Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Here is the dice with Arnoux and Villeneuve at Dijon in 1979.

Race winner Jean Pierre Jabouille was the first driver to win in a turbo charged F1 car, but it wasn't until 1983 when a turbo charged F1 car powered a driver to the championship (Piquet in a Brabham BMW).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    There was an article in F1 Racing a good few years about the track in Rouen, great track.

This was the layout 1955 - 1970:

Rouen%2055.gif

I used to drive that on a game called GP Legends I think it was called. Became Hooked at one stage. But I was seriously good on the Rouen track as I just used to drive that all the time.

Its the Hills, see. Hills make a good track.

Its completely gone now apparently http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouen-Les-Essarts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I used to drive that on a game called GP Legends I think it was called. Became Hooked at one stage. But I was seriously good on the Rouen track as I just used to drive that all the time.

Its the Hills, see. Hills make a good track.

Its completely gone now apparently http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouen-Les-Essarts
    I've driven on it in GP Legends and also a mod for Grand Prix 2. It's a thrilling circuit, especially the downhill section to Nouveau Monde.

Regarding Reims here's something very interesting :)
    http://g.co/maps/r4u4u

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

That layout reminds me of something

Stingray:

Rouen%2055.gif

French GP layout 1955 - 1970:

stingray-Dasyatis-pastinaca-Vermerette-Herm-181009-%C2%A9RLLord-9329-em.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I've driven on it in GP Legends and also a mod for Grand Prix 2. It's a thrilling circuit, especially the downhill section to Nouveau Monde.

Regarding Reims here's something very interesting :)
    http://g.co/maps/r4u4u

Great little video from 4 years ago showing a drive around the remnants of the old circuit. Well worth the watch.

• Advertisement

Great Post. Going Up the Hill was a Great place for overtaking especially just before the turn towards the right.

Dijon is still around. I would love to see a return to there as well as Imola despite its bad memories

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijon-Prenois

Here's a couple of articles about Rouen-les-Essarts.

Article 1

Article 2

Here's a couple of articles about Rouen-les-Essarts.

Article 1

Article 2

Such a shame. Two great articles.

Isuzu and F1.

isuzudx8.jpg

Never knew that till now. Would have been interesting to see how it performed in races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I just bought tickets to paddock for the Bavaria City racing. Complete impulse buy. : /

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Isuzu and F1.

isuzudx8.jpg

Never knew that till now. Would have been interesting to see how it performed in races.

That exhaust manifold is a work of art :cool:

EnterNow wrote: »

Hey man, how are ya?

Exhaust manifold sure looks good.

And on another note, no date was given when Lotus tested the Isuzu powerplant, but I'd say it was around '91 or '92. Back then the Porsche, Ferrari Lamborghini and Honda engines were V12's.

The Porsche engines in 1991 stank and during the season Footwork Arrows went back to using customer Cosworth DFR V8's.

EnterNow wrote: »

Speaking of exhausts, take a look at this one that's on a Ferrari 312:

ferrari-F312.jpg

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

There is something almost.....sexual about that picture :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Sheeps wrote: »
    I just bought tickets to paddock for the Bavaria City racing. Complete impulse buy. : /

Thinking of doing the same as I'm in Dublin that weekend anyways for a different event.

I'm currently looking at the May 2002 edition of F1 Racing (with Jenson Button on the cover).

I'm comparing retirements from the fourth races of the 2002 & 2012 seasons.

10 Retirements from the 2002 San Marino GP:

1: Enrique Bernoldi - Arrows Cosworth A23: fuel pressure - 50 laps.

2: Eddie Irvine - Jaguar R3: driveshaft - 45 laps.

3: Kimi Raikkonen - McLaren Mercedes MP4-17: safety - 44 laps.

4: Olivier Panis - BAR Honda 004: throttle linkage - 30 laps.

5: Pedro De La Rosa - Jaguar R3: driveshaft - 30 laps.

6: Mika Salo - Toyota TF102: gearbox - 26 laps.

7: Heinz Harald Frentzen - Arrows Cosworth A23: fuel pressure - 25 laps.

8: Giancarlo Fisichella - Jordan Honda EJ12: hydraulics - 19 laps.

9: Takuma Sato - Jordan Honda EJ12: gearbox - 5 laps.

10: Alan McNish - Toyota TF102: gearbox 5 laps.

3 retirements from the 2012 Bahrain GP:

1: Charles Pic - Marussia Cosworth MR01: transmission - 24 laps.

2: Pastor Maldonado - Williams Renault FW34: puncture - 25 laps.

3: Bruno Senna - Williams Renault FW34: engine - 54 laps.

There was 11 teams in the 2002 season and 12 teams this season.

If you remove Raikkonen & Maldonado from the equation, you can see how reliable the cars are today compared to those 10 years ago.

Apparently Mark Webber is going to sign for Ferrari next season according to the BBC.

Also this is interesting

http://www.sauberf1team.com/en/news.cfm?id=I4P617A9-%3Cfont_color=000%3ESauber_F1_Team_and_Chelsea_FC_enter_into_partnership%3Cfont%3E

Sauber logos will also appear on billboards around Stamford Bridge and during the interviews of godlike players we can all look up to the likes of John Terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

That is actually a very clever thing for Sauber to do. Hope it works out for them and they keep improving.

When "Out of the Blue" and "True Blue" appeared on the Sauber engine covers, some people thought it was IBM, who are known as "Big Blue".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

If you remove Raikkonen & Maldonado from the equation, you can see how reliable the cars are today compared to those 10 years ago.
    which is a pity IMO, F1 needs more blow ups and more pushing tech to the ragged edge where it can fail, just to mix things up a bit more. The rules governing lasting parts and x per year do nothing for the sport IMO
    Apparently Mark Webber is going to sign for Ferrari next season according to the BBC.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    Ferrari aren't retards, no way that'd happen. Webber is not nearly good enough to justify it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

When "Out of the Blue" and "True Blue" appeared on the Sauber engine covers, some people thought it was IBM, who are known as "Big Blue".

IBM is miserly old skool dinosaurs, will never see sponsoring such a big events :P Just saying since I know the company a bit.

I'm a wondering tho why Google, Paypal etc new modern internet giants are not more visible in such a tech sport as F1 is :confused:
    Imagine they could give a lot in promoting a team or two with all social media networking tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

149491_404218856266758_153238638031449_1296440_1015044970_n.jpg

:)

freestyla wrote: »
    IBM is miserly old skool dinosaurs, will never see sponsoring such a big events

They sponsored the works Porsche 911 GT1 sportscar team in the 90's ;) Don't know how long the relationship lasted for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Ficus wrote: »
    I cant see webber staying on at red bull as they are under pressure to feed people through to them from their driver program, and also they want someone to tow the red bull line and not speak their mind, of which webber regularly does.

Well if any team doesn't want their driver to speak their mind, it's Ferrari. So I don't know how that would wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I wouldnt be too sure about that just yet. Ferrari are in a small bit of a bind at the minute and need a experienced driver along with fernando to help drive the car forwards. Webber is know to be excellent in the setup and development area. And also dont forget that fernando would get a large say in who is his teamate, and they seem to have a high level of respect for each other.
    Remember how everyone thought button was crazy going to Mclaren and that he wasnt good enough and would get schooled by hamilton, well that didnt happen did it!!!
    I cant see webber staying on at red bull as they are under pressure to feed people through to them from their driver program, and also they want someone to tow the red bull line and not speak their mind, of which webber regularly does.
    The problem with Webber is despite having the same car as Seb he regularly comes nowhere. How Redbull still let him drive is beyond me, never mind Ferrari. He deserve nothing better than a mid field team IMO, just never performs as he should and to what the car is capable of.
    Ferrari have an experienced driver in Alonso already, why the pressing need for another? The need a younger long term prospect who can stay there for years and work with them long term rather than the likes of Webber who'll be around for a year or two at most.
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    He is a far better all round driver than Massa. In fact I think my mother is a better driver than Massa :pac:
    True, but there are still better prospect out there. I reckon the Perez move is far more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

The problem with Webber is despite having the same car as Seb he regularly comes nowhere.
    In 2011 maybe - try looking back a little further. He had 4 wins in 2010 compared with 5 for Seb. In 2009 it was 2 vs 4.

Hardly qualifies him for a mid-field team. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Ferrari are not looking for a new number 1. They have Alonso for that. They are just looking for someone reliable to be their number 2 to replace Massa. Webber fits the bill in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Would love to see Mark Webber at Ferrari. He has rarely looked the same driver that was bloody close to winning it in 2010. I think he's been psychologically in a rut since then and needs a change and Ferrari seem to be the only top team with a likely open seat for next year.

• Advertisement

Exactly. And dont forget that Webber got more fastest laps last year than any other driver

Yeah because he spent his races burning through tyres.

Advertisement