Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Could make for a good race with that long straight. Even without DRS I imagine the drafting would be awesome along that with a long final gear.

The track used to be very bumpy and Mexico City is at altitude so it put drivers and engines under huge strain. From the Comments above maybe they havent castrated the track so much as the Mexican GP was the last race in Mexico I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The track used to be very bumpy and Mexico City is at altitude so it put drivers and engines under huge strain. From the Comments above maybe they havent castrated the track so much as the Mexican GP was the last race in Mexico I saw.

The last time it held an F1 race, the bumps were vicious, plus on top of that, run off areas were a problem.

Peraltada was very bumpy, and Senna, Warwick and Alliot had crashes coming out of there due to the bumps.

This is Alliots crash:

He was unhurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Daniel S wrote: »
    I did notice (almost immediately) that she does look like Alonso! :D

Tried not to think about that though.

2hylcg3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

EnterNow wrote: »
    AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

oh no the silly season has started!!!

The old regulars rare their heads this time of year, Is Schumacher past it? , Is there a woman good enough to drive in formula 1? etc, etc

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    From just a simple bump and the car getting unsettled to that crash.

Indeed. If you take a look at the car that came around the corner after Alliot's crash, you can see how unsettled it became over the bumpy surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    The last time it held an F1 race, the bumps were vicious, plus on top of that, run off areas were a problem.

Peraltada was very bumpy, and Senna, Warwick and Alliot had crashes coming out of there due to the bumps.

This is Alliots crash:

He was unhurt.

yeah that alliott crash was crazy, amazing he came out of that alive. there used to be some great races there, like in 1990 when prost qualified 13th and won with mansell 2nd after mansell overtook berger brialliantly with a few laps to go :)

yeah that alliott crash was crazy, amazing he came out of that alive. there used to be some great races there, like in 1990 when prost qualified 13th and won with mansell 2nd after mansell overtook berger brialliantly with a few laps to go :)

Yeah, Alliot was a luck man. Mansell got by Berger on the outside at Peraltada. Here it is :D

And on another note, the atmospheric (normally aspirated) engines lost about 10% of power due to the altitude of the circuit (2,240m).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Looks like they will be using the same layout as they did in 1992 so :)

Potentially. Although A1GP and Champ Car 2006 had a chicane before the entrance to the Peraltada, so they might use that for "safety concerns".

See http://goo.gl/maps/lDiw

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Potentially. Although A1GP and Champ Car 2006 had a chicane before the entrance to the Peraltada, so they might use that for "safety concerns".

See http://goo.gl/maps/lDiw

I see what you mean. Use the chicane to reduce the speed going into Peraltada.

I guess it all boils down to what the surface is like at Peraltada. If it's going to be very bumpy like it was when F1 last raced there, I can see that chicane you mentioned above being used.

In 1992, they resurfaced Peraltada, and it didn't do much to sort out the bumps there. If anything, it made the situation worse as it got slippy where the new tarmac was laid.

Bumps are always going to be a problem at that circuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Yeah, Alliot was a luck man. Mansell got by Berger on the outside at Peraltada. Here it is :D

And on another note, the atmospheric (normally aspirated) engines lost about 10% of power due to the altitude of the circuit (2,240m).

Once you posted up the Alliot crash I remembered it. Some pass by Mansell though - takes your breath away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Formula 1 governing body the FIA has brought an end to the controversy surrounding Red Bull's floor design, forcing the current World Champions to remove the holes that sit in front of the RB8's rear wheels ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/279438/red-bull-floor-declared-illegal-by-fia/

vectra wrote: »
    Formula 1 governing body the FIA has brought an end to the controversy surrounding Red Bull's floor design, forcing the current World Champions to remove the holes that sit in front of the RB8's rear wheels ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/279438/red-bull-floor-declared-illegal-by-fia/

So now that all of their Drivers & Constructors points have been won with whats been deemed an illegal part...why are they allowed to keep said points?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

EnterNow wrote: »
    So now that all of their Drivers & Constructors points have been won with whats been deemed an illegal part...why are they allowed to keep said points?

Seems strange doesn't it. :confused:

OSI wrote: »
    I think it's because no-one formally lodged a complaint during the race weekend.

Thats mad. However illegal designs & parts are illegal nevertheless & it shouldn't take a formal protest to constitute action on the part of the governing body.

It'd be a raw deal for the drivers, but in the same respect, it's hardly fair for the other drivers to compete with illegalities :)

A Red Bull running illegal parts and getting away with it. Nothing new there. They got away with there floppy front wings for long enough until the FIA started to use realistic loads and measured the deflections.

This is Ted Kravitz take on the holes on the RB8

And these are the now banned holes in front of the tyres:

fia02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

This is Ted Kravitz take on the holes on the RB8

And these are the now banned holes in front of the tyres:

fia02.jpg
    Don't they have to be a slot? Couldn't they just get a jigsaw and cut a line from the inside of the hole to the edge, therefore making it a slot? The carbon fiber should be strong enough anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

OSI wrote: »
    I think it's because no-one formally lodged a complaint during the race weekend.

That's not strictly true. The reason that they are allowed to keep their points is because the cars were legal at the time of each and every Grand Prix run so far in 2012-they passed scrutineering. If they happened to run that configuration in another race however they would fail scrutineering and then lose points and have race bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So the obvious question is why did not Merc not protest? Guaranteed win for Rosberg is they had, does not compute.

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    That's not strictly true. The reason that they are allowed to keep their points is because the cars were legal at the time of each and every Grand Prix run so far in 2012-they passed scrutineering. If they happened to run that configuration in another race however they would fail scrutineering and then lose points and have race bans.

Yeah I see what you mean.

I still think any illegalities should be retroactive, but then again I suppose there has to be room for thinking outside the box/innovation

The problem here is Red Bull probably ran their design by with the FIA and they said it was okay. The other teams probably then said (off the record) to hold on and that it breaks the rules and should not have been allowed. As a compromise they were told to remove it for the next race.

After the spy gate row a few years ago the FIA have tried to avoid any controversy and haven't handed out big bans or taken victories or points off teams.

If the FIA had some balls they could come down strict on teams bending the rules or they could make the rules watertight but they don't seem to want to do this so every team is looking for loopholes to exploit the current regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Not sure if that post worked but its Homer putting speed holes n his car. LOL etc, your so funny pilotdude5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Pilotdude5 wrote: »

fyp
    The best bit is when homer goes home and puts some "speed holes" in his car with a pickaxe.

Hopefully RB are a bit more creative than Homer. I would say they will have a slot just like Sauber/Ferrari for Canada.

The Red Bull RB8 with the holes in the floor reminds me of Renault and the mass dampers in 2006. Both declared illegal during the course of a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pcass31

Yesterday i was at the bavaria city racing in Dublin. really enjoyed jenson button in the mclaren. being the 1st time its bein staged in Dublin you'd expect it not to run perfectly smooth. i can understand they need to control the areas where people view for safety reasons.does anyone else think the barrier fencing being covered in black was a bit much and unnecessary. we went early and found a nice viewing point which could see two parts of the track.just before the off the powers that be realised about 30 of us could see the performance area and proceeded to erect fencing and clad it with black covering blocking our view. i can understand people paid down in that area but half of west morland street could see it for free anyway. was a great day out all the same. just wondering if anyone else has anything to say about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Hasnt been discussed much tbh:rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056484115

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

pcass31 wrote: »
    Yesterday i was at the bavaria city racing in Dublin. really enjoyed jenson button in the mclaren. being the 1st time its bein staged in Dublin you'd expect it not to run perfectly smooth. i can understand they need to control the areas where people view for safety reasons.does anyone else think the barrier fencing being covered in black was a bit much and unnecessary. we went early and found a nice viewing point which could see two parts of the track.just before the off the powers that be realised about 30 of us could see the performance area and proceeded to erect fencing and clad it with black covering blocking our view. i can understand people paid down in that area but half of west morland street could see it for free anyway. was a great day out all the same. just wondering if anyone else has anything to say about this?

I'm sure if they could of blocked off all free viewing they would have!!! It's all about the money :)

Advertisement