Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Anyone experience a weird glitch where your health disappears from the hud, I just escaped form Pittsburgh and its completely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

sheehy83 wrote: »
    So, what is everyones weapon of choice. I try to keep with the bow but the shotgun is most effective. Can't stand the rifle. Molotov is deadly as well. Haven't used a smoke bomb yet, really should!
    Otacon wrote: »
    I really like the bow myself. Silent, almost always a one-hit kill and you can often pick up the same arrows again after firing them (some break though). The Molotovs are devastating too. I remember, at one stage, there were a number of clickers about and a bloater. I threw a bottle first to get them all to congregate in one spot, then threw the Molotov - it killed all of them, even the bloater!

I found the melee weapons with the shivs attached useless though. Shivs on their own are way more useful as they are silent, and by the time you need to use a melee weapon, a gun is probably better because you are normally spotted in that case.
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    I've found the melee with shiv just deadly one hitting people, waste of shivs though so very rarely make one. Since upgrading to shiv master and getting the upgraded shiv manual, I get 3 goes with one shiv and using a shiv defending against a clicker doesn't use it up. Makes clickers almost redundant.
    cloud493 wrote: »
    Flamethrower, least against the infected :cool:

From a combat point of view, I was never truly sold on the bow. It takes down soldiers and hunters in one hit, but infected was hit and miss. It takes a headshot to take down a clicker and when they are ambling about, that's a difficult thing to pull off.

The flamethrower is awesome. Roasts everything and it's ammo lasts surprisingly well. Will kill a dozen infected in 12 seconds flat. Nuff said :D

I used the shotgun the most and upgraded it the most. It felt really satisfying to blow a runner away point blank. The short range is a killer though because it can take 3 or 4 shots to kill a guy who isn't right in front of you.

The Revolver and 9mm are okay. The Revolver is fun even if it's rate of fire is slow....too slow at first. But it is satisfying to shoot. The default 9mm pistol does no damage but it's magazine is so big and there is so much ammo for it that you can just pepper people and it works.

I loved the El Diablo. Always a one hit kill, has a scope, feels epic to fire and when you upgrade it, unstoppable. I wish you got it earlier in the game as for me, it was the last gun I picked up.

The shorty sawn off seemed pretty terrible to me, even after I upgraded it. Not enough damage, not enough rounds in the chamber and too short range. Poor version of the regular shotgun. It get's points for originally being Ish's gun though. :P

The hunting rifle isn't great at first because it feels weak. It takes two shots atleast to kill. When you upgrade it's power, it becomes the best gun in the game imo. It has a scope, is a one hit kill at any range , and can hold a few bullets before reload. The problem is, that you need 4 or 5 tools to upgrade it's power so its fairly late in the game by the time it becomes really good. Obviously if you are a headshot master, power doesn't matter but I can't hit a running target in the head with a PS controller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I'd always encourage game designers to lower body counts, the one thing I will say is that the game does a damn good job of justifying the characters' violent instincts. There's a desperation and world-weariness to them, long since desensitised to the fact that its a kill or be killed world.

One of the most glaring inconsistencies of Uncharted was the violence opposed Drake of the cutscenes to the genocidal lunatic of the gameplay. This IMO sidesteps that particular problem by creating characters I have no doubt believing will strangle or shoot without batting an eyelid.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Opinions snip

Trust me retro, this is your type of game. Give it some time. It's a slow starter for sure. I was unimpressed for the first hour or so but the game picks up both thematically and gameplay wise once you leave cliché ville. If you don't end up loving it, I'd be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Kirby wrote: »
    I loved the El Diablo. Always a one hit kill, has a scope, feels epic to fire and when you upgrade it, unstoppable. I wish you got it earlier in the game as for me, it was the last gun I picked up.
    QUOTE]

Where did you pick it up? I found it right at the very start of Fall. Not my fav to be honest.

• Advertisement

Where did you pick it up? I found it right at the very start of Fall. Not my fav to be honest.

I can't remember but I think it was the last one I collected apart from the assault rifle....and that is always the last gun you get.

I obviously missed the spot I should have picked it up.....which is odd because I missed virtually nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can't remember but I think it was the last one I collected apart from the assault rifle....and that is always the last gun you get.

I obviously missed the spot I should have picked it up.....which is odd because I missed virtually nothing else.

It's right at the start of Fall, beside the cop car.

Ok, well its on the ground beside the first car you see in Fall, if my memory serves me.

Can anyone tell me how many doors you are supposed to shiv, comics to collect, conversations to have ect? I think I got most of those, missed a good few pendants I'd say though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

While I found the plot very obvious the script writing is exceptional, a real step up from Uncharted. It feels really natural. Amy Hennig really has proved herself as a much better writer than I gave her credit for.

Hennig is not the writer this time around. Druckmann wrote it.

He wrote Uncharted 2....which most of the fans consider the best of the series. Coincidence? :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah ok, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Just finished, such an amazing game. I don't think I've ever played a game where I had such a sense of relief when I killed or avoided enemies. Instead of "bring it bitch, give me more people to kill" its "Thank god, one less of those fckers to deal with". Some real intense moments:
    The part in the hotel basement was insane. I kept getting outnumbered so in the end I just mapped out a route in my head, turned on the generator and ran like a girl.

God bless shivs...and bricks, and bows. My personal favourite is the nail bombs, place one at the door when you know someone is going to come running in...BOOOM. They're also handy for bloaters if you have no Molotov. The only thing that really bugs me is having to hold x when you want to sway pistols or rifles. Its a very fiddly control, especially in the middle of a fight.

Definite 10/10 for me. Has anyone played it on the hardest difficulty yet? I might give it a go if its not too head wrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

From a combat point of view, I was never truly sold on the bow. It takes down soldiers and hunters in one hit, but infected was hit and miss. It takes a headshot to take down a clicker and when they are ambling about, that's a difficult thing to pull off.

I love the bow. Like yourself I wasn't mad about it at first but the more I used it the more I grew to love it. Its like having a gun with a silencer, all be it a short range one. Kills humans and runners in 1 shot 90% of the time. Its great for clickers if you want to save your shivs. Just kneel there and pick them off. Hard to get a head shot though, so its usually a 2 hit kill.

Has anybody started their second playthrough yet? Gonna start a game on Survivor maybe this weekend. Gonna use a guide this time for pendants/comics/artifacts/manuals though. Sign of a great game when you wanna start all over again straight away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Doing the hard+ now its much easier second time round. Still manage to deplete all your equipment after a bad fight though :P

Has anybody started their second playthrough yet? Gonna start a game on Survivor maybe this weekend. Gonna use a guide this time for pendants/comics/artifacts/manuals though. Sign of a great game when you wanna start all over again straight away!

The problem with Survivor is the No Listen mode aspect of it. I can deal with hardly any supplies and getting one shotted by everything.....but I used listen mode so much on my own first playthrough that I think I would be a bumbling mess without it.....bumping into every enemy I don't see. :P

The problem with Survivor is the No Listen mode aspect of it. I can deal with hardly any supplies and getting one shotted by everything.....but I used listen mode so much on my own first playthrough that I think I would be a bumbling mess without it.....bumping into every enemy I don't see. :P
    First boardsie to finish and upload a pic of it wins :D

Timmyctc wrote: »
    First boardsie to finish and upload a pic of it wins :D

I'l be giving it a go anyway, after a few days. Been playing it every night since it came out so a break is due :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Finished it there, will post my thoughts on the ending in the spoiler thread. I spent 20 hours at it in the end so I was certainly taking my time. My weapon of choice when the stealthy strangle wasn't an option was certainly the shotgun. My default weapon when I got spooked, which was a lot :pac:

For the last quarter I found the benefits of the bow and arrow for some of my stealthy assaults. Molotovs were fantastic too. I used one smoke bomb
    in the hospital
    towards the end but didn't really help much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Survivor mode is surprisingly easy once you've finished hard. The enemies don't seem to be any harder which is strange. There are less supplies also but to be honest after 15 hours playing hard you can deal with less supplies and no listen mode quite easily. Obviously it will get rougher towards the end of the game but I don't think it will be that big a deal.

40% through after only 3 hours with 4 or 5 deaths but won't be playing again for a few days as I'm playing survivor with a friend who doesn't have a PS3. Anyone thinking about it, if you've already finished it on hard you won't have any problems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I saw in the credits that Nolan North was the voice of David, guess you just cant make a game these days without him!

Yeah I only found out from that too, it was actually a really good performance by him. I guess he's pretty close to Naughty Dog with the whole Uncharted thing and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Looking forward to giving the multiplayer a whirl later now that the main story is done and dusted. I spent more time than I care to remember on UC3's multiplayer and I was only average at that point, that's college though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Hit the 90% mark last night and while I'm enjoying the story and the acting has been superb and very believable so far it hasn't been anything ground breaking for me. I'm struggling to make a connection to the main characters like the way The Walking Dead made me care what happend to their main characters. I used the The Walking Dead above as thats easily one of my favourite story driven games.

I'm still loving every other aspect of this game though especially the setting. ND have to be commended of making easily one of more realistic post-apocolyptic settings I've ever played. I get the most enjoyment out carefully exploring and scavenging for supplies in the various places while keeping an eye out for infected or other looters. Reminds me a bit of my time in Dayz in that aspect.

I still have the big finale ahead so who knows that may change my opinon on the story but so far I'm really glad I have picked this up.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Survivor mode is surprisingly easy once you've finished hard. The enemies don't seem to be any harder which is strange. There are less supplies also but to be honest after 15 hours playing hard you can deal with less supplies and no listen mode quite easily. Obviously it will get rougher towards the end of the game but I don't think it will be that big a deal.

40% through after only 3 hours with 4 or 5 deaths but won't be playing again for a few days as I'm playing survivor with a friend who doesn't have a PS3. Anyone thinking about it, if you've already finished it on hard you won't have any problems!

You also dont get a triangle prompt for a stealth take down. Not sure how much of a difference this really makes, didnt notice it missing last night until I walked onto the backside of an infected. Oops :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's something that annoys me as a scientist and it's that Naughty Dog have their science all confused.

The clickers are presumably blind and can only detect sound. However they use echoloactioning. The thing is echo locationing allows you to see by bouncing sound waves off objects and using the time the wave returns to build a picture around you. So they aren't actually blind. Which is how sight works except it does the same with light waves and stereoscopy and assumptions to estimate positition. So if they were using echolocationing you couldn't sneak past because they would see you and even if you stood still they'd still see a human shaped object.

Just a small annoyance. I suppose stupid science is a trade off for that terrifying clicking noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Looking forward to giving the multiplayer a whirl later now that the main story is done and dusted. I spent more time than I care to remember on UC3's multiplayer and I was only average at that point, that's college though :pac:

Multiplayer's fantastic. Much more tactical than Uncharted's. lot mor sneaking around and biding you time.

There's something that annoys me as a scientist and it's that Naughty Dog have their science all confused.

The clickers are presumably blind and can only detect sound. However they use echoloactioning. The thing is echo locationing allows you to see by bouncing sound waves off objects and using the time the wave returns to build a picture around you. So they aren't actually blind. Which is how sight works except it does the same with light waves and stereoscopy and assumptions to estimate positition. So if they were using echolocationing you couldn't sneak past because they would see you and even if you stood still they'd still see a human shaped object.

Just a small annoyance. I suppose stupid science is a trade off for that terrifying clicking noise.

But the Cordyceps infecting the human and turning them into flesh eating monsters you can accept? :pac: Suspend your disbelief, tis but a game.

^ NotorietyH - I left a game early by mistake today while doing a challenge that was risking 100% of my population and despite having 25/25 heals the game registered it as a 0/25 because I left and my entire clan died and I had to start again after 7 weeks :(

But the Cordyceps infecting the human and turning them into flesh eating monsters you can accept? :pac: Suspend your disbelief, tis but a game.

I'm sorry but this is the worst case of science abuse since Sigorney Weaver's disgraceful handling of a micropipette in Avatar. That's a 300 euro peice of precision equipment you've just ruined!

...sorry.

I'm sorry but this is the worst case of science abuse since Sigorney Weaver's disgraceful handling of a micropipette in Avatar. That's a 300 euro peice of precision equipment you've just ruined!

...sorry.

..I've never actually seen Avatar.. I don't like James Cameron. But due to my inherent dislike of him I'll accept that it was probably a ridiculous mistake and he deserves to be lambasted for it the fuppin baxtard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

^ NotorietyH - I left a game early by mistake today while doing a challenge that was risking 100% of my population and despite having 25/25 heals the game registered it as a 0/25 because I left and my entire clan died and I had to start again after 7 weeks :(

Aw man, that sucks! There's the odd little begin multiplayer like that. It constantly says my explosion expert perk is new because I blocked it early with the pre-order dlc. The constant exclamation mark is driving me nuts. Not nearly as annoying as losing your entire population though. That's very disheartening.

Advertisement