Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

There isnt much privacy with the toilet in the middle of the quay imagine the door swinging open half the town would see them!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

wellboytoo wrote: »
    LCDs are most probably in place with the contractor and he has a timescale to finish the works. He would have factored in the summer holidays in or otherwise he will pay the penalty, they seem to be a competent crew with good gear, really don't know what all the fuss is about, traffic a little slow when there are volume issues but that is traffic for you.
    Eggs and omellettes.

But considering how long its taken to get the project done, with the whole stop-start approach, it seems a bit odd that the council felt it was okay to let a contractor take a break a few weeks into the project leaving an island of roadworks with cones all over the place. Its unsightly to say the least and really would have been better to start and finish within a period of time without a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Sully wrote: »
    But considering how long its taken to get the project done, with the whole stop-start approach, it seems a bit odd that the council felt it was okay to let a contractor take a break a few weeks into the project leaving an island of roadworks with cones all over the place. Its unsightly to say the least and really would have been better to start and finish within a period of time without a break.

Yes odd to say the least, Councils were never good at contractual wrangling and never really have the skills needed to wrap up a binding contract and enforce it.
    Point well made .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Eggs and omellettes.

And tourist season..........

Sully wrote: »

But this seems to be the core issue. No-one in the council taking responsibility and the contractor just tipping away at their own pace. The amount of bodies on the ground is paltry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

they are really going to feic up the flow of cars through the town two lanes off the bridgeinto 1 lane wont work only lead to long delays tailbacks and waste of expensive motor fuel in the process......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If they do it right, i'll be happy. One lane either way on the Quay is only a good thing. It will stop ignorant drivers bullying their way through two lanes up along the Quay, and should also stop ignorant feckers who block a lane to get the lotto. And no turning right will be great, less chances of accidents further delaying everyone.

But, they're seriously taking the mick with it. I don't know the ins and outs of what they need to do, but from an outside view, they're taking their bloody time, and the condition of the road is playing havoc with my stiffened suspension - there's a particularly violent drop to a manhole/something just before the lights at the Clock Tower heading towards the bridge, honestly thought something broke when i hit it earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

that sunken shore is there with years :P but i agree its fooking disgracefull to have to drive over that even in a normal car id feel your pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

LCDs are most probably in place with the contractor and he has a timescale to finish the works. He would have factored in the summer holidays in or otherwise he will pay the penalty, they seem to be a competent crew with good gear, really don't know what all the fuss is about, traffic a little slow when there are volume issues but that is traffic for you.
    Eggs and omellettes.

The timescale was 10 June to 19 July for both the quay roadworks and Bridge Street. Both remain unfinished with a significant amount of work still to be done, and the contractor has gone on holiday for two weeks - ridiculous.

Gadgie wrote: »
    The timescale was 10 June to 19 July for both the quay roadworks and Bridge Street.

But did they say which year.............................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Driving up the quay today heading from the clock tower i needed to turn back so i went around the roundabout... i didnt have to drive the whole length of the quay just to turn back :) it was great. The works will be a good thing for the place when they are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

S28382 wrote: »
    The works will be a good thing for the place when they are finished.

Agreed - I'm in support of the works, just not the length of time they're taking!

Hopefully the entire quay will eventually be single lane. Too many people using it as a race track.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The large fit path outside the bridge looks nice but when they remove the barrier they had better put up Bollards to stop cars turning right up bridge st from mounting the pavement. Cars take that turn to fast as it is.

I hope they do something about cars turning right coming over the bridge, anyone that does it holds up whatever is behind em.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I posted a thread about that a couple of years ago and was shot down in flames.....

It really is a disaster there every evening. They should stop right turns at peak times or something. It would be shorter for me to turn there as it happens but I always go straight up the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

The mess on the quay is spilling onto the roads leading to it. Today it took me 25 mins from the fire station to get to city square car park. Madness when I can get to Kilkenny in 20/25mins. No wonder people are going out of town for shopping even with the toll that's going that way to avoid Quay I would get cheaper parking in Kilkenny and use same amount of petrol as I did today going and stopping in traffic.

Wonder are they making the quay route more hassle for people to use in the hope people will start using the Toll more ?

And why did they wait till summer when it's more busy with tourists !
    And don't get me started on that stupid train which is also not helping matters on the quay.

deisediva wrote: »
    The mess on the quay is spilling onto the roads leading to it. Today it took me 25 mins from the fire station to get to city square car park. Madness when I can get to Kilkenny in 20/25mins. No wonder people are going out of town for shopping even with the toll that's going that way to avoid Quay I would get cheaper parking in Kilkenny and use same amount of petrol as I did today going and stopping in traffic.

Wonder are they making the quay route more hassle for people to use in the hope people will start using the Toll more ?

And why did they wait till summer when it's more busy with tourists !
    And don't get me started on that stupid train which is also not helping matters on the quay.

Uh Oh you just started the Kilkenny vs Waterford row. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

Not looking to start a row but can be anywhere Clonmel or Kilkenny. If they want to keep people shopping in Waterford they need to sort out the mess they have made the Quay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dave_Power

Is it true that they are planting trees down the middle of the road? that would look lovely, that is if they plant the right type of trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

S28382 wrote: »
    I hope they do something about cars turning right coming over the bridge, anyone that does it holds up whatever is behind em.:mad:

I think they need to create a third lane at that end to stop the traffic from building up so much. That third lane would be used for cars turning right andwould be very small (allowing 2 cars at max), so it will allow the traffic going from Waterford to KK across the bridge to break into 2 rows of traffic again, once passed that segment.

For cars coming from Reginalds tower to the bridge - have two lanes. Left - for cars that turn left and straight on. Right - for cars going onto the bridge.

For cars coming down the hill/Bridge Street and onto the bridge - 2 lanes, left lane - cars go to left, right lane - cars go straight on (or should we re-allow cars to go right here onto the quay again? If so left lane be just straight on and left)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dave_Power wrote: »
    Is it true that they are planting trees down the middle of the road? that would look lovely, that is if they plant the right type of trees.

It's a terrible idea. Yeah, it'll look nice, but tell that to the families of the people who are going to get killed walking out between them to cross the road!

Low flower boxes would suit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I heard there is now a ship on the roundabout has anyone got a pic

It's a terrible idea. Yeah, it'll look nice, but tell that to the families of the people who are going to get killed walking out between them to cross the road!

Low flower boxes would suit better.
    Thats just Darwinism in action, they're enough controlled crossings on the quays to cross safely , if their to stupid to use them tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

what ye think of the sail ship in the middle of the roundabout by GPO?
    looks alright i think, could be better, could be a lot worse. glad to see it is a good few feet off the ground. I suppose you cant put anything to valuable/big in there - too many bad drivers.

Could make a great story in the pub though,
    "I crashed into a ship on the Quay"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Could make a great story in the pub though,
    "I crashed into a ship on the Quay"!

Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Just saw it on Cllr. Dee Jacques facebook page, anyone know what it looked like the bottom?

I just hope people, especially tourist don't end up standing in the middle of the roundabout getting their photo taken with it :P

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=606796106021605&set=a.606796092688273.1073741837.531073263593890&type=1&theater

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

wendydoll wrote: »
    Just saw it on Cllr. Dee Jacques facebook page, anyone know what it looked like the bottom?

I just hope people, especially tourist don't end up standing in the middle of the roundabout getting their photo taken with it :P

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=606796106021605&set=a.606796092688273.1073741837.531073263593890&type=1&theater

I know your joking but, it aint so pretty/unusual that people would want a pic of standing with it. on the other hand, there is a lot of nuts out there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Max Powers wrote: »
    I know your joking but, it aint so pretty/unusual that people would want a pic of standing with it. on the other hand, there is a lot of nuts out there..

Ah you know it'll happen... After the summer I spent working in the tourist office nothing surprises me.

Advertisement