Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Di Resta on Mercedes' radar to replace Schumacher
    Mercedes CEO Nick Fry has admitted that Paul di Resta would "undoubtedly" be one of the drivers that the team would consider to replace Michael Schumacher.

http://en.espnf1.com/mercedes/motorsport/story/79120.html?CMP=chrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I know Shumi's contract is up at the end of this season, is it all but certain he'll retire again? Or could he stay for another year maybe?

EnterNow wrote: »
    I know Shumi's contract is up at the end of this season, is it all but certain he'll retire again? Or could he stay for another year maybe?

I honestly cannot see him staying.
    Waste of time and money for Mercedes to have him.
    DeRista would be miles cheaper and quite possibly a better option for them.
    I would like to see him teamed up with Nico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Is there any possibility that they would fire Schumacher before the end of the season if he continues his current form and replace him with somebody like Adrian Sutil?

vectra wrote: »
    f1dan wrote: »
    Is there any possibility that they would fire Schumacher before the end of the season if he continues his current form

Seriously? Up until Rosbergs sole win, I thought Schumi had the edge on him on race day :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

f1dan wrote: »
    Is there any possibility that they would fire Schumacher before the end of the season if he continues his current form

Seriously? Up until Rosbergs sole win, I thought Schumi had the edge on him on race day :confused:
    DiResta will get Schumi's seat, Ricciardo will get Webber's and hopefully Vicky Piria will get Massa's seat. :D

Di Resta sure is good enough, & could be a serious force in a top end car. I'm just curious as to whether its generally accepted if Schui will retire, or if there's a possible one season contract left in it for him?

We've no idea how much he may/may not have contributed off the track in terms of development/set up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Daniel S wrote: »
    DiResta will get Schumi's seat, Ricciardo will get Webber's and hopefully Vicky Piria will get Massa's seat. :D

Perez will get Massa's seat I'd say. Ferrari young driver program graduate, he's stepped up this year. He was excellent last season and has taken that form into his second year. Seems ready for the move to bigger things sooner rather than later.

Di Resta sure is good enough, & could be a serious force in a top end car. I'm just curious as to whether its generally accepted if Schui will retire, or if there's a possible one season contract left in it for him?

We've no idea how much he may/may not have contributed off the track in terms of development/set up etc.
    I think he said if he doesn't do well, he'll leave it at the end of the year. His year hasn't been very good at all. He'll need to win a race or two for him to stay on next year. I'd love if he won to be honest.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Perez will get Massa's seat I'd say. Ferrari young driver program graduate, he's stepped up this year. He was excellent last season and has taken that form into his second year. Seems ready for the move to bigger things sooner rather than later.
    Ah, yea.. I know he'll get the seat like, but I'd much rather see her in a Ferrari! :D

• Advertisement

Huhh??
    On what planet was that.?

2010 season end

Nico = 142 Points

Schumacher = 72 Points

2011 Season end

Nico = 89 Points

Schumacer = 76 Points

2012 Season to date

Nico = 41 Points

Schumacher = 2 Points :eek:

Since Mercedes started with their campaign in 2010 with both drivers

Nico = 272 points

Schumacher = 150 Points.

That surely says it all

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The numbers don't tell the full story, the was many times last season where Schumacher out drove Rosberg on race day. He has also been quite unlucky a number of times with incidents outside his control effecting his race.

Results - Points - Championships.

Scumacher is well off the mark but as usual there are way too many Schumacher worshippers on here that just won't admit he never really was as good as people thought he was.:pac:

( I will get my coat ) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Results - Points - Championships.

Scumacher is well off the mark but as usual there are way too many Schumacher worshippers on here that just won't admit he never really was as good as people thought he was.:pac:

( I will get my coat ) :P

Using your own criteria, pick a driver who is better over their career.

Results - Points - Championships

Seems to me Schumacher great skill is building a team around him, but that takes a few years. Also no matter how good you are you need a bit of luck, and he hasn't much since hes come back. Not to mention its going to be an uphill task to come back from retirement like he has. I think he would probably come good in time. But I doubt he'll get the time for it to happen.

Does Rosberg really have that good a career record in F1? Do you really think his results are going to improve? With or without Schumacher on the same team. I can't see it myself.

The numbers don't tell the full story, the was many times last season where Schumacher out drove Rosberg on race day. He has also been quite unlucky a number of times with incidents outside his control effecting his race.

Big time agree here, the points tally don't even come close to the amount of bad luck he has had, totally outside of his control. Similarly, Rosberg has been in a position to score far heavily than he has & hasn't.

I wouldn't consider myself a schumacher worshipper, I simply feel he's a better driver than the points show. I do rate him highly, but even now I'm starting to wonder if he's lost it. You'd think after three years we'd have an answer to this, but it's not as simple as comparing points.

I would really like to see him on the podium, one last time if anything. The Merc for two seasons hasn't been near competitive, & although it's much improved, it's still lacking that something, the sweet spot still eludes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

The way I see it is for outright speed there is probably 10 guys on the grid that are quicker drivers than Schumacher now, there is also over a dozen that he is still a better driver than. For that reason alone he deserves to be where he is.

What makes him a real asset is in my opinion his experience and his intelligence.
    He is the second most experienced driver in the sport ever. He has won 91 gps, he knows what what needs to be done to make a team win.

The thing people also seem to overlook when they talk about Schumacher being too slow now is how underrated his team mate is. He is a bloody good driver and is in my opinion in the top 3 quickest easily.

Again results dont tell the full story, plenty of world class drivers didn't win WDC in F1 and their are drivers that wouldn't be amazing that have won races. Just one example Brundle was very unlucky and never won a F1 race but was a brilliant driver (who used to beat Senna in other Formula`s).
    It's even more unlucky on the lads who cant even get into top tier motorsport because of sponsorship, or people not born into motorsport families, it's almost impossible for them to get involved.

Tell me about it I know somebody who is getting everything thrown at them and its just because they are female.
    Well if she's as good looking as Vicky Piria then maybe it's justified! :pac:

I know a driver who raced against current/former F1 drivers in carting/low formulas but is now working a normal job (afaik anyway). I haven't seen him drive (I'm only 18 like) but was supposed to be amazing.

There so much more going and than simply the driving.

Tell me about it I know somebody who is getting everything thrown at them and its just because they are female.

Give Danica my number will ya?

Even among the women drivers often the better looking ones get the cash. For males having the family connections for now seems more important.

• Advertisement

Hamilton doesn't seem to fit the profile though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Hamilton's actually out of contract this year too,maybe he could replace massa and be team mates again with Alonso,worked well before :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

OSI wrote: »
    Wasn't it rumored that Schumacher brought a considerable amount of money with him to Mercedes? Wouldn't be surprised if that was a major factor in him still being there, and would wonder if someone like DiResta could realistically replace that.

I doubt Schumacher took any money to Mercedes.
    Just one example Brundle was very unlucky and never won a F1 race but was a brilliant driver (who used to beat Senna in other Formula`s).

Brundle was superb at Benetton in 1992. Scored points in eleven races (four of which were 3rd place finishes and one was a 2nd place finish). Could have won in Canada. Benetton made a mistake dropping him at the end of 1992 imo.

Vicky Piria

Oh hello :D

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    She's fair good looking:

216938_211321078895551_176325105728482_772943_388044_n.jpg

Btw, she's only 18 days older than me. :cool:;)

Btw, she's only 18 days older than me. :cool:;)

18 days, nothing at all. Become her manager ;):D

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    18 days, nothing at all. Become her manager ;):D
    Race engineer, I'm an mechanical engineering student remember! :pac:

Race engineer, I'm an mechanical engineering student remember! :pac:

Indeed. Silly me for forgetting those convo's we had. :o

BostonB wrote: »
    Hamilton doesn't seem to fit the profile though.

In what way?
    It comes down to a combination of factors. Felipe Nasr is in GP2 at the moment, while he has some cash on hand I'd be surprised if anyone gives him a shot in F1 while Massa is there. A lot of people have marketing degrees these days :pac:

• Advertisement

In what way?
    It comes down to a combination of factors. Felipe Nasr is in GP2 at the moment, while he has some cash on hand I'd be surprised if anyone gives him a shot in F1 while Massa is there. A lot of people have marketing degrees these days :pac:

Family connections in the sport previously. AFAIK he has none.

Advertisement