Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options
1383940414244»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Ok so some like it, some aren't fans at all, but can we all agree it's better than Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Was on the bus yesterday just passed Jordan's but stopped in traffic, heading towards the bridge when an ambulance came behind us and had to go up the other side of the median to get past the traffic jam, (lucky that side was free) and then managed to get back in lane at the roundabout, and this was only at 3.50pm. Life is cheap I guess:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Was on the bus yesterday just passed Jordan's but stopped in traffic, heading towards the bridge when an ambulance came behind us and had to go up the other side of the median to get past the traffic jam, (lucky that side was free) and then managed to get back in lane at the roundabout, and this was only at 3.50pm. Life is cheap I guess:rolleyes:

Sounds like silly drivers not having cop on to pull in left again.
    Let's put sections of it back to 2 lanes, complete with cars parked in outer lane preventing it being used by cars and cars in inner lane speeding and swerving between lanes, get rid of roundabouts and back to cars pulling out in front of and blocking oncoming traffic.get rid of the central median and have people crossing the road standing in the middle of 4 lanes.this would also have the added benefit of creating a hazardous virtual wall between city and river.there was never any delays on the old quays.
    I'm joking of course , to do so would be a backwards decision and fly in the face against what every city in Europe is doing. but these complaints posted by people who seem to think that traffic in as they pass thru a city centre is unacceptable smack of 'get out of my way, I'm in my car' and cyclists and pedestrians 'this is my turf' attitude, not to mention the great Irish sport of whinging without providing decent viable alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

I tell you I rarely use the bypass as I live and work in the city therefore have no reason to be going around it. However I had reason for work to use the bypass today. It is shocking how quite it was. A lot of the way I was the only car on the road. If the traffic situation is going to be improved in Waterford in the short term the tolling on the bypass is going to have to be looked at again. Even if it was reduced to 50c for cars it would increase the number of people that using it would be an affordable option. And Celtic Roads Group would probably still end up making more money than they do now. Bringing the toll down to 50c would bring the annual cost of using the bypass twice a day for work to around €230 that is a big improvement on €880 as it is now. Waterford city needs a reduction in the number of cars using it it is as simple as that. Could Celtic Roads Group not at least trail a 50c toll on weekdays and see how it works??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

It's makes a lot more sense than building another bridge. Another thing.
    Traffic Wardens are conspicuous by their absence around the town during the day.
    Illegal parking on the Quay is a major contributor to the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭JMT2016

jelutong wrote: »
    It's makes a lot more sense than building another bridge. Another thing.
    Traffic Wardens are conspicuous by their absence around the town during the day.
    Illegal parking on the Quay is a major contributor to the problem.

Why do emergency ambulances going to Ferrybank still go via the Quay despite the horrendous traffic mess if the Meagher bridge was suitable? They don't do it because it is miles out of the way - that's why!

Building a bridge to complete the ring road makes a lot of sense not only for the people of Ferrybank and Ardkeen, Dunmore East etc... it would relieve the quay and inner city streets of a lot of through traffic that doesn't need to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Brilliant to see in this weeks News & Star that it looks like the negative public reaction to the ridiculous proposal to make Bilberry one way was successful and it's not going ahead. Delighted with that news.

Can't post a link as read it in the physical paper

lassykk wrote: »
    Brilliant to see in this weeks News & Star that it looks like the negative public reaction to the ridiculous proposal to make Bilberry one way was successful and it's not going ahead. Delighted with that news.

This will probably mean problems for greenway though, not good news.greenway city end needs good easy access, safe access and well signed, at the moment, that doesn't look achievable with that outcome.I would say bad news, changing peoples route in one direction a sacrifice we should have gone with I think, taking into account greenway potential for city and also that road just not suitable for 2 cars and especially so for 2 cars and bikes.

lassykk wrote: »

This will probably mean problems for greenway though, not good news.greenway city end needs good easy access, safe access and well signed, at the moment, that doesn't look achievable with that outcome.I would say bad news, changing peoples route in one direction a sacrifice we should have gone with I think, taking into account greenway potential for city and also that road just not suitable for 2 cars and especially so for 2 cars and bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Max Powers wrote: »

Are you for real? It would have caused huge inconvenience for people living in the Grace Dieu area. It was a stupid idea conceived and supported by people that obviously don’t have to suffer the consequences of it.

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »
    Are you for real? It would have caused huge inconvenience for people living in the Grace Dieu area. It was a stupid idea conceived and supported by people that obviously don’t have to suffer the consequences of it.

I think we'll differ on the meaning of huge here.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

The Council already had plans to widen the road from Grattan Quay to Gracdieu back in 2010/11, Notices were put in the various papers, and online, and site investigations were carried out along the route and in the river. (Part 8 Planning relating to this shows up on the council's planning map search)

Costly but IMO they should think about reverting back to this idea thus reducing the objections against bringing the greenway to the city.

Jambo wrote: »
    The Council already had plans to widen the road from Grattan Quay to Gracdieu back in 2010/11, Notices were put in the various papers, and online, and site investigations were carried out along the route and in the river. (Part 8 Planning relating to this shows up on the council's planning map search)

Costly but IMO they should think about reverting back to this idea thus reducing the objections against bringing the greenway to the city.

If they had the money, that's obviously what they would be doing, however they're skint.I hope they can come up with something because a half ass solution will kill the greenway as far as city end is concerned.nobody wants to bring their kids on to crap dangerous roads, so they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/101280-significant-increase-in-motorists-using-n25-waterford-bypass.html
    There has been a substantial increase in the volume of traffic using the Waterford bypass toll bridge over the last two years.

Figures obtained by Waterford Fine Gael TD John Deasy show that in 2010 175,000 heavy goods vehicles passed through the plaza. That figure rose to 378,000 last year.

Two and a half million cars, vans and motorcycles also used it last year.

In the last two years there was a 44 percent jump in the number of trucks passing through the Waterford toll bridge and a 30% increase in commuter traffic.

The total revenue collected last year was €7.3million up from €6.5million in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/101280-significant-increase-in-motorists-using-n25-waterford-bypass.html
    There has been a substantial increase in the volume of traffic using the Waterford bypass toll bridge over the last two years.

Figures obtained by Waterford Fine Gael TD John Deasy show that in 2010 175,000 heavy goods vehicles passed through the plaza. That figure rose to 378,000 last year.

Two and a half million cars, vans and motorcycles also used it last year.

In the last two years there was a 44 percent jump in the number of trucks passing through the Waterford toll bridge and a 30% increase in commuter traffic.

The total revenue collected last year was €7.3million up from €6.5million in 2015.

Bring on the second bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

108894_large.jpg
    At least one person is thought to have been injured following a traffic accident on Merchant's Quay this afternoon, a number of emergency services are currently at the scene.

The road is currently closed when turning left from Rice Bridge down to the Tower, with traffic being diverted to Bridge Street and Bilberry.

Gardai say the road will be closed til 6 o'clock this evening and to expect delays.
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/108894-motorists-asked-to-avoid-the-quay-following-traffic-accident.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Jesus Christ , I hope no one is seriously injured:(

GARDAÍ in Waterford are seeking witnesses of a serious traffic accident that occurred at The Gladstone Street roundabout on The Quay.

The incident occurred at around 2.15pm this afternoon close to the car park entrance off this roundabout. A child was removed to Waterford University Hospital as a result.

The Quay is closed to all in coming traffic off Rice bridge. All traffic is being asked to avoid the area until 7pm this evening.

Gardaí are carrying out a technical examination of the scene. Anyone who witnessed this accident are being urged to contact Waterford Garda station 051 305300
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/2017/04/07/witnesses-of-serious-traffic-accident-sought/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

beazee wrote: »

Can this accident be Attributed to the modifications to what the title of this thread is caused?

It's a totally inappropriate place to post, just hope child is ok.I'd give OP benefit, just didn't think.

• Advertisement

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Can this accident be Attributed to the modifications to what the title of this thread is caused?

It was posted here against the thread blaming and shaming the council for the modifications made to the Quays.

RIP the Lady that lost her life outside the GPO in 2009. The fatalities were exactly the very reason the "traffic calming" was introduced.

As the quays became quiet - a bunch of posters jumped the bandwagon blaming everyone involved in the project.

Heard the news on the radio this afternoon on the Quays closed due to accident (no further details) and posted the info here for everyone who forgot how dangerous the Quays were (myself assuming car to car collision).

As the new details emerge have to admit this post actually became less appropriate.

But the point stays - quays we're designed with traffic calming in mind even if it leads to long tailbacks in rush hours.

I wish the young fella speedy recovery.

I think you should delete descriptions/comments on accident, its inappropriate,you can't say what happened and most importantly its completely insensitive to those involved.
    THE GARDA ARE LOOKING FOR WITNESSES, SINCE I ASSUME YOU SAW IT, YOU SHOULD MAKE STATEMENT IMMEDIATELY.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Max Powers wrote: »
    I think you should delete descriptions/comments on accident, its inappropriate,you can't say what happened and most importantly its completely insensitive to those involved.
    THE GARDA ARE LOOKING FOR WITNESSES, SINCE I ASSUME YOU SAW IT, YOU SHOULD MAKE STATEMENT IMMEDIATELY.

Already done.

There was at least 50 people there. And at least 300 5 minutes after if you include cars on both sides full of people.

I'd imagine there's at least 5 cameras pointing at the spot it happened as well. Surprised to see that the guards are looking for more witnesses. Unless its protocol in a situation like this. Not sure what else they could be missing.

Hope the young lad is alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I do have information on the condition of the child, though I think it is best not to go in to detail only to say he is in hospital, critical, and hoping he pulls through. Terrible situation for all involved.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I do have information on the condition of the child, though I think it is best not to go in to detail only to say he is in hospital, critical, and hoping he pulls through. Terrible situation for all involved.

You're as about much use as an ashtray on a motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You're as about much use as an ashtray on a motorbike

Wouldn't be so hard on the ash tray on a motorbike, probably has more brain cells then you tbf.

I gave an update on the boy, without going into any specific detail since I don't feel that would be right.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Advertisement