Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

But its cold outside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Damn you Anne you are giving me the marathon bug again. Big congrats again now lace up those runners and get ready for London:D:D:D

Smashing report by the way

Thanks Dave are you still doing a bit of running, how are things going for you???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Still doing small runs but nothing major not like you anyway. Getting out at least 3 nights per week anything from 4 to 6 miles.

Going to jump ship next year and give a few triathlons a go but will also be doing a few 10k's and half marathon all this talk of marathon's has really started to get me back in the mood and who knows maybe Dublin again.

Going to sign up for the Aware 10k, trying to organise a few people to head up for the day (Farmers shopping day) had put my name down for London but didn't get picked. Need something to get my arse in gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

What a great report, super stuff.

Virtual hugs \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I loved your report, you're a very articulate writer Anne...there could be a future in that you know!
    Well done on your sub 4 by 3 mins - though I think Ecoli has you down for a sub 3.30 in London :D
    No pressure like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Brilliant run, well done Anne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Your hard work certainly paid off!! Well done, that was a great run, you must be delighted :D Roll on London!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done Anne, super race, you paced that one really well!!

Remember sub 3;50 in London and you are guaranteed our place again for the following year. Just saying :D

and so we must continue......

First run post Dublin Marathon - Thursday 1st Novemeber
    my legs were ok on Tuesday morning and i was happy out, this might have been helped with 45mins in the pool, jacuzzi & steamroom before i left the hotel, but my Tuesday evening they were tightening up big time. I gave them a gentle rub of the stick but nothing too serious, Wednesday back into work and lots of steps:eek:...again were ok in the morning but by evening were tightening up again. Out came the stick again for a more thorough session.
    Thursday morning, Bliss, they are more or less back to normal, but after sitting for a while it takes a minute to get the blood flowing again!! Now the toes, the less said about them the better:eek:
    I put on the running gear just to test the feet in the runners and it was grand so i hit the treadmill, although i would have loved to get outside in the beautiful cold winters days but alas was not to be!!!

2.02 lovely slow recovery miles, 11.20 & 10.40 and the legs are grand.

I'll hopefully get 3m recovery/slow tomorrow and if i can Sunday i'll do a LSR (of 4m;)):p:p

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD
    : 28.46m
    MTD: 2.02m
    YTD: 1018.63m

What's next on the agenda?

What's next on the agenda?

Dave, a bit of easy, no pressure running for the next few weeks and then probably the Jingle Bell 5k on 1st Dec (this was my first ever 5k race last year), Raheny in Jan ( i missed it last year) and not sure about feb, but Meath Spring Half in Bohermeen in early March, and d mmmm let me see ...oh yes London in April!!;)

• Advertisement

My legs were a bit heavy on Friday evening after thurs easy run. Set of Sat for a nice easy run in cold frosty but sunny afternoon. the gloves and headband were on and were very much appreciated. i had to wait for the road to de-ice before i could go and they were still a bit frosty so i had to watch my step.

The plan was about 3mile easy, but legs were feeling great so i went to the 2m turning point and had to have a bit of a debate with myself to turn and not be silly so i did! turned into a nice frosy headwind so that blew any cobwegs that were left, right away!! The wind was so strong that i need a short break from it so turned down a side road for a few minutes and then back again. got home and legs were just getting tired so glad i hadn't gone too much further.
    Total 4.55 @ 9.49

Legs were fine after the stretch and shower and toes were fine when out running, but still sore as the blisters are not fully gone so the nails have not rebedded yet!!

Sunday, plan was for a few easy miles. I was out Sat night for a meal and a few drinkw with the Meath Runnign group as its now over for the winter and had stayed in my Mams house, so when i got home the plan was for a few miles before lunch, but you know what it was freezing and lashing and i just decided not to bother:eek:, because i could:D. So fire was lit and dvds with the kids and it was lovely.

Over the week i have had plenty of cross training & exercise, you know the hoovering, mopping, ironing, dusting, eating & drinking kind!!:D

I have the gear with me today for a run, but just before lunch i got a big faint and woozy so no running today, think its just tiredness catching up with me as i haven't had a great night sleep in the past week, hoping to get some soon!! Even the few drinks haven't helped, don't thinking im drinking enough to get knocked out!!

So its Monday again, a new week, 7 weeks till Christmas so time to try and lose a few lbs (again).
    Pilates tonight so i hope to start a core strength programm at home on 2 other evening so 3 times a week shoudl see great improvements!!

The scales this morning read 168.8lbs so target is 161.8 by christmas!!

The running plan is few week easy running, and then probably something like this!!

Jinglebells 5k on 1st December or Castleblaney 5km on 2nd Dec
    Rahey 5m in Jan
    Meath Spring Half Marathon in Bohermeen 4th March
    London Marathon 21st April

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD
    : 33.01m
    MTD: 6.57m
    YTD: 1023.18m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Younganne wrote: »
    Dave, a bit of easy, no pressure running for the next few weeks and then probably the Jingle Bell 5k on 1st Dec (this was my first ever 5k race last year), Raheny in Jan ( i missed it last year) and not sure about feb, but Meath Spring Half in Bohermeen in early March, and d mmmm let me see ...oh yes London in April!!;)

Oh you name dropper you! :D

Keeping nice and busy so. Maybe next year we will get to meet at some stage. I'm up in the big smoke for the Aware 10k.

No running today...body giving out to me :eek: and gave me a nasty migraine with visual disturbance just to make sure i stayed in bed for half the day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

No running today...body giving out to me :eek: and gave me a nasty migraine with visual disturbance just to make sure i stayed in bed for half the day!!
    Sorry to hear that Anne. Hope you feel better tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Mind yourself, hope the migrane passes soon. Beer and chocolate apparently make it worse so if you want me to come over and take these harmful materials out of your house thats no problem, I'm such a good friend:D

madon wrote: »
    Mind yourself, hope the migrane passes soon. Beer and chocolate apparently make it worse so if you want me to come over and take these harmful materials out of your house thats no problem, I'm such a good friend:D

Ah your so kind....Ha Ha, no beer or chocolate in this house:rolleyes::rolleyes:...im on a new fitness regime and training plan;)......

Migraine still lingering, Doc gave me an injection to try alievate the symptoms today and its lifting this evening..just plenty of R&R for the next few day and maybe my the weekend i might managed a run!! i,m knackered so we'll see!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Take it easy and get well soon Anne.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Mind yourself Anne, I suffer from migraines the odd time as well and holy crap they take it out of me. I get the ones with aura, which at least means I get a small window to get some medication into me. Hope you're better by the weekend and you get a run in.

Well no running this week at all and the body is still a bit tired so to be honest i'm enjoying the rest. Turns out my iron is a bit on the low side so have to start taking iron for a few months so hopefully i'll get my energy back soon.

Looking forward to getting back to normality next week and following a plan of some sort....:D

• Advertisement

Time to get off my ass and get running again!!:D

Back out running today after 10days rest and recovery...still a bit of a niggly headache but i put it down to tiredness...I have to get the ferritin levels up so i can be bouncing around like a duracell bunny running like a demon soon....:eek:

anyway a nice easy relaxed run. I started this one off nice and easy and enjoying the autumnal day, i had to shed the running jacket within the first mile but i see the temps are due to drop over the weekend so that probably wont be happening again any time soon!!
    I stayed nice and comfortable and didn't give the Garmin a minutes thought. The legs were a little bit sluggish but thats the lease that can be expected, and the body was a tiny bit tender after last nights Pilates, but again thats fine.

Total 3.2m @9.41 - splits 9.48, 9.37, 9.38 (.20)9.34

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD: 3.20m
    MTD: 9.77m
    YTD: 1026.38m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Anne, I'm sure the rest after DCM will stand to you.

I was back out for a few runs this week and the iron supplement is starting to kick in so that’s good, I’m starting to feel less tired and more like my old self again. Whee!!!:rolleyes:

So i did the 3.2m run on Tuesday and then i didn’t get out for the planned run on Thursday so went out Friday and enjoy a nice easy run. 3.25m @ 9.36

Headed for the hills at home on Saturday morning and I loved this run, I felt great doing this even with the hills and I had to stop a few times with the dogs but it was a beautiful sunny morning and no other sounds except the birds singing.:D Loved it. 3.25 m @ 9.49

Sunday unfortunately was a treadmill run and it was lucky it got done at all. I arrived home after a day out with the family just before 8pm with a Chinese and I had to go do this run while the rest had their grub. I set the treadmill to 6.2 mph and 1% incline and ran for 4.5m. Then I went a bit mad and did .5 mi at 6.3:eek: and then totally lost the run of myself :eek::eek: and did .55m @ 6.4….total 5.55 in avg 9.34,:D

So by the time the run, stretches, and then I started my hip strengthening programme with a few exercises to get me going, were done it was dinner at 9.30 in front of Love/Hate so not a bad evening after all!!;)

Exercises
    Plank 2 x 1min,
    Posterior Glute Medius, up - fast count of 2, down for slow count of 6 – 2 x sets of 6 each side
    Glute Maximus - fast count of 2, down for slow count of 6 – 2 x sets of 6 each side
    Bridge – 20 Reps
    Bridge with alternate leg lifts 10 each side
    Dog Bird Pose – 1 min x 2, each side

I will build up on these and hope to do them 2 -3 times a week. Tonight is my last Pilates until after Christmas as that's the beginners 10 weeks finished.

The plan for now is to build back up to a few decent miles and then get back into Marathon training

Plan for this week:

Mon| Tue | Wed | Thur | Fri | Sat | Sun|
    Pilates| 4m Easy | 3m Steady | 4 m easy | Rest |4m easy with 6* 8-m Strides | 6m easy|

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD: 15.25m
    MTD: 22.82m
    YTD: 1038.43m

Tuesday 20th Nov

What a beautiful day outside today, if you can hide from the wind. Where there is no wind its a beautiful warm Autumnal day, when you get caught in the wind you might find yourself running backwards or sidwards or both!!:eek:
    anyway its done for today and i enjoyed a nice easy run. My right glute is a bit sore but its from where i got the jab last week so hoping it will ease soon!!! The body knows it was doing Pilates last night too but not in a bad way, i feel well stretched!!:D

9.43/159, 9.37/163, 9.18/159, 9.40/159

I didn't notice mile 3 being much faster that the others but i suppose thats where there was no wind behind/beside me for a bit!!
    The heart rate spiked up at 208 during the first mile and this is the second run in a row where it has done that, 209 on Saturday, Im assuming its the battery cause i certainly wasn't running that fast!!:eek:
    total 4.01m @ 9.35

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD
    : 4.01m
    MTD: 26.83m
    YTD: 1042.44m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Anne I found my last heart rate strap was giving increasingly spiky feedback for the last couple of weeks I was using it - my upper heart rate alarm was going off even when I was jogging downhill. Given that it had been supplied with my old Forerunner 50 and I was using it with my 305 I decided I'd use the one that was waiting in the 305 box and it was problem solved - lower overall heart rate and more stable too.

The strap is the one supplied with the 305, which is 2 yrs old, so probably need to sort the battery. Thanks Dilbert75

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I honestly doubt the battery is the problem - I'd guess the strap is fubar. In my case the two straps were identical models and a battery change didn't help - in fact I used the same battery in the new as in the old.

Wednesday 21st November

I thought there was a 3m steady with 6 * 80m strides on the plan for today, I didn’t get a chance to check it as I was home early from a medical appointment with my son, so took advantage of the time instead of having to do it on the treadmill later. :)
    So I took the dog and away to my hills for this.
    The pace was quicker than steady but I was enjoying it so decided to keep going by feel , the pace naturally dropped on mile 2 as its my “big” hill. Then at the 1.5m turnaround point, I discovered the dog was missing:eek: so the pace never dropped. Found the dog at home waiting for me, having crossed the main road, lucky she wasn’t dead!!:o

I then had to do my strides so did them across the front of the house and down the driveway, because there is no flat piece of road anywhere near the house. Discovered later the strides were not for Wednesday:o but for Saturday and then I remembered thinking as I was running that the legs are getting a bit of a stretch so strides aren’t really necessary, :confused: because of the “Steady” pace!!!
    When I was doing the strides I was concentrating on form and forgot about speed, except for the 5th one which seem to have been a bit faster!!!

8.57/158, 9.09/168, 8.57/175, 8.46/179(.15)
    7.58/136, 7.39/144, 8.05/148, 7.59/137, 6.47/140, 7.44/139
    stride length vary from 180ft - 213 ft, the 213 ft one was down the length of the garden but there is a bit of a slope and wasn't great on my feet so back to the driveway for the rest!!!
    Total 3.66 @9.32

Friday 23rd November
    I didn’t get out for my planned run on Thursday, second week in a row, but with no break in work and Thursday evening medical apt with the young lad, by the time I got home at 8.40 having drove 190km for the day I wasn’t fit to hit the treadmill so just had dinner. :(

Got out at lunch today :D and it was a welcomed distraction, and because the sun was shining and not too cold and I was feeling good I decide to do my “long” run for the week. So a lovely relaxed run in the park with the sun shining and the wind in various part being strong and nice and relaxed in others I thoroughly enjoyed this and it reminded me why I love running.:D:D
    I never looked at the pace on the watch and just went feel.

9.35/155, 9.22/168, 9.19/165, 9.22/165, 9.20/162, 9.22/163. I must not look at the watch more often, I’d very seldom see a run with such similar splits

Total 6.02m @9.23/162

Checked my weight this moring and i haven't lost anything worth taking about in the last few weeks but not put it on either so thats ok!!, but must try harder!!! 168.8 down to 168.6

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD: 13.69m
    MTD: 36.51m
    YTD: 1052.12m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Glad to see you're back to normal after your super PB in DCM.

When are you starting your training plan for London? We won't feel the time flying by.....:)

I haven't booked flights yet, accommodation is sorted as I'm staying with a pal. Are you going on your own or the whole family?

• Advertisement

Marthastew wrote: »
    Glad to see you're back to normal after your super PB in DCM.

When are you starting your training plan for London? We won't feel the time flying by.....:)

I haven't booked flights yet, accommodation is sorted as I'm staying with a pal. Are you going on your own or the whole family?

Hi Marthastew,
    Well done to you too last weekend, you are some woman for one woman!!;)

still not 100% but getting there and slowly getting back into it, building back up the mileage slowly and adding a few strides each week to get the body back into it, so probably start marathon plan in a few weeks.

I have an apartment booked but no flights yet....will have to wait till after Christmas, not that there'll be any extra money then but they will have to be done then anyway.
    Just myself and himself going to London, we have a family wedding abroad next summer so the whole gang gets to go to that.

Enjoy your recovery.:D

Advertisement