Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Austo77

Can you not cancel one of the dd's?

Thats the plan obviously, but I just thought it was strange that there are no checks in place to ensure that a property isn't registered twice.

Although I doubt many other people will register once, never mind twice :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

washman3 wrote: »
    Was talking to a neighbour this morning who had agonised over the last few weeks on whether or not he would pay. Told me that last night he finally decided to go and pay today for what might,just might,be the greater good of the country coupled with mainly that he had never disobeyed a law in his life. But all this changed rapidly this morning when he heard Alan "Arrogant" Shatter state that people should "get a life"...

Shatter decided to poke one million+ people with that insult - way to go and win the people over! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

Biggins wrote: »
    Shatter decided to poke one million+ people with that insult - way to go and win the people over! :pac:

I can't believe the stupidity of that comment, like waving a red flag to a bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Armchair revolution

pathetic

You would be giving out if it was an armed revolution, fine gael are trying to wipe out the middle class of this country, the gulf of the rich and poor will get bigger then it already is, I trust you are gleefully rich with no risk to your wealth as oppose to the majority of the people who are taking a battering :mad:

Just listen to the ****e on rte radio now and the fine gael propaganda disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Bet if you asked 10 of them what we should do instead, you'd get 10 different answers.

Would that be the mandarins in the Dept. of Finance you're talking about.
    :D

• Advertisement

tigger123 wrote: »
    I can't believe the stupidity of that comment, like waving a red flag to a bull.

VERY!

You know that saying "let sleeping dogs lie" - well he just (for some) poked that dog with a big stick and their reaction will be further "Fcuk you!" non-surprisingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

next to nothing on rte.ie

are u in the rte canteen talking about it or something :rolleyes:
    Merch wrote: »
    I just looked and there's nothing online

Next to nothing except two stories in the most popular section and now it's even on the front page.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0330/one-in-three-register-for-household-charge.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0331/alan-shatter-tells-sinn-fein-to-get-a-life.html

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

bdk2eu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

The story about 15 people attending a demonstration last night is pretty funny. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Great comeback Paddy, presume that's an admission that you actually didn't know what you were talking about regarding your earlier post?

A little bit more background reading before posting your I'll-judged economic *ahem* theories, well stop you looking so uneducated in the future.

Getting personal again I see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Apart from gardai, teachers, street lighting.

You dont pick or choose which laws you comply with.

I believe enda says the same, if there is a law in the way of getting personal data, change the law.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

hondasam wrote: »
    Kinda have to agree with you here, we should be in Dublin protesting.

I would be but having just paid my monthly mortgage from an income decimated by levies, social charges, increased VAT, refuse collection charges etc etc I could not afford either a) petrol for a Cork-Dublin round trip or b) return train ticket Cork-Dublin round trip :mad:

Ah Shur let them away with it.

A bit of howling at the moon never hurt anyone, and might make them feel a bit better I suppose by releasing some frustration.

Bet if you asked 10 of them what we should do instead, you'd get 10 different answers.

Probably because there are 10 different answers!

Let's start with our bloated, overpaid and cosseted PS shall we.
    Why not do it ourselves instead of waiting for our IMF/EU overlords to tell us.
    Or does Enda & co want to wait so they can use the 'bigger boy made me do it' excuse!

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Getting personal again I see!

Not seeing it that way myself Gerry.

Perhaps you should report me to a Mod?

SnowY32 wrote: »
    You would be giving out if it was an armed revolution, fine gael are trying to wipe out the middle class of this country, the gulf of the rich and poor will get bigger then it already is, I trust you are gleefully rich with no risk to your wealth as oppose to the majority of the people who are taking a battering :mad:

Just listen to the ****e on rte radio now and the fine gael propaganda disgusting!

MrMatisse doesn't even own a property, he's only here to troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,646 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

One MILLION yet to pay.

Not seeing it that way myself Gerry.

Perhaps you should report me to a Mod?
    Is that how you got me banned last week?

Probably because there are 10 different answers!

Let's start with our bloated, overpaid and cosseted PS shall we.
    Why not do it ourselves instead of waiting for our IMF/EU overlords to tell us.
    Or does Enda & co want to wait so they can use the 'bigger boy made me do it' excuse!

There are many strands to the solution, though we've discussed this before and I've made my position clear.

I'd guess the most popular 'answer' from the rent-a-mob would be to tell the bondholders to **** off.

Is that how you got me banned last week?

Nope.
    Didn't even know you'd been banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

One MILLION yet to pay.

Source? Or is that as of last night/this morning?

(just curious, not having a go) :)

There are many strands to the solution, though we've discussed this before and I've made my position clear.

I'd guess the most popular 'answer' from the rent-a-mob would be to tell the bondholders to **** off.

If there are many strands to the solution, why are you slagging off the protesters by saying they'd give you 10 different answers?:confused:

Nope.
    Didn't even know you'd been banned.
    And I thought you missed me!;)

And I thought you missed me!;)

Like the deserts miss the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Here are the issues I have with this.

Firstly, it's one of, if not THE most badly implemented ideas that any Irish Government has ever had. It's actually an embarrassment. The way some TD's have tried to force it has been nothing short of bullying, and the language some of them are using is derogatory. It's a shambles.

Secondly - this household charge doesn't apply to my partner & I, we're *gasp* council tenants. Yet if we are to believe that the charge is going towards local ameneties, I use them more than, say, my ageing mother. I use the library, school, playground, etc - the income of myself and my partner is more than that of my mother or his parents. So why do they have to pay just because they own their own homes? I'm not saying I'd be falling over myself to register, but I think it's unbelievably unfair that this applies to some people and not to others. It should be a charge for everybody or a charge for nobody. I'd begrudge paying it, but I'd pay it if it was a blanket charge.

Thirdly - I'm so sick of hearing people say "It's only €2 a week." That is completely irrelevant, because people do not have the option to pay it weekly. I would imagine many more thousands would indeed pay it if it were a €2/week or €10/month charge.

Just my two cents.

Like the deserts miss the rain.

Aaaahh, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Keep the flirting to PM's please, lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

hondasam wrote: »
    Armchair revolution

pathetic

Kinda have to agree with you here, we should be in Dublin protesting.

All thats needed to protest in this case is an armchair.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    All thats needed to protest in this case is an armchair.

And a hole in the ground to bury your head in.

• Advertisement

And a hole in the ground to bury your head in.
    While big Phil does you from behind!

Sorry mods!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement