Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 PocketAA

Get over it pay 100euros

Reduce Income tax in favour of fixed property taxes

Reward the worker - Reward Innovation

reduce the burden on direct wage taxation !!

UP HOUSEHOLD CHARGE - DOWN WITH UNIVERSAL SOCIAL CHARGE AND INCOMETAX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

PocketAA wrote: »
    Get over it pay 100euros

if it's so insignificant, you can pay mine for me

Dole by name....

Get over it

Less Tax on Earnings makes working hard better for everyone

put down the pizza - give it a go....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

He is gonna get a lot meaner in a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Thats what annoys me about this whole household charge. Its a hundred euro. I like a lot of people can luckily afford to pay it, and thats the main word, lucky. Im lucky to be able to afford one hundred euro. To a lot of people however one hundred euro is a lot of money. People like shatter from the private school, privileged and yes lucky background can easily afford this and shouldnt be lecturing people on how small a deal it is. Not everyone went to private school, was born to wealthy parents and are lucky enough to be financially well off like he is. So shatter you rich lucky baxtard your opinion about those who oppose the flat unfair one hundred euro tax is worth sweet f*** all.

• Advertisement

Dole by name....

Get over it

http://files.sharenator.com/custom_1256950366573_banhammer15gq9_This_is_Madness_No_this_is_Sharenator-s340x324-219693-580.jpg

Dole by name....

Get over it

You really are something. we should all listen to you.

Get over it pay 100euros

Reduce Income tax in favour of fixed property taxes

Reward the worker - Reward Innovation

reduce the burden on direct wage taxation !!

UP HOUSEHOLD CHARGE - DOWN WITH UNIVERSAL SOCIAL CHARGE AND INCOMETAX

Ever hear of a situation called poverty? A lot of people in this country are in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

As I say, it's best to stick with the outlook you have, if you start asking questions you'll only drive yourself half-mad.
    Take it from me
    - you are the lucky one.

That's the first thing you've said that I can believe.
    Well that's a relief, I had visions of a darkened room, a bottle of whisky and a loaded revolver.

Bertie?
    lugha wrote:
    Not so. Some of the money collected through car tax from some of the road users will go towards maintaining the roads. Just as some (the government actually insist it will be all) of the money raised from some of the residents will go towards the cost of maintaining local services.

Whatever about how much car tax is being spent on road maintenance. The difference is my house does not cost the government anything to maintain.

Can you, or anyone else, give me one good reason why the government should be given any sort of leverage on my home.

lugha wrote:
    Oh, and we (the taxpayer) WILL be paying for the cost of local services, whether this campaign against the charge succeeds or not.
    lugha wrote:
    These costs are currently being funded out of general taxation, i.e. our money. This measure only changes how we pay, not who pays (in the sense that it is the taxpayer, one way or another)

Just like we have been all along.
    I'm afraid Friday nights of drinking beer and rock n roll are long behind me. I might open a nice malbec later though and settle down to some serious posting.

That will be refreshing!
    That's a fair point, you certainly can't escape death. Someone else can pay your taxes.

Very selfish alright, leaving someone a house.
    What would be the difference if the same amount was taken out of your wages?

The first (and to me the most important) difference would be that it doesn't give the government the opportunity to gain a lein on my home.

Secondly, it would be proportionate to the ammount of money I'm earning. And not proportionate to the ammount of my hard earned money that I've invested in my home.

Thirdly, people on higher earnings would contribute a greater ammount.

To a lot of people however one hundred euro is a lot of money.

thats a bit f'n patronising....

Its 100 for a year dude

• Advertisement

To a lot of people however one hundred euro is a lot of money.

thats a bit f'n patronising....

Its 100 for a year dude

I can afford the €100 it's the principle now that is stopping me paying.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ever hear of a situation called poverty? A lot of people in this country are in it.
    yes...so reduce the burden on their income tax

Tax property owners and get rich quick apartment buying suckers

! No more Social Charge or Income Tax for the honest worker

Welcome a Tax on Property and Fight to Reduce PAYE for the Worker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Welcome a Tax on Property and Fight to Reduce PAYE for the Worker

There will be no burden reduced for the next 10 or 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Dole by name....

Get over it

Mod

Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I dont understand the rush to pay?
    If they cant be arsed to get any notification out to me or an invoice at all till the week its due, why would i be in a rush to pay?

The penalty is as per below, that means even if 3 months late, its only 10 euro!!! give the non payment a chance and dont be fooled by the lies to Q up and pay or else they will start rolling their sleeves up.

The scare tactics have extended to trying to pit homeowners against income tax payers, as they have screwed the latter with taxes and PRSI and USC, its introducing an element of fear, but to hold on its only 10euro!!
    Really they should make the savings by cutting back on the wastage and excess expenditure in Govt depts, HSE, how effective is the service? teachers payments over basic of 500 Million, their own pensions not to mention their buddies that have been looked after in jobs. Start the cuts at the top and cap pay over certain values, there are plenty of able people who would gladly take a capped pay if these people are unhappy to have it.

Even to hold out up to a year its worth waiting, rather than having it like motor tax and petrol, where it goes up at a whim, think of the longterm people, the Govt doesnt have the political will to do what is really needed, make hard decisions about the wastage, cant just keep throwing money at problems to try and fix it, that was the celtic tiger method and it didnt work then either.

edit, I could afford 100 euro, but what comes after that, I dont think I can.
    AND
    the principle.
    A primary residence shouldnt be taxed, payed tax on the money you earn, to pay more tax and fees at every stage of buying then pay tax to live there??
    And before someone comes back and says oh in Europe they have this years etc etc, they have services, they get services and many have them itemised, plus free healthcare, cheaper cars, no VRT. If they pay extar they get value for it, more so than here.

The liability date for 2012 is January 1st - and households will have three months to pay before Late payment penalties apply as follows :
    Payments made within 3 and 6 months of January 2012 – a 10% penalty.
    Payments made between 6 and 12 months late – a 20% penalty.
    Payments more than 12 months late – a 30% penalty plus 1% interest per month
    So – if someone is 12 months late paying the €100 household charge – they will owe €130 plus another €12 interest – a total of €142.
    If charges remain unpaid a charge will remain attached to the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

A lot of property owners are struggling atm, yeah, tax the suckers.
    btw, do you have any other interests in your life besides sounding like dr Phil's gimp? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Remember......

"people who don't pay the fee can be brought before the courts and fined for their non-compliance"

can they jail 2/3 of the people?
    I do think so

Mod

Banned

but we were having so much fun stringing him along

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Thats what annoys me about this whole household charge. Its a hundred euro. I like a lot of people can luckily afford to pay it, and thats the main word, lucky. Im lucky to be able to afford one hundred euro.

None of us who pay the charge are "lucky", we are in a position to pay it because we worked to be able to pay it.

The lucky people are those who don't have to pay it but yet are supplied with free rent and other social services in the name of social equality.

• Advertisement

but we were having so much fun stringing him along

I think it was the other way round, he was stringing us along.

None of us who pay the charge are "lucky", we are in a position to pay it because we worked to be able to pay it.

The lucky people are those who don't have to pay it but yet are supplied with free rent and other social services in the name of social equality.

Those who can afford one hundred euro are relativley lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

sorry
    I'm not paying it cos i get what out of it. notting no bin no water or street light
    so no not pay it

and i work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

If you paid the charge, you certainly aren't to be defined as lucky alright...
    Lots of people are in a position to pay it, but won't. It's called taking a principled stand.
    And you pay it and still give out about other people who are excluded because they are most likely unemployed?
    If you're so aggrieved with the system, then try to change it.
    The lucky people are those who thought up of this scam, on top of all their other scams, that lots of people are still falling for.
    But they won't stay lucky forever. We'll all wake up soon enough :cool:

Those who can afford one hundred euro are relativley lucky.

I would not say that, even people who are unemployed can afford €2 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I am not going to pay this on principle. 3% tax on those earning in excess of €250,000 would generate the same revenue. Enda start taxing your FF mates please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

hondasam wrote: »
    I would not say that, even people who are unemployed can afford €2 a week.

there are those of us who are self employed who would be better off if we where able to shut up shop and get the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

I'm not necessarily against a " council tax". But having to pay a charge just because I have managed to skimp, save and buy a house is just not on. As was pointed out by certain ministers, the househoild charge is " less than EUR2.00 a week ". Well then, everybody should pay!

ger664 wrote: »
    there are those of us who are self employed who would be better off if we where able to shut up shop and get the dole.

I understand this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement