Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Zebra3 wrote: »
    That's only if the citizens of this country lay down like a bunch of cowards and continue to have their income taken off them to pay off gamblers' losses.

Don't pay.

You got any more records with you?

This one must be nearly worn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

going by the poll, half the people that are going to pay this will damage the protest for non payment, these are the dumbo Irish people that will bend over as always so unless they get their head out of their ass i cannot see a good majority win against this tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,825 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

zenno wrote: »
    going by the poll, half the people that are going to pay this will damage the protest for non payment, these are the dumbo Irish people that will bend over as always so unless they get their head out of their ass i cannot see a good majority win against this tax.

All you have to do is convince them to vote for people like Joan Collins, problem solved.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

simit wrote: »
    I'm only renting but if my lanlord tries to pass the charge on to me, he'll be getting his keys handed back to him.

As I said over on the pin; I'll have absolutely no problem in paying a €25 a month service charge if my landlord wants me to. Where we may disagree, however, is about what 'services' will be provided for that money. For €25pm I'll be expecting the lawns mowed weekly, the paths and patios weeded fortnightly and the gutters cleared monthly. (For starters.) I know technically that's his responsibility anyway but I've always been happy enough to do it myself as I never thought the landlord should be responsible for that sort of upkeep but if he wants to charge me a service charge, I'll be expecting services.

I have a part 4 tenancy with no lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

syklops wrote: »
    Ghandee wrote: »
    I dont get this response?

Its €8.33 a month too fcuking much!!!

Were being charged a tax to live in a poxy house that (not through ordinary Joe Soaps fault) is worth prob half of what it was when we bought it, due to the completely wreckless behaviour of corrupt politicians and greedy bankers.

Then what did you buy it for?

That has to be the dumbest question ive ever heard.he bought it for a laugh why do you think he bought it you muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's €100, that's around €8.33 a month.

I'm finding it absolutely baffling how people can get worked up over this, yet will happily spend as much on a single drink on a night out....

Get a grip. Seriously.

Easy for you to say. That €100 will soon become €200, then €400 and so on. It's rates by the back door.....with a waiver for council tenants. So essentially you (and me) will be punished for NOT having the State house us. It really is discriminatory in every sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Nice to see the Irish infatuation with property has persisted after the boom years :rolleyes:

"But it's my house, i should have to pay any taxes on it to the Brits government!"

It's an international norm. We need to drag ourselves out of our "I own it, **** you", former colony, property is sacred mentality. The money from this tax will go toward paying the 40% of our budget that goes on social welfare, it will go to paying for the health system, the guards, and the huge debt we acquired from being too greedy etc.

We can either ask people to pay this minuscule tax or we can cut the state pension, close more hospital wards and take cops of the streets.

You can't just pick and choose what you think are the "fair" taxes and pay only them and then expect there to be no cuts elsewhere in services. I for one will be paying this tax as soon as is possible. I want to contribute to this country getting back on it's feet. The people complain about "getting shafted" are being completely selfish and expecting a miracle recovery in our collective fortunes.

I don't agree. People who didn't land us in this mess are being asked to pay for said mess. I (and thousands more) have utterly no interest in doing so.

I would be prepared to contribute towards lowering our normal deficit if people came into the real world.

Firstly, the Government (and its employees) must accept that this country is insolvent, and that they must recognise that the state can no longer afford to pay the bloated PS wage bill., It was incredible to hear Eamon Gilmore say that the Croke Park agreement must be honoured, as PS workers were granted mortgages on the basis that they would receive these increments.:rolleyes:

So all the slashing and burning is to enable these people top live the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.

Secondly, to discriminate against people that own their own homes truly defies belief. There has to be a legal challenge in there somewhere.

You use words like 'miniscule' as if they are always going to be that. They are not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Easy for you to say. That €100 will soon become €200, then €400 and so on. It's rates by the back door.....with a waiver for council tenants. So essentially you (and me) will be punished for NOT having the State house us. It really is discriminatory in every sense.

So no change then. We have the most well taken care of "vunerable" in the world. Why should we expect them to pay the tax like everyone else, the poor crayturs.

Hell, the government will even buy you a house and then not move you into it because you are a notorious crowd of scummers that the locals don't want in the area. I actually know this family and the state pays for literally everything for them.

They, and many more like, are more of a reason for our tax increases than any bailout. The bailout will paid off in a few years. These people will be having the tab for their ****ing lives picked up for decades.

40% people, 40%. That's the social welfare bill. It has to be paid every year and it is only getting larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

smash wrote: »
    it's not hard to comprehend that there are people who bought house, have paid off their mortgages, worked hard to do it, property prices went higher, are now retired and might have to pay a tax based on the current value of their house, that they might have paid off 10 or 15 years ago!

In these cases, and there are thousands of them, they might not be able to afford it.

There's also people in apparents paying in excess of a thousand a year on maintenance fees and now will have to pay an ownership tax on top of it, they probably can't afford it either.

I agree in regards of the property maintenance fees and it's not restricted to apartments, plenty of townhouses in that situation.

But completely disagree with you in regards to those living in high end properties. I think it's fair to say that if people have paid off their mortgages in affluent and wealthy parts of Dublin then they are wealthy and affluent people with good pensions.

Property tax is not a new concept and should have been brought in years ago instead of stamp duty. A property tax gives an annual income whereas stamp duty is dependent on how the property market is. But for years people protested against it, yet didn't give a thought to stamp duty during the boom, the reason being that they could simply add it onto the price of the house when they sold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

smash wrote: »
    That's like asking the bank to pay your car tax because you have a car loan...

But good effort :D
    PMSL! Slightly different but nice analagy!
    daltonmd wrote: »
    Grand so, just make sure after you have paid the mortgage on it that you give it back to the bank so they can "rent" it to someone else...
    Eh, no. I think you will find once the final payment is made it will be mine, till then the bank own my ass and the house :eek:

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote: »
    PMSL! Slightly different but nice analagy!

Eh, no. I think you will find once the final payment is made it will be mine, till then the bank own my ass and the house :eek:

It was yours the day you signed the contract. The bank only own your ass I'm afraid!!

You can try that approach, but it won't work.

You do own the property, the bank simply have a legal interest in it as the mortgage has been secured against it.

You can check you proprery deeds if you like, you'll find that you're registered as the 'owner'.
    Im not...Im listed as the mortgagee, not the "owner". Title deeds become yours when you redeem the mortgage is.It took a month to get my deeds BTW! Try it....its great fun! They want to know why you want it etc, gives them something to do since they aint doing much on the mortgage end these days ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

What's all the fuss about? We are talking about €2 per week! The price of a newspaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

So no change then. We have the most well taken care of "vunerable" in the world. Why should we expect them to pay the tax like everyone else, the poor crayturs.

Hell, the government will even buy you a house and then not move you into it because you are a notorious crowd of scummers that the locals don't want in the area. I actually know this family and the state pays for literally everything for them.

They, and many more like, are more of a reason for our tax increases than any bailout. The bailout will paid off in a few years. These people will be having the tab for their ****ing lives picked up for decades.

40% people, 40%. That's the social welfare bill. It has to be paid every year and it is only getting larger.
    Sure aren't the "most vunerable" in the world the poor downtrodden PS workforce! I mean god love them, unsackable positions, having to contribute a little to their gold plated pensions and getting pay rises every year since this recession started. I don't know how they will survive this, mind you they have 'happy' gilmore in their back pockets so they'll probably be ok.

Clareboy wrote: »
    What's all the fuss about? We are talking about €2 per week! The price of a newspaper!

Subtle difference mate...you are being TOLD to buy the newspaper.....if you ware happy to drop your pants for every little €2 a week the govt ask you for then thats your call. Govt LOVE punters like you and are in fact basing the whole thing on the easy scores....seems there is plenty if this thread is anything to go by !

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

the same people saying they wont pay, are the same people who said they were voting for mcguiness. typical left wing non sense, as usual on boards

geetar wrote: »
    the same people saying they wont pay, are the same people who said they were voting for mcguiness. typical left wing non sense, as usual on boards
    My hoop! I wouldnt vote for that clown if he was the only candidate!

Im not...Im listed as the mortgagee, not the "owner". Title deeds become yours when you redeem the mortgage is.It took a month to get my deeds BTW! Try it....its great fun! They want to know why you want it etc, gives them something to do since they aint doing much on the mortgage end these days ;)

Your bank is the mortgagee - you are the mortgagor, you property is security for the loan.

Tell you what though, god loves a trier!!

All I can say is I cant wait to see the first case of this go to court, it will be someone who genuinely cant pay as they are struggling and the judge will f**k it out and then the whole thing will unravel in the same shambolic half baked way its been put together.

Have to LOL @ Phil Hogan on the radio during the week...."the troika MADE me do it".............so did the TROIKA also make you play along with the Croke Park Agreement? Hmmmmmmm I seriously doubt that Phil.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

All I can say is I cant wait to see the first case of this go to court, it will be someone who genuinely cant pay as they are struggling and the judge will f**k it out and then the whole thing will unravel in the same shambolic half baked way its been put together.

I'm not sure that will ever have to happen. The charge can be applied to the house, along with fines and interest until the owner wants to sell or dies. The state will then take the total amount.

• Advertisement

Your bank is the mortgagee - you are the mortgagor, you property is security for the loan.

Tell you what though, god loves a trier!!
    Who is this God you speak of? Phil Hogan? Or a higher power like Enda LOL

Govt also love the bend over merchants. Let me know what it was like...

iguana wrote: »
    I'm not sure that will ever have to happen. The charge can be applied to the house, along with fines and interest until the owner wants to sell or dies. The state will then take the total amount.
    All supposition, has to be tested in the courts, wait and see I think.

For the sake of a mickey mouse 30e fine I think there will be a LOT of people willing to roll that dice.

Have to LOL @ Phil Hogan on the radio during the week...."the troika MADE me do it".............so did the TROIKA also make you play along with the Croke Park Agreement? Hmmmmmmm I seriously doubt that Phil.....

Heard him the other evening on Matt Cooper - the big sighs when he was asked about the issues now between landlords and tenants. It's between them says he...

Thanks so Phil....

Who is this God you speak of? Phil Hogan? Or a higher power like Enda LOL

Govt also love the bend over merchants. Let me know what it was like...

Not Phil Hogan lol...
    I'm a tenant so not bending over at all........

iguana wrote: »

I don;t think it will even get that far, already talk of legislation of adding community service to those who don't pay fines, no more imprisonment for not paying fines, they will take the fine and the extra charges from your pay or dole over a period of time.

Heard him the other evening on Matt Cooper - the big sighs when he was asked about the issues now between landlords and tenants. It's between them says he...

Thanks so Phil....
    In other words he didnt legislate or think of that one so cue the brown stuff hitting the fan shortly on both sides, landlords in the hole as the rent doesnt cover the mortgage and a tenant who is just meeting the rent...two worlds colliding, wont be pretty but Phil the clown has washed his hands of it already.
    Not Phil Hogan lol...
    I'm a tenant so not bending over at all........
    Sweet! :D
    I don;t think it will even get that far, already talk of legislation of adding community service to those who don't pay fines, no more imprisonment for not paying fines, they will take the fine and the extra charges from your pay or dole over a period of time.
    They had to get a referendum to cut judges pay FFS so something "complex" like the above will probably need 10 years worth of legal investment LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Malignant Paddy

Go on, enlighten us. What's your alternative?

There is no alternative. That in itself has long been the problem with this particular hole in the ground. Most countries are found content to send their people out for a look around and perhaps to receive an education to boot only to find them home again, ready to build a life. We send them out, fed, watered and educated and rarely expect to see them again. There is no life to be had here as there is and too often has been no work to speak off, cyclically speaking.

Ireland sends its people into the world out of sheer necessity. Its no surprize to anyone today that not only do we speciaize in cyclical unemployment, we also specialize in cyclical economic mis-management, cyclical endemic corruption with a generous helping of cyclical cronyism.

Those that remain, remain only to bear witness to that which we cyclically create. We are now in the process of de-constructing education, Heathcare has long made its home in the toilet. Lets face it, our infrastructure generally does not bear close examination. The negation of our commitment to accountability has served to accomplish that particular goal. Cyclically speaking of course.

Still we persist in employing ex-teachers & barristers to run what is essentially a financial operation, who appear for the most part to have availed of the longest liquid lunch break in history of civilization. We have always and continue to pay them well enough to facilitate their insulation from those austerity measures they propose to inflict on others. There is much to be said and done about that particular state of affairs. However a place at the top table has been booked in advance, in that our legislative instruments, together with our constitution has set such in stone.

So Vlad, whats the alternative?

Cyclically we are up to our eyes in ****e. Everything we do, and have ever done was and is done to prepare our economy to become cyclically absurd, which today is clearly yet again what we have become. Cyclically speaking.

Change is the only alternative, however you need the young to stay on to help facilitate that process. The older generations have proved incapable of facilitating such. They have left in their wake yet another entire generation of young people growing up on welfare and there is no change in sight. The inorganic creation of work will not serve to shed light on that particular conundrum. We can educate them, if it is education they want, however an education that results in a job offer cleaning toilets will serve to send them away. Ironic really.

We have already begun to lay the ground work for yet another exodus, and so we will no doubt begin again. Cyclically speaking.

So lets have a discussion on a €100 stealth tax, its animated, so full of vitality, however, it will have a short shelf life and in the end will become nothing more than a well preserved cyberfile in a sea of stagnant servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I refuse to pay a tax on owning somewhere to live. I already paid stamp duty. They go and f*$k themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

No one will go to court.

Everyone will pay.

Eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Hold on, wasn't the Croke park agreement brought in Under the The previous **** house Government??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement