raise taxes or make cuts to the tune of €160 M in lieu. Only if you can predict where there cuts will be made and hence know that you will not be effected can you credibly make the “can’t afford it” argument. Of course if you had the talent to do that, you would be flush with money. :)

It seems some want to continue with the delusion that if you cannot identify the charge as a single payment that you make then you are not actually paying it!!!

Another false argument. In the first place the money collected in stamp duty WAS given back to the people in one form or another (lower taxes, higher welfare rates etc.)

But more importantly the current mode of funding does not address this inequity (if you think there is one).
    So you are repaying large amounts of money in stamp duty + interest ….. but this is going to the banks and is most certainly not being used at all to fund local services. Therefore currently, as well as repaying stamp duty, you are paying general tax, a portion of which is being used to fund local services!!!

Thus if paying the house hold charge counts as double taxation given that you have paid stamp duty then so too does the current mode of payment. Or perhaps you can explain why it doesn’t?

:confused::confused::confused:

Has Marian Finucan not just been hit with a 30% pay cut??;):D

So she will naturally have an axe to grind,and a personal agenda to push now.

Inpartial me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

ah the medias been a fecking joke on this since day one.

were the only country talking about the take up rate, everywhere else covering this knows the story is the 1 MILLION people not doing so.

not surprised about marion though. establishment to the core and with the cuts in RTE coming down the line she knows the gov must be looking at the money coming in from the liscence fee as a possible pot to plunder themselves.

how can she earn 600k a year for two days work a week in THAT enviorment ?

:D

seeing as were at D day ill fess up as to why i picked 30% as a compliance rate for this, which seems to be pretty much bang on.

its two fold.

The richest people in this country, the vested interests and "civic society" professional class types make up 20% of the country.

they were ALWAYS going to pay this as they either have an interest in getting the moola OR its such a piddliy triviality to them it wasnt worth their while making an issue out of it (it could also be something they get questioned on in the media, so social embarrassment comes into play).

the charge could be 10x this and theyd STILL pay as its a pittance to them they'd never miss.

and

10% of the country is made up of a combination of gobshytes who'd sign up to anything no matter how stupid immoral or irrational it is "coz me betters told me" and people easilly fooled/terrified without the spine god gave a mollusc.

seems i misgudged that sector by 5 or 8%

voila 30%.

Thats a little bit unfair on people that did pay, its everyones right to choose, I chose not to. But a lot of people feel they have to, as they dont want to break the law, another section, the elderly, have in some instances being bullied into it, fearful that the big bad government will come after them and take more off of them.
    Personally, I have never done something like this before, but, I feel we need to stand up to this bull %&£$

p.s. Phil Hogan, was better off in the background as director of elections for FG, now that he is out in the open, he comes across as very arrogant and superior. time to resign mr hogan, you pressed the wrong buttons with people on this item, First of all, telling us that we had to pay or go to jail, then when that did not work, asking us to pay for the good of the country and to help pay for our local services, then today, back to, we are sending out people door to door :rolleyes:

So now he is going to pay council officials money to go out and collect €100 from nearly one million houses, how much is that going to cost mr hogan.

Maths is not the governments strong point is it

:confused::confused::confused:
    What's confusing your there Gerry? I thought it was clear enough but I'll happily explain any of it to you. :)

I reckon DV must be flat out doing overtime today, last minute rush and all that......we won't get a post until his tea break.....:D:D

Can't wait for one of those to call to my door. I'll video it and stick it up here in a post...
    In fact, I'd encourage everyone to video it and post it here!
    Let's see what their union reps think of that........

Yep,just like the chap who absolutely humiliated the gardai and county sherrif at the gates of his house.

Both the gardai and sherrif hadnt a clue of the actual law,and were left to walk off with their tails between their legs.

The county sherrif was acting and doing his work illegaly,yet he hadnt a bloody clue,and the house owner had to point it out to him.

Talk about being humiliated and put in your place,and on video camera too,for the whole world to see.....:D:D

On youtube too.;)

slick50 wrote: »
    Whatever about how much car tax is being spent on road maintenance. The difference is my house does not cost the government anything to maintain.
    But the point about motor tax is that some money (quite a bit in fact) is collected from motorists, which is not for the purpose of maintenance. Thus we already have a situation where people pay ongoing tax, despite having paid a whooping amount of tax at the time of purchase, for private property (in the sense of possessions) which is not being used for maintenance. So I fail to see the distinction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

No country in the history of the civil world has ever taxed its way out of a recession.

how many have borrowed their way out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Yep,just like the chap who absolutely humiliated the gardai and county sherrif at the gates of his house.

Both the gardai and sherrif hadnt a clue of the actual law,and were left to walk off with their tails between their legs.:D:D

On youtube too.;)

Not quite true. The house has been repossessed since AFAIK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement