Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

I doubt that SV had any tyre problem and the team were just trying to slow him down.

You're bang on. Horner confirmed it with the BBC on the F1 forum. They knew if they asked him normally he wouldn't slow down, but tell him that he might put himself out of the race, and his radio transmission says it all, "Seb: Saving the tyres, Saving the tyres. Rocky: Good Boy."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I dont know why the ferrari guys didnt let him by Alonso to have a shot at hassling MW.

I don't see how that would have ended with anything other than Alonso ending up with less than the 15 points he was guaranteed with Massa behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I don't see how that would have ended with anything other than Alonso losing more than the 15 points he was guaranteed with Massa behind him.

Could have caused Webber to go on the defensive, allowing Alonso to catch up and potentially take P2.

Daniel S wrote: »
    Could have caused Webber to go on the defensive, allowing Alonso to catch up and potentially take P2.

Maybe, or maybe he would've crashed trying to get past for the sake of 3 points when he had a guaranteed 15 with Massa behind him. Bag the 15 and live to fight another day was the safest (only?) option, I guess we'll never know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Maybe, or maybe he would've crashed trying to get past for the sake of 3 points when he had a guaranteed 15 with Massa behind him. Bag the 15 and live to fight another day was the safest (only?) option, I guess we'll never know. :)

He could have gone ahead and taken out Webber. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Massa given one year contract extension.

From Autosport:
    Felipe Massa will stay at Ferrari for another season after the Italian squad confirmed a new deal for the Brazilian driver on Tuesday.

Massa's position alongside Fernando Alonso was in doubt for several months after a poor start to the season during which he struggled to even score points.

Before this year's Japanese Grand Prix, the Brazilian had last been on the podium in 2010 in Korea.

Massa, however, turned his form around and began to show the kind of competitiveness Ferrari wanted from him, a resurgence that has secured him a contract extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Delighted for him, he's been through an awful run of form & great to see him bounce back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Massa given one year contract extension.

From Autosport:

Yeah just after getting the release now. One year deal shows only a desire to take him to 2014 and the new regs when the Ferrari will be a plump drive and with the Vettel rumours emanating from Ferrari over the weekend....

I'd also say that Massa got the drive because if Ferrari were interested in someone like Hulkenberg (and lets assume they were) he would have baulked at a one year deal with no security.

Massa's been much more competitive since mid-season (from Silverstone he started to find his form) so he could be a very useful driver next season in tersm of collecting Constructors' points

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Logical decision really, if he keeps his form from the last few races, he could well factor in the title battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The whatwillkimidonext.com website now redirects to makiacloting.com with a weird video advertisement with Kimi in it.

Bit of an anti climax really.

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »
    The whatwillkimidonext.com website now redirects to makiacloting.com with a weird video advertisement with Kimi in it.

Bit of an anti climax really.

Eugh, bloody corporate nonsense building hopes to be a bloody huge shock move for Kimi only to have bloody hopes bloody dashed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

frostie500 wrote: »

Massa's been much more competitive since mid-season (from Silverstone he started to find his form) so he could be a very useful driver next season in tersm of collecting Constructors' points

What do you think changed in Massa since the year began. Its great news for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I don't see how that would have ended with anything other than Alonso ending up with less than the 15 points he was guaranteed with Massa behind him.

Just so he could attack webber and maybe ruin his tyres, cause a mistake, etc
    if it didnt work switch FA and FM back on the last lap.

What do you think changed in Massa since the year began. Its great news for him.

Maybe improvements to the car made it easier for him to extract more performance out of it. I get the impression Alonso is better at driving around problems.

Pastor Maldonado behind the wheel of Damon Hill's 1996 championship winning Williams Renault FW18:

1350488393-hdd.jpg

16507.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭duke916

EnterNow wrote: »
    Delighted for him, he's been through an awful run of form & great to see him bounce back

Do ya think he's bouncing back or has someone gven him a sudden 'temporary' shot in the arm so to speak? ..as a last gasp.

Reckon he's being used as a seat filler until next year when vettel comes in. Nobody else on the grid that would suit ferrari thats available at this time so why not stick with someone who knows the car instead of having to bed them in for a season. He has good ability but there are a few new comers in F1 now pushing him down the pecking order. DiResta, Grojean (despite his errors) and Perez all learning quickly. As for Maldonado, complete retard. Wouldnt give the guy a seat on a bus if it was full.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭duke916

Daniel S wrote: »

was thinking this during the race. i remember massa radioing in and telling them he was quicker than alonso at that stage of the race. webber was only a few seconds ahead. ferrari could have unleashed massa onto webber, fought, taken time to defend etc thus allowing alonso to catch up quicker. webber would have worn some of his tyres and perhaps fallen back a little making the last few laps more interesting. anyhoo yeah, alonso might have had something to say about letting massa by, but it would have paid off imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I would guess he has known his drive was secure for the last few races and the pressure has been off. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I would guess he has known his drive was secure for the last few races and the pressure has been off. :)

I reckon he's known since the Italian GP, I remember him in the drivers press conference with Lewis, while all the heat was on Lewis that weekend with the Merc rumors, they eventually asked Feilpe about his future and his body language said it all, completely laid back almost to the point of not caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Pastor Maldonado behind the wheel of Damon Hill's 1996 championship winning Williams Renault FW18:

Saw that on twitter this morning and was frankly surprised they would trust a piece of their history to him. They also had an FW08 (I think) out today. Pastor wasn't allowed near that one!

Speaking of the FW18; Damon has been chosen to drive the RB6 at the Circuit de Catalunya at the final of the Formula Renault 3.5 season on Sunday. Interesting they chose him, doesn't Coulthard usually get those gigs? Maybe he's busy.

http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Article/hill-red-bull-show-car-021243271212199

• Advertisement

Rascasse wrote: »
    Saw that on twitter this morning and was frankly surprised they would trust a piece of their history to him. They also had an FW08 (I think) out today. Pastor wasn't allowed near that one!

You're right about the FWO8. Bruno Senna and Valtteri Bottas were driving it.

Bruno Senna:

16504.jpg

Valtteri Bottas:

bott-will-fw08-silv-2012-886x590.jpg

Bottas's fellow Finn, Keke Rosberg drove the #6 Williams FW08 too, back in '82.

I have to say I'm fond of those wheels on the FW08.

Also those turquoise coloured side skirts attached to the sidepods would move up and down depending on a tracks surface to stop air from escaping at the sides for maximum ground effect.

Also, the FW08 powered Keke to the 1982 world championship.

Look at the width of the rear tyres on the FW08.....monsters :cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Beautiful aren't they? And my, I'd almost forgotten how wonderful the William's livery looked like. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The FW18 was a serious motor, loved it.

Would have been nice if Williams let the 6 wheeled FW08D run yesterday:

1994johnathanpalmerwillcr71.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

http://f1news.cz/pictures/photo/2012/10/17/1350488393-hdd.jpg

http://f1.imgci.com/PICTURES/CMS/16500/16507.jpg

Is it just me or does his head and helmet look photoshopped in?

antodeco wrote: »
    Is it just me or does his head and helmet look photoshopped in?

I thought the same thing when I seen it, just looks off for some reason

Would have been nice if Williams let the 6 wheeled FW08D run yesterday:

1994johnathanpalmerwillcr71.jpg

Was there any logic behind that thing? What was the reason for 6 wheels??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

EnterNow wrote: »
    Was there any logic behind that thing? What was the reason for 6 wheels??
    It allowed them to have longer ground-effect skirts and more downforce as a result.

Advertisement