Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

dvpower wrote: »
    Well, that didn't answer my question - at all. :confused:

Read between the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Hint: the household charge could be more aptly named a tax on cowardice or stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

How is he to know what the governments next move on this is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

He's probably a bit out of breath from moving those goalposts.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Maybe I'm stupid, (N.B, I'm not) but, 55% (which is optimistic for the yes side) of NON payment will be a nightmare for the Govt to try and enforce.

We'll let it sit until Sunday shall we?

Remember the good old days?
    Ghandee wrote: »
    And so far only +/- 10% have.

Complete failure IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

The strategy is 'dont register, dont pay'.

The aim must be the abolition of the charge, no?

yes, I completely agree.. we must try and abolish the charge

That ship has sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Figure is now nearly 600,000 according to the LGMA. That's 490k registrations + 91k postal payments + 11k waivers.

Regardless now of whether you favour the 1.6 figure or 1.8 figure, at least 30% of people are now registered with one day to the deadline. That figure will increase by at least 50% over the next 72 hours and will double in the next 7 days.

Looks like the "No" side are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jack67

That ship has sailed.

has it?time will tell;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

seamus wrote: »
    Figure is now nearly 600,000 according to the LGMA. That's 490k registrations + 91k postal payments + 11k waivers.

Regardless now of whether you favour the 1.6 figure or 1.8 figure, at least 30% of people are now registered with one day to the deadline. That figure will increase by at least 50% over the next 72 hours and will double in the next 7 days.

That will be disappointing, this was the one chance the people had to show the government we were not going to keep paying for their mistakes.
    If the majority pay then so be it, we will have to follow suit and pay up but still it's disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Read between the lines.
    Just looking for a straight answer to a simple question.
    How is he to know what the governments next move on this is?
    I wasn't asking about the government - I was asking about the aim of the campaign?
    That's what I was looking for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

From where did you get those figures? If you're so sure about them numbers, place a bet and PP will make you rich (hint: maybe another €100 will do it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

hondasam wrote: »
    That will be disappointing, this was the one chance the people had to show the government we were not going to keep paying for their mistakes.
    How does paying this charge amount to "paying for their mistakes"? :confused:

Oh, and we (the taxpayer) WILL be paying for the cost of local services, whether this campaign against the charge succeeds or not.

m4r10 wrote: »
    From where did you get those figures?
    Reported on the radio about ten minutes ago.
    If you're so sure about them numbers, place a bet and PP will make you rich
    I'm not "sure" about them, but they seem inevitable at this stage.
    Who are "they" hondasam? The mistakes which were made were by the administration who had power between 1997 and 2011. We showed "them" when they got trounced in the election last year.
    But that doesn't mean that we don't have to fix their mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

An extra 600,000 in the next 7 days past the cut off point.
    You're deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Formosa

I just registered and paid within the last hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Formosa wrote: »
    I just registered and paid within the last hour.

My cats breath smells like cat food.

lugha wrote: »
    How does paying this charge amount to "paying for their mistakes"? :confused:

Oh, and we (the taxpayer) WILL be paying for the cost of local services, whether this campaign against the charge succeeds or not.

Why are we paying this charge? how many more demands can they put on us?
    Who are "they" hondasam? The mistakes which were made were by the administration who had power between 1997 and 2011. We showed "them" when they got trounced in the election last year.
    But that doesn't mean that we don't have to fix their mistakes.

Not the way I see Seamus, this government can blame the previous admin as much as they like but they have not changed anything.
    More changes need to be made at the top including government ministers, public servants etc, most of the changes are being made at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

These costs are currently being funded out of general taxation, i.e. our money. This measure only changes how we pay, not who pays (in the sense that it is the taxpayer, one way or another)

And I would say the demands that we (not "they") are putting on ourselves are a consequence of us giving overwhelming political support to parties who made clear that they were going to pursue the particular route that they are taking.

We did have a choice in that we could have voted for more left leaning parties who made it quite clear that they would not have gone this route. Alas, they did not convince the electorate.

mikom wrote: »
    An extra 600,000 in the next 7 days past the cut off point.
    You're deluded.
    That's the way the figures are going as far as I can see. You and me both said 25% at the deadline. We are well past that point now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Demands of the sort every other citizen in almost every other civilised country in the western world has to deal with day in day out? The [EMAIL="bast@rds"]bast@rds[/EMAIL]! How dare they.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

hmmmm. Interesting. Increase by 50%, suggesting circa 45% compliance and then doubling in 7 days, suggesting 90% compliance. You must live with black francis in fantasy land.

Compliance would need to be over 80% for the government to make this work. Otherwise the "yes" side will start protesting that xx% have not paid when they have. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who said anything about Sunday?

I don't think compliance will be anywhere near 80% by Sunday.
    I do believe a huge majority will pay within the first 12 months when penalties are low and they realise there's no chance of the charge being scrapped.

Firstly you were on the High Jump team aiming for a record.
    Now you are on the Limbo Dancing team. Don't scrape your arse.

prinz wrote: »
    Demands of the sort every other citizen in almost every other civilised country in the western world has to deal with day in day out? The [EMAIL="bast@rds"]bast@rds[/EMAIL]! How dare they.

What is Universal Social Charge for? The problem here is not every citizen is paying that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It should have been called the Red C Poll of Foxrock obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Formosa

mikom wrote: »
    My cats breath smells like cat food.

Thread title: "Are you going to pay the household charge?"

I'll leave the attention seeking pontificating to 9000+ posts saddos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

When the government are resorting to threats of deducting the charge from social welfare and salaries, it makes it even easier to refuse payment.

When the government call off investigations, which would likely mean their buddies at council level would be shown to be rotten to the core, it makes it even easier to refuse payment.

When the Taoiseach shows his two faces (it is morally wrong to tax the family home......measure up and obey the law), it makes it even easier to refuse payment.

When the government fall back on almost every promise they made prior to the election, just to grab power, it will make it even easier to kick their asses just like FF had their asses kicked in the last election. The next government will need to promise that pensions will be performance related.

I hope an election gets called very soon, but I know that's highly unlikely. If we revolt, we effectively remove their power, which we give to them. A tax for taxes sake is not just. A flat tax, by the admission of the government is not just. A pack of liars do not deserve to hold office.

lugha wrote: »

We did have a choice in that we could have voted for more left leaning parties who made it quite clear that they would not have gone this route. Alas, they did not convince the electorate.

Who should we have voted for? you really think they would have changed everything?

goz83 wrote: »
    I hope an election gets called very soon, but I know that's highly unlikely. If we revolt, we effectively remove their power, which we give to them. A tax for taxes sake is not just. A flat tax, by the admission of the government is not just. A pack of liars do not deserve to hold office.

Maybe we could have an election every couple of weeks so we can let all the anger out of our systems and turf out one crowd and repleace them with another.

Still not going to change the underlying problems - There's a big hole in our funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

None of my neighbours or family have paid and I won't be either!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement