Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

jackdock88 wrote: »
    I admire your sarcastic wit. But pray tell, why does anybody, politican or whatever, have a claim to your property? Do you own it or do they? It's not a question of shades of grey but rather one of principle...

Who owns your wages, who owns your car?

As I say, it's best to stick with the outlook you have, if you start asking questions you'll only drive yourself half-mad.

Take it from me - you are the lucky one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

If this was rural America this law would be greeted with gunfire and barackades.

If people want council tax let them have it. Not some skiving theiving tax to support failing banks and a failed political system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Gardai have refused to speculate on whether the disappearance of Robbie7730, Tayto, Ghandee, Gerryo, Mikom, Freddie59 and Mr CJ was in any way linked to the abduction of 'Majority'.

"It's too early to tell if these disappearances are linked" said a Garda spokesperson.
    Under further questioning, the Spokesman admitted that the timings of the disappearances were "strange".

Stay tuned for updates.:pac:

Someone seems to have abducted the meaning of the word 'majority' from your brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sometimes I wish I had a mentality like this.

It must be truly wonderful to sail through life with this kind of outlook. I truely envy you and your simplistic view of the world - and I'm not being sarcastic.

Unfortunately for me, my brain won't allow me to see things like this - it forces me to consider the more complex issues at play, to consider the various scenarios open to us, the possibilities and probabilities of various courses of actions. I'm cursed into trying to reason out complex problems and resolve my own doubts to the best of my ability.

For me the world is a series of shades of grey, and I would love to trade places with you.

Specsavers might be worth a try.

As I say, it's best to stick with the outlook you have, if you start asking questions you'll only drive yourself half-mad.

I won't have a stupid government forcing me to sell my home, into a buyers market, so I can afford the tax on it.

Fuhk off Phil Hogan. Good luck with ever getting elected again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Gardai have refused to speculate on whether the disappearance of Robbie7730, Tayto, Ghandee, Gerryo, Mikom, Freddie59 and Mr CJ was in any way linked to the abduction of 'Majority'.

"It's too early to tell if these disappearances are linked" said a Garda spokesperson.
    Under further questioning, the Spokesman admitted that the timings of the disappearances were "strange".

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Specsavers might be worth a try.

Hey Robbie think you have to let the Gardai know you are ok

If this was rural America this law would be greeted with gunfire and barackades.

Seeing as they already have a property tax in America, it's doubtful

Maybe we should have a big tax disk in home windows to show its taxed, such is the comparison level with motor tax in this thread.

danniemcq wrote: »
    Hey Robbie think you have to let the Gardai know you are ok

Well that's a relief, I had visions of a darkened room, a bottle of whisky and a loaded revolver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

HA !

pat kenny just said when all is done and dusted on the count front he's going to be doing a "compliance" rate by area.

:D

looks like im going to be out by 2 to 5% on the finally tally .

not bad, and a hell of alot better than the 90% some mooted . considering some of the anglo level of mathmatics going on with this issue im still in with a chance of my 30% estimate being right.

:)

oh and for the first time theyve mentioned the rate of waivers. on newstalk this morning and they said 10k have applied.

they cant even get the people exempt to sign up !

• Advertisement

Well that's a relief, I had visions of a darkened room, a bottle of whisky and a loaded revolver.

all in a shade of grey?

Seeing as they already have a property tax in America, it's doubtful

You know as well as I do that if the Americans were asked to give their government a hundred dollars so they could piss it up against the wall there'd be outrage.

Look at Obamas health care plan. People who don't want to pay are not paying and are furious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Lol thats just sad, grow up.

Yea, i can imagine your high powered brain working out how the gunpower accelerates the projectile down the rifled barrel, such is your earlier mentioned over thinking affliction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

News just in - Gardai now believe that these people are being held,with their consent, by a little known phenomenon known as "Gainful Employment" but have not ruled out an abduction claim by a new group calling themselves "People with something better to be Doing"
    This group,although very new to this forum seem to be gaining strength here.A Garda source is quoted as saying "People should not write off the risks associated with PWSBTBD,and should not underestimate their influence"

Am Chile wrote: »
    The role of the media this week has been a disgrace!!!!

Lat Sunday week Hogan was on the This Week programme on his own. Yesterday Morning Ireland had a series of short pieces quoting government TDs including Shatter and councillors and not one opponent to the charge. Hogan was on Newstalk this morning again on his own, last night he only agreed to go on to Prime Time if Clare Daly was not allo...wed on and Prime Time agreed! Drivetime today had Labour councillor Michael O Brien and the guy from the local government crowd organising the HH tax and again not one opponent to counter anything they said.

Even allowing for the fact that the media are part and parcel of the establishment and play a vital role if propagating government policy their role this week in giving the government a dig out is scandalous really.

its like the IMF thing and lisbon all over again.

TBH with the current level of info taken off the net and the clearly contradictionry stuff coming out of foreign media you have to ask who theyre trying to kid.

the days of RTE and the times controling the infoflow is long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'm here Francie kid.

In the middle of a stock take today, I dont get paid to update this thread y'know.

Come back to me at 00.01 Sunday 1st of April kiddo.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

:pac:
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Im not happy that the county councils are using their budget wisely. What exactly does a typical county council budget look like?

Ghandee wrote: »
    I'm here Francie kid.

In the middle of a stock take today, I dont get paid to update this thread y'know.

Thats a relief, grey francis thought we were in a dark room shooting at full bottles of whiskey. The last thing we need is more wastage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The numbers paying are creeping up. It will probably get past the 50% by the deadline which the government will no doubt spin as being a success.

• Advertisement

I'm here Francie kid.

Glad to hear you're taking stock.

Can't be easy to see the 'no' campaign evaporate in a puff of pragmatism.

Well its gone already. 30% was a success was it not?

I thought you would be thinking beyond yes v no in all this. Or is it simply a contest?

The numbers paying are creeping up. It will probably get past the 50% by the deadline which the government will no doubt spin as being a success.

I doubt it will get anywhere near this high by the deadline date myself.

But, for the anti-household charge campaign to have gained any possibilty of scrapping the charge, I estimated that they needed at least 85% not to sign-up.

It's clear that this battle has been lost.

Time to lay down the keyboards and become tax-compliant if you don't wish to pay more in penalties and interest down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Noreen1 wrote: »
    + 1000.

I don't believe for one minute that anyone actually knows how many people, of those who have registered, are exempt.

What we do know, is that 1.8 million are required to register, with 1.6 million liable to actually pay.

Now, if the majority of the 200,000 people who are exempt from paying this year have registered so far - then the numbers who have actually paid take on a whole new meaning -

There are only about 52,000 homes that are entitled to a waiver (unfinished estates and mortgage supplement) (they are supposed to register)
    The exempt properties do not need to be registered (Council houses, charities, housing associations, houses that form the trading stock of a business and have never being lived in.)

More info here - http://www.moneyguideireland.com/how-many-properties-will-be-liable-for-the-household-charge.html

What exactly is your point Francis?

Latest figures are 30% have registered, you do know that 70% non registered means majority :confused:

I'm seriously confused by what your claiming here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Latest figures are 30% have registered, you do know that 70% non registered means majority :confused:

If it was 1.6 million they needed to register it would be 30%- but in fact its 1.8 million they need to register so its less then 30% currently registered.

I posted about the numbers game last night.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77852334&postcount=9120

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Well its gone already. 30% was a success was it not?

I thought you would be thinking beyond yes v no in all this. Or is it simply a contest?

Not a contest, more a battle in ideologies between those who wish to solve the problem and those who wish to subvert the state (no, I do not include yourself or many of the other 'no' poster in this group).

Make no mistake, the stakes are high, and the future of this country is on the line.
    A small step has been taken, more painful ones will be required before we come out the other end of this.

Not a contest, more a battle in ideologies between those who wish to solve the problem and those who wish to subvert the state (no, I do not include yourself or many of the other 'no' poster in this group).

Make no mistake, the stakes are high, and the future of this country is on the line.
    A small step has been taken, more painful ones will be required before we come out the other end of this.

I've never, not once in my 30 odd years on earth, met an individual, so happy to pay a tax?

careful he'ss start arguing that black is white now soon (although to him it'd be that darker grey is the same as the lighter shade of grey)

• Advertisement

i think its blindignly obvious !

70% of the population is a minority

shure theres not a political party in the world that'd be happy with that support

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement