Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Fugs!! wrote: »
    Doing this in the middle of summer is a joke. This end of town is supposed to become a tourist hotspot. Not if they keep this messing up every summer. I don't care if the works are moving along swiftly. IT SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING NOW!!!

when would you like it to happen ??? (by magic maybe? ) gonna take 6 months - Summer is the brightest days - and in fairness they guys are working till 9 or 10 every night

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Doing this in the middle of summer is a joke. This end of town is supposed to become a tourist hotspot. Not if they keep this messing up every summer. I don't care if the works are moving along swiftly. IT SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING NOW!!!

It's a big job, would you prefer they do it during the winter where conditions and light are very poor?

Also traffic would be much much worse in the winter with all the schools back, doing work during the summer is money better spent and less traffic problems overall due to schools being off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

jennygirl wrote: »
    when would you like it to happen ??? (by magic maybe? ) gonna take 6 months - Summer is the brightest days - and in fairness they guys are working till 9 or 10 every night

Is that the six months they took to do the roundabout at the GPO? Which remains unfinished??:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    Is that the six months they took to do the roundabout at the GPO? Which remains unfinished??:)

In which the originally company went out of business, making the process more complicated to get someone else to resume the work.

Agree 100%. The thing that puzzles me most is they tend to rip somewhere to pieces (i.e. Bailey's new Street) then disappear from it for weeks on end, leaving it a complete wilderness. I would also be interested to know where all the cobble block that's being removed will end up.

Can they not - for once - include penalty clauses in the contract. Middle of the Tourist season, and the place looks like a dump. It's surreal.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    The people doing the roundabout went bust IIRC. The crowd there now appear to be putting down pipes but work is moving quickly. As for Bailey's New Street, I suspect that there is a lot of work putting down the surface that there doing.

It appears most contractors drag out jobs these days to keep people employed I guess.

Not good enough though. Penalty clauses need to be included. I pass down the Quay twice or three times a day, and it appears that:

a) very few people are working on the project

b) the pace is excruciatingly slow.

And who pays? The City's local businesses.

In which the originally company went out of business, making the process more complicated to get someone else to resume the work.

With 400,000+ unemployed I find that very hard to believe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not good enough though. Penalty clauses need to be included. I pass down the Quay twice or three times a day, and it appears that:

a) very few people are working on the project

b) the pace is excruciatingly slow.

And who pays? The City's local businesses.

I'd be in favour of clauses which saw companies doing such jobs work fast and efficiently, rather than progressing at a snails pace. I think this was done on our motorways, a bonus for finishing early or similar.

a) Its Sunday. I wouldn't expect them to work on a Sunday.

b) Since they started work in the past few weeks, I have seen a fair bit of work already done. Its not a job that can be done in 48hrs but they have already made significant progress in their digging up of roads, putting down pipes, putting down a surface over the work and continuing onwards up the quay.

Bailey's New Street appears to be doing more than just replacing a surface, there also appears to be pipe laying and other work before they commence putting down a new surface.
    With 400,000+ unemployed I find that very hard to believe.

You find it hard to believe that companies are going to the wall? Even in the good times, companies went to the wall.

This is a particular type of work which requires a particular type of company that is qualified to do the work, has experience doing this type of work and so on. It also has to go out to tender and that process also takes considerable time.

Now maybe jenny will correct me if I am wrong but I was always of the understanding that the roundabout was stalled because the company which was originally working on it went bust. I could be wrong. If I am wrong, I would be very interested to know why the contractors left before seeing another contractor return and finish the job, and then see another period before the remaining work commenced.

I'd be in favour of clauses which saw companies doing such jobs work fast and efficiently, rather than progressing at a snails pace. I think this was done on our motorways, a bonus for finishing early or similar.

a) Its Sunday. I wouldn't expect them to work on a Sunday.

b) Since they started work in the past few weeks, I have seen a fair bit of work already done. Its not a job that can be done in 48hrs but they have already made significant progress in their digging up of roads, putting down pipes, putting down a surface over the work and continuing onwards up the quay.

Bailey's New Street appears to be doing more than just replacing a surface, there also appears to be pipe laying and other work before they commence putting down a new surface.

You find it hard to believe that companies are going to the wall? Even in the good times, companies went to the wall.

This is a particular type of work which requires a particular type of company that is qualified to do the work, has experience doing this type of work and so on. It also has to go out to tender and that process also takes considerable time.

Now maybe jenny will correct me if I am wrong but I was always of the understanding that the roundabout was stalled because the company which was originally working on it went bust. I could be wrong. If I am wrong, I would be very interested to know why the contractors left before seeing another contractor return and finish the job, and then see another period before the remaining work commenced.

No-one expects them to work on Sunday. You're being pedantic. The roundabout on the Quay is a building site for two years. It is completely and utterly unacceptable for a city the size of Waterford to have that crap on a main thoroughfare for that period of time.

A particular type of company? One that can dig up a road, lay some kerbing and some pipes? For God's sake in Spain they can build a roundabout in three days. And are penalised if they don't. And we're the nation that "built the world"?? This is the problem with Ireland. People accept this level of service as someway normal. No-one appears to take ownership irresponsibility for local business and the city being affected by this carry-on.

It is truly outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Drove the Quay yesterday, what a nightmare! Couldn't turn onto it off of the bridge with the traffic build up. It was amusing/annoying to see people flying up the inside lane, then getting stuck having to merge back into single lane at Clock Tower!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

73Cat wrote: »
    Drove the Quay yesterday, what a nightmare! Couldn't turn onto it off of the bridge with the traffic build up. It was amusing/annoying to see people flying up the inside lane, then getting stuck having to merge back into single lane at Clock Tower!

a nightmare, really? on a sunday? id say tiny inconvenience or tiny delay if any would be more appropriate. I pass it twice a day and it seems fine to me as far as road construction works go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I think it will actually be a good thing cutting the quays to one lane , make it more pedestrian/cyclist friendly.

If you want to get from the carparks to the shopping areas you won't have to cross 4 lanes of traffic.

Certainly seem to be less HGVs since they put in the new roundabout which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Chiparus wrote: »
    I think it will actually be a good thing cutting the quays to one lane , make it more pedestrian/cyclist friendly.

If you want to get from the carparks to the shopping areas you won't have to cross 4 lanes of traffic.

Certainly seem to be less HGVs since they put in the new roundabout which is a good thing.

It won't make it more cyclist friendly, the traffic will be staying away from that large island in the middle, there will be less than 1.5 metres between any cyclist on the left hand side and any bus/truck going up that Quay, in all honest it's only forcing a flash/rub point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The works on the quays are a complete joke.

What is the benefit of putting trees in the middle of the road, nobody will be walking on the island and don't get me started with that roundabout. The planers for that clearly need a eye test before they are allowed make other stupid and un sensible plans.

If the city council were of any use to the city they would put a bus lane either way on the quays and drop the normal traffic down to two lanes and not this silly island which will no use and a waste of money.

Just maybe getting rid of the city council and combining it with limerick might be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Why should it be more pedestrian/cyclist friendly? Its a road. Meant for motor vehicles. That transport people into town to buy things and then transport them and their purchases home.

Oh, sorry. I forgot. The intent is to kill the town centre for shopping completely.

Silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Why should it be more pedestrian/cyclist friendly? Its a road. Meant for motor vehicles. That transport people into town to buy things and then transport them and their purchases home.

Oh, sorry. I forgot. The intent is to kill the town centre for shopping completely.

Silly me.

:mad: Christ what an attitude. Cyclists have as much right to use roads as motor vehicles. Hence roads should cater for cyclists to. Remember roads were invented long before motor vehicles were.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I see plenty of cyclists going down through all the car parks on the river side and I wouldn't blame then.

I have just started avoiding the place again. Pity.

I pass thru the quay twice a day, i have never been delayed for more than a few seconds by an exiting dumper or something. Of course someone on here was probably delayed a minute so 'ITS A BLOODY MESS/JOKE' and the usual bull.

Why would they put trees in the central median...call me simplistic but maybe to beautify the place.
    Why central median...make it easier to cross the road, the whole strategy is to increase vibrancy in the area by making it more pedestrian/tourist/local attractive.
    You would think they are shutting off traffic the way some reactionarys on here scream, no decent city would have loads of vehicle thru traffic. What was a mess was the way the quay has been previous to work starting, 2 lanes, one usually blocked by illegally parked car and other vehicles going 80km thru a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Max Powers wrote: »
    I pass thru the quay twice a day, i have never been delayed for more than a few seconds by an exiting dumper or something. Of course someone on here was probably delayed a minute so 'ITS A BLOODY MESS/JOKE' and the usual bull.

You are obviously not coming from the Dunmore road side so because it is backed up to De La Salle until you get past the clock tower from 4pm till well after 6.

Does anyone know how long the roadworks are scheduled to complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

I too have been caught on the quay for 12 mins as I was going to referee a match. Funnily enough I found that a Sunday was manic on the quay too.

• Advertisement

What was a mess was the way the quay has been previous to work starting, 2 lanes, one usually blocked by illegally parked car and other vehicles going 80km thru a city.

That always astounded me. Parking on a dual carriageway to get a cone. And I bet you it will STILL go on after this!!

dougal wrote: »
    You are obviously not coming from the Dunmore road side so because it is backed up to De La Salle until you get past the clock tower from 4pm till well after 6.

To be fair that road is ALWAYS a nightmare during those peak times and has been for years.

When they first did the roundabout I found delays alright but I appear to have been lucky lately and not been impacted by them. But I generally avoid them anyway and take the bypass. I have always found it near impossible to use two lanes on the quay during the day, people always tend to park on the lane and then you have the buses part blocking the lane outside the hotels. So I tended to drive on the right lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Anyone know what the deal is with the "no left turn" onto bridge street from the quay now?

I know they were doing works at the side of the hotel but there's plenty of room to get up bridge street as there's only one lane coming down bridge street onto the bridge in operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

dougal wrote: »

6 weeks according to a local paper

Assume the trees / works are stopping at the clock tower? The focus seems to be just on there now, good progress being made it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The only issue I'd have with the trees is motorist cant see pedestrians when they are half way across the road.

I had a very near miss in the last year with a man making a run for it from between the trees out side the Cancer charity shop, I missed him by less than a foot.

I was delayed 3 times last week coming from the bridge to the Dunmore Rd at 4:45, delayed for about 12 minutes extra, took a detour every other day since. I could have saved myself a few minuted by veering out into the right hand lane and bombing down the quay only to bully my way into the left lane at the clock tower.....but that's not me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

a nightmare, really? on a sunday? id say tiny inconvenience or tiny delay if any would be more appropriate. I pass it twice a day and it seems fine to me as far as road construction works go.
    its road destruction in this case....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ei9go

I believe the plan is not to allow the left turn from the Quay up Bridge St anymore.

Seems like madness to stop a left turn.

ei9go wrote: »
    I believe the plan is not to allow the left turn from the Quay up Bridge St anymore.

Seems like madness to stop a left turn.

you will just turn left before that as if you were heading to downes's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

To be fair that road is ALWAYS a nightmare during those peak times and has been for years.

It is usually backed up okay but when the schools are out it normally thins out a bit and also it usually takes about 5 minutes, now its more like 15.
    The problem at the moment is that only 2 or 3 cars are getting through the lights at Lombard street as the road is generally backed up coming up The Mall.

It's to be expected given the road works of course but there are delays.

It will be interesting to see the flow once the works are completed.

Advertisement