Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Jon Noble has just tweeted that Schumacher is retiring - official.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Rascasse wrote: »
    Jon Noble has just tweeted that Schumacher is retiring - official.

Can't bring my self to thank that... :( Really REALLY wanted to see him go to Sauber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Martin Brundle has tweeted it too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

About time he went.
    Old fogie getting in the way of younger talent. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It's a shame, the real pity was retiring in 2006, should never have happened.

He is and always will be the best in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

vectra wrote: »
    About time he went.
    Old fogie getting in the way of younger talent. :D

He really got in the way at Monaco didn't he, top of the field & all :rolleyes:

Anyway, gutted he's going, gutted we never got a final chance to see him shine, gutted he pretty much wasted his comeback in that dog box of a car, gutted to see him go.

At least we got to see him on the podium one last time.

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah, it's on the BBC Sport Site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19826983

From that link
    During the past month I was not sure if I still had the motivation and energy which is necessary to go on

In fairness, it must have took the life & soul out of him driving that Merc for three seasons. The constant weight & expectations of glory on your back, yet knowing you simply couldn't deliver. I know he was well paid for it, but as a racer, it must have been tortuous at times for him

The Merc brand raised the expectations, it's a big name and automatically makes people think that they would be quick.

I'm sure that weasel Darren Heath will be loving this, but he can go **** himself anyway, he would love to belittle Schumacher all day and night if he could.

Gintonious wrote: »
    The Merc brand raised the expectations, it's a big name and automatically makes people think that they would be quick.

I'm sure that weasel Darren Heath will be loving this, but he can go **** himself anyway, he would love to belittle Schumacher all day and night if he could.

To belittle the most successful driver in the history of the sport, says more about oneself I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

He really isn't.

qually results 2012

Pastor Maldonado - 12
    Bruno Senna - 2

• Advertisement

Just on another note.

With the uncertainty about Massa and Ferrari, and the rumor of Vettel to Ferrari in 2014, does anyone think the problem Ferrari have is that they want a driver for one year but no one will sign for the year.

If they announce, lets say Hulkenberg, for a 2 year deal, then that surely means that Vettel won't be in a red car for a while yet.

EnterNow wrote: »
    He really got in the way at Monaco didn't he, top of the field & all :rolleyes:

What,
    Stuck in 7th until he retired from the race..
    You call that topping the field?
    One good quali in 3 years and he is brilliant.
    Good riddance is all I can say

What,
    Stuck in 7th until he retired from the race..
    You call that topping the field?
    One good quali in 3 years and he is brilliant.
    Good riddance is all I can say

I think he was referring to the pole position time in qualifying.

I think the 91 victories and 7 championships in his career would make him "brilliant", no?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just on another note.

With the uncertainty about Massa and Ferrari, and the rumor of Vettel to Ferrari in 2014, does anyone think the problem Ferrari have is that they want a driver for one year but no one will sign for the year.

If they announce, lets say Hulkenberg, for a 2 year deal, then that surely means that Vettel won't be in a red car for a while yet.

Which is why I think they will stick with Massa - because they have no other choice. Vettel to arrive in 2014 and Alonso to retire soon thereafter - especially if he's won a 3rd title which is his aim.

Although the man to ask about predicting the future is EJ it seems. :)

I think Alonso will be at Ferrari for another few years yet, maybe even beyond his current contract.

It's clear that he is the man for them at the minute, Ferrari like to be lead by a driver with the talent and determination of a man like Alonso, he is very at home there also and when he is happy, he is dangerous, this year shows that.

I'm not sure if the Vettel/Ferrari stories are anything to go by really, I could see why Vettel would want to drive for them, to cement his legacy, but if Alonso is still there it would be a huge gamble. He is very at home at RB and gets priority from them as well.

I do see Ferrari sticking with Massa, but if it is only a one year thing then the Vettel rumor is very much on the table.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Vectra we all know how you feel about Schumacher fair enough. But don't turn this thread into a mess OK?

LOL
    I was waiting for this post.

I wondered how long it would take.
    Anytime I post my opinion on Him I get told shut up by you.
    I suppose an infraction is coming now as usual :P

LOL
    I was waiting for this post.

I wondered how long it would take.
    Anytime I post my opinion on Him I get told shut up by you.
    I suppose an infraction is coming now as usual :P

I think its perfectly valid to not be a fan of Schumacher, thats not the issue. The issue is you cannot argue with the mans record, & as I said earlier, it says more about the person berating him than what they're actually saying.

To deny his previous success is frankly childish, & I suspect thats why you were being warned because it only provokes a response & then a thread decends into chaos. It's fair to say your not a fan, you hate him etc...but denying the achievements is the problem.

There's plenty of drivers I don't like. I really dislike Vettel, i hate when he wins, yet I'm big & bold enough to hold my hand up and say he's probably one of the top three best drivers on the grid. I acknowledge his achievements despite no liking him :)

I think its perfectly valid to not be a fan of Schumacher, thats not the issue. The issue is you cannot argue with the mans record, & as I said earlier, it says more about the person berating him than what they're actually saying.

To deny his previous success is frankly childish, & I suspect thats why you were being warned because it only provokes a response & then a thread decends into chaos. It's fair to say your not a fan, you hate him etc...but denying the achievements is the problem.

There's plenty of drivers I don't like. I really dislike Vettel, i hate when he wins, yet I'm big & bold enough to hold my hand up and say he's probably one of the top three best drivers on the grid. I acknowledge his achievements despite no liking him :)

I think you misunderstood my post.
    I was specifically posting about his current run in F1.
    Not his previous time.

Over the past 3 years he should have never came back.
    I have been watching F1 with many years, When Alonso took his glory crown in 2005/2006 it was the end of him. I remember distinctly saying to a group of friends in 2005 that he was finished and he had lost the edge and should call it a day..
    I think I was right. Don't you?

qually results 2012

Pastor Maldonado - 12
    Bruno Senna - 2

All that and yet only four points between them in the championship. Senna doesn't need to destroy Maldonado, he's doing it to himself

Nope, this year he's been excellent. Look at the amount of DNF's from car failure, they speak for themselves like.

He may not be the driver he was, but I don't see anyone saying he is, but for a man who's critics say has 'lost it', I'm satisfied he hasn't. It's just a shame we will never truly know how competitive he still is because he wasn't in a competitive car.

I'll say no more on it because its pointless now, I'm glad he came back & think it was great to see the legend ion action a few more times.

• Advertisement

I think you misunderstood my post.
    I was specifically posting about his current run in F1.
    Not his previous time.

I have been watching F1 with many years, When Alonso took his glory crown in 2005/2006 it was the end of him. I remember distinctly saying to a group of friends in 2005 that he was finished and he had lost the edge and should call it a day..

To say that 2006 was the end of him is a bit laughable, have a look at Brazil 2006, and tell he that it was a clear sign of the end of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I can't help wondering if we've been watching the same sport. Schumacher won seven times in 2006. Finished? Seriously?

Had Ferrari not made the massive mistake of replacing him with Raikkonen, Schumacher would almost certainly have been champion again in 2007 and 2008. Say what you like about Schumacher - at least he didn't deteriorate so much that Ferrari had to cut his contract short and effectively pay him not to drive for them. :)

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I`m not so sure, Alonso strikes me as a very emotional of person that can change his mind very quickly.

I think he is as well, but his emotion also is a strong point, like when things are making him happy, like support from the team management, then he is unstoppable.

He strikes me as the only person on the grid in the past few years that could lead Ferrari after Schumacher. He is quickly making it his team definitively, even with the tractor he has this year he is leading the championship and his consistency is incredible.

If he gets a championship with them, I can only see him getting stronger.

RayM wrote: »
    Iat least he didn't deteriorate so much that Ferrari had to cut his contract short and effectively pay him not to drive for them. :)

Aw man, don't :o:(

To say that 2006 was the end of him is a bit laughable, have a look at Brazil 2006, and tell he that it was a clear sign of the end of him.
    I said it already and I will say it again.
    One excellent race in a season makes him a hero?

Again I will come back to my original comment.
    he should not be in a car now as he is beyond it and is holding up decent drivers.

Time to put his slippers on and sit back.

MS has had a decent comeback in a rubbish car.

Year 1 he was unlucky and rusty,
    Yr 2 he matched NR.
    Yr 3 appalling luck and he has beaten NR.

Stop this BS about alonso taking his crown in 2006, MS was in the title hunt until car failure removed him from the lead in the 2nd last race.

The Japanese Grand Prix was led by Schumacher with only 16 laps to go, when, for the first time since the 2000 French Grand Prix, Schumacher's car suffered an engine failure. Alonso won the race, giving himself a ten point championship lead with only Brazil left

We all remember MS last race for ferrari, a drive of such brilliance worthy of the man's legend. It has been fantastic to see this 21 year vet showing the youngsters.

I don't mind you coming on here with your opinions once you actually think about what you are saying 1st. I have posted complete breakdown of MS results in 2011 and 2012 on this site, you have read them and yet you still come out with this BS.

I have posted complete breakdown of MS results in 2011 and 2012 on this site, you have read them and yet you still come out with this BS.

The breakdown of results is pretty shocking, if I were Hamilton I wouldn't find them very inspiring going into next season.

I don't mind you coming on here with your opinions once you actually think about what you are saying 1st. I have posted complete breakdown of MS results in 2011 and 2012 on this site, you have read them and yet you still come out with this BS.

We are all entitled to our opinions.
    My opinion is that he should not have come back. And I am glad he is gone.
    What gives you the right to tell me to stop posting my opinion?

This is an open forum and we are entitled to post our opinions.
    Anyhow,
    Be a schumacher fanboy if you wish.
    Sorry but he never was and never will be the hero he is made out to be for me.

All that and yet only four points between them in the championship. Senna doesn't need to destroy Maldonado, he's doing it to himself

I do not think there is any discussion to be had TBH.

Mal has probably lost 60 points this year. But he is young.

Bahrain and Canada represent the only two races Senna has qualified higher than his team-mate. In Bahrain, Maldonado was forced out after Q1 with technical issues and took no further part.

Senna won the in-house Williams battle in Canada. However, Maldonado was on course for a top-ten spot before an error at the final corner.

• Advertisement

We are all entitled to our opinions.
    My opinion is that he should not have come back. And I am glad he is gone.
    What gives you the right to tell me to stop posting my opinion?

This is an open forum and we are entitled to post our opinions.
    Anyhow,
    Be a schumacher fanboy if you wish.
    Sorry but he never was and never will be the hero he is made out to be for me.

All I am saying is you should actually think about what you are saying 1st. Saying MS is finished, and alonso broke him in 2006 is rubbish, and it makes you appear clueless about F1.

I am not a fanboy. You do not like him. Grand.

Is he one of the best ever .... yes, saying otherwise just because you don't like him is stupid.

Advertisement