Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

kmart6 wrote: »
    Meh...Magic were their normal selves...as was Howard only showing up for the first quarter...when one of the best centers in the league doesn't show for the majority of the game you should be destroying the opposition...letting a 17 point slip was terrible by the Bulls...and to be honest as much and all as they have a good record they have not played well in a goof few games and could easily have a losing record only other teams have let them off the hook!

If you think the Bulls are playing poorly with a 7-1 record I can't wait to see what they can do when they start playing well.

It's not a coincidence that teams are ''letting them off the hook''. The reason is the Bulls have great depth, arguably more so than any other team in the NBA, and there's only a few teams who can keep up with them over 48 minutes of basketball.

Beating the Magic at their place, a team the Bulls have had trouble with in the past, whilst missing a starter in Rip Hamilton and the number one replacement for D Rose off the bench in CJ Watson, is a very good result.

At the end of the day there's only a few teams who will be able to give the Heat any sort of challenge for the Championship this season and the Bulls are one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Is the Bulls v Hawks game at midnight Irish time???

killwill wrote: »
    Is the Bulls v Hawks game at midnight Irish time???

Yep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Paully D wrote: »
    Yep :)

Nice one, I am off to find a stream now!!!

Jesus Christ, what an awful half :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Very, very poor. Defense is non existent. Radmanovic went bananas before HT and he's hitting 3's every time he puts one up.

Just one of those games!

Well, best just to forget about that game. Very poor stuff, but as mentioned, just one of those nights.

At least we have a day off now to recharge the batteries, and a home game against a Detroit team that have lost 6 games (once tonight's hammering from the Knicks is complete) and all of their away games so far. We've also beaten them comfortably at their place, so it's an ideal game to get coming off a loss tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I seems like there's games on every single night! So good for viewers, but it must be hell on the players to be flying all over the US with barely any breaks. I wonder how it will affect certain older teams (like BOS) vs younger teams (like OKC) as we get towards the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Eh there woulda been games every night last season too...not exactly anything to do with the shortened season!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

The schedule is a bit crazy though. Looking at the Bulls schedule (which I don't think is any worse than average) they play 20 games in the first 30 days. They're in a stretch now where they play 9 games in 12 days. Crazy stuff.

It's good and bad for viewers, plenty of games on, but the quality of play will drop.

I read that in the '99 lockout, older teams did better than average, I think because they tended to be more settled teams who knew their systems well, so the lack of practice time didn't hurt them as much. But one season is a small sample size and it seems to be the younger teams that are doing better so far this year.

I wonder also if teams that play at a faster pace will feel it more. The Heat and the Bulls have both made conscious efforts to play at a higher pace this year, so it will be interesting to see if they can sustain it. The Heat are playing at the 2nd highest pace in the NBA, last year they were only 21st! The Bulls are about average but I think this will go up when Hamilton is back healthy.

• Advertisement

Good win tonight to get back on track.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Jason Richardson is still a good player.
    I was reading the Grantland Quarterly, and one of the best pieces is Still Life - The Long Autumn of Roger Federer. I'd meant the above as a compliment, but this bit reminded me of it...
    The saddest moment in the career of a great athlete is the one when he's tagged with the word "still." One day you're fast. One day you're slow. There's an in-between day when you're "still fast," and that's the day when everything hollows out.

Think about this. You know people get old. You know things change. And you know that that's especially true in sports, where in tennis, for example, a 29-year-old can be unironically described as having entered his twilight years. But because the physical gifts of top-level athletes are so incredible, and because their skills are so ingrained that they seem like they've always been there, you fool yourself into thinking of them as stable essences who are essentially immortal. They might have good streaks and bad streaks, or develop their games in one direction or another, but their basic abilities feel constant. Then one day you're watching a game and you think, "Wait, has Kobe lost a step? Well, no, he can still get to the basket …"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I've only watched about 3 Warriors games this year and it looks like Marc Jackson has been the common problem so far. It's obvious that he's making a concerted effort to slow this team down and run more half court offense. Last year we played at the 5th fastest pace in the league. This year, we're 21st. Considering Monta and Lee are the only ones equipped to score in a half court setting it's all a bit ridiculous

I had a bad feeling right when the front office hired him but I didn't know he'd actually miscast players into his scheme without any regard for their talents. :(

Paddy Power pushed the Clippers out to 18/1 from 16/1..... bit strange really, they're in prime position in the Pacific, makes no sense that the Lakers are 7/1 and the Clippers 18/1.... played poorly against the Bucks but still got it done.

Crap, wanted to get an early night tonight but I see the Lakers have won the fan vote again...sigh!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Crap, wanted to get an early night tonight but I see the Lakers have won the fan vote again...sigh!!

What channel is that game being shown on ?

It's on NBA TV...sorry!

Fcuk...saw the Bulls were blowing out the Wolves so didn't bother turning on the TV...seems like there's a good game going on!

Sea Devils wrote: »
    I've only watched about 3 Warriors games this year and it looks like Marc Jackson has been the common problem so far. It's obvious that he's making a concerted effort to slow this team down and run more half court offense. Last year we played at the 5th fastest pace in the league. This year, we're 21st. Considering Monta and Lee are the only ones equipped to score in a half court setting it's all a bit ridiculous

I had a bad feeling right when the front office hired him but I didn't know he'd actually miscast players into his scheme without any regard for their talents. :(

And yet despite this, we still managed to beat the Heat :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Hopefully Warriors still tank the season, get good draft, clear out the team and start from scratch. I don't see any other way to be honest. If Jackson has a system he wants to incorporate then that is the only way, rebuild.

Hopefully Warriors still tank the season, get good draft, clear out the team and start from scratch. .

It helps that this is arguably the strongest NBA draft since 2003.Andre Drummond Anthony Davis and even Harrison Barnes are guys that hopefully we're keeping close tabs on them.

Turned that one off cause was sure it was over too...Heat falling back into last years habits!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CFC4lyfe

Missed the Lakers game last night. Anyone here able to fill me in on whether we played well or if any fatigue is kicking in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

It helps that this is arguably the strongest NBA draft since 2003.Andre Drummond Anthony Davis and even Harrison Barnes are guys that hopefully we're keeping close tabs on them.

Yea, I have read a little about this being a good draft, we could hopefully trade some players for some draft pics.
    It all depends on the plan the organization has, are they going to keep on trying to put band aids on the team by signing the likes of Robinson so give the fans something to cheer about or are they going to decide enough is enough.

I have the feeling they keep Curry and then try and build a new team from there. To be honest, I dont see any player on that team as being too valuable to trade.

Looked strong, built a 13 point lead that the Suns pegged back but that was with the reserves on! Kobe was an animal last night with some of the shots and moves to the basket! Cut back on the turnovers that have been a problem, but still missing 3's!

The fact Kobe took over for 48 basically gave everyone else half the night off!

!

It's incredible that a guy with 50,000 minutes on his regular season/playoff odometer, is flat out dominating games. Simply unprecedented.

It's ridiculous how he just turns it on like that, came out last night and said it was basically cause he hates the Suns/Nash for stuff dating back to 2005/06/07!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CFC4lyfe

Looked strong, built a 13 point lead that the Suns pegged back but that was with the reserves on! Kobe was an animal last night with some of the shots and moves to the basket! Cut back on the turnovers that have been a problem, but still missing 3's!

Lovely stuff. Saw that about Kobe alright. For someone who supposedly "doesn't have much left in him" he is storming it like always.

I've always wondered, since this is the first time I've been posting here regarding basketball and the NBA, are Boston Celtics the most supported team over here? Or do they even have an Irish connection strong enough for this?

• Advertisement

No real way of gauging who's the most supported team in Ireland!

Advertisement