Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

This game is class but Uncharted 2 has yet to be beaten in my eyes, as far as being the best PS3 game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Absolutely hooked on multiplayer. Tried survivors mode for the first time. No respawns, so 4 against 4 each round. Manages to capture some of the tension of the single player as everyone plays much more tactically. Leads to some great moments.

Was playing with Timmyctc there for a good bit and having someone on mic working with you makes it even better. Seems to be better teamwork in Survivors mode in general so it makes some for some nicely balanced matches.

Had gotten a bit bored of playing online the last 12 months or so, but this is one of the more impressive multiplayer modes I've played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Regarding a sequel:
    Naughty Dog have said that if they do do a sequel it won't be with Ellie and Joel.
    I'm slightly disappointed by that, I love those characters and I think there is more to be heard from their story.
    Ellie, sure, but you still like Joel after seeing the ending? I don't really tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Just after finishing this.
    I was a little shocked at where it finished up. I thought we were going to another area. Surly set up for a sequel

I wouldn't have said
    it was set up for a sequel at all. A sequel in this case would seem like a pretty contrived cash grab considering how well the story was wrapped up.
    Im stuck on the bit
    where your hung upside down
    pain in the ass tbh.

That's still very early in the game. I think you might briefly have infinite ammo there so don't be shy with the bullets. Worst case scenario just drop the difficulty and then put it back up afterward.
    Naughty Dog have said that if they do do a sequel it won't be with Ellie and Joel.
    I'm slightly disappointed by that, I love those characters and I think there is more to be heard from their story.

I'm happy with it. Like I said above, I don't think
    any attempt to go on further with the story would work at all and would probably retroactively hurt the ending of this game.
    Magill wrote: »
    Thinking of picking this up, i wasn't a massive fan of uncharted tho... Anyone else with the same opinion on the uncharted games think this is worth the hype ?

Yes, I thought the Uncharted games (all of which I finished) were fairly average but fun games. I would have given them 5 or 6 out of 10 personally but I really liked The Last of Us, which I would have to give at least 9*.

*bearing in mind that I don't follow the industry standard of rating things from 6-10 where 6 is something almost nobody would ever want to play. Converted to standard games ratings, I would probably give any Uncharted game an 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Ya do you know what I've been thinking about it since I finished it and
    now I don't see a sequel. At least with these characters. I guess I was thinking that maybe there would be a chance for Joel to redeem himself. I loved the way it started to dawn on me that maybe I wasn't the good guy as I came towards the end.

Brilliant game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just popping to DON'T INSTALL THE LATEST PS3 FIRMWARE UPDATE

Reports are it is briking machines, could be just ones with upgraded hard drives. Sony have removed it but people with PS+ might have it downloaded automatically, just don't install it.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps3_4_45_firmware_update_bricking_consoles_users_claim.html

I wanted to put this here as it would be a disaster to have your console bricked in the middle of this game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Made it to
    eastern colarado uni. God the thing with Henry :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

C14N wrote: »
    I wouldn't have said
    it was set up for a sequel at all. A sequel in this case would seem like a pretty contrived cash grab considering how well the story was wrapped up.

That's still very early in the game. I think you might briefly have infinite ammo there so don't be shy with the bullets. Worst case scenario just drop the difficulty and then put it back up afterward.

I'm happy with it. Like I said above, I don't think
    any attempt to go on further with the story would work at all and would probably retroactively hurt the ending of this game.

Yes, I thought the Uncharted games (all of which I finished) were fairly average but fun games. I would have given them 5 or 6 out of 10 personally but I really liked The Last of Us, which I would have to give at least 9*.

*bearing in mind that I don't follow the industry standard of rating things from 6-10 where 6 is something almost nobody would ever want to play. Converted to standard games ratings, I would probably give any Uncharted game an 8/10.

ITs already on easy :o I just suck at the game :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Played for a good few hours yesterdays (8hrs in) and I just went past the 50% mark last night (thats what my game save is telling me) so am I right in thinking that is the percentage of the game complete (as in the story) and doesn't include collectables etc?

I've also shamefully brought the difficutly down as I realised my stealth skills suck and I kept getting into lots of fights (think I'm up to around 250+ kills so far!) but still hasn't taken away my enjoyment of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Magill wrote: »
    Thinking of picking this up, i wasn't a massive fan of uncharted tho... Anyone else with the same opinion on the uncharted games think this is worth the hype ?

I loved Uncharted 2 and 3 but feel a bit let down by this....so go for it.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Played for a good few hours yesterdays (8hrs in) and I just went past the 50% mark last night (thats what my game save is telling me) so am I right in thinking that is the percentage of the game complete (as in the story) and doesn't include collectables etc?

Yep, it's based only on your progress in the main story. I actually wish more games had something like this, just to give you an idea of how long it is. You can clearly see when you're reading a book or watching a movie how much is left but videogames tend to make it hard to know this or they often have a percentage that doesn't even have to be half filled to finish the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Its not that I want to finish it, I just really wanna know how it ends without wikipedia :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I wasn't planning on buying this at all until hearing the stellar reviews it was getting. Now, having just finished the game, I must say that I'm left slightly disappointed. I love a game with a good story, and in most cases I'll shun good gameplay in favour of story (here's looking at you, Deadly Premonition!;)), but something about this tale just doesn't sit right with me. Obviously, the acting, animation and cut-scene direction were fantastic. The characters were played to near perfection, and probably among the best performances I've ever seen in a game, but to me the pacing seemed off in a big way.

The ending, while a nice bittersweet conclusion, I saw coming a long way off which probably dampened any emotional impact it would've had on me. I can think of a few better ways they could've wrapped it up, though most or all of them would eliminate any chance of a sequel, which could very well be in ND's plans.

The gameplay was alright. It was neither spectacular, nor bad. It was all it needed to be, it was far from the survival-horror game that a few had touted it as. The A.I. was ok. Enemies were decent and worked well in numbers, friendlies were a bit clumsy and got in my way often.

All in all, it tells a simple story with well crafted, complex characters and decent gameplay. If I was to give it marks out of 10, I'd probably give it an 8-8.5, which is by no means bad, as I'm generally hard pleased. If I was to compare it to a couple of other character driven post-apocalyptic games, I'd say it's better than Enslaved, but not as good as Telltale's The Walking Dead.

Disclaimer: All opinions stated are mine, and mine alone. Therefore they may not correlate with the opinions of you, or anyone else, and nor can you have them.
    A nice bittersweet conclusion? That is anything but a bittersweet conclusion man how do you figure that? It's completely ****ed up to the point where it is genuinely hard to stomach. There is absolute no good whatsoever in how things end.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Big Knox wrote: »
    A nice bittersweet conclusion? That is anything but a bittersweet conclusion man how do you figure that? It's completely ****ed up to the point where it is genuinely hard to stomach. There is absolute no good whatsoever in how things end. :confused:
    They both live, some would consider that a happy ending regardless of the circumstances of how they lived.

They both live, some would consider that a happy ending regardless of the circumstances of how they lived.
    Joel is a completely broken person, to the point where he would sacrifice everything to fulfill his selfish need to have a daughter. Nothing good of him remains whatsoever and his intentions, are selfishly evil to the point where he no longer cares what Ellie wants or needs. I won't even reference what he has done for the hopes of the surviving population.

And Ellie is now forced to live a life which she no longer wants. Forced to live with everything that has happened and everything that she has done up to this point. She had accepted her role in all of this and was prepared to make the sacrifice for the greater good. I guess you could argue over time she might accept things and live a somewhat normal life but it's very doubtful.

I really don't see how anyone could see any good in the way things ended.

Joel is a completely broken person, to the point where he would sacrifice everything to fulfill his selfish need to have a daughter. Nothing good of him remains whatsoever and his intentions, are selfishly evil to the point where he no longer cares what Ellie wants or needs. I won't even reference what he has done for the hopes of the surviving population.

And Ellie is now forced to live a life which she no longer wants. Forced to live with everything that has happened and everything that she has done up to this point. She had accepted her role in all of this and was prepared to make the sacrifice for the greater good. I guess you could argue over time she might accept things and live a somewhat normal life but it's very doubtful.

I completely agree, seeing the characters in that way at the end of the story is what had me depressed after playing it so i don't consider it a happy ending in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

While I agree with what you say about Joel, Ellie was never given the choice. When she woke up, she didn't know that the Fireflies were going to kill her.

To be honest neither Joel nor the Fireflies give her the choice so neither come off of the whole thing well.

I am still thinking about the ending and that is rare for a game so job done either way.

Otacon wrote: »
    While I agree with what you say about Joel, Ellie was never given the choice. When she woke up, she didn't know that the Fireflies were going to kill her.

To be honest neither Joel nor the Fireflies give her the choice so neither come off of the whole thing well.

I am still thinking about the ending and that is rare for a game so job done either way.
    Yeah I agree she wasn't given the choice of life or death, however she agreed to go through with all of this initially. She wasn't forced to go along with it but she did. The reason she agreed to all of this in the first place was with the hope of making a difference. The journey changed her, people died for her cause and she took life for the cause all in the hope the end would justify the means. She now has to come to terms with everything, something she was very much struggling with already even with the hope of making a difference. Personally this is the biggest emotional factor for me, I really can't see how there is anything but pain and regret left for her.
    God damn you ND! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I agree with this but at the same time I have my doubts as at the end Ellie seems to be struggling with survivors guilt RE: Riley so maybe she had an idea that killing her would be necessary. What if Marlene told her initially and she knew Joel was lying all along :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I really can't see how there is anything but pain and regret left for her.
    I think that is why Joel was so willing to lie to her, not something he really did anywhere else in the story. He wanted to spare her the thought that she could have saved humanity at the cost of her own life.
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    What if Marlene told her initially and she knew Joel was lying all along :o
    There is certainly a possibility Ellie knows but we could be guessing all day.

• Advertisement

Thats the best part. The story has us still wanting moar! :pac:

I think that is why Joel was so willing to lie to her, not something he really did anywhere else in the story. He wanted to spare her the thought that she could have saved humanity at the cost of her own life.

I'd say its pretty likely she knows but is lying to herself.
    She wakes up in the back of a car, half naked wearing only a hospital gown being rushed out of the city not being told why they are leaving.
    She's smart enough to know something is up.

I took that differently. The lie was his final deception. If he told her the truth she would never forgive him and she would most likely leave him in the hope of going back to the fireflys, so he lies to her to allow the relationship to continue for his selfish needs. He shows absolutely no remorse or empathy towards her, disregarding what she wanted (and needed) for herself.

I took that differently. The lie was his final deception. If he told her the truth she would never forgive him and she would most likely leave him in the hope of going back to the fireflys, so he lies to her to allow the relationship to continue for his selfish needs. He shows absolutely no remorse or empathy towards her, disregarding what she wanted (and needed) for herself.
    How long could he keep the lie up though? He'd have to go back to his brother's town, they'd ask what happened and he'd tell them the lie, and it would just go downhill from there.
    I still feel there is something missing from the ending, and although I didn't not like the ending, it didn't satisfy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Spoiler spoiler derka derka mohammed jihad spoiler spoiler! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Its the bit where Joel steps on the rake and it hits him in the face...then Ellie starts laughing only to walk into another rake!

Azza wrote: »
    Its the bit where Joel steps on the rake and it hits him in the face...then Ellie starts laughing only to walk into another rake!

Then a clicker gets them both... terrible scene.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Then another rake gets the clicker!

• Advertisement

Azza wrote: »
    Then another rake gets the clicker!

but then another clicker gets the rake...

Advertisement