Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

no rain for race day but two less sessions setting up brand new cars with two less months development work than last year (due to changes about crash testing having to be done before testing got underway rather than after)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

mickdw wrote: »
    Wet race - Schumacher for his 92nd 1st win.
    :D

There are plenty others out there now would wipe the floor with Schumacher in the rain.. His glory days are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

vectra wrote: »
    There are plenty others out there now would wipe the floor with Schumacher in the rain.. His glory days are long gone.

He has likely lost something for his younger days but IMO, the wet weather ability is something drivers dont lose so much as they get older. Are there some guys who are good wet weather drivers on the grid too, yes of course but I would be of the opinion that a wet race would still be his best chance of a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

mickdw wrote: »
    He has likely lost something for his younger days but IMO, the wet weather ability is something drivers dont lose so much as they get older. Are there some guys who are good wet weather drivers on the grid too, yes of course but I would be of the opinion that a wet race would still be his best chance of a win.

Or his only chance :pac:

well here we go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hopefully the teams aren't sensible, if they are and want to avoid wasting time they probably won't send cars out in the rain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    It will definitely help to keep close to the car in front and overtake but unfortunately, it wont help them catch a car a few seconds up the road.

Mercedes_W03_Rear_Wing_DRS_Open.jpg

".. if they can reduce the front wing downforce on the straights, they can run the car at a lower overall ride height.
    A lower overall ride height would have quite a big benefit all round."

but then again, you are not allowed to alter ride-height between Quali and Race...

http://www.pratperch.com/2012/03/merc-w03-rear-wing/

^^ there few more ideas...

i.e. "another theory, that the air is being channel down the end plates to create a curtain between the wheel and the diffuser, therefore improving the effectiveness of the diffuser"

Anyway it was about time for somebody to invent DRS secondary function. Yes it requires a lot of work to get it right....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

BTW Argentina is close to signing a deal for a new GP in 2013. A new circuit will be built.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98025

I thought something might get done with the circuit in BA that is due to host MotoGP but Id be very sceptical of a deal being done for an all new circuit. There isnt the money available for that kind of thing to be done in Argentina

frostie500 wrote: »
    I thought something might get done with the circuit in BA that is due to host MotoGP but Id be very sceptical of a deal being done for an all new circuit. There isnt the money available for that kind of thing to be done in Argentina

To be held at a seaside resort, I'd hazard a guess it'll be a Valencia kind of set-up.

Maybe they want to build it on the Falkland Islands ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

well, interesting quali. Grosjean great position. Kimi caught out. Mercs and mclaren in great shape.

right off to bed for some shleepy time before Sebring

frostie500 wrote: »
    ... Id be very sceptical of a deal being done for an all new circuit. There isnt the money available for that kind of thing to be done in Argentina
    amacachi wrote: »
    To be held at a seaside resort, I'd hazard a guess it'll be a Valencia kind of set-up.

Would say that South-America economy is booming right, they have **** loads of money now. They re dealing very well with Asian part of world.

I honestly hope they r gonna prioritize the income for solving social problems rather than build new F1 track but seriously harbour track isn't good racing :mad: Few straights and hairpins + a roundabout :pac:
    http://www.canchallena.com/1456801-mar-del-plata-ya-suena-con-su-circuito-callejero-para-la-f1

20120315224537-0.jpg

Yea what can you do greedy big companies and capitalism reaching all over world.

Interlagos and Sao Paulo have already all the F1 and motor racing spirit and atmosphere, Mar del Plata is unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

That would make for a very boring race, might even rival Valencia.

Just found another suggestion Potrero_de_los_Funes_Circuit

SH-SANLUIS05005.jpg

52158.jpg

well that'd be excellent track and place :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

freestyla wrote: »

SH-SANLUIS05005.jpg

52158.jpg

That looks amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Now that's a track that I would like to see some F1 cars zipping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭Glico Man

20120315224537-0.jpg

That has to be the worst looking track layout I've ever seen. I've seen some Scalextric sets look more creative.

SH-SANLUIS05005.jpg

This on the other hand looks glorious. Can't imagine getting there would be easy but what a setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

SH-SANLUIS05005.jpg

That looks amazing but I couldn't see it happening, look at how close the water is to the track and the almost non existent run off areas. There would just be too much work involved to get it up to code safety wise. I'd love to be proved wrong though as that really does look immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

That looks amazing but I couldn't see it happening, look at how close the water is to the track and the almost non existent run off areas. There would just be too much work involved to get it up to code safety wise. I'd love to be proved wrong though as that really does look immense.

Well, as it's a semi-permanent track, that lets them slack a bit... right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

It looks like they have to do a handbrake turn at the end of the pier, But that second track bring it on. It has similarities to Spa, can't really see if there is much difference in heigts.
    On the other hand, which european track will be lost. If it's Valencia it's no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

rua1972 wrote: »
    It looks like they have to do a handbrake turn at the end of the pier, But that second track bring it on. It has similarities to Spa, can't really see if there is much difference in heigts.
    On the other hand, which european track will be lost. If it's Valencia it's no problem.
    It's already been announced that the Spanish GP will alternate between Barcelona and Valencia from next year, so no European GP.

The second track looks amazing but safety could be an issue, there will be little or no run area for cars. Would love to see it happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Would say that South-America economy is booming right, they have **** loads of money now. They re dealing very well with Asian part of world.

I honestly hope they r gonna prioritize the income for solving social problems rather than build new F1 track but seriously harbour track isn't good racing :mad: Few straights and hairpins + a roundabout :pac:
    http://www.canchallena.com/1456801-mar-del-plata-ya-suena-con-su-circuito-callejero-para-la-f1

20120315224537-0.jpg

Yea what can you do greedy big companies and capitalism reaching all over world.

Interlagos and Sao Paulo have already all the F1 and motor racing spirit and atmosphere, Mar del Plata is unnecessary.

I spot 4 DRS zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

PJTierney wrote: »
    I spot 4 DRS zones.

I spot 1 huge DRS zone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

The **** is that?!

Mind blowing intro :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

If there's any McLaren fans around have a look at the first half hour. It really shows Hamilton has been put in his place by Button.

At least fun if not successful :p

45206840670564_a198a040d9_b.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

amacachi wrote: »
    The **** is that?!

Queen and F1 - its got to be Japanese. They love both. Who can blame them.

Advertisement