Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Not a contest, more a battle in ideologies between those who wish to solve the problem and those who wish to subvert the state (no, I do not include yourself or many of the other 'no' poster in this group).

Make no mistake, the stakes are high, and the future of this country is on the line.
    A small step has been taken, more painful ones will be required before we come out the other end of this.

Battle of ideologies? subvert the state?
    Where is the comprehensive plan to say what the money will be spent on?
    or how it wont be wasted?
    Eliminate wastage, inefficiencies in govt spending? Consolidate councils, reduce the outgoings, cut pay (start at the top).

Things they are too politically feeble to do as they only care about 5 years, if they can weather that storm they are home and dry.

Why isnt the money made up in cost savings? I have no qualms about a tax on investment property but why the primary residence, a home?

Eliminate the wastage and if the money is still needed come back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

i think its blindignly obvious !

70% of the population is a minority

shure theres not a political party in the world that'd be happy with that support

:D

We'll simplify it even further for Francie so.....

30% = 3/10.

Anyone claiming this as a success, and constantly using the word 'Loony', who claimed earlier that his favourite novel is one flew over the cuckoo's nest, must be.....

Well, sane people here can fill in the blanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Ghandee wrote: »
    I've never, not once in my 30 odd years on earth, met an individual, so happy to pay a tax?

Well, as a Shinner you're probably hanging around with the wrong sort of republicans.

I believe in civic responsibility and defending this state from those subversive elements who seek to take control.

Most of the 'no' side have let their emotions override their intellect and are being used as pawns. Some of the 'no side didn't have a lot of intellect to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Well, as a Shinner you're probably hanging around with the wrong sort of republicans.

I believe in civic responsibility and defending this state from those subversive elements who seek to take control.

Most of the 'no' side have let their emotions override their intellect and are being used as pawns. Some of the 'no side didn't have a lot of intellect to start with.

ummmm would you not be better defending the people and not the state?

in that way you might end up with a state and goverment that respects the people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

This says a lot to me, its a quote from a respondent to the article below.

"they are working on attachment of earning orders to take money off people on social welfare, but taking pensions off corrupt politicians needs constitutional amendments blah blah blah.
    That's the very reason right there not to pay this iniquitous tax"

Its so bloody true, its sickening. They wont deal with the rot in their own ranks or those of their pals.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/surge-in-people-paying-100-household-fee-but-39pc-insist-they-will-hold-out-3066454.html

The article itself, sure 39%, Its the Indo though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Hear hear. Throw bricks at Germans;)

How do you know?

Merch wrote: »
    This says a lot to me, its a qoute from a respondent to the article below.

"they are working on attachment of earning orders to take money off people on social welfare, but taking pensions off corrupt politicians needs constitutional amendments blah blah blah.
    That's the very reason right there not to pay this iniquitous tax"

Its so bloody true, its sickening. They wont deal with the rot in their own ranks or those of their pals.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/surge-in-people-paying-100-household-fee-but-39pc-insist-they-will-hold-out-3066454.html

The article itself, sure 39%, Its the Indo though.

This quote makes me sad and very very angry

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Maybe we should have a big tax disk in home windows to show its taxed, such is the comparison level with motor tax in this thread.

Something like the attached?

:)

We'll simplify it even further for Francie so.....

30% = 3/10.

Anyone claiming this as a success, and constantly using the word 'Loony', who claimed earlier that his favourite novel is one flew over the cuckoo's nest, must be.....

Well, sane people here can fill in the blanks.

Guess we need a recap for some of the slower learners in class today.
    I believe the Paddy Power Red C poll is showing 61% of people willing to pay the charge.
    Assuming half of those who say they won't pay are keyboard warriors and blowhards, it's looking like compliance rates will be over 80% without too much hassle.

Seems like the huge majority claimed by the 'don't register, don't pay brigade' has been abducted.

Pretty obvious to me that's a majority of people who intend to pay either prior to the deadline or soon after while penalties are low.

• Advertisement

Pretty obvious to me that's a majority of people who intend to pay either prior to the deadline or soon after while penalties are low.

Paddy Power Poll.......

A bookies, who are prob giving odds on the outcome of the yes/no vote?

Edit, http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/other-politics/irish-politics/How-many-WILL-pay-by-the-end-of-31st-March%3f-3608133.html

Would it be in their interest to massage figures Francie?

so a survery of 1000 people or however many are asked the questions show the results for the rest of the country over the next 12 months.

why don't red C just do all our elections based on this?

oh wait yes opinions change and this limited survey isn't covering everyone.

Ask 1000 dubs what they plan to do and i'm sure you'll get a different result to 1000 donegal folks ditto with 1000 people from Kerry.

plus if there is still a very low turnout in people paying in the next while do you not think that people who said they might do it may change their mind?

I'll even concede that people who have said they won't pay on this may end up doing so.

When you don't like the numbers, attack the source eh?

Becoming a bit predictable and tiresome now.

I smell desperation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Francis, you seem to have an obsession with this subject.. in the last 2 days you have posted over 45 replies on this thread only, aren't there other interesting threads on boards that you could contribute to? or are you just fighting the governments corner (whoever you are) ;)

I smell desperation.

did you read my post?

i gave a fairly detailed explanation as to why this poll is not a concrete result.

You seem to be the one who is not accepting the actual current result becuase it doesn't agree with you

I smell desperation.

How many WILL pay by the end of 31st March? Saturday 31st March 2012, 18:00 Household Charges Deadline Hide

Singles Only. Applies to the per centage of those eligible for the household charge that have paid by the end of the dealine day. Must be quoted as a per centage by a member of the government by 15th April 2012. PP decision is final in settlement.

Under 35% 20/1

35.01 to 40% 4/1

40.01 to 45% 13/8
    45.01 to 50% 15/8

50.01 to 55% 7/2

Over 55% 7/2

Taken from Paddy power website.

Plain to see the 'favourite' 40-45% is hardly a success?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

How many WILL pay by the end of 31st March? Saturday 31st March 2012, 18:00 Household Charges Deadline Hide

Singles Only. Applies to the per centage of those eligible for the household charge that have paid by the end of the dealine day. Must be quoted as a per centage by a member of the government by 15th April 2012. PP decision is final in settlement.

Under 35% 20/1

35.01 to 40% 4/1

40.01 to 45% 13/8
    45.01 to 50% 15/8

50.01 to 55% 7/2

Over 55% 7/2

Taken from Paddy power website.

PP are basing this on fk all except the back-hander given to them by the government to give these odds.. think about it

Define 'success'?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

(In reply to Black Francis, on Paddy Power's odds)
    The Source is a Gambler - much like our Bondholders. And PP's odds are all based on 'before the deadline'. The deadline is actually 'Before 31st March', which means the deadline is TODAY.

(Says so in the 'Final Reminder' under How Do I Pay 'Local Authority: In your Local Authority Office BEFORE 31 March (No administration fee applies)'

So, if Local Authorities are going to be open tomorrow to accept payments, isn't that actually extending the deadline (which Big Phil said wouldn't be done). Yes, I do smell desperation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

danniemcq wrote: »
    Ask 1000 dubs what they plan to do and i'm sure you'll get a different result to 1000 donegal folks ditto with 1000 people from Kerry.
    Polling methodologies deal with these factors - they are usually carried out in each constituency. 1,000 respondants is a normal number.

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    Polling methodologies deal with these factors - they are usually carried out in each constituency. 1,000 respondants is a normal number.

is that why all polls show the exact results in all elections?

i know they give a good idea on how people will act but when one of the options or results is dealing with future events.

This is not exact, the result after tomorrow and again after the new year will be exact

Define 'success'?

You define it.

is 40-45 % from 100% a majority in your eyes?

You define it.

is 40-45 % from 100% a majority in your eyes?

You first please - I'd be interested to hear what your side defines as a success.

I promise I'll go next.

You first please - I'd be interested to hear what your side defines as a success.

I promise I'll go next.

Are you 8?

Are you 8?

Anyone would think you were avoiding the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Gardai have refused to speculate on whether the disappearance of Robbie7730, Tayto, Ghandee, Gerryo, Mikom, Freddie59 and Mr CJ was in any way linked to the abduction of 'Majority'.

"It's too early to tell if these disappearances are linked" said a Garda spokesperson.
    Under further questioning, the Spokesman admitted that the timings of the disappearances were "strange".

Stay tuned for updates.:pac:

Here's an update for ya Francie and your paltry tax uptake............ and it's a countryside saying.

"Nearly never bulled a cow".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Whats black francis going to do when this thread is done and dusted??

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Whats black francis going to do when this thread is done and dusted??

Start knocking on non payers doors......

Then

The fiscal treaty.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

they needed at least 15% not to sign-up.

It's clear that this battle has been won.

Time to lay down the keyboards and dance around the fires victory, kept going by the waste of leaflefts sent by the government to bully OAPs.

That's what you meant to say....right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Really does anyone seriously think that nearly a million people will register and pay by midnight tomorrow?

Face it, it's over the people have made their point. The government can spin this anyway they want but they're getting a bloody nose over this.

They should take the hint.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement