Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

But its cold outside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Week 2, Run 2 - Friday, 28th December

I headed out for this one delighted that i was getting out and not heading for the treadmill again and I was planning about 5m, didn't look at the watch and was running by feel. It was a lot warmer than i thought it was and within the first half mile the gloves, earmuff, and jacket were off!!:eek: The first few miles were lovely and relaxed and i really enjoyed them, so when i got to 2.5m i decided to go to the 3m mark and make it a 6miler!!

I had to make the turn just after the 3m as its on a bend and I needed to go a bit further to get a clear view to cross the road so turned at about 3.1m, had a quick look at the watch and it was 27.XX mins so i knew it was too fast for an easy run, but anyway the minute i crossed the road I was straight into a strong head wind and the run changed from there. I slowed down and i had to put back on the earmuffs and pull down the long sleeves... from hereon it i took it easier as i couldn't do anything else and in hindsight i should have left it at at 4 -5 m run, so i guess thats my "long run" :eek: for this week. I'll do 2 x 3m for the next two days and that should have me at reasonable mileage to tackle full training again!!:D
    9.04/162, 8.53/174, 9.00/175, 9.22/182, 9.23/182, 9.16.187, 9.45/192(.19) the hill incline nearly killed me:eek:
    Total 6.19 @9.11/177

Now i have birthday cakes and party food to prepard for 4yr olds birthday party tomorrow...which reminds i have 5lbs up :o in the last few weeks since the running was ahem..limited...so have to start back cutting the crap and dropping the lbs!!:o

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD
    : 10.39m
    MTD: 33.86m
    YTD: 1094.29m

Week 2, Run 3 -Sunday 30th December

So its wet, cold, dark and miserable out today, so thank God i got out before the rain startedor it probably would have been another treadmill run....the rain started just when i had the first 2 miles done and i was just launching into a few strides when i was on a flat bit of road with a hard shoulder so i could do it in peace.

The first 2 miles were relaxed and slow so that i didn't repeat the mistake from friday! one the watch beeped for mile 2 finished i got to a Telegraph pole and then strided between 2 poles and then walked back as recovery to the pole and started again. none of the distances are the same but they are are all approximate. the rain was laashing down and the hailstones followed and they hurt when they hit you full on in the face:eek:
    When i finished 6 strides I turned for home and had to fight the wind...i was nearing the gate and looked at the watch, 4.91 so a little further before i turned just to get it to the 5m (even though i said recently to myself that i will not be rounding up numbers, a run will be whatever it is, without being a slave to the full numbers, but i just haven't got there yet:o

miles 1 & 2 - 9.17/150, 8.59/170
    Strides
    1. 367ft @ 6.42 in 27.97 sec + 1.03 min rec
    2. 359ft @ 6.09 in 25.05 sec +1.07 min rec
    3. 343ft @6.26 in 25.08 sec +1.07 rec
    4. 338ft @ 6.27in 24.74 sec +1.07min rec
    5. 336ft @ 6.11in 23.64 sec + 1.10min rec
    6. 367ft @6.08in 25.56 sec + 36 sec rec
    9.18/179, 9.23/183
    9.38/189(.18m)
    Total 5.02 m @9.27/171

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD
    : 15.41
    MTD: 38.88m
    YTD: 1099.31m

So the last run of 2012 :D and my last run as a 40 yr old!! for tomorrow i embrace 41!! :o

Week 3 Run 1, Monday 31 December -
    this was just a short recovery run, but i did a warm up on the bike...my first trip out on my new bike...i was terrified:eek: now i did a massive 3m:eek::eek::eek:, i couldn't get the gears to work properly cause i don't know how and i ended up crawling up the hill on the last 200m....my legs were burning and i was in bits when i got off...i need to higher my saddle and learn how to do the gears properly...
    the challenge 'im setting myself is to cycle at least the distance i run weekly in 2/3 cycles until i get use to it.. so if i run 25 m in a week i have to cycle 25 in 2/3 cycles....hopefully i'll be looking back on this and will laugh in a few weeks:o:o:o

anyway the run:D....2.55m @10.18/155...now that the proper HR for an easy run so i think i'll need to slow down my paces until i get back to full fitness....and this run had plenty of bumps & lumps to keep the heart and legs working so the pace was kept slow!!!

This brings the yearly total to 1101.86, that a bit of an improvelment on the 400 odd i did last year:D and i managed to PB in every race i ran so heres hoping that 2013 will be as good to me...but i'm willing to put in the work and i have a positive attitude to running so heres to 2013!!!:D:D

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL AND MAY ALL YOUR DREAMS ESPECIALLY YOUR RUNNING DREAMS COME TRUE:D

Totals:D
    WTD: 2.55m
    MTD: 41.43m
    YTD:1101.86m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Younganne wrote: »

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL AND MAY ALL YOUR DREAMS ESPECIALLY YOUR RUNNING DREAMS COME TRUE:D

You too Anne - you've a great year ahead of you. Also there are many people around here who exceeded their running dreams for 2012 thanks to you and your colleagues.

On the bike you'd be well advised to get yourself to a good bike shop to get the bike fitted to you - they'll adjust the saddle, handlebars, etc to suit your shape and it'll reduce your chance of getting an injury.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    You too Anne - you've a great year ahead of you. Also there are many people around here who exceeded their running dreams for 2012 thanks to you and your colleagues.

On the bike you'd be well advised to get yourself to a good bike shop to get the bike fitted to you - they'll adjust the saddle, handlebars, etc to suit your shape and it'll reduce your chance of getting an injury.

Thanks Dilbert75, its a brand new bike brought home from bike shop 2 weeks ago...will have to get back to them!!!

Everyone got themselves out the door and did the running themselves so well done to them. Thanks, I know its easier to follow a plan that to pick and choose what and when to run. Here's to improvement for everyone for 2013.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Dilbert75 wrote: »

+1 to that..being a beneficiary myself.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

So the last run of 2012 :D and my last run as a 40 yr old!! for tomorrow i embrace 41!! :o

Well done on a great year, thanks for your advice this year and Happy Birthday and New year for tomorrow. Welcome to the 41 club:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

This brings the yearly total to 1101.86, that a bit of an improvelment on the 400 odd i did last year:D and i managed to PB in every race i ran so heres hoping that 2013 will be as good to me...but i'm willing to put in the work and i have a positive attitude to running so heres to 2013!!!:D:D

Happy new year and happy birthday Anne - here's to an injury free 2013 for you. Did I tell you you're my role model for 2013 ? - you've shown where hard work and dedication can get you !

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Happy new year, well done on a great year Anne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Happy Birthday Anne and Happy New Year to you too.

Looking forward to hearing all about your cycling exploits in 2013:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

41? You're a mere babe!!! ;) Happy New Year to you....and all the best in your continued rise up the food chain here. You have a lot to be proud of. :)

Week 3, Run 2 - Tuesday Jan 1st,

Tom Brennam Memorial 5k Race

so i decided i needed to see how much fitness i have lost over the last couple of months and decided the best way was a race. I had hoped going into this that i would get under 25 min but nearer to my PB of 23.46.
    Anyhow it ws freezing when i arrived, nice and early for a change for me;), collected my number, bumped into Digijem, luckly we got into the loo que before it got too big!! Met up with my marathon partner LizzyC and we jogged back to my car as a warm up for me to change and add a long sleeve tshirt under my BOARDS top that was having its first outing!!!!
    Jogged back to start and met a big gang of Boardsies including lots of new names and faces....
    I started off a bit too fast as i wasn;t paying any attention to the watch and going on feel, but i forgot it was a 5k and not an 80m stride so have to say my race went into a slower gear after the first 1km and i knew pretty soon it was goign to be a battle to get in under 25 never mind getting near the PB...so i just kept plodding along and tried to keep it going...i found myself as usual in no-mans land with noone near me so had to battle the "little breeze" on my lonesome....
    My head kept saying to speed up but my body just won't oblige, but i tried to kick on at the end and managed to speed up a bit for the last bit, i really wasn't able to go any sooner.

So mission accomplised...i know how far back i have gone, but at least i can take todays run and use it to get the correct paces so as to enable me to get back to where i was and move beyond it for London!!!!
    so the stats:o

the good one...6th in my age category:D
    the rest....
    7.31, 7.49, 7.55, (.17) 6.56...total 3.17 @ 7.43 24.24
    the results have the same net and gross times for me so im going to take the 24.33 as my gross and 24.24 as my net!!

went for a lovely cooldown run with the Boards gang and then myself and Lizzy did a little bit more so with warm up and cooldown
    total for the day 6.79m, now thats a better start to 2013 than a hangover:D:D:D

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD: 9.34m

MTD: 6.79m
    YTD: 6.79m

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Happy New year.... and happy Birthday, hope 2013 brings as much and more miles to this thread as 2012 has.
    Well done on your run today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great running Ann, great to meet you too, another face to the Boards Mafia.

Week 3, Run 3 - Wednesday 2nd January 2013!!

So i brought the gear into work with the intention of getting out for a run and thankfully i did...a little later than planned but its done and dusted for today:D
    Started off a bit too fast but slowed it down when i realised the breathing was a big heavy for an easy run...
    9.47/158, 9.53/170/, 9.59/158, (.88)10.05/160
    I have decided that i will not be rounding up mileage in runs, and when i saw it was 3.88 i was tempted:o but i was back at the gate so i left it be!!!

Total 3.88m at a nice easy pace 9.56/161

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD: 13.22m
    MTD: 10.67m

YTD: 10.67m

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Week 3, Run 3 - Wednesday 2nd January 2013!!

So i brought the gear into work with the intention of getting out for a run and thankfully i did...a little later than planned but its done and dusted for today:D
    Started off a bit too fast but slowed it down when i realised the breathing was a big heavy for an easy run...
    9.47/158, 9.53/170/, 9.59/158, (.88)10.05/160
    I have decided that i will not be rounding up mileage in runs, and when i saw it was 3.88 i was tempted:o but i was back at the gate so i left it be!!!

Total 3.88m at a nice easy pace 9.56/161

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD: 13.22m
    MTD: 10.67m

YTD: 10.67m

Where is the unlike button...if you don't start rounding back up again, I'll sign you up for a cycle challenge :p

Where is the unlike button...if you don't start rounding back up again, I'll sign you up for a cycle challenge :p

Ha ha, yes this is one resolution i may have to break...it was killing me stopping me at an uneven number and i couldn't figure it out as i turned at 1.98 and crossed the roda twice thinking i was rounding it up, naturally. But then i realised i ran from the door and not the gate so we'll see next time!!!
    tomorrow will be an out and back or a treadmill run, if i cant get out before OH goes to work!!! so it should be fine....anything to avoid a cycling challenge...its enough of a challeng to stay on the bike at this stage!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Happy new year Anne and belated happy birthday. Keep up the good work you are flying it. Your times have got so quick of late London will be no problem to ya

Quick question for ya. I'm looking for a recommendation for a good half marathon training plan???

Welcome back Dave, Happy New year to you too and thanks...
    I have never followed a specific Half plan as any half i have done has been part of a marathon training plan..Having said that why not try Hals Half plan

Novice 2 if you are not doing much running at the minuet and have a few weeks to build up to
    Intermediate if you have been doing a few miles and have been ticking over.

What half are you planning and when? have you been doing much running? Hope things are going well for you!

Week 3, Run 4 - Thursday 3rd January

Treadmill run today so not much to report excpet its boring but better than nothing...
    40 mins running which gave me 4.12m @ 1% incline and all at 6.2mph =pace 9.32
    followed by 25 min core work...
    right quat is tight after Tuesdays race and i reckon its fromt he camber on the road...so plenty of The Stick after the run today and thankfully its not so tight this evening...
    Lungs are a bit tight since the race on Tuesday and i feel like i have been smoking 30 a day!!! I hope it doesn't get any worse. Thats all i'd need now when im finally starting to feel human again and not needing daily naps!!!

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD: 17.34m
    MTD: 14.79m
    YTD: 14.79m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Welcome back Dave, Happy New year to you too and thanks...
    I have never followed a specific Half plan as any half i have done has been part of a marathon training plan..Having said that why not try Hals Half plan

Novice 2 if you are not doing much running at the minuet and have a few weeks to build up to
    Intermediate if you have been doing a few miles and have been ticking over.

What half are you planning and when? have you been doing much running? Hope things are going well for you!

Cheers Anne. I have been doing small bits as in maybe 2 or 3 evening a week doing 4 miles. I also have done a bit of cycling and football but did nothing these last two weeks.
    The half marathon is not until May in Ballina but want to make a start now dont want to come last:-) plus have a few 10ks lined up for the coming months.

Might start the log again to keep the motivation up, starting to miss it now.

Week 3, Run 5 - 6th January

My sisters MIL passed away and so Fridays rest days was spent working at the Wake and I didn't get out for the planned session on Saturday due to the funeral so today instead of the planned 6 easy miles i did yesterdays session, but as it was 9.30 this evening before i got time to do it so it was a treadmill session. I didn't have a conversion chart to hand so i just went by feel
    1m warmup 1% @ 6mph = 9.52 pace
    1min hard, 2mins easy x 10
    1m cooldown

the 2min easy were all done at 4mph for 1min, 5mph for 30 sec, 6 mph for 30 sec
    the 10 hard were done at
    mph = pace
    8.0 mph = (7.50)
    8.0 mph = (7.50)
    8.5 mph = (7.05)
    8.5 mph = (7.05)
    9.0 mph = (6.42)
    9.0 mph = (6.42)
    9.0 mph = (6.42)
    9.5 mph = (6.22)
    9.5 mph = (6.22)
    9.5 mph = (6.22)
    All the2min easy were done at 1min @ 4mph, 30 sec at 5mph, 30 sec @6 mph
    1mile cooldown @ 6mph = 9.52
    Total 5.12m in 50.27

I loved this session and athought the 1min sections were hard, as it was only 1min i knew i could hold it......highest weekly mileage since November so its good to be getting back into it properly!!

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD: 22.46m
    MTD: 19.91m
    YTD: 19.91m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Great session, Anne!
    Pass on sympathies to L or M.

neilc wrote: »
    Great session, Anne!
    Pass on sympathies to L or M.

Thanks Neil, will do, it was M

Week 4 - Catchup :D
    Between sick kids, throwing birthday parties and appointments(ie Life;)) i didn't get a chance to log this weeks running, so here we go.....dont get excited its pretty boring..lots of treadmill and late night running involved

Week 4, Run 1 - Tuesday 8th
    My first born turned 10 today :eek:...i'm starting to feel old!!!
    this was a straightforward treadmill run for 40.00 mins at 1% incline @ 6.5 mph giving me 4.2m.
    total 4.20, in 40mins

Week 4, Run 2 - Wednesday 9th
    Treadmilla gain, plan was 5m steady, result 5.15 m steady...
    1m warmup 1% @ 6/6.5/6.7 = 9.32 gradually moved this up from 6 to 6.7mph...
    3 x 1m @ 7mph = 8.32 pace
    1.15 cool down @ 6.5 (9.09)
    Total 5.15 in 44.48mins

Week 4, Run 3 - Thursday 10th
    more tready easy running....this was an exact repead of Tuesday
    Total 4.2min in 40.00 mins

Week 4, Run 4 - Saturday 12th..
    hurray im free and outside:rolleyes: lets have some fun...
    Session - plan, 1m warm up, 3min 5-10k pace 3 mine easy x 5, 1m cool down and it went like this

1m warm up @ 9.31/153
    7.41 - 13.05(stood for 1min while clearing laps on the Garmin!!!)
    7.37 - 10.11
    7.48 - 9.55
    7.38 - 10.29
    7.34 - 9.30
    cooldown (1.29m) 9.20, 9.07(.29m)

the 3rd rep felt the toughest and it shows with the time, but i was running into a head wind so that might have not helped:eek:!!
    I really enjoyed this, but then im funny like that and i always enjoy the sessions!!!:D:D then home to host a party for a gang of 10yrs old girls!!!
    Total 5.71 @9.04/172

Week 4, Run 5 - Sunday 13th, But its Cold outside:o
    Outside again, but its was freezing today..i never took the hat or gloves off and i usually do after a mile or so...and my arms were freezing even though i had a long sleeve top on me!!!
    I decided to do a loop and see how far it was, but i had to add about .6 of a mile in to make it up to the planned 80mins running. a few hills to get the legs working and i enjoyed this. I set the Garmin to time and never looked at anything else and just ran by feel!!!

9.31, 9.28, 9.34, 9.43, 9.52, 9.52, 9.56, 9.40, 9.31(.41)
    Total 8.41 @9.41/166 in 81.28

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD: 27.67m
    MTD: 47.58m
    YTD: 47.58m

Forgot to add...

I went to see Michael Davis at Well Shod in Monsteravin on Friday re the Orthotics, After he carried out some test he informed me that i don't need then.
    From my shouldder to my hip on the right hand side i'm slightly "offline", i have a tiny curve on my spine and on my left side from my pelvis to my ankle is "offline". but nothing serious. The problems on my right side stem from a fall i had 15 yrs ago and have given me problem since on and off!!

Because i'm above average height for a female at 5.8 and have long legs i have a longer stride and my toes are taking most of the brunt of my footfall but the left toe is taking most of the pressure from my left foot(hence me losing/bruising toenails regularly).
    He gave me recommendation of 3 pairs of runners to try, he doesn't sell any, and he is going to make me an insole for my runner which are 3/4 length and will be slightly higher on the left... seems to make a lot of sense!!!

I thought of Meno when he was telling me my mechanical problems!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Some good running there Anne. Don't know how you manage to keep the mojo up running on the Dreadmill so much, but I guess it's a good way to get the miles in when time is tight, and babysitters are unavailable. :rolleyes:

Emer911 wrote: »
    Some good running there Anne. Don't know how you manage to keep the mojo up running on the Dreadmill so much, but I guess it's a good way to get the miles in when time is tight, and babysitters are unavailable. :rolleyes:

Completely right....the dreadmill or nothing!!!! roll on the brighter evenings or proper breaks in work so i can get out at lunchtime again!!!:D

Week 5
    This weeks plan is a day behind
    Mon| Tue| Wed| Thur|Fri|Sat| Sun|
    Rest|5m easy| 1m easy, 6mins @ HMP, 1min rec x 4, 1 m easy| 5m easy | 20min recovery| 1m easy, 2 min @ (3/5k) 2min a easy x 10, 1 m easy| 90 min easy

Week 5 Run 1, - Tuesday 15th
    treadmil...boring 5.1m @ 6 mph @ 1% incline (9.52 pace) - 51.18 what more can i say:rolleyes:

I didn't get out for the session yesterday so i am going to do it this morning and this evening (it will be after 9 when i get home for this) i will do the 20min recovery and tomorrow i'll do the 5m from today....i think:confused:

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD: 5.1m

MTD: 52.68m
    YTD: 52.68m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Good to see your training for London is back in full swing. Are you following a specific plan or do you have a secret coach? :)

Advertisement