Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

EnterNow wrote: »
    The breakdown of results is pretty shocking, if I were Hamilton I wouldn't find them very inspiring going into next season.

I feel bad having to repost it every so often, because otherwise people forget and they just go ... ah schumi is crap, he is finished, nico is destroying him etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

vectra wrote: »
    Be a schumacher fanboy if you wish.

Why is anyone who respects Schumacher, & looks at the obvious tally of technical issues the Merc has had...automatically a 'fanboy' Even the use of the word 'fanboy' belongs in American schoolyards, along with the anti-Schumacher stuff.
    I do not think there is any discussion to be had TBH.]

Senna has been the weaker of the two on Saturdays for sure...but on Sunday where it matters, Maldonado has cost the team a haul of points with his attitude. I do think there's a possible champion in him, but if that hot-hotheadedness is part of his personal make-up...they'll have a hell of a job quietening it down.

I feel bad having to repost it every so often, because otherwise people forget and they just go ... ah schumi is crap, he is finished, nico is destroying him etc

Sure even when you post it it goes over the heads of people, childishness to argue against the facts is all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I said it already and I will say it again.
    One excellent race in a season makes him a hero?

Again I will come back to my original comment.
    he should not be in a car now as he is beyond it and is holding up decent drivers.

Time to put his slippers on and sit back.

One excellent race? Add China, San Marino and Italy to that then if you wish.

Sure even when you post it it goes over the heads of people, childishness to argue against the facts is all

Even Herbert started saying MS was not doing well on the post race at singapore, I was thinking what is he on, he can he forget the bad luck.

I for one am delighted MS had a penalty in Monaco, because without it he would have been sailing away in the lead until the retirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

RayM wrote: »
    I can't help wondering if we've been watching the same sport. Schumacher won seven times in 2006. Finished? Seriously?

Had Ferrari not made the massive mistake of replacing him with Raikkonen, Schumacher would almost certainly have been champion again in 2007 and 2008. Say what you like about Schumacher - at least he didn't deteriorate so much that Ferrari had to cut his contract short and effectively pay him not to drive for them. :)

I think you are getting confused there.

Ferrari.. Mistake..Kimi??
    What did Kimi do in 2007 that Schumacher could not do in 2005/6 ?
    Yes.
    Win the WDC.

Schumacher took a break.. Kimi also took a break
    Look at where they both stand now?

Loo,
    Everyone loses their edge at some point in their live's as they get older.
    Be it snooker.Motor Sport..Horse riding.Tennis..
    You name it.

As you get older you get more "cautious"
    Put that Cautiousness down to losing several hundreds per corner.. Where does that leave you on the track?
    Someplace the team does not want.
    He knew this and as much as admitted it.

This is waht I was saying when he was finished in 2005/6.. He simply lost his edge..

No need to go wetting yourself over it.
    It happens all the time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

qually results 2012

Pastor Maldonado - 12
    Bruno Senna - 2
    He is destroying Senna.

Qually doesn't matter one bit, its points on the board is what matters, you know that. Just to be clear, Maldonado is destroying Senna by beating him by 4 points in the Championship standings but you feel Rosberg isn't destroying Shumy by being 50 points ahead of him? I'm just trying to figure out how you define someone "destroying" someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

vectra wrote:
    Ferrari.. Mistake..Kimi??
    What did Kimi do in 2007 that Schumacher could not do in 2005/6 ?
    Yes.
    Win the WDC.

A huge and very expensive mistake. They ended up having to pay him not to drive for them. What part of that do you fail to understand? Schumacher would easily have won the 2007 championship. And he would undoubtedly have won in 2008 too.
    vectra wrote:
    Schumacher took a break.. Kimi also took a break
    Look at where they both stand now?

Yes, one of them is in a good car... the other is in a crap one. When Schumacher was Raikkonen's current age (32/33), he was in the middle of a five-year championship-winning streak.
    vectra wrote:
    This is waht I was saying when he was finished in 2005/6.. He simply lost his edge..

As has already been said (and you have conveniently ignored), Schumacher won seven races in 2006. Just to put that into some perspective, that's only two less than Raikkonen scored during his entire ill-fated stint at Ferrari. Not bad at all for a driver who had supposedly lost his edge. :)

A huge and very expensive mistake. They ended up having to pay him not to drive for them. What part of that do you fail to understand? Schumacher would easily have won the 2007 championship. And he would undoubtedly have won in 2008 too.

Yawn ,,!!
    Speculation.
    Show me the proof?

Yes, one of them is in a good car... the other is in a crap one. When Schumacher was Raikkonen's current age (32/33), he was in the middle of a five-year championship-winning streak.

Currently
    Kimi @ 149 Points
    Rosberg @ 93
    Roman @ 83
    Schumacher @ 43 ??

Rosberg is driving the same "Crap" car as Schumacher is according to you but yet is beating Roman in a superior car.. But hold on.. Why is Schumacher 50 points behind his team mate?

And that 5 year streak you talk about..
    There were lots of drivers on the grid could possibly have done the same in HIS car.

As has already been said (and you have conveniently ignored), Schumacher won seven races in 2006. Just to put that into some perspective, that's only two less than Raikkonen scored during his entire ill-fated stint at Ferrari. Not bad at all for a driver who had supposedly lost his edge. :)

Winners are winners.
    Losers are Losers.

He was the king of the track and suddenly got beaten twice in a row.. Then rertired..Came back and where has we went??
    When did he show his superiority over his team mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

vectra wrote:
    Yawn ,,!!
    Speculation.
    Show me the proof?

Look at Schumacher's performances in the 2006 season, when he won seven races (not sure if I mentioned that already), while Massa won just two. Raikkonen didn't win at all that year, incidentally. It stands to reason that Schumacher would have scored more points than Massa in 2007 and 2008, thus probably winning both championships.

Try showing us some proof to substantiate your frankly laughable claim that Schumacher had somehow "lost his edge" in 2005/2006.
    vectra wrote:
    Why is Schumacher 50 points behind his team mate?

I'm beginning to doubt that you actually watch much F1. How many car failures has Schumacher suffered this year? How many has Rosberg suffered?
    vectra wrote:
    And that 5 year streak you talk about..
    There were lots of drivers on the grid could possibly have done the same in HIS car.

Name them. Oh, and prove it too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I'm beginning to doubt that you actually watch much F1. How many car failures has Schumacher suffered this year? How many has Rosberg suffered?
    In fairness how many failures had Schumacher vs Reubens from 2000 to 2005?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

3 laps from the end of his first career, you're right, he was well past it!

Qually doesn't matter one bit, its points on the board is what matters, you know that. Just to be clear, Maldonado is destroying Senna by beating him by 4 points in the Championship standings but you feel Rosberg isn't destroying Shumy by being 50 points ahead of him? I'm just trying to figure out how you define someone "destroying" someone else.

Maldonado is much faster in the races as well. He has had some accidents but he is a born racer. He just IS much better than Senna. He has great potential.

MS is outqualifying an outracing NR this year. He has lost 60 points + through DNF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Re Senna vs Maldonado; I think it's the equivalent to the whole "better to have a quick unreliable car than a reliable slow car" philosophy. If Maldonado can be tamed then he's possibly world champion material, whereas it doesn't look like Senna is ever going to be anything but average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Talk that all may not be well for the Austin GP. From Will Buxton:
    Oh dear. All appears not to be well at COTA. Garages haven't been built to spec and are far too small. Teams meeting Charlie to discuss. Health and safety won't allow them to work in the garages. Bernie won't allow them to work under tarpaulin. One royal screw up brewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I do believe Schumacher has lost something but, that being the case , for him to be mixing it with the top guys and be generally as fast as rosberg at 43 says a lot about his genius.
    If rosberg is anywhere near Lewis next year, there will be a realisation of just how quick Schumacher still is.

Rascasse wrote: »
    Talk that all may not be well for the Austin GP. From Will Buxton:

What is it with F1 & America...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

If they can work in the small garages in Monaco, they can work in Texas. If space is limited they can use a lower pit speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

recyclebin wrote: »
    If they can work in the small garages in Monaco, they can work in Texas. If space is limited they can use a lower pit speed limit.

True but it shouldn't be the case at a circuit built from scratch. Someone fecked up big time.

Sounds like bernie is up to his old tricks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

I drove Austin yesterday for 2 hours on a new F1 game -what a track to drive seriously. You battle the car everywhere except long back straight. Great wide braking zones opportunities for multiple entry and exit lines, + KERS and DRS it's mad!

but hey.. what will kimi do next?

or Schumi?

Isn't Kimi confirmed for Lotus for next season??

Not.

His birthday is 17.10. and looks like some kind of contract announcement will happen then.

No,
    But Eric has said he feels that he will have the same lineup next season.

No,
    But Eric has said he feels that he will have the same lineup next season.

That video does hint at some kind of mysterious announcement though doesn't it? Surely not Ferrari?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I heard he has been given Loebs drive at Citroen. Keep it on the QT though.

But in all seriousness that youtube video and website are strange to say the least.

I heard he was been given Loebs drive at Citroen. Keep it on the QT though.

But in all seriousness that youtube video and website are strange to say the least.

to replace Loeb?? that would be something.

yeah, mystic video and the web site are made of marketing agency Pulp who are usually working with extreme sports and they're good promoting young talents.
    That said I have feeling Kimi could have another "hobby" beside F1 next year. Something extreme -probably related to rally, snowmobiles whatelese.. even something flashy and fun as Ken Block's Gymkhana.

Well the engine note in the video definitely sounds F1'esque...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

freestyla wrote: »
    That said I have feeling Kimi could have another "hobby" beside F1 next year. Something extreme -probably related to rally, snowmobiles whatelese.. even something flashy and fun as Ken Block's Gymkhana.

Hurling?

• Advertisement

Very silly about Austin but I'd guess the "Health and safety won't allow them to work in the garages" thing is just a bargaining chip. I mean if you look at the size difference between the current garages they'd have to make the garages to the same scale as the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too for it to actually be too small for the teams to work in.

Advertisement