Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

FLOODY777 wrote: »
    For a game hailed as one of the best of this generation, in such demand and sold out in a lot of places...How can Gamestop really justify only offering 30 euro trade in (excluding console deposits)?!! They sold it just over a week ago for 54.99!

€30 isn't bad. When you look at it, that's basically paying €20 for the game. They do have to sell it at a knock down price too (probably at most €45 since it's €50 new) and they need to make a profit. Also take into account the fact that it's their main income source and that if someone doesn't buy it off them in the next two or three months then they'll probably drop the price a little further and it doesn't seem so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

C14N wrote: »
    €30 isn't bad. When you look at it, that's basically paying €20 for the game. They do have to sell it at a knock down price too (probably at most €45 since it's €50 new) and they need to make a profit. Also take into account the fact that it's their main income source and that if someone doesn't buy it off them in the next two or three months then they'll probably drop the price a little further and it doesn't seem so bad.

Its 55 new so they'll probably sell for 52 or 50 minimum. I'd sell it on adverts you'd get at least 40 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Half way through my second play through. Doing it on survivor this time, but I'm finding it a lot easier than the first playthrough on normal. Getting past most sections on the first attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You know whats annoying though? They turn off the item shimmer on Survivor difficulty. It's a minor thing but it means searching for items takes twice as long because you can't spot them from far away. I wouldn't mind but you barely get any loot to begin with.

No x-ray mode does make it tense though. I'm just leaving Pittsburgh across the bridge with our two friends at the moment on my playthrough. Enjoying even though I know whats coming. I realised I missed a few conversations on my first run through so that's nice to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

I recently bought this in the states thinking it wasn't region locked, but had no idea there was an online pass with the game. And of course it is region locked :mad:

Anybody know of a work around for this? I'm now thinking even if I do get one, I will be on the US servers all the time, but I could live with that.

I've contacted Sony support in the hope that they would give me another one (the box never states the voucher is region locked), but I'm not holding out much hope. Failing that I may try to get it replaced in Gamestop, but I doubt they will.

Is the multiplayer any good anyway? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Played the MP this weekend with a M8 who's pretty handy.....it's a fcuking scream. He carried me most of the way but got some final kills. Punchy punchy.
    Awesome MP

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

Just to finish a conversation that took place earlier about the end of the game, don't think anyone mentioned it.
    When you enter the operating room and are forced to kill the 3 doctors, you're not actually forced to kill all of them. Only the one blocking your path. After that, just hit Triangle beside Ellie, and Joel picks her up and leaves as normal. The other two docs do nothing. Makes Joel a little less evil than some people were saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, Naughty Dog said they did that just to see how many would go trigger happy at that point in the game.

Also, I'd receommend the comic American Dreams (can be found through google) 2 of the 4 comics released so far but it's all about Ellie and her friend
    Riley
    that she mentions in the game

Another Also, Multiplayer is class. Survivor is brilliant, best of 7 rounds, you have 1 life in every round so everyone (most anyway) stick to sneaking and general stealthyness, good laugh!

I have a question though, a multiplayer campaign lasts 12 weeks. Is each game 1 day? If so I have to play 84 games before being able to play as a Hunter?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Benzino wrote: »
    I recently bought this in the states thinking it wasn't region locked, but had no idea there was an online pass with the game. And of course it is region locked :mad:

Anybody know of a work around for this? I'm now thinking even if I do get one, I will be on the US servers all the time, but I could live with that.

I've contacted Sony support in the hope that they would give me another one (the box never states the voucher is region locked), but I'm not holding out much hope. Failing that I may try to get it replaced in Gamestop, but I doubt they will.

Is the multiplayer any good anyway? :(

The game can be played on any PS3 in any region - but because you bought it it the US, you have to access the US PSN for the online pass.
    You will also have to access the US PSN for any dlc you may want to buy.

All you have to do is create a US account - it's that simple.

This is the same for any PS3 game you buy - buy in the EU - access the EU store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Yeah, Naughty Dog said they did that just to see how many would go trigger happy at that point in the game.

Also, I'd receommend the comic American Dreams (can be found through google) 2 of the 4 comics released so far but it's all about Ellie and her friend
    Riley
    that she mentions in the game

Another Also, Multiplayer is class. Survivor is brilliant, best of 7 rounds, you have 1 life in every round so everyone (most anyway) stick to sneaking and general stealthyness, good laugh!

I have a question though, a multiplayer campaign lasts 12 weeks. Is each game 1 day? If so I have to play 84 games before being able to play as a Hunter?

Indeedy. You lose all the people in your faction, you have to restart from day one bear in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah thats a lot. Very hard to join a friends game as well. Nice touch having facebook friends show up as doing tasks like skinning a deer.

See Ellen Page isn't happy with her 'likeness being ripped off by Naughty Dog'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

F1ngers wrote: »
    The game can be played on any PS3 in any region - but because you bought it it the US, you have to access the US PSN for the online pass.
    You will also have to access the US PSN for any dlc you may want to buy.

All you have to do is create a US account - it's that simple.

This is the same for any PS3 game you buy - buy in the EU - access the EU store.

Ah ok, not as bad as I thought then! Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

WFMS wrote: »
    I don't know about Gamestop,
    But if you really wanted to trade it in I would try to get to a CeX store if possible
    http://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=0711719274551
    They give you 29 cash or 33 store credit for it.

If possible I'd advise going to CeX in Northern Ireland, they'll give 30pounds credit and the games are much cheaper.
    For example I'm taking a stack of games up tomorrow after checking the trade in values on the uk and irish sites.
    Uk's giving £20, irish €38 - but for my £20 I can get Hitman Absolution and Dishonored. If I picked up the same two games in Dublin it would cost an additional €22 on top of my games.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I really am quite enjoying the multiplayer, especially Survivors. It's just annoying my internet is so laggy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

They need to fix host disconnections making you lose 20 survivors, was playing a match and right as I was about to execute their last guy the host disconnected and it counted as a day without any supplies despite me getting loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Just finished it there. All I can say is wow what a game. It was amazing from start to finish. For me it definitely lived up to the hype and its more than worthy of the praise its been getting, I wouldn't say it deserves 10/10, no game does imo, but it's very close. It took me a long time to finish, nearly 18 hours of play time. I could only play it an hour or two at a time, just because of how intense and stressful its is, I needed to take breaks from it to gathers my thoughts and calm down. That sounds like I'm complaining but that's a testament to how immersive and gripping the game is. I think the last game I had to do that with was silent hill 2. Definitely game of the year for me already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Where in Dublin city centre is the cheapest place to buy the game?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Capitalism.

I do think gamestop have gone to sh!te with their trade in values in recent weeks. Easily 30% less for most games compared to what they offered for new releases in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I do think gamestop have gone to sh!te with their trade in values in recent weeks. Easily 30% less for most games compared to what they offered for new releases in March.

they were giving stupid values like €40 euro for bioshock infinite even after three weeks and the 25% on top for a pre-order so the last of us cost me €5
    seems like they copped on!

• Advertisement

Glad I quit trading stuff in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

.ak wrote: »
    Where in Dublin city centre is the cheapest place to buy the game?

FYI if anyone's looking to buy this in town it's sold out everywhere but Smyth's on Jervis just got it back into stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

I just got the last copy from xtra vision in sundrive. A very big thank you to the girl for keeping that copy for me.

Oh jeez I had a mare of a game earlier playing Survivors. I was the last man standing against a pretty slick group but I'd backed myself into a corner, booby-trapping the top of the stairs to give me a chance. I see a foe before he sees me and decide to chuck a molotov, certain down right? Right. Only problem was it clipped the banister of the stairs and set me alight. Game over :pac:

There was about 3 people with mics and they spent the whole lobby afterwards pissing themselves laughing. I was laughing louder than any of them, if only I had a mic. Oh what an idiot I was :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Oh jeez I had a mare of a game earlier playing Survivors. I was the last man standing against a pretty slick group but I'd backed myself into a corner, booby-trapping the top of the stairs to give me a chance. I see a foe before he sees me and decide to chuck a molotov, certain down right? Right. Only problem was it clipped the banister of the stairs and set me alight. Game over :pac:

There was about 3 people with mics and they spent the whole lobby afterwards pissing themselves laughing. I was laughing louder than any of them, if only I had a mic. Oh what an idiot I was :pac:

Ha, I think I might have been in that game. I remember something very similar happening in a game I was playing. Was very funny. There's some great last man standing moments in the multiplayer.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Ha, I think I might have been in that game. I remember something very similar happening in a game I was playing. Was very funny. There's some great last man standing moments in the multiplayer.

It was in the school/college I think and it was English sounding lads laughing. Backed myself up the top of the stairs and I go by the name of irish_lad009 because it seemed like a good idea many moons ago.

Yeah there is alright, I love how the tension crosses over from the main game. I'm still terrible but no lag tonight so found a bit of rhythm at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Finished the game a bit ago and loved it. Some more thoughts are in the spoilered thread.

Next up now is getting an internet connection for the ps3 and having a go of the multiplayer... What's the general opinion on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

NotorietyH wrote: »
    It was in the school/college I think and it was English sounding lads laughing. Backed myself up the top of the stairs and I go by the name of irish_lad009 because it seemed like a good idea many moons ago.

Yeah there is alright, I love how the tension crosses over from the main game. I'm still terrible but no lag tonight so found a bit of rhythm at least.

Will ye be on again tonight lads? Timmyctc is the PSN Prodston. Me and NotorietyH have played already

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Will ye be on again tonight lads? Timmyctc is the PSN Prodston. Me and NotorietyH have played already

Probably not tonight now but I'll send a request if I'm on tomorrow. No mic so not much co-ordination but would be better than a total randomer all the same, unless I lag out which could easily happen :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm up for some games. MadManWithaBox :pac:

Advertisement