Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Pal wrote: »
    Cannot fathom people on here calling for people not to pay tax.

Disgraceful. Leave it for others to pick up the bill.
    In fairness it is not that simple, many of those oppossing the Charge do make valid points.
    It is unfair to simplify it down calling on others not to pay tax.
    Oh and I paid btw, but I have respect for those who argue their case in logical and intelligent way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Plazaman wrote: »
    As post above says, I think figures are being manipulated by bothe sides but from this it looks like we're doing what we do best, rolling over and taking it up the a$$....

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/surge-in-people-paying-100-household-fee-but-39pc-insist-they-will-hold-out-3066454.html

Hopefully a large percentage will stay the course and hold off paying.

The homegrown media in this country are untrustworthy discredited government mouthpieces anyway. We need perhaps a BBC perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

A fool and their money are easily parted ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

The Gardai have launched an urgent missing persons appeal for the 'Majority of people' who would not be supporting the Household Charge.

This 'Majority' was last seen being gleefully bandied about on a Boards thread over the last number of months, by various anti-household charge posters. The Majority has been variously described as "huge", "overwhelming" and "massive".

Anyone with any information on the whereabouts of this Majority is urged to contact their nearest Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

ummmmm isn't that what the tax is doing? We are picking up the bill for the sh*t that bankers and politicians have got us in.

By your own logic they should be the ones picking up the bill not us.

• Advertisement

The Gardai have launched an urgent missing persons appeal for the 'Majority of people' who would not be supporting the Household Charge.

This 'Majority' was last seen being gleefully bandied about on a Boards thread over the last number of months, by various anti-household charge posters. The Majority has been variously described as "huge", "overwhelming" and "massive".

Anyone with any information on the whereabouts of this Majority is urged to contact their nearest Garda station.

[sarcasm]OMG you are soooooooo funny[/sarcasm]

have you seen the polls? have you seen the stats?

there are still in or around 30% of people registered. Now depending on the sources (even today) some say that that percentage is people that have paid where others say registered and seeing you have to register EVEN if you are exempt then those numbers can and probably are different to reality.

If you wanted to pressure people into paying then you make them out to be the minority and that everyone else has paid them. Hence the no "real" figure.

Sure they can't even agree on how many houses are in Ireland, some say 1.6 million others 1.8.

Now seeing that the latest figures are around 400,000 registered the difference in 200,000 houses being counted radically changes the totals and expected returns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

If you are to believe the highest figure...30% have "registered"...therefore 70% have not.......where does the majority lie :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Latest figures looking like 32% maximum registered - including those on waivers and forms that have not been entered on the system .

see http://www.moneyguideireland.com/how-many-people-have-paid-the-household-charge.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I hope your gleefully employed in the public sector cause your no comedian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Nohouseholdtax.org

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

New opinion poll shows 61% are planning on paying the charge.
    Indo wrote:
    The Paddy Power/Red C opinion poll of more than 1,000 adults this week found that 61pc of those eligible for the charge were going to pay it while 39pc would not.

Apparently, more than 100,000 people paid yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

dvpower wrote: »

They were quoting 447,771 yesterday morning - now they are saying 477,589 - that's only 30,000 new registrations yesterday. Someone is trying to make things look like a "surge" when it is more like a trickle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

dvpower wrote: »

I won't believe any number til after Sunday, and is independently verified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

In other news Gardai have called off the search for well known local troll Black Francis. He was last seen under a bridge near his home town but Gardai now belive his is residing in a fantasy land which does not actually exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

I heard someone at work say yesterday that they still have not received anything in the post about the Household charge at all - they are eligible to pay but claim to not have received anything.

Anyone else in this scenario?

Ladjacket wrote: »
    I heard someone at work say yesterday that they still have not received anything in the post about the Household charge at all - they are eligible to pay but claim to not have received anything.

Anyone else in this scenario?

nothing but don't pay leaflets have come to mine!

and i live in a small estate in middle of the town not miles out in the sticks so they are failing left right and center!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

The role of the media this week has been a disgrace!!!!

Lat Sunday week Hogan was on the This Week programme on his own. Yesterday Morning Ireland had a series of short pieces quoting government TDs including Shatter and councillors and not one opponent to the charge. Hogan was on Newstalk this morning again on his own, last night he only agreed to go on to Prime Time if Clare Daly was not allo...wed on and Prime Time agreed! Drivetime today had Labour councillor Michael O Brien and the guy from the local government crowd organising the HH tax and again not one opponent to counter anything they said.

Even allowing for the fact that the media are part and parcel of the establishment and play a vital role if propagating government policy their role this week in giving the government a dig out is scandalous really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Am Chile wrote: »
    Different media outlets are giving different figures are spin, for example

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/29-currently-registered-to-pay-household-charge-545480.html

However this article also downplays the real numbers required to register.

Its not 1.6 million required to register, its actually 1.8 million required to register including those excempt for the time being in unfinished estates etc

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0328/1224314008176.html

They say 1.6 million are liable to pay the household charge at present, while moneyguide Ireland estimate much higher

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/how-many-people-have-paid-the-household-charge.html

+ 1000.

I don't believe for one minute that anyone actually knows how many people, of those who have registered, are exempt.

Whereas it may be quite easy to calculate these figures for those who have registered online, I doubt very much that regional local authority offices, with limited staff, are actually counting the exempt registrations, and passing the information on to a central office, several times a day.

What we do know, is that 1.8 million are required to register, with 1.6 million liable to actually pay.

Now, if the majority of the 200,000 people who are exempt from paying this year have registered so far - then the numbers who have actually paid take on a whole new meaning - one that doesn't suit those with vested interests, or their own agenda.

Which might just explain why one of our most frequent posters backtracks, then refuses to answer when asked to provide proof of how many people have paid.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jackdock88

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's €100, that's around €8.33 a month.

I'm finding it absolutely baffling how people can get worked up over this, yet will happily spend as much on a single drink on a night out....

Get a grip. Seriously.

It's not their money, that's why. If I steal €100 off you, does that make it ok if you justify the cost on a daily basis?

I was waiting to hear all the news about everybody registering coming up to the final day. I believe there is an increase but not what they are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I won't believe any number til after Sunday, and is independently verified.
    Who's going to independently verify it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

From moneyguideIreland website

Figures from the LGMA at 6pm yesterday stated that the household charge had been paid on 467,357 properties and a further 10,232 had been registered for a waiver. This makes a total of 477,589 registrations. Thy also stated there were around 72,000 unprocessed forms. If all these are valid registrations – then the total figure will be 549,589

We estimate there are about 1,730,000 properties that are liable for the Household Charge - so that works out at just under 32% of households that have registered. So – around 68% of households have still not yet registered.

jackdock88 wrote: »
    It's not their money, that's why. If I steal €100 off you, does that make it ok if you justify the cost on a daily basis?

Sometimes I wish I had a mentality like this.

It must be truly wonderful to sail through life with this kind of outlook. I truely envy you and your simplistic view of the world - and I'm not being sarcastic.

Unfortunately for me, my brain won't allow me to see things like this - it forces me to consider the more complex issues at play, to consider the various scenarios open to us, the possibilities and probabilities of various courses of actions. I'm cursed into trying to reason out complex problems and resolve my own doubts to the best of my ability.

For me the world is a series of shades of grey, and I would love to trade places with you.

Since they are not liable for the fee i would be surprised if a significant number of those who have registered haven't paid. But there must also be a hell of alot of exempt houses who have not even registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

The so called house hold charge reminds me of nothing but a Nigerian* bank scam:

Dear sir or Madam,
    Please register with us for fantastic services like libraries, roads#, refuse collection#, parks, playgrounds~, etc. For a tiny charge of only €100 we will provide all these wonderful services for you.
    You simply register with us and pay your tiny charge.
    With grateful thanks and good wishes,
    Irish Government
    Ps. this is an annual charge and is not limited to the initial amount. We will decide what to bill you in future, please do not worry, trust us we know what we are doing; look how well we handled this tiny charge.
    Pps. this is not a limited charge, we thank you for registering so we can provide you with future charges for your wonderful efficient water services¬ and other unspecified future charges we can think.

Notes:
    *(apologies etc)
    #other charges will apply
    ~ certain areas only, if you are lucky and work really hard to get one
    ¬ no guarantee of efficiency is implied

Now that's funny.

Gardai have refused to speculate on whether the disappearance of Robbie7730, Tayto, Ghandee, Gerryo, Mikom, Freddie59 and Mr CJ was in any way linked to the abduction of 'Majority'.

"It's too early to tell if these disappearances are linked" said a Garda spokesperson.
    Under further questioning, the Spokesman admitted that the timings of the disappearances were "strange".

Stay tuned for updates.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jackdock88

It must be truly wonderful to sail through life with this kind of outlook. I truely envy you and your simplistic view of the world - and I'm not being sarcastic.

Unfortunately for me, my brain won't allow me to see things like this - it forces me to consider the more complex issues at play, to consider the various scenarios open to us, the possibilities and probabilities of various courses of actions. I'm cursed into trying to reason out complex problems and resolve my own doubts to the best of my ability.

For me the world is a series of shades of grey, and I would love to trade places with you.

I admire your sarcastic wit. But pray tell, why does anybody, politican or whatever, have a claim to your property? Do you own it or do they? It's not a question of shades of grey but rather one of principle...

and after all this thinking, pondering and complex brain calculations the only way out of the clusterfu*k we are in is to tax those who can't afford it?

If you are seeing the worlds as shades of grey maybe you have just given up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes keep paying and paying every extra charge, once its called tax, without question.

And i would say its safe to assume those not paying this new tax, do pay tax. No one said not to pay tax, they said not to pay this new tax.

Many that bought homes paid large sums of tax in that purchase, and are still paying back that tax via the mortgage. They likely made a bigger contribution in tax than others at the same income level. But that doesnt matter in this thread. The yes men suggested that was their own fault.

Blame is not the point though. Regardless of how it came about, the large stamp duty payers payed that tax, a property tax, and are still paying for it. Im guessing you have no problem with them paying extra.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement